Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:10:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANNOUNCE] SolidCoin - new and improved block chain. Secure from pools  (Read 85445 times)
sharky112065

Activity: 383
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 03:39:23 PM

I believe that is what you want anyway though, as you want this crypto currency fork to fail so you can protect your invenstment in Bitcoin.
Oh, and you don't want to protect your invenstment in solidcoin?

Not really. I don't really have much invested in either of them. May the best or both win IMO. I just hate all the bashing that is going out at this way too early stage.

Donations welcome: 12KaKtrK52iQjPdtsJq7fJ7smC32tXWbWr

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
coblee
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1651
Merit: 1284

Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 03:41:50 PM

Oh, and if you want to talk, then defend your reasoning for your changes. So far (AFAIK) you have just been claiming SolidCoins is so much better than Bitcoins without any real evidence.

Why 32 coins instead of 50? Just to be different or is there a valid reason that 32 is better?

Why 2%, 6%, and 10%? Like someone suggested, you could have made a constant change to cap the difficulty increase at 10%. That would have accomplished nearly the same thing as your complicated change, which could potentially introduce bugs or security holes. What's the point of 2% and 6%, other than inflating the number of coins faster than it should? Does increasing difficulty by only 2% and 6% really do anything material? Have you run simulations to see what it does? Or is just because you felt like it was the right thing.

Why 3 minutes target for blocks? Have you done network analysis to show that 3 minutes is the optimal time? Or did you just choose it because it felt right and 10 minutes felt too long? Have you analyzed how susceptible 3 minute blocks are to blockchain forking or double spend attacks?

If you really want others to believe in the SolidCoin hype, these are the questions you need to answer.

Still waiting for an answer...
Saying that you did not do the analysis and the simulation is a perfectly ok answer. People need to know if these decisions were made with solid (pun intended) data or was it just a stab in the dark.

And for those that claim that satoshi's 10 mins was also a stab in the dark... you are probably right. But satoshi released bitcoin with nothing like it at all. So he had nothing else to copy and make better. There's now 2 years of bitcoin network data that you can study. If CoinHunter did study the bitcoin network and figured that these numbers were optimal, then props to him. If not, then how is solidcoin much better than the other pump and dump coins like ixcoins and i0coins.

CoinHunter (OP)

Activity: 252

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 04:08:44 PM

What's coming boys and girls?

Try SolidCoin or talk with other SolidCoin supporters here SolidCoin Forums
Lorna Morgan

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

I like Bitcoin, Monero and BCash

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2011, 04:19:22 PM

What's coming boys and girls?

MMMmmmmm

Love Lorna xxx want to show your appreciation? 18wniNA6JfAVdZJi8if9k4JEHZgEu6kNRA
Lorna Morgan Facebook | Twitter
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 04:23:21 PM

Solidcoin won't fail. Coinhunter has done a really good job setting this game up Smiley. The same people talking crap now will be shooting themselves in the head in 6 months knowing they could have bought at these prices. I think all cryptography will have a place in the future, and anyone thinking there is only room for one is a fucking moron.

Pardon my french...
bansal

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 04:32:36 PM

Solidcoin won't fail. Coinhunter has done really good job setting this game up Smiley. The same people talking crap now will be shooting themselves in the head in 6 months knowing they could have bought at these prices. I think all cryptography will have a place in the future, and anyone thinking there is only room for one is a fucking moron.

Pardon my french...

I agree, the objection to SolidCoin and all the other forks seems to be more of a moral one rather than an intellectual one.  It's basically "Satoshi was a genius, what have you done?  Why should you make any money?"  I agree with most of what CoinHunter has done, except for the lower number of coins.  This whole Bitcoins/Solidcoins/whatever scarcity tactic is BS.  Once difficulty or prices get too high, somebody will create a fork.  I could create more solidcoins today by taking the existing code and creating a new genesis block.  They wouldn't technically be SolidCoins, but they would accomplish the same thing and work exactly the same way.  So I don't really see what limiting the supply of coins accomplishes, it actually makes it more likely to fail in the long run in my opinion.
sharky112065

Activity: 383

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 04:47:45 PM

Solidcoin won't fail. Coinhunter has done really good job setting this game up Smiley. The same people talking crap now will be shooting themselves in the head in 6 months knowing they could have bought at these prices. I think all cryptography will have a place in the future, and anyone thinking there is only room for one is a fucking moron.

Pardon my french...

I agree, the objection to SolidCoin and all the other forks seems to be more of a moral one rather than an intellectual one.  It's basically "Satoshi was a genius, what have you done?  Why should you make any money?"  I agree with most of what CoinHunter has done, except for the lower number of coins.  This whole Bitcoins/Solidcoins/whatever scarcity tactic is BS.  Once difficulty or prices get too high, somebody will create a fork.  I could create more solidcoins today by taking the existing code and creating a new genesis block.  They wouldn't technically be SolidCoins, but they would accomplish the same thing and work exactly the same way.  So I don't really see what limiting the supply of coins accomplishes, it actually makes it more likely to fail in the long run in my opinion.

I never understood why he set it at 32 instead of 50 myself. Some clarification would be appreciated.

Donations welcome: 12KaKtrK52iQjPdtsJq7fJ7smC32tXWbWr
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 05:06:19 PM

Pardon my french...

I agree, the objection to SolidCoin and all the other forks seems to be more of a moral one rather than an intellectual one.  It's basically "Satoshi was a genius, what have you done?  Why should you make any money?"  I agree with most of what CoinHunter has done, except for the lower number of coins.  This whole Bitcoins/Solidcoins/whatever scarcity tactic is BS.  Once difficulty or prices get too high, somebody will create a fork.  I could create more solidcoins today by taking the existing code and creating a new genesis block.  They wouldn't technically be SolidCoins, but they would accomplish the same thing and work exactly the same way.  So I don't really see what limiting the supply of coins accomplishes, it actually makes it more likely to fail in the long run in my opinion.

My argument was never that SolidCoin is better/worse than Bitcoin.  

My argument is that CoinHunter is a lying piece of shit.

If we take CoinHunter at his word, that means out of 10,000 SC users, about 5-10 users control over 50% of the market.

And then he counters this ridiculousness by saying that he's "only interested in a global currency that works" and "helping others in need."  SolidCoin might work, but it's 1.) Hardly original and 2.) created by a douchebag who deserves a kick to the larynx.

All I want is for CoinHunter to admit to everyone he made this thing to get rich and that's it.  I have no problem with that.  Satoshi did it too, and now CoinHunter did it.  But don't try to come off as some virtuous motherfucker when we know you're not one in this context.
Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 05:17:40 PM

If we take CoinHunter at his word, that means out of 10,000 SC users, about 5-10 users control over 50% of the market.

And then he counters this ridiculousness by saying that he's "only interested in a global currency that works" and "helping others in need."  SolidCoin might work, but it's 1.) Hardly original and 2.) created by a douchebag who deserves a kick to the larynx.

All I want is for CoinHunter to admit to everyone he made this thing to get rich and that's it.  I have no problem with that.  Satoshi did it too, and now CoinHunter did it.  But don't try to come off as some virtuous motherfucker when we know you're not one in this context.

Really?  That's your entire argument against SolidCoin?  I can't tell if you're serious or just joking.  Please clarify?

Mousepotato
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 05:24:23 PM

Really?  That's your entire argument against SolidCoin?  I can't tell if you're serious or just joking.  Please clarify?

Clarify what?  Do I need to clarify that an argument for CoinHunter being a lying piece of shit isn't an argument against SolidCoin?  It's an argument for CoinHunter being a lying piece of shit.
MaGNeT
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1002

Waves | 3PHMaGNeTJfqFfD4xuctgKdoxLX188QM8na

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2011, 05:27:41 PM

All I want is for CoinHunter to admit to everyone he made this thing to get rich and that's it.  I have no problem with that.  Satoshi did it too, and now CoinHunter did it.  But don't try to come off as some virtuous motherfucker when we know you're not one in this context.

Do you have SolidCoins? What is your drive to post here? Try to destroy it before it's too much competition for Bitcoin?

Did you even read the words you used before pressing "post"?
Do they have to be that offensive?

Bitcoin hardliners are getting rude nowadays...
Mousepotato

Activity: 896

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 05:31:56 PM

Clarify what?  Do I need to clarify that an argument for CoinHunter being a lying piece of shit isn't an argument against SolidCoin?  It's an argument for CoinHunter being a lying piece of shit.

I bet that sounded better in your head.

Mousepotato
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 05:33:46 PM
Last edit: August 30, 2011, 05:45:01 PM by the joint

All I want is for CoinHunter to admit to everyone he made this thing to get rich and that's it.  I have no problem with that.  Satoshi did it too, and now CoinHunter did it.  But don't try to come off as some virtuous motherfucker when we know you're not one in this context.

Do you have SolidCoins? What is your drive to post here? Try to destroy it before it's too much competition for Bitcoin?

Did you even read the words you used before pressing "post"?
Do they have to be that rude?

Bitcoin hardliners are getting rude nowadays...

Yes, actually I do have SolidCoins.  I'm not dumb.  It's a low-risk investment that has the potential to make a lot of profit in the event it catches on.  I want to make a quick buck.  Don't you?

They don't have to be that rude.  I chose them because they are rude; I'll sacrifice the bad karma and I apologize to those who took offense.  The comments were not directed at you.  Money has a funny effect on people, and it's a very powerful tool.  I don't respond kindly to others who lie about their virtuous financial intentions.

Please re-read my posts in this thread and really consider whether or not I'm a Bitcoin 'hardliner.'

Edit:  Original comment in this thread was a post stating that it's obvious the creator of SolidCoin wanted to make a quick buck.  That was my motive for posting.  I have also said this about Satoshi in multiple threads.  It's built into the design.

Edit 2:  An indirect reason for posting as such is because I truly dislike manipulation.  You may notice many of my recent posts in the marketplace section about scamming and potential scams.  Would you rather have the rude honest guy (yes, I'm often more rude in text format when angry)?  Or the nice guy who pats you on the back while slipping your wallet out of your pocket?
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 05:34:39 PM

I bet that sounded better in your head.

It's also correct.
Lupus_Yonderboy

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 05:42:06 PM

Encryption? Yes Bitcoin has it for months, but you know, that's a feature that is in alpha stage, ie not fully tested, ie we can't fully rely on it. And this is the same you find in your beloved solidcoin

He seems to have implemented it rather smooothly. I don't see anyone on here screaming about having lost their SC wallet because the encryption fucked up. I also note that in the time I was typing this CoinHunter seems about to implement multiple wallet support. Is that also in alpha stage on the Bitcoin client?

Retargeting algo idea? Already in i0coin, days before solidcoin was announced

I gotta call BS on this one. I0coin was a Ixcoin with 0 premined blocks, and a few cosmetic changes. Ixcoin blatantly ripped off the retargeting idea a few days ago. The point is moot anyway, since it truly doesn't matter who has the first usage of an idea in open source, only the best implementation of it Wink

I understand tho, someone has introduced a viable fork to Bitcoin, and made some interesting improvements. Perhaps this will light a fire under some Bitcoin devs to do more and perhaps make a some better and more timely changes. Or perhaps they feel the best way to secure bitcoin is to do their best to stamp out any competitors in their infancy. Quite frankly I am surprised that this child board is even allowed to exist on this forum.

And FWIW I have 5 bitcoins and few days worth of mining invested in SolidCoin, and 5 bitcoins and few days worth of mining in I0coin, and 5 bitcoins and few days worth of mining in Ixcoin as well, and several months worth of mining in Bitcoin. Ideally I would like them all to succeed, but I am well diversified if any of them fail. And if they all fail, then lots of people are screwed.

The altruism that many senior and hero members are showing by attempting to keep others from using a competing blockchain is truly touching. I honestly didn't think that there were that many people on this forum that cared so deeply about the economic welfare of their fellow human beings. Such paragons of virtue should be held up as examples for the rest of humanity to emulate. The perseverance that they have in continually trying to hammer the same points over and over again is truly awe-inspiring. That they do all of this without any chance of personal gain and out of the goodness of their hearts is truly humbling.
[/snark]
EskimoBob
Legendary

Activity: 910

Quality Printing Services by Federal Reserve Bank

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 07:21:06 PM

Lupus_Yonderboy,  05:42:06  +1

Relax people. There will be more (name_here)coins like Solidcoin and what not. This is just one of them and probably forgotten in years to come. Or maybe not?
Is it better than bitcoin? I wanted to find out and started to read the "Top 5 Reasons to own SolidCoins" (http://solidcoin.info/five-reasons-to-own-solidcoins.php)
Sorry to say, but 3.5 out of those 5 reasons are mostly polished kangaroo dung so I am not convinced at the moment.  Nothing personal, CoinHunter.

Lets attempt to be honest for a moment. Only reason, most of you even give flying f* about any of the *coins, is to make a quick buck, brag about it and move on to next one. Sadly, it's all about greed, small people with bloated egos and who the f* knows what else. Here is no honest attempts to "show the evil banks their place", "low fees", "instant transactions", "business and user demands" blaa blaa blaa.

At the same time, BTC project has produced some amazing code - look at the miners for example. Kudos!

So, lets see what we have here: "Top 5 Reasons to own SolidCoins"

Reason 1 - Speed

SolidCoin transactions happen faster and more reliably than Bitcoin. If you've ever used Bitcoin you know sometimes it can take many hours before you can do something with them. It is 2011, businesses and users expect things to happen much faster than this. They don't want to tell their customers "it could be one to 12 hours before that goes through".

#1 Yes, you are correct. Fast transaction confirmation is extremely important and BTC "speed" is absolutely embarrassing. No shop can have its clients hanging around at the counter, waiting N minutes just to confirm the transactions.

Reason 2 - Security

Most people are unaware that Bitcoin is vulnerable to a drop off in mining power, the recent failure of Ixcoins proved this perfectly. People holding IXCoins could barely transfer them or do anything with them. Bitcoin is vulnerable to the exact same thing, if too many miners drop off (for instance to mine SolidCoins) the entire network could collapse leaving people with no way to get their Bitcoins out or do anything with them.

SolidCoin's new and intelligent algorithm ensures that even if miners drop off, the network continues to function smoothly. This is something businesses and users demand, utmost reliability they can move their coins around. Tomorrow you could wake up and not be able to do anything with your Bitcoins, leaving you at high risk of losing most of your investment.

#2 reeks like a pile of FUD. Part of it can also be correct but must be confirmed by serious programmers and not CoinHunters fan boy sock puppets. "SolidCoin's new and intelligent algorithm ensures that even if miners drop off, the network continues to function smoothly.", Can someone please take a look at this (add glitter and "Woah!" sound here) amazing code and report back. BTW, if you fine useless code snippets and DVD erasing, wallet staling worms, please let us know too. Wink 

Reason 3 - We make it easy

Unlike most of the Bitcoin developers we have developed commercial sites which have used Bitcoin as a currency for our users. There are massive gaps in the developer environment that make failures like MyBitcoin likely to occur again. The reputation of an online currency is utmost, if every second day there is a new successful hack attempt against sites which use Bitcoins how is it going to gain general use?

Why should you need to be a 20 year programming veteran to use Bitcoin properly and securely? SolidCoin has already improved the API to be more like that of a proper banking system, and with the coming updates will make it even easier for the average business owner to adopt SolidCoins.

#3 Reads like bullshit on a newspaper, mixed with another mediocre attempt to spread FUD - "...we have developed commercial sites..."? Wow, really?  We can all sleep now.

Reason 4 - Fairer

Over the first 48 hours of SolidCoin's existence over 2000 people became owners of the currency. A week later it was 10000. Unlike Bitcoin's startup which ensured nearly all the currency ended up with only a handful of people. These people have since vanished and cashed out, to leave the project to stagnate with little support from early adopters.

SolidCoin on the other hand have early adopters that want an internet currency to succeed, and it has thousands of them, many of which have donated to the cause. We have learnt from the mistakes of Bitcoin and made a better and more equal system for the world, combined with a faster and more intelligent network.

#4 I must say, I actually like this one. Same time, I am reading previous comments in this forum and I am getting a feeling, that this is just another half truth from kiwi land.

Reason 5 - A plan for the future

Bitcoin's developers appear to have no clear direction to take Bitcoin. It has stagnated for some time and is being pulled in many conflicting directions. Recently one of the main developers stated the possibility of Bank of America running the Bitcoin network. One of the worst banks in the Financial Crisis to take the reigns of a decentralized internet currency? Does that sound like something you want to support?

We know that people want an easy to use internet currency that is decentralized from the existing banking system. We know people want to pay low fees. We know people want near instant transactions. We know how to scale the network securely when SolidCoin becomes bigger than the Visa/Mastercard networks. If you agree with all of this you know the future for SolidCoin is bright, we're not afraid to put our intentions in the light where you can see them.

#5 Starts out almost in right direction but then falls flat on its fat face. Never ever sell your shit by marginalizing someone else's product! Nothing new is sated in this particular "reason". Sad

Who knows, maybe this coin is here to stay, maybe not.
Lets hope for the best.

While reading what I wrote, use the most friendliest and relaxing voice in your head.
BTW, Things in BTC bubble universes are getting ugly....
joulesbeef

Activity: 476

moOo

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 08:28:34 PM

you have to admit solidcoin looks better and has done more development than the other two.. which is one reason why the other two adopted solids difficulty.

the guy in charge is also very very very very active, unlike the other 2.

and their is no bickering, solid seems to have no problem coexisting with ixcoin or i0coin and even hosts an ixcoin order table for bitparking.  WHich is pretty damn stand up if you ask me

say what you want that the guy wants to become rich.. who doesnt(though it sounds like he already has money) but you have to admit the guy is putting a ton of effort making it actually work.

and ALL these coins are good for BTC in my opinion, we have learned a lot from them

mooo for rent
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 08:29:54 PM

Encryption? Yes Bitcoin has it for months, but you know, that's a feature that is in alpha stage, ie not fully tested, ie we can't fully rely on it. And this is the same you find in your beloved solidcoin

He seems to have implemented it rather smooothly. I don't see anyone on here screaming about having lost their SC wallet because the encryption fucked up. I also note that in the time I was typing this CoinHunter seems about to implement multiple wallet support. Is that also in alpha stage on the Bitcoin client?
So because there's no problem during 9 days, we are safe? Intedezting....

https://github.com/sipa/bitcoin/commits/showwallet
Sure coinhunter has some advance. When you have a smaller user base it's easier to implement shiny things instead of critical ones
Do you really think bitcoin devs do nothing? https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/commits/master

Retargeting algo idea? Already in i0coin, days before solidcoin was announced

I gotta call BS on this one. I0coin was a Ixcoin with 0 premined blocks, and a few cosmetic changes. Ixcoin blatantly ripped off the retargeting idea a few days ago. The point is moot anyway, since it truly doesn't matter who has the first usage of an idea in open source, only the best implementation of it Wink

I understand tho, someone has introduced a viable fork to Bitcoin, and made some interesting improvements. Perhaps this will light a fire under some Bitcoin devs to do more and perhaps make a some better and more timely changes. Or perhaps they feel the best way to secure bitcoin is to do their best to stamp out any competitors in their infancy. Quite frankly I am surprised that this child board is even allowed to exist on this forum.

And FWIW I have 5 bitcoins and few days worth of mining invested in SolidCoin, and 5 bitcoins and few days worth of mining in I0coin, and 5 bitcoins and few days worth of mining in Ixcoin as well, and several months worth of mining in Bitcoin. Ideally I would like them all to succeed, but I am well diversified if any of them fail. And if they all fail, then lots of people are screwed.

The altruism that many senior and hero members are showing by attempting to keep others from using a competing blockchain is truly touching. I honestly didn't think that there were that many people on this forum that cared so deeply about the economic welfare of their fellow human beings. Such paragons of virtue should be held up as examples for the rest of humanity to emulate. The perseverance that they have in continually trying to hammer the same points over and over again is truly awe-inspiring. That they do all of this without any chance of personal gain and out of the goodness of their hearts is truly humbling.
[/snark]
You call BS? Good for you: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=36425.msg454938#msg454938
solidcoin was released on august 14th? I didn't know
When you obviously don't know, please, keep quiet

Sure solidcoin has the best implementation, I didn't say it's not the case I was just answering to that, nothing more:
Also, the retargeting algo is a good idea

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
joulesbeef

Activity: 476

moOo

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 08:39:56 PM

Do you really think bitcoin devs do nothing? https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/commits/master
it does feel like it at times. But yeah I understand the bigger base issues
and btc should adopt the new diff algo

mooo for rent
ArtForz

Activity: 406
Merit: 257

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 08:59:15 PM

Just a small hint, the new diff algo makes a 51% attack *really* profitable, I'll leave it to you to figure out why.

bitcoin: 1Fb77Xq5ePFER8GtKRn2KDbDTVpJKfKmpz
i0coin: jNdvyvd6v6gV3kVJLD7HsB5ZwHyHwAkfdw
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 »
  Print  

Jump to: