Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 08:29:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 [1068] 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 ... 2557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NXT :: descendant of Bitcoin - Updated Information  (Read 2761531 times)
marcus03

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 06:27:19 PM

Regarding voting:

I had the plan to create another entry for the AM contest, but since I am busy with my client and real life I am releasing my notes about this into the public domain. Planned to do this in Python...

It's a bit pointless since I understand that NXT itself will have a voting feature, but I think it would be a nice test run for the NXT core implementation.

Take what you think might be usefull. Smiley

AM VOTING

-Create a voting
   Send a message from address A to A
   With the Text: "voting:<ID>:<VOTING_TYPE>:<TIMESTAMP_START>:<TIMESTAMP_END>:<OPTION1=<OPTION1DESC>>:<OPTION2=><OPTION2DESC>:<VOTING_DESCRIPTION>"
         VOTING_TYPE=ACCOUNTS or NXT (one account, one vote or one NXT in voters account, one vote)
         <OPTION1DESC>
   Client would need to make sure that <ID> is not already in use

-Vote
   Send message to address A with the text "vote:<ID>:OPTION<1..x>"

-Counting   
   Go through all messages between <TIMESTAMP_START>:<TIMESTAMP_END> that start with "vote:<ID>:" in transaction time ascending order
   Keep a lookup list sender account number->OPTION<..x>  (Option voted) and replace existing values in the list (accounts can vote more than once and overrule their previous vote
   If <VOTING_TYPE> is ACCOUNT, simple count the number of accounts for each option
   If <VOTING_TYPE> is NXT, lookup the account balance as of <TIMESTAMP_START> and make the sum of all account balances by voted option

-Voting interface:
   User enters account number where voting takes place
   Client finds all votes on this address (active/passive)
   User can select a voting on this address by ID and can vote
   if multiple messages with the same voting:?id=<ID>: exist, then only the oldest is used (you can't change a voting setup, but need to create a new one with a different id)

-Result interface
   User enters account number where voting takes place
   Client find all votes on this address (active/passive)
   if multiple messages with the same voting:?id=<ID>: exist, then only the oldest is used (you can't change a voting setup, but need to create a new one with a different id)   
   User enters ID of votes he would like to see the results for
   Client sums up (intermediate) results for the vote and shows them

Better format:
Format like magnet links    "magnet:?xt=urn:sha1:YNCKHTQCWBTRNJIV4WNAE52SJUQCZO5C   "

voting:?id=<ID>:vt=<VOTING_TYPE>:ts=<TIMESTAMP_START>:te=<TIMESTAMP_END>Shocked.1=<OPTIONDESC>Shocked.2=<OPTIONDESC>:d=<VOTING_DESCRIPTION>"
vote:?id=<ID>:1

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
utopianfuture

Activity: 602
Merit: 268

Internet of Value

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 06:28:17 PM

i strongly support this. best idea yet.

I support it also although I actually would like to see people have to *pay* to vote (as I don't this has really been tried before and could be an interesting experiment).

Think about it - you can "rig" an outcome by burning up your NXT but how many times can you afford to do that?

Perhaps also rather than just having the NXT being used for such a poll being fed back as fees (which an AM approach would do) why not have the accounts be used for something (but not for what they represent so they can't send themselves money to use).

The thing is i think you could afford to do it a great many times if you profited on each exploitation. So if you could spend 10,000 nxt to have 20,000 payed to you, for example out of the 9million unclaimed fund, then you could use that pay out to do it again, and again, and again.

Probably best to have people vote with tokens and give their votes weight proportional to the stake. The advantage here is that whales will care more about the good of the network than profiting off some small time scam. So we can almost certainly count on the whales to vote with everyones best interest at heart.

The issue of voting have been discussed at length before. This type of voting is too much the rich biased for my taste.

If nxt system develops in that tendency, we are not going to survive in the open source community. Someone will just fork nxt codes and make it more egalitarian. Bad idea I would say. We have to let smaller accounts having a say.

░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐████████████████████████▌
█████████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
  TomoChain  •    •  TomoChain 
░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
landomata
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2014, 06:29:57 PM

I can do this, give me some time :-) (Later today)

Great! So these are basic requirements:

* List of posts.

* A form to post a new issue to vote, with a text field and URL. Maybe optional deadline.

* Each post can have up to 5 or 10 vote options, similar to forums.

* So several vote options are shown to the user.

* Each "vote" button asks to sign some short random id for this post+option with authorization token (would also be nice to explain how to do it).

* The system then gets user address from API, gets age and balance, checks it and saves in DB, attached to this particular post and vote option.

* Show list of all voters for this post with their votes.

Would be nice if the poster could also define the minimal balance and age required.

So you wouldn't use AM for this?

no

NxtChg

Activity: 840

Simcoin Developer

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2014, 06:32:56 PM

AM is too obscure and "techy". We need a nice, clean site with all the issues and votes on display.

There's also no reason to load blockchain, when it can be avoided.

Also, asking users to specify various addresses is just too confusing. It should be: came, saw a post, clicked a button, copy/pasted token, done.

Simcoin: https://simtalk.org:444/ | The Simplest Bitcoin Wallet: https://tsbw.io/ | Coinmix: https://coinmix.to | Tippr stats: https://tsbw.io/tippr/
--
About smaragda and his lies: https://medium.com/@nxtchg/about-smaragda-and-his-lies-c376e4694de9
utopianfuture

Internet of Value

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 06:33:20 PM

Probably best to have people vote with tokens and give their votes weight proportional to the stake. The advantage here is that whales will care more about the good of the network than profiting off some small time scam. So we can almost certainly count on the whales to vote with everyones best interest at heart.

I agree 100%. See my above post  Smiley.

We should vote based on account only but there would be qualifications for eligible accounts: 1. seniority of accounts - have to be created before 1000 block for example
2. have a certain amount of NXT such as 1000.

Let me emphasize again: we can't have a rich-biased system in the open source community. Not going to survive.

░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2014, 06:33:36 PM

The issue of voting have been discussed at length before. This type of voting is too much the rich biased for my taste.

If nxt system develops in that tendency, we are not going to survive in the open source community. Someone will just fork nxt codes and make it more egalitarian. Bad idea I would say. We have to let smaller accounts having a say.

I think if the votes resulted in better distribution of funds from the bigger stake holders then that could only be a good thing in the long term and if the large stake holders are stupid enough to vote for destructive things then they will have ended up destroying their own wealth in the process.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 06:37:09 PM

when do we get voting system NXT self?

Pin

When do u need it?
NxtChg

Simcoin Developer

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2014, 06:39:13 PM

When do u need it?

Yesterday.

Simcoin: https://simtalk.org:444/ | The Simplest Bitcoin Wallet: https://tsbw.io/ | Coinmix: https://coinmix.to | Tippr stats: https://tsbw.io/tippr/
--
About smaragda and his lies: https://medium.com/@nxtchg/about-smaragda-and-his-lies-c376e4694de9
landomata
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2014, 06:40:10 PM

AM is too obscure and "techy". We need a nice, clean site with all the issues and votes on display.

There's also no reason to load blockchain, when it can be avoided.

Also, asking users to specify various addresses is just too confusing. It should be: came, saw a post, clicked a button, copy/pasted token, done.

how can we make sure only Nxters are voting?

Edit: Account numbers as passwords to the site.

bitcoinrocks
Legendary

Activity: 1372

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 06:41:10 PM

How are bitcoin protocol decisions being made at this point?
NxtChg

Simcoin Developer

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2014, 06:41:17 PM

If you have a valid account, you're a nexter by definition.

No need for any passwords. Authorization token covers everything.

--
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 06:41:49 PM

If you only have say a 1/4 chance of getting the bounty *despite* your investment then would you still take that risk?

Maybe not but before we get into an involved discussion about risks and crafting proper incentives, let me ask what is the advantage?

If the advantage is to help mitigate the problem of people voting on things they are ignorant about than i think that maybe the best way to deal with that would be a flat rate fee for submitting a token. Then we have only voters who legitimately care and no concern about people gaming the system.

There would be a trade off here. The more you try to mitigate ignorant voting the more risk you have of corruption. It would probably be best to set the fee pretty low because in most cases ignorance cancels with ignorance on the opposite side of the issue.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2014, 06:44:46 PM

There would be a trade off here. The more you try to mitigate ignorant voting the more risk you have of corruption. It would probably be best to set the fee pretty low because in most cases ignorance cancels with ignorance on the opposite side of the issue.

I agree that the amount to be paid should not need to be more than 1 NXT but I also think that if the total amounts are to be redistributed evenly then someone throwing in a bunch of NXT basically is redistributing their stake as much as influencing the outcome (and if the outcome has only a % chance of directly benefiting them then unlikely they are going to pump that much into it).

Of course designing such a system is no trivial exercise but I think it could be interesting to try something like this out with Nxt.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

utopianfuture

Internet of Value

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 06:45:39 PM

I think if the votes resulted in better distribution of funds from the bigger stake holders then that could only be a good thing in the long term and if the large stake holders are stupid enough to vote for destructive things then they will have ended up destroying their own wealth in the process.

It doesn't matter big holders are wise or stupid. It is a matter of fair representation. Smaller acc holders could leave NXT for a fork if their voice cannot be heard and feel their votes do not matter.

We are building a community here not a club of big stake holders. And if the small acc holders are leaving NXT, there won't be any money to support big-rich-stake holders.

░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
davethetrousers

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 06:47:34 PM

RaspNXT - a standalone NXT environment for the Raspberry Pi

I just modified your run_nxt.sh to be more raspian frendly with some log messages and to enable system startup and stop.

kewl!

I had intentionally left the matter of starting/stopping the server open, so that people could decide themselves how they would like to do it. This seems like another good option for it.

That said, I am in fact planning on enhancing the package myself to a script that does all relevant things on any -nix system, not only the RPi.

CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2014, 06:48:06 PM

We are building a community here not a club of big stake holders. And if the small acc holders are leaving NXT, there won't be any money to support big-rich-stake holders.

If the rich stake holders are "paying" the smaller stake holders in order to "get their way" then aren't the smaller stake holders becoming bigger stake holders?

In PoS what matters is your *stake* so I think anything that helps increase small holders stake can't be a bad thing.

BTW - I am in no way a "big stake holder" so don't think that I am thinking about this "as a whale".

utopianfuture

Internet of Value

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 06:49:18 PM

I prefer a separate voting site to using AM function. No need to bloat the blockchain and we can incorporate the voting site into the clients.

░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
landomata
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2014, 06:50:19 PM

I prefer a separate voting site to using AM function. No need to bloat the blockchain and we can incorporate the voting site into the clients.

what about DDOS of the site? how to stop this?

coolmist

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 06:50:49 PM

I agree 100%. See my above post  Smiley.

We should vote based on account only but there would be qualifications for eligible accounts: 1. seniority of accounts - have to be created before 1000 block for example
2. have a certain amount of NXT such as 1000.

Let me emphasize again: we can't have a rich-biased system in the open source community. Not going to survive.

Ok, this makes sense. Wouldn't want graviton to be able to swing every vote  Wink.  Is there a way to call the maturity of an account?

EDIT: Also, is there a server open for API calls that is already up and running?

utopianfuture

Internet of Value

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 06:51:08 PM

If the rich stake holders are "paying" the smaller stake holders in order to "get their way" then aren't the smaller stake holders becoming bigger stake holders?

In PoS what matters is your *stake* so I think anything that helps increase small holders stake can't be a bad thing.

BTW - I am in no way a "big stake holder" so don't think that I am thinking about this "as a whale".

Well some people just doesn't like the idea that some rich guys can buy their votes. That's enough of a reason for someone not joining the community.

░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
Pages: « 1 ... 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 [1068] 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 ... 2557 »
  Print  

Jump to: