Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 05:28:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANNOUNCE] SolidCoin - new and improved block chain. Secure from pools  (Read 85450 times)
ArtForz

Activity: 406
Merit: 257

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 09:05:05 PM

Yeah, unit tests, test suites, ... who needs that shit for a network handling $M of transactions daily? Just focus on adding features to the GUI! *facepalm*

bitcoin: 1Fb77Xq5ePFER8GtKRn2KDbDTVpJKfKmpz
i0coin: jNdvyvd6v6gV3kVJLD7HsB5ZwHyHwAkfdw

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 09:06:12 PM

Yeah, unit tests, test suites, ... who needs that shit for a network handling $M of transactions daily? Just focus on adding features to the GUI! *facepalm*

lol

Mousepotato
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 10:44:34 PM

lol

+1 Yeah looks matter much more than content.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

CoinHunter (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 11:37:44 PM

If you had ever looked at the ugly state the Bitcoin code is in (and the inherent issues in it) you wouldn't be thinking it's fit enough to run millions of dollars worth of transactions a day. It's like someone turned in a highschool assignment and everyone else went "well that works" and off they went. I mean, which "designer" decided to start dumping GUI and other settings in wallet.dat ? Do they know there is a .conf file for this? Where is at least some attempt at backing up wallet.dat's which are worth tens of thousands? Is it really the mantra that if the power goes off and your wallet.dat was being written to that it's your fault for not running some sort of sophisticated backup system for it? Is it that hard to always have a backup file there (a single copy command) ? These type of things are standard for bulletproof applications that customers have to use, anyone with experience in the industry would see it in a second. This is only the tip of the iceberg.

I have to laugh at the trolls who can't program and don't understand how awful the situation is for BTC at the moment. Satoshi had some great ideas, but he wasn't a good programmer, and since he left barely anything has been done with the code. The client has stagnated, badly and nearly no one wants to touch it. So keep the false worship up and let's see how deep people like you can keep digging the Bitcoin hole.

Try SolidCoin or talk with other SolidCoin supporters here SolidCoin Forums
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 11:41:47 PM

If you had ever looked at the ugly state the Bitcoin code is in (and the inherent issues in it) you wouldn't be thinking it's fit enough to run millions of dollars worth of transactions a day. It's like someone turned in a highschool assignment and everyone else went "well that works" and off they went. I mean, which "designer" decided to start dumping GUI and other settings in wallet.dat ? Do they know there is a .conf file for this? Where is at least some attempt at backing up wallet.dat's which are worth tens of thousands? Is it really the mantra that if the power goes off and your wallet.dat was being written to that it's your fault for not running some sort of sophisticated backup system for it? Is it that hard to always have a backup file there (a single copy command) ? These type of things are standard for bulletproof applications that customers have to use, anyone with experience in the industry would see it in a second. This is only the tip of the iceberg.

I have to laugh at the trolls who can't program and don't understand how awful the situation is for BTC at the moment. Satoshi had some great ideas, but he wasn't a good programmer, and since he left barely anything has been done with the code. The client has stagnated, badly and nearly no one wants to touch it. So keep the false worship up and let's see how deep people like you can keep digging the Bitcoin hole.
Wow Shocked
Scary

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 12:14:59 AM

CoinHunter, with all due respect, I think this post is perhaps a little overstated. Bitcoin has itself been very vulernable to security (see: trojans, theft, etc.), but the changes made in solidcoin I feel have not remedied this. The GUI settings are still in wallet.dat in solidcoin, aren't they? And solidcoin also does not yet have accessible wallet backup.

Calling the bitcoin devs "trolls" is not appropriate. I suggest you renege on this post, and return to the attitude you had when you first released solidcoin: saying things like "Solidcoin will by next to Bitcoin as silver is to gold" instead of "Bitcoin is programmed by 12-year-old idiots and I am laughing at them".
ArtForz

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 12:19:32 AM

Quote from: CoinHunter
If you had ever looked at the ugly state the Bitcoin code is in (and the inherent issues in it) you wouldn't be thinking it's fit enough to run millions of dollars worth of transactions a day.
Where did I say that?
It's like someone turned in a highschool assignment and everyone else went "well that works" and off they went.
Which pretty much describes the "development" style of Satoshi and other early devs.
I mean, which "designer" decided to start dumping GUI and other settings in wallet.dat ?
I'd have to check the commit logs, but I noticed that long ago and just shrugged, as compared to other *cough* "tiny issues" that's a pretty trivial one.
Do they know there is a .conf file for this?
No, I'm pretty sure the core devs never noticed there was one. Or was that a rhetoric question?
Where is at least some attempt at backing up wallet.dat's which are worth tens of thousands?
./bitcoind backupwallet filename_to_save_backup_as.
Is it really the mantra that if the power goes off and your wallet.dat was being written to that it's your fault for not running some sort of sophisticated backup system for it?
If your system corrupts a transactional BDB database on power loss, it is broken. And no amount of trickery gets you 100% around OSes/ddisks lying about flushing buffers.
Is it that hard to always have a backup file there (a single copy command) ?
Actually, yes. Backing up a live journalled DB properly is not trivial (the current backupwallet cheats by waiting for all accesses to stop, then flushing the logs and backing up the main datastore).
These type of things are standard for bulletproof applications that customers have to use, anyone with experience in the industry would see it in a second.
Wow, really? *rollseyes*
This is only the tip of the iceberg.
Yep, as you addressed only current user-visible issues but ZERO of the major issues in the core.
I have to laugh at the trolls who can't program and don't understand how awful the situation is for BTC at the moment.
Agreed.
Satoshi had some great ideas, but he wasn't a good programmer, and since he left barely anything has been done with the code.
Agreed on the part about satoshi, but there's been pretty constant improvement
The client has stagnated, badly and nearly no one wants to touch it.
Yep.
So keep the false worship up and let's see how deep people like you can keep digging the Bitcoin hole.
What false worship? Stop making shit up. I'm saying the current devs are doing pretty well at trying to sort out the mess and get a maintainable codebase instead of adding cosmetic changes and calling them "great improvements".

BTW, have you figured out the tiny problem that SCs (and i0s, and soon IXs) difficulty adjustment algo creates when faced with a attacker with majority hashpower yet?

CoinHunter (OP)

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 12:36:43 AM

BTW, have you figured out the tiny problem that SCs (and i0s, and soon IXs) difficulty adjustment algo creates when faced with a attacker with majority hashpower yet?

Sure, but the goal is never to be in the situation where someone has 51% power, worrying about "attacks" that happen in that scenario when you can fork the chain is kinda irrelevant no? Better than doing a namecoin/i0/ixcoin and dying, thus leaving an "80 million dollar economy" in shambles. Obviously with deepbit on BTC and SCGuild with SC it is a concern, however the SCGuild owner seems honest.

I'm trying to solve some of these bigger issues, so we will see what I can produce.

coblee
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1653
Merit: 1286

Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 12:40:13 AM

@CoinHunter

What these Bitcoin Kool Aid drinkers will not admit is that, as soon as MTGox, TH or another exchange start changing SC to USD, it's game over for Bitcoin in it's present state.

Bitcoin only dominates in the fact it can be changed into USD. The end is coming and I am laughing my ass off that the few that hold the majority of BTC will screwed.

Just because you can exchange USD for SC, bitcoins will die? What kind of SC koolaid have you been drinking? lol

Well, in a few days Ruxum will start a USD/SC exchange. Let's see what you mean by "game over for Bitcoin", ok?

Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 12:41:33 AM

Sure, but the goal is never to be in the situation where someone has 51% power, worrying about "attacks" that happen in that scenario when you can fork the chain is kinda irrelevant no? Better than doing a namecoin/i0/ixcoin and dying, thus leaving an "80 million dollar economy" in shambles. Obviously with deepbit on BTC and SCGuild with SC it is a concern, however the SCGuild owner seems honest.

I'm trying to solve some of these bigger issues, so we will see what I can produce.
Too late. SCGuild already has way more than 51% power. All they would have to do is turn off hashing for one day, difficulty will plummet, then we can get back to getting several blocks a minute.

SCGuild, what do you say? Will you turn off the pool for a day?

Buy & Hold
CoinHunter (OP)

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 12:44:22 AM

CoinHunter, with all due respect, I think this post is perhaps a little overstated. Bitcoin has itself been very vulernable to security (see: trojans, theft, etc.), but the changes made in solidcoin I feel have not remedied this. The GUI settings are still in wallet.dat in solidcoin, aren't they? And solidcoin also does not yet have accessible wallet backup.

That is correct. Firstly I didn't expect quite the amount of success SolidCoin has had to this point, I thought I would have more time to fix such things. However it was also important to start testing my network protocol changes in a "Live environment". As can be seen with the data available, SolidCoin is the fastest and most reliable cryptocurrency network out there.

I am working on fixing this issue with the wallet.dat storing unneeded junk, and also automatically backing up wallets, along with multiwallet support for businesses and users.

Calling the bitcoin devs "trolls" is not appropriate. I suggest you renege on this post, and return to the attitude you had when you first released solidcoin: saying things like "Solidcoin will by next to Bitcoin as silver is to gold" instead of "Bitcoin is programmed by 12-year-old idiots and I am laughing at them".

Well I am laughing at the code more than "them", as a serious programmer that is the joy I get in life. Wink But if people want to actually DEFEND the code, especially when they are ignorant, then of course I will show them examples of the poorly written and designed code they seem to be supporting. At least I am trying to do something about it, whereas people like artforz just "agree" with me, do nothing to the code because they'd rather spend their time fleecing BTC from people supporting new coin chains.

CoinHunter (OP)

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 12:46:49 AM

Too late. SCGuild already has way more than 51% power. All they would have to do is turn off hashing for one day, difficulty will plummet, then we can get back to getting several blocks a minute.

It's not actually too big a problem if they do that, faster blocks is fine. SolidCoin is only a week and a half old, once it starts gaining more traction due to my development changes there will be more stability in the mining power. What we do know is that in under a week we have gone from 1.2 THash, or 11% of the BTC network to 300GHash and SolidCoin is still flying. BTC would be dead, as we saw with NMC, Ixcoin and I0coin.

So yes SC may not be "perfect" in every way but those trying to suggest it's not better than BTC are living in lala land.

ArtForz

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 12:47:36 AM

They don't even have to turn off mining
1. Pull a mining cartel attack and fork the chain when another miner finds a block.
2. Start fucking with block timestamps.
3. Huh.
4. Near-infinite number of blocks!

CoinHunter (OP)

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 12:53:33 AM

They don't even have to turn off mining
1. Pull a mining cartel attack and fork the chain when another miner finds a block.
2. Start fucking with block timestamps.
3. Huh.
4. Near-infinite number of blocks!

Similar things are possible with BTC so not sure of the relevance to only SC? Things need to be done to ensure network balance, both SC and BTC are powerless in that regard. Howeer like I said SCGuild is concerned with such things and I'm sure he would realize he would face consequences if he attacked peoples investments. Other pools, who knows, there has been open talk from people like LukeJR (elegius owner) to run malicious attacks on IXCoin. So obviously this kind of behaviour isn't unheard of when it comes to pools.

doublec
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 12:55:43 AM

and their is no bickering, solid seems to have no problem coexisting with ixcoin or i0coin and even hosts an ixcoin order table for bitparking.  WHich is pretty damn stand up if you ask me
CoinHunter, the SolidCoin creator, does not host an ixcoin order table for bitparking. The ixcoin order table is run by the solidcoins.info owner by using the bitparking API, as announced in this thread.
ArtForz

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 12:56:42 AM

Similar things are possible with BTC so not sure of the relevance to only SC? Things need to be done to ensure network balance, both SC and BTC are powerless in that regard. Howeer like I said SCGuild is concerned with such things and I'm sure he would realize he would face consequences if he attacked peoples investments. Other pools, who knows, there has been open talk from people like LukeJR (elegius owner) to run malicious attacks on IXCoin. So obviously this kind of behaviour isn't unheard of when it comes to pools.
No, they're not. Do the math.

dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 01:00:10 AM

That is correct. Firstly I didn't expect quite the amount of success SolidCoin has had to this point, I thought I would have more time to fix such things. However it was also important to start testing my network protocol changes in a "Live environment". As can be seen with the data available, SolidCoin is the fastest and most reliable cryptocurrency network out there.

I am working on fixing this issue with the wallet.dat storing unneeded junk, and also automatically backing up wallets, along with multiwallet support for businesses and users.

Well I am laughing at the code more than "them", as a serious programmer that is the joy I get in life. Wink But if people want to actually DEFEND the code, especially when they are ignorant, then of course I will show them examples of the poorly written and designed code they seem to be supporting. At least I am trying to do something about it, whereas people like artforz just "agree" with me, do nothing to the code because they'd rather spend their time fleecing BTC from people supporting new coin chains.
Okay then, sorry for any misunderstanding. I do believe that solidcoin is an improvement over bitcoin most definitely, but that is the same thing with namecoin, yet people have not "fleeced" there from bitcoin.
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 01:04:02 AM

It's not actually too big a problem if they do that, faster blocks is fine. SolidCoin is only a week and a half old, once it starts gaining more traction due to my development changes there will be more stability in the mining power. What we do know is that in under a week we have gone from 1.2 THash, or 11% of the BTC network to 300GHash and SolidCoin is still flying. BTC would be dead, as we saw with NMC, Ixcoin and I0coin.

So yes SC may not be "perfect" in every way but those trying to suggest it's not better than BTC are living in lala land.

Dude.  You're incredibly dense.  Right now, it doesn't matter how good SC theory is.  Bitcoin is still better in virtually every way because you can BUY STUFF WITH IT.

Ever think of something else?  Bitcoin has had 2 years, and so far, it still has a very small economy.  The very few who were willing to risk setting up businesses and such have put time and money on the line based upon the expectation that Bitcoin would/will be a success.  Guess what happens if Bitcoin collapses?  Do you really think they'll be like, "Oh!  Wait a minute!  I mean, I know I lost huge on the whole Bitcoin thing, but this SolidCoin thing is great!  I mean, it's been around for like...weeks!  This seems like a really really good idea!  I'm gonna do a new business!"

In 2 years, Bitcoin has garnished the attention of the people that would really care about digital currency-related businesses.  If they give up because Bitcoin fails (and they will give up on digital currencies if they lose big), good luck trying to find a new breed of digital currency entrepreneurs to take on SolidCoin let alone one of the dozens of other cryptocurrencies that will likely spring up between now and then.  I think if you really want SolidCoin to succeed, you should really act more kindly with your potential future investors.

For such a smart guy like yourself, you seem to do a poor job at parching the situation.  And really...work on your communication.  A little antagonizing and we've seen bits of your true nature emerge.  Don't blame you though.  It's a natural response given the situation.
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 01:22:08 AM

What we do know is that in under a week we have gone from 1.2 THash, or 11% of the BTC network to 300GHash and SolidCoin is still flying.
You don't understand that loosing over 80% of your miners in a matter of days as indicative of a larger problem? The SC network is already down to 200G. A little more and a single miner like ArtForz could wipe out your chain. Hell, in a couple days I might be able to. I better dump my SC asap.
* Syke goes off to start compiling a custom SC node...

Buy & Hold
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
August 31, 2011, 01:28:41 AM

Dude.  You're incredibly dense.  Right now, it doesn't matter how good SC theory is.  Bitcoin is still better in virtually every way because you can BUY STUFF WITH IT.

Ever think of something else?  Bitcoin has had 2 years, and so far, it still has a very small economy.  The very few who were willing to risk setting up businesses and such have put time and money on the line based upon the expectation that Bitcoin would/will be a success.  Guess what happens if Bitcoin collapses?  Do you really think they'll be like, "Oh!  Wait a minute!  I mean, I know I lost huge on the whole Bitcoin thing, but this SolidCoin thing is great!  I mean, it's been around for like...weeks!  This seems like a really really good idea!  I'm gonna do a new business!"

In 2 years, Bitcoin has garnished the attention of the people that would really care about digital currency-related businesses.  If they give up because Bitcoin fails (and they will give up on digital currencies if they lose big), good luck trying to find a new breed of digital currency entrepreneurs to take on SolidCoin let alone one of the dozens of other cryptocurrencies that will likely spring up between now and then.  I think if you really want SolidCoin to succeed, you should really act more kindly with your potential future investors.

For such a smart guy like yourself, you seem to do a poor job at parching the situation.  And really...work on your communication.  A little antagonizing and we've seen bits of your true nature emerge.  Don't blame you though.  It's a natural response given the situation.

What you are missing is it won't really make much of a difference in the long run, many merchant payment services will likely adjust to take other currencies and likely provide the capabilities to auto exchange between them for payout to the merchant with little to no effort on their part, you see with cryptocurrency this is a real possibility and even easier than with fiat currency.  These currencies can coexist easily and this kind of behavior is not unheard of in human history i.e. gold, silver and copper as well as stocks, bonds, mutual funds, forex, and commodities for investment purposes.  There is plenty of room for fiat currency displacement in the world that several types of cryptocurrencies can and will survive so long as they bring improvements and innovation, not sure why solidcoin is getting such animosity, it has brought and will continue to bring improvements that may also benefit bitcoin, and if nothing else we will get more empirical data about how these fledgling systems operate and how to make them even better.

What you are missing is that there needs to be a short run before a long run.  And even if you take the current BTC economy and add all these other little currencies as mediums of exchange, all that does is inhibit the growth of any single one and cryptocurrencies will remain underground forever.  This will limit overall economic growth and the true and potential advantages of using crypotcurrencies will never be fully realized.

And, you will get empirical data that you can't generalize to the population at large.  It will be applicable to the nerd crew only.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 »
  Print  

Jump to: