Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 05:06:06 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... 156 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][GRA] Graincoin - New PoW/PoS coin | Fast, secure | Version 1.5 Released!  (Read 176978 times)
cryptomining

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 05:15:31 PM

This coin just became far more valuable because most of the coins that will ever be minted are now minted.  Congrats! Us holders are now richer Smiley

Grin
Jollyburner

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

so many

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 05:08:11 AM

so... dead garbage then?

what is happening? no one says anything, I guess I check back in a week.

dev probly sad his grain died. Sad

|||||||($)||||||| get paid ||||||($)|||||| >>> ATOMIC-TRADE.COM <<< ||||||($)|||||| to trade |||||||($)|||||||
Trade with USD ● Fast and easy support ● Rewards system ● Referral system ● Regular security testing
Fully registered company ● Complete transparency ● Simple trade interface ● Unique trade engine ● Secure API
Nolo

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Whoa, there are a lot of cats in this wall.

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 05:14:04 AM

so... dead garbage then?

Seriously?

The coin isn't dead.  It just isn't PoW anymore.  If you don't understand what that means, why post such a negative comment?  Don't bother checking back in a week.  It still will not be PoW then.  PoS only.  Just send me your grain if you don't want it.  9QsKZ6KPvE5CTv6W4mJbaeSh5ePzFWi3DX

Charlie Kelly: I'm pleading the 5th.  The Attorney: I would advise you do that.  Charlie Kelly: I'll take that advice under cooperation, alright? Now, let's say you and I go toe-to-toe on bird law and see who comes out the victor?  The Attorney: You know, I don't think I'm going to do anything close to that and I can clearly see you know nothing about the law.
19GpqFsNGP8jS941YYZZjmCSrHwvX3QjiC
Nolo

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 05:24:30 AM

so... dead garbage then?
Seriously?
The coin isn't dead.  It just isn't PoW anymore.  If you don't understand what that means, why post such a negative comment?  Don't bother checking back in a week.  It still will not be PoW then.  PoS only.  Just send me your grain if you don't want it.  9QsKZ6KPvE5CTv6W4mJbaeSh5ePzFWi3DX

I dont follow you, all the pools are down and last word was the coin has forked.

The pools will stay down.  They will NOT come back up unless the coin is forked with new code.  You CANNOT mine this coin any longer in the traditional way you mine.  This coin is PoS only.  You only get coins that way now. 

The only forking that has taken place is from PoW to PoS.  This apparently is normal for these types of coins.  Go look and see what happened to COL and ADT.  The exact same thing.  Once PoS became a majority of the blocks, PoW ceased to operate.  There has not been a fix for this. 

ADT and COL are not dead.  Neither is GRA. 

Charlie Kelly: I'm pleading the 5th.  The Attorney: I would advise you do that.  Charlie Kelly: I'll take that advice under cooperation, alright? Now, let's say you and I go toe-to-toe on bird law and see who comes out the victor?  The Attorney: You know, I don't think I'm going to do anything close to that and I can clearly see you know nothing about the law.
luckygenough56
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1012

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 06:28:53 AM

Guess i'll sit on my 83k to keep them warm, we never know.
Jollyburner

so many

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 07:14:35 AM

so... dead garbage then?

Seriously?

im just trying to get some answer as to what this means. I have seen ADT and COL, I realise what has happened.

I don't understand why, but I guess no one really does. my understanding is that there is a flaw in the code no one understands and once this happens its unrecoverable, and is now PoS only. but since no one is saying anything, im not sure what will happen.

just because 2 other coins happened this, then still were ok doesn't mean that will definitely happen here.

and I didn't intend my comment to be negative and I wont be giving away my GRA. I hope it will be this PoS and make it to exchange, I will be rich. but I doubt this will happen so just wondering if anyone or dev(s) have some insight as to what is the plan.

if its going to be forked and start again I want to know what I should do and what it means for my grains, and if not I want to know what we might expect to happen with this PoS model as the only source of new coin. what will it do to coin generating time/? does it still only pay 5% / year or does the steaks get changed to more?

anyways I will keep checking back. I hope devs will say something about what is the plan.

I still support GRA I will help if I can but I don't see how I can do anything to promote GRA when no one can mine it. if we remake it I will support that too.

|||||||($)||||||| get paid ||||||($)|||||| >>> ATOMIC-TRADE.COM <<< ||||||($)|||||| to trade |||||||($)|||||||
Trade with USD ● Fast and easy support ● Rewards system ● Referral system ● Regular security testing
Fully registered company ● Complete transparency ● Simple trade interface ● Unique trade engine ● Secure API
Nolo

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 04:59:13 PM

/snip
'
ok Mr smarty pants Nolo, if this coin just became PoS then how do new people get Grains? Buy the Grains from us?? And if that is the case then you are correct that our coins just got more valuable and it happened rather unexpectedly i presume.

That's correct.  That's the only way to get new Grain now. 

Nolo

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 05:00:04 PM

so... dead garbage then?

Seriously?

im just trying to get some answer as to what this means. I have seen ADT and COL, I realise what has happened.

I don't understand why, but I guess no one really does. my understanding is that there is a flaw in the code no one understands and once this happens its unrecoverable, and is now PoS only. but since no one is saying anything, im not sure what will happen.

just because 2 other coins happened this, then still were ok doesn't mean that will definitely happen here.

and I didn't intend my comment to be negative and I wont be giving away my GRA. I hope it will be this PoS and make it to exchange, I will be rich. but I doubt this will happen so just wondering if anyone or dev(s) have some insight as to what is the plan.

if its going to be forked and start again I want to know what I should do and what it means for my grains, and if not I want to know what we might expect to happen with this PoS model as the only source of new coin. what will it do to coin generating time/? does it still only pay 5% / year or does the steaks get changed to more?

anyways I will keep checking back. I hope devs will say something about what is the plan.

I still support GRA I will help if I can but I don't see how I can do anything to promote GRA when no one can mine it. if we remake it I will support that too.

I think you're right.  As of yet, no one either seems to understand why this is happening with these coins, or how to fix the code so that it doesn't happen. 

theironman

Activity: 288
Merit: 253

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 06:13:46 PM

Guess i'll sit on my 83k to keep them warm, we never know.

Same here!
I have a good feeling about this coin.
dorcorax

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 07:01:26 PM

Any idea why I can't log into http://grain.altminers.com to transfer my grain into my wallet? It's like my account was deleted with all my coins there..
Illusmare

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 07:29:00 PM

Any idea why I can't log into http://grain.altminers.com to transfer my grain into my wallet? It's like my account was deleted with all my coins there..
The owner of the pool closed it. That's all I know. Think I lost some coins there too, but not sure.
Jollyburner

so many

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 09:34:16 PM

The owner of the pool closed it. That's all I know. Think I lost some coins there too, but not sure.

I'd like to know why that's a thing.

assuming altminers mines other coins, why would someone close their pool and leave a bunch of peoples coins in there, or steal them?

wouldn't that ruin their credibility with the mining community?

I know I will never be using altminers again as I think I also had some GRA in that pool when it broke.

I mean if its not their fault they should get on and say something. if you guys think they stole it we should post they are a scam pool.

its not the first time ive seen this either and im only new.

nod

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 09:38:35 PM

Hey GRAIN community !
Do you want me to set up a pool for you ? I already own a Doge pool with approximately 1,800 miners.
suncoastbuddy

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 09:48:48 PM

Hey GRAIN community !
Do you want me to set up a pool for you ? I already own a Doge pool with approximately 1,800 miners.

At present the coin is only pos not pow anymore.  We are waiting on a fix or something from the dev
bosian (OP)

Activity: 406

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 11:34:55 PM
Last edit: December 24, 2013, 12:29:29 AM by bosian

The coin now does not generate anymore PoW blocks, meaning that through mining you will not get new coins. But the coin does generate new coins, through the PoS mechanism. That is, if you hold on certain Grains for certain time, the system will generate "interests" for those coins you hold. The "interests" are calculated based on the "coin-day" of the grains in your account, and PoS blocks with new coins are generated automatically as long as you open the qt client or daemon. This is the so called Proof-of-Stake or PoS.

Because new PoS blocks are continuously generated, the send/receive/transactions will be executed and confirmed. The coin and its blockchain is working on fine. The same thing happened to ADT and COL. Both are continuously trading at cryptsy (and some other exchanges) without any problem.

Nolo, do you know if ADT and COL have any plans to fix it? What they plan to do? I'll check their threads too.

I see two possibilities here:

(A). Keep it as is, until someone figures out the exact cause. So Grain will be a pure PoS-only coin for a while. Nothing is wrong with it. It can be exchanged, new coins will be generated through PoS, and every thing will be fine. As Nolo said, this will make the coin more valuable, since no massive mining generation of the coin anymore.

(B). We can attempt a fork. We can go back a few days, to a point where there are some PoW generation, and fork from there. The problem of this, is that all the existing PoS blocks (and PoW blocks) after this point will be gone. This could cause many people to lose their existing coins. Also it has no guarantee that it will work, it may go back to the PoS-only state. If the community prefer this way. I can try.

What is the reason of this behavior? To be honest, I don't know. The Grain is a clone in the family of PPCoin/NovaCoin, and it has all the latest fixes of the PoW/PoS coin. Many other PoW/PoS coins do not have this problem. Only 3 coins have this issue: ADT, COl and GRA. The reason is probably because these 3 coins all generate big number of coins per block, which could cause overwhelming PoS generations, and thus causing the shutdown the PoW generation. The problem should be in the PoS internal core code. We are continue investigating it, but not expect to find the exact reason very soon.

Please provide your comments, we as a community will move forward. This issue does not really affect the coin itself, it only affects the mining. We are continue seeking for exchanges. As we said, the PoS-only coins work fine, as witnessed by ADT and COL, all exchange and transactions go on very well, and we have no problem for the functioning of the coin and its blockchain.
bosian (OP)

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 12:30:02 AM

It looks like I may have a fix of the issue. Still investigating, will keep you posted.
bosian (OP)

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 04:40:33 AM
Last edit: December 24, 2013, 05:19:51 AM by bosian

OK I resolved the issue! Cheesy

A more closer look and by talking to Zack from ADT lead me to believe that it is a PoW jam that has occurred in other coins before. I did a search, there were a couple of such cases in other coins, and all successfully resolved. ADT is planning a similar approach.

Similar cases occurred at least in CosmosCoin, and Philosopherstone. For example:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=249519.0

So I resolve the issue by blacklisted the block 38847, the 3rd to last PoW block:

// blacklist block 38847
   if (GetHash() == uint256("0x0000000138efd2ac0c90f8cd1c17cf29e07686f9108778d29b9e38228bdc502e"))
    return error("CheckBlock() 38847: hash == 0000000138efd2ac0c90f8cd1c17cf29e07686f9108778d29b9e38228bdc502e");

Now it works again the mining of PoW blocks.

However, to sync to the right chain, you may need a version that have the above code. I am not sure that is a must, you can try to addnode first (then sync and mine):

addnode=66.187.67.233
addnode=72.20.18.200

I will provide a compiled windows client with above code, and a source code main.cpp inclidung the above fix if you want to build the client yourself. And a blockchain files. So in case if you can not sync with the above addnode, you can replace the blockchain and it should sync. The above code is not needed if you already sync'd to the new chain.

Once you sync'd, start to mine, the diff is very low at this time. Wink It's at block 39158 this time.

suncoastbuddy

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 05:10:25 AM

Yeah! Any chance of getting the pools running again
bosian (OP)

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 05:16:58 AM
Last edit: December 24, 2013, 07:17:00 AM by bosian

ok the PoW mining is back... if you can not sync with addnode above, you need to download this file here, please read the following before you download the file:

https://mega.co.nz/#!Mk1HzYpA!eeddQXV3DvRHNbSMLeVuLycfde8sm5mFH-qtlEgxUQA

This is a big zip file (31.7M), which contains 3 parts:
- A Blockchain directory which contains the correct blockchain.
- A file main.cpp, that contains the above code change.
- A windows qt client (grain-qt-withblock38847reject.exe), contains the above change.

If you can not sync with addnode, the first thing you should try is to replace the blockchain. This is what you do:
1. Quit qt client.
2. Go to Grain config dir. create a new directory (for example called oldchain), move the database dir, blk0001.dat, blkindex.dat files to the new dir you created, then move these files from Blockchain in the downloaded unzipped file, to config dir. This way you can always go back to your old chain if anything happens.
3. Now start grain-qt-withblock38847reject.exe, always with the addnodes as above, you should sync and then start to mine.

Let me know if anyone has issue.

Good mining  Wink
suncoastbuddy

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 05:29:08 AM

how do I add node?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... 156 »
  Print  

Jump to: