Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:26:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 [821] 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 ... 2557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NXT :: descendant of Bitcoin - Updated Information  (Read 2761529 times)
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 05:54:53 AM

he makes some good points. i really do believe that bcnext is a really brilliant computer scientist but that code is a clusterfuck. it would be nice if someday we could get some serious software engineers to implement these really good ideas elegantly. in time perhaps.

I'm sure that Jean-Luc and the team will rewrite every line of the code. In the end we'll see that there is nothing created by BCNext left, only the idea. What if that was his initial plan? Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rickyjames

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 05:55:30 AM

Where is rickyjames? Cool

Pin

Grin

rickyjames should open his detective agency and accept payments in NXT.

Lol.  You know, the most interesting people I ever searched for were my line of paternal grandfathers.  All the way back to 1523 in Scotland - I'm a member of Clan Gunn.  One of them was a 23 year old who crossed the Atlantic in 1673.

yea i stopped trying to trace back my lineage after learning that 2 of my grandfathers were nazis and one was a southern plantation owner Roll Eyes that was enough knowledge for me on that subject.

DNA - the ultimate blockchain.
swartzfeger

Activity: 350

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 05:59:59 AM

I have to limit my reading on this forum, my paranoia is just under "don't trust the doctors."

If you are ready to take the red pill ( http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_pill_and_blue_pill ), read theeconomiccollapseblog.com daily for two weeks.  At the end of that time, add zerohedge.com to your daily reading for the next two weeks.  At the end of the month, go pour yourself a glass of whiskey and sit on your back porch staring at the woods for an hour and ask yourself just what in the hell is going on.

Ricky, cool to see another zerohedge reader here. I thought I had an idea of what was going on before I found ZH.

For anyone checking out ZH for the first time -- read all the user comments. That's where the gems are. Idiocy, too (like anywhere else) but real insight you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere else.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 06:09:24 AM

he makes some good points. i really do believe that bcnext is a really brilliant computer scientist but that code is a clusterfuck. it would be nice if someday we could get some serious software engineers to implement these really good ideas elegantly. in time perhaps.

I'm sure that Jean-Luc and the team will rewrite every line of the code. In the end we'll see that there is nothing created by BCNext left, only the idea. What if that was his initial plan? Wink

That would be awesome because I have done everything in my power to poke holes in the ideas. They really are very solid. If this dev team really does a top notch job than this thing is going to the moon.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
vanea84

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 06:10:09 AM

I have an idea to include the possibility to transfer nxt less than 1,
0.1, 0.999, 0.005
brooklynbtc

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

AKA jefdiesel

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 06:22:12 AM

First post on nxtnews.co up tonight. A little piece on talking about email notifications at MyNxt.info

http://nxtnews.co/?p=4

Really is a great service. Getting emails when you forge a block is so smart.

SN
S   U   P   E   R    N   E   T
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   
Uniting cryptocurrencies, Rewarding talent, Sharing benefits..

Blockchain Technology.

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 06:29:02 AM

I have an idea to include the possibility to transfer nxt less than 1,
0.1, 0.999, 0.005

U'll still pay 1 NXT fee.
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 06:31:48 AM

How do I look up a NxT address to see how much NxT that person has?

http://87.230.14.1/nxt/nxt.cgi?action=1

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
EmoneyRu

Activity: 600
Merit: 500

Nxt-kit developer

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 06:37:02 AM

How about peer cleaning? Now I have 800 active peers. It is too much for my little node

1380 active peers.

Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 06:46:14 AM

hey cfb i had this idea. i wont claim that its a good idea. but i think its atleast interesting enough to be worth sharing.

What if, rather than being associated with a single public key, entries in the accounting ledger were associated with 2 public keys. One could be used to sign transactions and one could be used to sign blocks. This division would add a lot of protection from theft for node operators. That way only the block signing key would need to be left unlocked meaning that leaving your account unlocked would entail no extra risk of theft. It would help us move towards a point where there is no cost associated with forging so node operators would be more intentioned to forge all of the time even if their chances of forging a block were slim. As it stands right now, someone who is not likely to forge more than one block per year may decide its not worth the risk to leave his client unlocked, where as if this idea were implemented than there would be no risk of theft and so he would have no reason not to leave it unlocked.

perhaps you could also pass it on to jean luc and bcnext just for the sake of giving them something interesting to think about that may lead to similar but better ideas.

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 06:52:42 AM

hey cfb i had this idea. i wont claim that its a good idea. but i think its atleast interesting enough to be worth sharing.

What if, rather than being associated with a single public key, entries in the accounting ledger were associated with 2 public keys. One could be used to sign transactions and one could be used to sign blocks. This division would add a lot of protection from theft for node operators. That way only the block signing key would need to be left unlocked meaning that leaving your account unlocked would entail no extra risk of theft. It would help us move towards a point where there is no cost associated with forging so node operators would be more intentioned to forge all of the time even if their chances of forging a block were slim. As it stands right now, someone who is not likely to forge more than one block per year may decide its not worth the risk to leave his client unlocked, where as if this idea were implemented than there would be no risk of theft and so he would have no reason not to leave it unlocked.

perhaps you could also pass it on to jean luc and bcnext just for the sake of giving them something interesting to think about that may lead to similar but better ideas.

This is an interesting idea, let's discuss it and implement if it's really good, the whole community should take part in the discussion. No need to ask BCNext, Jean-Luc or me.
pandaisftw

Activity: 224

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 06:54:35 AM

Total badass, low-cost, always on, client / hallmark node for the home:

Dual-Core ARM, 2Gig RAM, 8Gig fast Flash onboard, GigEthernet, sub-100$
http://docs.cubieboard.org/products/start#cubietruck_cubieboard3

Curious, where can you get one for under $100? And how hard would it be to set up a node on it?

NXT: 13095091276527367030
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 06:56:03 AM

This is an interesting idea, let's discuss it and implement if it's really good, the whole community should take part in the discussion. No need to ask BCNext, Jean-Luc or me.

The big drawback is that would reduce the total number of transactions that could fit in a block. I wonder how significant the impact would be.

Noitev

Activity: 812
Merit: 505

The Last NXT Founder

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 07:06:21 AM

I completely agree with this. I have 8,000,000 NXT i'm too scared to leave up on a computer....
User705
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 07:20:35 AM

It always felt sort of right that some were willing to risk forging and therefore got that reward for doing it and some could chose not to risk it and keep coins cold so to speak.

Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 07:21:04 AM

I completely agree with this. I have 8,000,000 NXT i'm too scared to leave up on a computer....

i found it! 13695941894527713484  Grin very impressive horde.

Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 07:29:49 AM

+1... but the security threat will still be there because of the infamous Java memory issues in regard to transaction signing.   Undecided

But hey... I wouldn't mind being able to use my block signing key independently AT ALL!   Wink

As i understand it the signing is handled by a c++ library.

(one that i cant get to work for the life of me and its making me want to pull my hair out)

abctc
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1038

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 07:34:13 AM

... no one else is helping me obtain more NXT so I can release this app
- what is your Nxt account # ?

█████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

, the Next platform.  Magis quam Moneta (More than a Coin)
mnightwaffle

Activity: 1002
Merit: 506

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 07:40:52 AM

... no one else is helping me obtain more NXT so I can release this app
- what is your Nxt account # ?
I'll donate a little
Think you should release it and afterwards profit some,,, maybe..?
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 07:44:54 AM

As i understand it the signing is handled by a c++ library.

(one that i cant get to work for the life of me and its making me want to pull my hair out)

I was referring to how our passphrase gets stored in Java memory in certain situations, but I probably didn't get it out right.

From the way I have understood it... even if we were able to unlock so that we forge with this second block signing key, the existing security threat with Java memory and our current passphrases will remain the same.

No biggie if I am missing something... my NXT friends will clear the fog quick!!!   Cheesy

Ok so if there is a leak, that would only effect transactions. Using your account to forge would pose no risk. The block signing key would probably be stored in plaintext honestly because no one would have any incentive to want to steal it so long as there was rule saying that tx fees must be payed to the address holding the stake.

Pages: « 1 ... 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 [821] 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 ... 2557 »
  Print  

Jump to: