Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 07:25:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Dwarf FPGA – the anti-ASIC  (Read 43405 times)
xpm-guru_v2

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 01:46:48 PM

Dwarf probably is scared to send out test units because we all know that currently there are stickers hiding chip information. And these test units will be definitely disassembled revealing that chip information. And after that we realize that oh god, this is so easy that I can do it ( or something similar that just puts dwarf into bad light etc. )

Currently there is no information about what chip is used.

This still screams SCAM because after units are sent out, we WILL find out about that PCB . And then the truth is harsh...
I dont think knowing the chip model and layout of the board is enough to make it work.
It's (according to dwarfminer) supposed to be an FPGA so you sill need to create the pathing and program it.
It's not a "any electronician can do it if you have the parts", far from it...

Yes, sorry, it isn't easy, software wise.. But why there is no information about what chip is used? Then we can theoretically check if the math works out...
melpheos

Activity: 557
Merit: 5

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 02:21:56 PM

Dwarf probably is scared to send out test units because we all know that currently there are stickers hiding chip information. And these test units will be definitely disassembled revealing that chip information. And after that we realize that oh god, this is so easy that I can do it ( or something similar that just puts dwarf into bad light etc. )

Currently there is no information about what chip is used.

This still screams SCAM because after units are sent out, we WILL find out about that PCB . And then the truth is harsh...
I dont think knowing the chip model and layout of the board is enough to make it work.
It's (according to dwarfminer) supposed to be an FPGA so you sill need to create the pathing and program it.
It's not a "any electronician can do it if you have the parts", far from it...

Yes, sorry, it isn't easy, software wise.. But why there is no information about what chip is used? Then we can theoretically check if the math works out...
Indeed. If the product is released the chip and architecture of the board will be known no matter what so  there is no much reason hiding it unless...it's a...
Longsnowsm

Activity: 868
Merit: 517

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 02:57:28 PM

The OP actually did say earlier in the thread what is being used. 
melpheos

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 03:04:18 PM

The OP actually did say earlier in the thread what is being used. 

The only thing i read regarding the chip is

--DwarfMiner can you take off heatsink ? So We can see chip under heatsink.
This is a "know how" of team. In addition, if you'll take off heatsink during using, you will lose the warranty.
not.you
Legendary

Activity: 1726
Merit: 1018

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 03:18:07 PM

--What chip, or even brand are you using?
It is not Xilinx/Altera. Spartan-III  can get 1.3-1.5 kh/s, it's true. But most part of the resources will be spent on AES implementation.

From page 3 of the thread. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3628532.msg37196131#msg37196131

Not an actual answer.  Unless I am misunderstanding.
xpm-guru_v2

Activity: 9

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 04:03:24 PM

It is not Xilinx/Altera. Spartan-III  can get 1.3-1.5 kh/s, it's true. But most part of the resources will be spent on AES implementation.

From page 3 of the thread. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3628532.msg37196131#msg37196131

This is not an actual answer. He just states that Spartan III will do 1.3-1.5kh/s. Doubtful that most of the power comes from AES side(i know nothing about FPGA-s tho..).
dhouse

Activity: 266
Merit: 2

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 04:14:10 PM

looking more and more like a scam every passing hour...
melpheos

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 04:51:57 PM

This is not an actual answer. He just states that Spartan III will do 1.3-1.5kh/s. Doubtful that most of the power comes from AES side(i know nothing about FPGA-s tho..).
Would be nice to have the point of view of FPGA dev.
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 05:35:08 PM

Dwarfminer, et al.

One thing I am seriously struggling with is the blatant disregard to answering a vetted trusted member, after the insane amount of requests by the community.

I openly stated on the very first pages I would be happy and willing to verify authenticity, plus, apparently I'm not physically far away - how could a fantastic opportunity like this have been left mute is mind-boggling. Not even a direct response to my offer also raises concerns.

Saying you don't wish to validate your miner through a trusted community member because "they sell just fine without it" openly suggests you have no consideration for transparency and ethos, and are in it for a quick buck.

The business practice is shady, to say the least. FPGA developers do not indeed build websites. But you can hire a teenager to do a better job for scraps. Heck, even a $29 buck shopify store even without a custom domain would look better.

I've seen this pre-order shady model far too many times before. I think the first I almost fell for was Flower Tech back in 2014.
 You PayPal excuses are very lame, and are inaccurate. If you PP someone as friends or family, and not as merchant/seller - there is no dispute possible. Plus, even if such were the case, the 45 day mark does not include shipping and seems terribly coincidental.

You got flagged by Paypal and they locked your account for further ID verification. This happens every day with new ecommerce guys starting out, because either a) recent unverified account b) way too much cash suddenly flows in an is deemed suspicious/high risk. Both of which are relatively easy to unflag with proper verification - but that does not protect the buyers at all.

I can see a small "production hickup" coming near delivery time. Classic run-off

I highly suggest everyone stay clear from this. I really really reeeeally hope no one gets burnt.

My offer still stands of course, but we all know that will never happen. If by chance you wish to prove all us Legendary members who posted here wrong - again, I'd be more than happy to comply.
They have 1500 units left apparently so obviously they dont need someone to validate the item.
There are three possible reasons :
- It's a scam
- The unit does not perform as promoted
- They dont want the units to be bought by only a few persons with deep pockets. If a legendary member confirm the unit is working as intended it would have two consequences : validate the unit so big pockets would buy it in bulk and bring monero team's attention to the project.

I vote 'its a scam' just for PR reasons ANYONE that plugs stuff on bitcointalk KNOWS the history of scams and would be falling all over themselves

to get an independent review and sweep that nonsense from their thread ASAP. Thus why promote such a product without proof on bitcointalk with

its history and act surprised that people want it vetted by trusted members...ie it is a scam...

This supposed product is following the 'obvious' same pattern as BFL, GawMiners, Alpha-Tech, etc, etc, etc. with that much proof you can't tell me at this point

in time it is not scammy as hell, maybe the guy in the car, wants to give the girl 'just a ride' but how likely is that 4 out of 5 times?

scam...not even a very good scam either..we've all probably seen better

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
Meats

Activity: 3

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 05:38:59 PM

Dwarf can be updated. If the next fork will be similar to the previous one changing the firmware will allow the device to function further. This can be done remotely using a unique device encrypted key. We plan to sell updates for a small price.

this makes me nervous. What is the "small" price turns out to be 50k USD each device to update?

I'm interested for sure but weery
gvb

Activity: 140
Merit: 9

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 05:48:49 PM

and what it they send out an update that bricks the miner completely? (on purpose or accidently)
VoskCoin

Activity: 1414
Merit: 487

YouTube.com/VoskCoin

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2018, 06:24:49 PM

7 kH on Monero is $11 *profit* per day or a ROI of 30 days. Why would you sell this? Use the bitmain strategy of mining first and selling later.
If I had such a technology I would plug the first 5000 for myself. And I'm a rather nice guy.
Which really makes me believe it's a scam. Or you're a philantropist. 

Yeah this is very interesting . . eating popcorn waiting to see how this pans out O_O lol

Check out my Crypto YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/VoskCoin
If you enjoy my content click Subscribe
Jocoloko

Activity: 8

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 08:12:18 PM

and what it they send out an update that bricks the miner completely? (on purpose or accidently)
Haven't even seen a video of it working yet. They're already taking orders and decided to use some free platform to sell their stuff which also seems sketchy. Would definitely stay away until people actually get a unit in their hands, not to mention the ROI is less than a month which is stupid, why would anyone sell this for that cheap?
s1gs3gv
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1014

ex uno plures

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2018, 08:49:07 PM

Many of you are over thinking this. To me, its simple. No reputable review, no purchase.
Andy16k

Activity: 72

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2018, 08:53:03 PM

I went through the order process so got as far as getting the BTC address and reference to send to but no further
I responded to their emails stating concerns the item did not exist, asked them to send any evidence that they even have multiple units as there is only a photo of a single unit

They sent me the BTC address within a few hours
But a few days have now passed and I've not heard anything back at all

Sorry but a genuine seller of anything will do what they can to put the buyers mind at ease in order to close the sale

Pretty certain it's a scam... I might be proven wrong but at least I've not lost any money!

not.you
Legendary

Activity: 1726
Merit: 1018

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 09:04:22 PM

I went through the order process so got as far as getting the BTC address and reference to send to but no further
I responded to their emails stating concerns the item did not exist, asked them to send any evidence that they even have multiple units as there is only a photo of a single unit

They sent me the BTC address within a few hours
But a few days have now passed and I've not heard anything back at all

Sorry but a genuine seller of anything will do what they can to put the buyers mind at ease in order to close the sale

Pretty certain it's a scam... I might be proven wrong but at least I've not lost any money!

Can you post the BTC address?
greyday

Activity: 434
Merit: 52

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 10:03:09 PM

It doesn't seem like you're having a problem selling these, but just a thought--if you want to try and sell to people who are more weary of being ripped off, set up an Amazon account and sell there with the price increased to cover Amazon's cut. Amazon WILL refund scammed people (I was scammed on an R4 a year ago and they refunded me without question) and will deal with recovering the funds from the seller on their own time. Again, just a thought, it sounds like a decent number of people in here would rather pay extra for the piece of mind...
GPUHoarder

Activity: 154
Merit: 37

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 10:17:20 PM

I ordered two early on  because reasons, but they never responded to me for PayPal payment or otherwise.

Either they don’t want me to have it or they don’t like my free money. Shrug
JaredKaragen
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165

My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2018, 10:30:18 PM

I want to lock this thread.

But I can't.  Roll Eyes

I'm surprised this obvious scam activity hasn't been cut off by the mods.......   

I know they want to be sure before banning people, etc... but.... this one is pretty blatant guys.....

Link to my batch and script resources here.  

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

Donations: 1Q8HjG8wMa3hgmDFbFHC9cADPLpm1xKHQM
yrk1957

Activity: 529
Merit: 29

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 10:59:47 PM

It doesn't seem like you're having a problem selling these, but just a thought--if you want to try and sell to people who are more weary of being ripped off, set up an Amazon account and sell there with the price increased to cover Amazon's cut. Amazon WILL refund scammed people (I was scammed on an R4 a year ago and they refunded me without question) and will deal with recovering the funds from the seller on their own time. Again, just a thought, it sounds like a decent number of people in here would rather pay extra for the piece of mind...

Not sure how Amazon selling will work across the globe. I think they just need to sort out their Paypal Invoicing.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »
  Print  

Jump to: