Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 03:39:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Dwarf FPGA – the anti-ASIC  (Read 43405 times)
mk111

Activity: 230
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 09, 2018, 08:50:24 AM

Here are a few points that I don't believe have been brought up yet, but make this kind of suspect:

Reference the video here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MLnaZqkoQw

1.  There appears to be 2 cables coming out of the right side of the monitor.  Leads me to believe that the video source isn't really that board.

2.  Why the hell does that board have a vga port to begin with?  Seems rather odd considering the video displayed looks like an 8-bit nintendo and provides little information.

3.  The IE window conveniently has the address bar cut off in the video, so you can't tell if this is just some html file on his C drive.

4.  In the other video he used an ipad that we couldn't see very well as "proof"  Why couldn't he have just mirrored the display like he did in this video where he was showing the config?

Edit:

5.  The LED lights on the network port aren't even lit up or blinking!  That network cable isn't even plugged into anything.

LOL indeed the LAN port lights is not even working.
Wake up people! This is a scam people, you are going to loose your money!!
PRC_May

Activity: 224
Merit: 15

View Profile
June 09, 2018, 09:21:21 AM

7 kH on Monero that very good

but we want see video when you run this miner

if you got this number of hash ... why you dont use it for you and all profit will go to your wallate Huh
Iamtutut

Activity: 1120
Merit: 131

View Profile
June 09, 2018, 09:39:15 AM

The fact remains, that when you mine, you essentially transform energy (the watts) into information, it's simple physics. Information is energy. Being able to hash at 3.5Kh/s for 10W just doesn't seem right, you're near 100% efficiency. And don't get me wrong, but looking at the pictures of the miner, it doesn't look like much...

If I were you, I'd produce 1000 and run them myself and just dump whatever I mine to make a shit ton of $$$$.

If someone trusted on here confirms that your miner does what you say it does, then I'll be the first to order 10 from you. But until then, this is a scam in my books.

Your argument about selling a money priting machine cheaply is very fine.

But the power argument is in-correct, the Baikal N240 does 240Kh/s at 650W, almost same power per watt...

One is an ASIC, custom made for an algo, the other is not. Unless there is a huge tech / price gap (eg 130nm ASIC vs 7nm FPGA...) an FPGA can not compte against an ASIC on ONE specific algo.
melpheos

Activity: 557
Merit: 5

View Profile
June 09, 2018, 09:56:16 AM
Last edit: June 09, 2018, 12:10:35 PM by melpheos

Here are a few points that I don't believe have been brought up yet, but make this kind of suspect:

1.  There appears to be 2 cables coming out of the right side of the monitor.  Leads me to believe that the video source isn't really that board.

2.  Why the hell does that board have a vga port to begin with?  Seems rather odd considering the video displayed looks like an 8-bit nintendo and provides little information.

3.  The IE window conveniently has the address bar cut off in the video, so you can't tell if this is just some html file on his C drive.

4.  In the other video he used an ipad that we couldn't see very well as "proof"  Why couldn't he have just mirrored the display like he did in this video where he was showing the config?

Edit:

5.  The LED lights on the network port aren't even lit up or blinking!  That network cable isn't even plugged into anything.

Those are LAN ports without LED !!!
Maybe it's a scam but saying it's a scam because the port that does not have led is not lightening is kinda stupid
astraleureka

Activity: 236
Merit: 16

View Profile
June 09, 2018, 11:03:56 AM

new but just so curious......
WHERE Smiley jpg file

Could that be a Microsemi SmartFusion FPGA? Has a similar look to the chip on their eval board (https://www.microsemi.com/existing-parts/parts/143985)

Or is the Dwarf chip physically larger?

The specs on this Microsemi FPGA are far too weak to even do a single instance of Cryptonight. To get the hashrate he's claiming you'd have to run multiple instances of the algorithm simultaneously, especially since FPGAs have many limitations preventing high clock speeds.
OTC_Buyer

Activity: 92

View Profile
June 10, 2018, 03:52:44 AM

Guys! It was an announcement only. Video and full information will be available within a few days.
Please do not send technical questions to the e-mail! Our sales managers can not answer. This is for sale only. I will answer here whenever possible.

What is purpose of the PSU terminal that isn’t being used on the power supply plug?
OTC_Buyer

View Profile
June 10, 2018, 04:22:09 AM

notice all posts about having the product verified by a trusted member get completely ignored?

Ironically this post will probably be quoted and replied to but none of the real questions asked previously will be answered......
I have emailed the OP and suggested it to him too.
We'll see what happens. No way anyone should send any money without there being any tangible proof or escrow service.

YOLO!
I put my order in today. 😁
OTC_Buyer

View Profile
June 10, 2018, 05:28:42 AM

I am happy to sample a unit, I will pay full price once it arrives and does what it says it will do.

This is a win-win right here!

sadly, for the sixth or seventh consecutive time, it will go on deaf ears.

yeah....if this was legit....people would be writing articles on this...as it is no proof no articles thus no good press...thus no sales...so the evidence is that it is

either a 1) a scam or 2) they have their head up their ass on how to really move asic product with a review

pass

be nice if I was wrong in the future...sounds like an ok toy in concept..but then again I always wanted to be Natalie Portman's "love puppet" but some things

are not meant to be....

See statement in bold .... lost all credibility because this is FPGA and not ASIC ... just sayin
nsummy

Activity: 1179

View Profile
June 10, 2018, 05:38:40 AM

Edit:

5.  The LED lights on the network port aren't even lit up or blinking!  That network cable isn't even plugged into anything.
1. PSU and VGA power cable (another vga cable could be hidden behind the stand or the voltage controller
2. Monitoring the board maybe, a vga port and a display chip cost nothing
3 . IE window ?
4. that's possible is there is a hidden VGA cable

I realize that a vga connector costs nothing, just a weird thing to include on the board when usually these things are pared down to just the essentials.  And by IE window, I mean internet explorer window.  If you look at this pic:  https://dwarfminer.webasyst.cloud/wa-data/public/site/img/6-2.jpg  you can see the psu power cable goes out the left side.
nsummy

Activity: 1179

View Profile
June 10, 2018, 05:41:20 AM

Edit:

5.  The LED lights on the network port aren't even lit up or blinking!  That network cable isn't even plugged into anything.

Those are LAN ports without LED !!!
Maybe it's a scam but saying it's a scam because the port that does not have led is not lightening is kinda stupid

I took a closer look and you are indeed correct, the jack doesn't have a light.  Still bizarre that there are a bunch of other unneeded led lights on the board (voltage indicator?!?!) but not anything to show network traffic.  And to include a vga cable but the display output can't show the full pool address or ip address or anything? 
OTC_Buyer

View Profile
June 10, 2018, 06:26:50 AM

Can this be configured for static IP or does it use DHCP only??
OTC_Buyer

View Profile
June 10, 2018, 06:35:12 AM

[quote/]
I took a closer look and you are indeed correct, the jack doesn't have a light.  Still bizarre that there are a bunch of other unneeded led lights on the board (voltage indicator?!?!) but not anything to show network traffic.  And to include a vga cable but the display output can't show the full pool address or ip address or anything? 
[/quote]

I think that LED is the hr indicator if hashing full or not. Watch video again, but I could be wrong who knows yet.
melpheos

Activity: 557
Merit: 5

View Profile
June 10, 2018, 06:42:18 AM

I realize that a vga connector costs nothing, just a weird thing to include on the board when usually these things are pared down to just the essentials.  And by IE window, I mean internet explorer window.  If you look at this pic:  https://dwarfminer.webasyst.cloud/wa-data/public/site/img/6-2.jpg  you can see the psu power cable goes out the left side.

Looks a bit thick for a vga cable.
Don't know honestly but there are for more shady things to go about than the video/pictures.

But after all even senseless or gpuhoarder right now are running preorder without much proofs as well. They are trusted member of the community but they could also be making stuff up with fake picture/video (not that they are but they could be)
Well will see in a week or so anyway. I think they are sold out now so there is noone left to protect Smiley
JaredKaragen
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165

My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2018, 07:37:53 AM

imagine this:

draft up a reasonable looking proto board.

Check.

Assemble a unit with packages that fit.

Check.

Be very nondescript and collect some money.

Check.

Use a portion of those funds to order 1000x of the board you had made in the first place. (not that expensive via many online services)

Check.

Use those boards to entice more $ on top:  icing on the cake.

Now I could be wrong about all of this.

But Dwarf has made it very clear that he wants to not provide any actual proof of a valid working product as described.    Literally smoke and mirrors, on top of shady payment systems... keep me curious to see this unfold.

If it actually ends up being a product that is actually as Dwarf previously said it is, then more power to him... but until then, you have only given evidence and speculatory information.  Nothing concrete about an actual physical product that operates as you describe and is validated by a known trusted 3rd party.  You havent even left a device online for a consistent amount of time working to an address that can be checked publicly.   Soo many easy steps to not be a(n) (insert any word here).

I care not if the LED on the LAN port works.  Some devices have them.  Some do not.
VGA output is most likely a part of some sort of development mode for the FPGA or its controller.... This could be a fancy looking clone of a proto board.  
It did appear as if some sort of package was mounted with a few others that had the same appearance as memory and fpga IC's do.... but without seeing clearly what they are;  no clue to this point.

Hiding the FPGA's part/model number is kinda silly at this point if you are willing to divulge what it is in previous posts.  you already have the edge on a product supposedly... so... kinda not really a logical choice.

I am in to see an actual product verified before I consider "investing" in something that may be still a work in progress or "vaporware".

Link to my batch and script resources here.  

DO NOT TRUST YOBIT  -JK

Donations: 1Q8HjG8wMa3hgmDFbFHC9cADPLpm1xKHQM
duyquang06

Activity: 154
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 10, 2018, 01:48:13 PM

So still no user review and don't have any specific video from ppl who ordered.  Grin

I will sit here and we have time, right? Cheesy
Longsnowsm

Activity: 868
Merit: 517

View Profile
June 10, 2018, 01:52:04 PM

Unless the dates changed I think the ship date was to start on the 18th.  So 8 more days and people should start getting some sort of shipping confirmation.  Then just wait for them to arrive and for users here to start testing them.   Wink
OTC_Buyer

View Profile
June 10, 2018, 02:10:34 PM

I keep seeing others complain about wanting to see more on the unit ... correct me is I am wrong but I have also read OP state more than once the prototypes are in China for reference while they are building them at the moment. June 18th to Jul 2nd is the make or break dates of this getting real IMO. I’m sure all units are sold out now too so just sit back with your popcorn to see this unfold.
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
June 10, 2018, 07:07:14 PM

I am happy to sample a unit, I will pay full price once it arrives and does what it says it will do.

This is a win-win right here!

sadly, for the sixth or seventh consecutive time, it will go on deaf ears.

yeah....if this was legit....people would be writing articles on this...as it is no proof no articles thus no good press...thus no sales...so the evidence is that it is

either a 1) a scam or 2) they have their head up their ass on how to really move asic product with a review

pass

be nice if I was wrong in the future...sounds like an ok toy in concept..but then again I always wanted to be Natalie Portman's "love puppet" but some things

are not meant to be....

See statement in bold .... lost all credibility because this is FPGA and not ASIC ... just sayin

they are copying the ASIC scam's IMHO, I don't remember a previous FPGA scam...they came out in force before 2013...so can ONLY

go buy marketing and such of ASIC products....and essentially, they have a 'hidden' product....most hidden products are just that hidden for 1 of 2 reasons

1) you want to farm yourself in your own data hall and announce SHIPPING a product that you have over to cover development costs....

or

2) it is all smoke and mirrors and a scam

again, they are not following any sensible marketing, nor any sensible proof that they are not a scam, if they are OK with the majority of folk

thinking their product is a scam...then from a marketing point of view...they likely are a scam...legit release of any product ... can't follow this

logic..they would LOSE SALES...so it is stupid...thus if the marketing is wrong/stupid or they don't defend

themselves with real videos and independent reviews..the only thing left was the hot air balloon of a scam

sorry for your loss, those who bought into this

brad

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
bittawm
Legendary

Activity: 1894
Merit: 1087

View Profile
June 10, 2018, 07:19:40 PM

if this was a legitimate product and the OP wanted to sell it,

He would make every effort to validate his product.

I am calling....

SCAM

@bittawm is my real telegram
@bittawm is my real twitter
beware of impersonators
OTC_Buyer

View Profile
June 10, 2018, 07:31:49 PM

if this was a legitimate product and the OP wanted to sell it,

He would make every effort to validate his product.

I am calling....

SCAM

The way I personally see it is don’t create too much demand before you can handle supply (otherwise you can hurt a new business ... same thing happened to when I opened my restaurant and newspaper put us on front page when we weren’t ready) and can understand some views of what they said already about not giving too much about hardware before they can get it out. See this happen with Baikal come out and boom Bitmain pulls the rug on them. I know you have a website yourself and a following but when I first started cryptocurrency I was leary of your website too. If I am wrong then shame on me and life learned lesson but at same time YOLO in my case and I am a gambler.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »
  Print  

Jump to: