Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 02:11:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 [360] 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Catcoin - Scrypt meow!  (Read 470674 times)
rentarocker

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 06:33:08 PM

Still holding CAT; I made the mistake of taking some BTC out to put in RonPaulCoin  Undecided

Rather than take it out of Coinedup, I moved it to Graincoin (GRN).  Has some interesting features (pays interest, gives superblock rewards) that seem to solve some of the problems with retaining miners.  Just had it's IPO on Coinedup.  Anyone else in CAT similarly diversifying?  GRN seems worth putting at least a bit of BTC in…maybe I'll make up some of the BTC I lost on RPC.

BTC:  17Z1au1T1f8B4XhFQXeuibKbRmWow6FyvP
LTC:  Lf7QWUDC57WnRf5gEcutdHwrXvYRoqaQYU
Nullu

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 06:37:20 PM

Still holding CAT; I made the mistake of taking some BTC out to put in RonPaulCoin  Undecided

Rather than take it out of Coinedup, I moved it to Graincoin (GRN).  Has some interesting features (pays interest, gives superblock rewards) that seem to solve some of the problems with retaining miners.  Just had it's IPO on Coinedup.  Anyone else in CAT similarly diversifying?  GRN seems worth putting at least a bit of BTC in…maybe I'll make up some of the BTC I lost on RPC.

I actually started mining grain a few days ago before it hit coinedup. I'm disappointed it hit the exchange this early, however with an active dev and working PoS blocks I'll be buying my share when it's cheap.

BTC - 14kYyhhWZwSJFHAjNTtyhRVSu157nE92gF
foaman

Activity: 274
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 07:07:06 PM

Installing new card drivers now. Tense moment as I see whether my PSU can handle two high powered cards.  Undecided

I'm trying to get a new gpu aswell to help with the hash rate, don't know if I should get a 7950, a 280x or a 290, kind of tight on money right now and although it's an investiment with return so I don't know how should I handle this ..

Well, I have it working alongside my GTX 670 now.

The R9 280x provides nice bang for buck, but it runs pretty hot. It's fine though, as they can take the heat, but when it gets to max temp I drop from 700mhash/sec to 635mhash/sec, so realistically to get max performance I'll need to watercool it. It's a bit annoying that I bought the best performing/cheapest R9 280x that I could find, because I'll have to buy a Universal GPU waterblock to cool it now, as it's a non-reference board. Oh well. It'll still be way better than the stock air cooler. A decent 240 radiator should keep it running at 700mhash.  Smiley

Nullu have you tried a volt modded bios?  I dropped the core voltage on both of my 280x from 1.2v to 1.1v.  Temps went from 80c down to 70c. it is a surprisingly easy procedure.
Nullu

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 07:19:55 PM

Installing new card drivers now. Tense moment as I see whether my PSU can handle two high powered cards.  Undecided

I'm trying to get a new gpu aswell to help with the hash rate, don't know if I should get a 7950, a 280x or a 290, kind of tight on money right now and although it's an investiment with return so I don't know how should I handle this ..

The R9 280x provides nice bang for buck, but it runs pretty hot. It's fine though, as they can take the heat, but when it gets to max temp I drop from 700mhash/sec to 635mhash/sec, so realistically to get max performance I'll need to watercool it. It's a bit annoying that I bought the best performing/cheapest R9 280x that I could find, because I'll have to buy a Universal GPU waterblock to cool it now, as it's a non-reference board. Oh well. It'll still be way better than the stock air cooler. A decent 240 radiator should keep it running at 700mhash.  Smiley

Nullu have you tried a volt modded bios?  I dropped the core voltage on both of my 280x from 1.2v to 1.1v.  Temps went from 80c down to 70c. it is a surprisingly easy procedure.

Do I have to flash my bios? I'm reluctant to do anything that could cause me to brick my motherboard. Someone suggested I try MSI Afterburner to undervolt.

dzsudzsu7

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 07:26:48 PM

Do I have to flash my bios? I'm reluctant to do anything that could cause me to brick my motherboard. Someone suggested I try MSI Afterburner to undervolt.

Do that, i use afterburner to undervolt too.
foaman

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 07:27:28 PM

Installing new card drivers now. Tense moment as I see whether my PSU can handle two high powered cards.  Undecided

Nullu have you tried a volt modded bios?  I dropped the core voltage on both of my 280x from 1.2v to 1.1v.  Temps went from 80c down to 70c. it is a surprisingly easy procedure.

some are factory unlocked and that might work mine was not I had to flash it yes.  as I was trying to find the lowest voltage the card would run at stable I must have flashed each card over a dozen times. the process seems very safe but I guess technically there is always a very small chance of a brick but I myself I not worried about that.  only way that could happen is if you kill the power during the flash which only takes 60 seconds or less, but I understand your fear Smiley

saving 10° C though, both of my cards say "thank you" to me each time I walk past them.  its very faint but I can hear their whisper.

for the record I run ASUS 280x
hozer

Activity: 271
Merit: 254

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2014, 07:28:04 PM

I actually started mining grain a few days ago before it hit coinedup. I'm disappointed it hit the exchange this early, however with an active dev and working PoS blocks I'll be buying my share when it's cheap.

Graincoin? So how do I sell grain futures in graincoin?

What the hell does graincoin have to do with grain? We have a corn farmer (me) developing catcoin (https://bitbucket.org/dahozer/catcoin ), and graincoin is... um.. another premined altcopycoin? They could have at least tried to index to commodity grain prices or something creative. I'm at least going to try to release a future version of Catcoin that adjusts the amount of coins in circulation until 1 catcoin is about the lifetime cost to the human to be owned by a cat.
envy2010

Activity: 168

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 07:38:07 PM

+1 on Afterburner. I use it to undervolt, and also to control fanspeeds automatically and monitor everything. Best tool I've found so far.
Nullu

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 07:42:34 PM

+1 on Afterburner. I use it to undervolt, and also to control fanspeeds automatically and monitor everything. Best tool I've found so far.

I'm a bit worried about messing with the voltage on my card. The voltage is unlocked, but I know so little about undervolting. I don't want to break my card.

hozer

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2014, 07:45:29 PM

New Catbox (testing) catcoin release

https://bitbucket.org/dahozer/catcoin
https://bitbucket.org/dahozer/catcoin/downloads/catcoin-0.8.8.tar.gz

Caturday, Jan 11: Silly_Sheeple release:

difficulty adjustment every block, based on last 36 block.
Increase COINBASE_MATURITY.
Play with the coinhoppers before eating them

------------

This is my catbox release of Catcoin, that has been relicensed under the AGPLv3, and includes p2pool (tested) as well as counterpartd(not tested) in the same build tree.

this version DOES A HARDFORK at block 20999 to adjust the difficulty every block, based on the last 36 block average. While this will not fix all the issues with coinhoppers, it's very much like a cat playing with an insect (in our case, a coinhopper) before eating it.

And since Cats are not herd animals, I'm going my own damn way and releasing, and it will either be a good test with the hash I bring, or some of you cats might decide to come along and join the p2pool(s) (kittyco.in/p2pool) in search of tasty coinhoppers.

Expect another release and hardfork next Caturday. Cats are agile animals, and this is Agile cryptocoin development. If you want a tested coin, go back to bitcoin, or finance my fiat expenses so I can test this properly on the -testnet.
MadMatt

Activity: 63

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 07:46:06 PM

I'm ordering a 5x 280x rig on monday! Can't wait to set this beast up.

On a side note, there's been a shit ton of buys today

Reputation Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=433534.0
LeaseRig.net Bot Name: MinerMatt Running @ ~3.54Mh/s
SlimePuppy

Activity: 657

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 07:49:20 PM

Should you feel like flashing at some point in the future, there's a thread on another forum with custom-tweaked mining BIOS files.  They're done by a gent with a good rep in the overclock world as well as the mining world - The Stilt.  There's also some excellent fact-based info on tuning the 79xx/280x cards (no rubber chicken needed!).

Here's the start of the thread:  https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=12369.0
Here's one of the 'summary' lists of cards and tuned BIOS files: https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=12369.255
The tuning is tailored to the GPU's memory so it's critical to know exactly what's installed on the card.  The Stilt's utility is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9de7jtptoqqccyf/Tahiti_GDDR5_Info.zip and TechPowerUp has a utility here: http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2326/asus-radeon-memoryinfo-1-005/

Enjoy!
Maverickthenoob

Activity: 70

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2014, 07:59:43 PM

Guy's, no offense but would it be possible to try and keep this thread on topic. I'd be glad to help any of you out with hardware issues, but this isn't really the thread for it. THat being said, can someone take a look at hozers proposal?

Board of Directors - Catcoin
Personal: CAT: 9pndWw3qmPiWm2jQRw5pRAVEfJN4LzaD1f  BTC: 1Jo1394CraTgC8bKFzDdEMdks2DroB6VBe
CAT Dev Donation CAT: 9gZpz58KzYr1WKBN8DfPkZPAEt5wfZ4UKT BTC: 1MeRkKfRRfC86BQWEx5gsq68bDHe7dgs3o
foaman

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 08:30:22 PM

Installing new card drivers now. Tense moment as I see whether my PSU can handle two high powered cards.  Undecided

Nullu have you tried a volt modded bios?  I dropped the core voltage on both of my 280x from 1.2v to 1.1v.  Temps went from 80c down to 70c. it is a surprisingly easy procedure.

I'm a bit worried about messing with the voltage on my card. The voltage is unlocked, but I know so little about undervolting. I don't want to break my card.

you wont break anything undervolting.  1.1v is pretty safe for a 280x.  the only thing that will happen if the voltage is too low is your PC will lock up.  reboot it if that happens and add another .01v to 1.11 and try again keep adding .1 each time it locks up until it no longer does and that is the lowest voltage your card will run at.
foaman

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 08:31:35 PM

Guy's, no offense but would it be possible to try and keep this thread on topic. I'd be glad to help any of you out with hardware issues, but this isn't really the thread for it. THat being said, can someone take a look at hozers proposal?

agreed, sorry.  ill PM him with another other questions.
SlimePuppy

Activity: 657

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 10:11:30 PM

And since Cats are not herd animals, I'm going my own damn way and releasing, and it will either be a good test with the hash I bring, or some of you cats might decide to come along and join the p2pool(s) (kittyco.in/p2pool) in search of tasty coinhoppers.

Expect another release and hardfork next Caturday. Cats are agile animals, and this is Agile cryptocoin development. If you want a tested coin, go back to bitcoin, or finance my fiat expenses so I can test this properly on the -testnet.
Could you please clarify your release plans at a newb level?  Are you planning your own personal fork in the 'real world' or are you still testing this?

Additionally - anyone have any idea who keeps killing our difficulty transitions?  This is the first coin I've watched and without a real clue it certainly looks like we're routinely under attack.
skillface

Activity: 210

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 10:53:00 PM

Could you please clarify your release plans at a newb level?  Are you planning your own personal fork in the 'real world' or are you still testing this?

Additionally - anyone have any idea who keeps killing our difficulty transitions?  This is the first coin I've watched and without a real clue it certainly looks like we're routinely under attack.

I'd think it's pretty common knowledge by now that CAT is suffering from some pretty extreme difficulty oscillation. It could be opportunistic miners, a profit-switching pool, a solo miner with a hashfarm or a combination of the three. Pretty sure a solo miner or pool caused it to begin with though.
zerodrama

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 10:57:40 PM

I'd think it's pretty common knowledge by now that CAT is suffering from some pretty extreme difficulty oscillation. It could be opportunistic miners, a profit-switching pool, a solo miner with a hashfarm or a combination of the three. Pretty sure a solo miner or pool caused it to begin with though.

I'm gonna give it a shot. I think I know what the problem is.

EASY CALCULATION FOR TRADES: 1 Million is 1x10e6. 1 Satoshi is 1x10e-8. 1 M sat is 1x10e-2. 100 M sat is 1. If 1 herpcoin = 100 derptoshi then
1 M herpcoin @ 001 derptoshi = 0.01 derpcoin, 1 M herpcoin @ 100 derptoshi = 1.00 derpcoin
Post Scarcity Economics thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3773185
skillface

Activity: 210

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 11:01:37 PM

I'm gonna give it a shot. I think I know what the problem is.

Give what a shot? I'm lost.
hozer

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2014, 11:28:22 PM

I've tested it as much as I really can without a working -testnet.

It's live, see http://kittyco.in/p2pool , and it's up to you all to vote with your hashes on which side of the fork at block 20999 you want.

And yes, I suppose you could say 'under attack', but it's really just a product of rational profit-seeking behavior, which is an easily programmable fix. The first step is get everyone used to hardforks every Caturday until we get more user-friendly behavior.
Pages: « 1 ... 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 [360] 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 »
  Print  

Jump to: