Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:06:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 [263] 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 ... 661 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XCP] Counterparty - Pioneering Peer-to-Peer Finance - Official Thread  (Read 1276292 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
qwertyqwerty

Activity: 202
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 02:10:26 PM

*However*, there are still trust requirements for any Counterwallet site, as a malicious owner could, for instance, modify the javascript code to divert sent funds to himself, and disable the checks in the client itself against this. There are potential solutions for this though, such as a 3rd party site that will drill down through the served assets and verify their checksums against a known-good source (however, it would need to randomize IP access and access patterns so that the attacker could not detect this and supply it with a different version of the sources).

As far as this goes, is it not possible to run CounterWallet assets locally as Chrome app?

Fantastic response by the way, have been consistently blown away by the counterparty core development team since the projects inception.
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
user1922

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 02:18:13 PM

Go back through the installation

I did. At least 3 times already...
user1922

Activity: 31

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 03:42:58 PM

Trying to get Counterpary running on Desktop Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (64-bit) but seem unable to do so. Building updating, bitcoin reindexing all went fine, tutorials are all quite clear. I am now running counterparty v6.6 and bitcoind v0.8.6.0-g03a7d67-beta

But I get an error message when I try to run the counterparty server:
# counterpartyd server
Unhandled exception in thread started by
libgcc_s.so.1 must be installed for pthread_cancel to work
Aborted (core dumped)

I have installed the IA32-libs and there are 2 editions for libgcc_s.so.1:
$ find /lib -name 'libgcc*'
/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1

But I still keep getting this error.
Any tips?

No one to offer any hints on how to solve this?
crypto era

Activity: 44

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 03:57:02 PM

Trying to get Counterpary running on Desktop Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (64-bit) but seem unable to do so. Building updating, bitcoin reindexing all went fine, tutorials are all quite clear. I am now running counterparty v6.6 and bitcoind v0.8.6.0-g03a7d67-beta

# counterpartyd server
Aborted (core dumped)

Any tips?

That's strange. It shows that it is there. I hate to see someone struggle to get counterpartyd running but i'm a windows person and have no idea on anything with linux. Just letting you know that people acknowledge you and are probably figuring it out.
romerun
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1001

Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 05:18:39 PM

# counterpartyd server
Aborted (core dumped)

Any tips?

sounds like your env is dirty as hell, why don't setup docker.io, fire up a clean container and start from scratch
xnova

Activity: 390
Merit: 254

Counterparty Developer

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 05:27:02 PM

*However*, there are still trust requirements for any Counterwallet site, as a malicious owner could, for instance, modify the javascript code to divert sent funds to himself, and disable the checks in the client itself against this. There are potential solutions for this though, such as a 3rd party site that will drill down through the served assets and verify their checksums against a known-good source (however, it would need to randomize IP access and access patterns so that the attacker could not detect this and supply it with a different version of the sources).

As far as this goes, is it not possible to run CounterWallet assets locally as Chrome app?

Fantastic response by the way, have been consistently blown away by the counterparty core development team since the projects inception.

Yes, that's a great idea actually. Carbonwallet (which Counterwallet was originally based off of) has Chrome app packaging capabilities I believe. It would be great if someone could add this ability for Counterwallet in the near term.

Currently, the server list is statically set in the counterwallet.js file. However, this list just affects where counterwallet will look to make backend API calls. As others start hosting their own instances, we can explore ways to make this more flexible, beyond them manually modifying it in the source themselves (which, BTW, will break any checksum for that file).

Visit the official Counterparty forums: http://counterpartytalk.org
xnova

Activity: 390
Merit: 254

Counterparty Developer

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 05:34:11 PM

# counterpartyd server
Aborted (core dumped)

Any tips?

I have the hunch that the box has a non-standard version of Python on it. If you are on Ubuntu 64-bit, you shouldn't need ia32-libs I believe for anything with Counterparty... actually, from googling that error, it appears that you're probably trying to run counterparty with the 32-bit Python or something similar.... the virtualenv install script probably found a 32-bit Python and used that instead of the 64-bit version, I'm guessing.

To confirm, you could try commands like:
Code:
which python3
ldd `which python3`
python3 -c "import platform;print(platform.architecture())"

The last line should return "('64bit', 'ELF')". (Or, just start up the Python interpreter and see if it mentions 32-bit or 64-bit)... and actually I'd perform the same checks on the python binary over at counterpartyd_build/env/bin/python3 on your box (where ever you installed counterpartyd_build).

The options would be to either remove all that 32-bit compatibility stuff, or work on a fresh Ubuntu install (13.10 x64 is optimal here).

Visit the official Counterparty forums: http://counterpartytalk.org
JakeThePanda

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 07:01:38 PM
Last edit: March 14, 2014, 07:19:14 PM by JakeThePanda

I have a couple of questions.  I recently purchased some XCP on an exchange.  I have not yet set up an XCP wallet/client, and I will probably just wait until a Mac wallet is released, because I don't want to download yet another full BTC blockchain in a VM on my MacBook.  But I would like to get my XCP off the exchange for security purposes.

So, can I withdraw my coins from the exchange?  Can I just give it one of my BTC addresses, and the XCP will be sent to that address?  (I believe the answer will be yes.)  I understand that I will not be able to send/spend them until I set up an XCP wallet, and that's fine... this is more of a "buy and hold" investment.

Assuming that the answer to the first question is "Yes", is my BTC address now restricted in any way?  I understand that XCP uses BTC as a "transport layer".  Does this mean that my BTC address will receive some amount of BTC, with the XCP encoded on it somehow?  If so, I would have to be careful not to send out those "XCP marked" BTC.  Or is the whole thing handled differently, and I'm free to spend my BTC address down to 0 BTC if I want to, but my XCP will still be tracked separately?

I think I know the answers here, but just wanted to be sure before withdrawing my XCP to a BTC address that I use frequently.

The answer is "yes".

You can send it to any Bitcoin address for which you control the private keys. There will be no issues intermingling BTC and XCP in an address. You can verify the amount of XCP in the address at www.blockscan.com.
I would recommend you create a paper wallet and send those funds in there.

I still have XCP in my Electrum wallet, but I sent all my coins out and now have a 0 balance in my wallet.  Does this mean I just flushed all my XCP down the toilet?
kdrop22

Activity: 238

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 08:04:15 PM

I have a couple of questions.  I recently purchased some XCP on an exchange.  I have not yet set up an XCP wallet/client, and I will probably just wait until a Mac wallet is released, because I don't want to download yet another full BTC blockchain in a VM on my MacBook.  But I would like to get my XCP off the exchange for security purposes.

So, can I withdraw my coins from the exchange?  Can I just give it one of my BTC addresses, and the XCP will be sent to that address?  (I believe the answer will be yes.)  I understand that I will not be able to send/spend them until I set up an XCP wallet, and that's fine... this is more of a "buy and hold" investment.

Assuming that the answer to the first question is "Yes", is my BTC address now restricted in any way?  I understand that XCP uses BTC as a "transport layer".  Does this mean that my BTC address will receive some amount of BTC, with the XCP encoded on it somehow?  If so, I would have to be careful not to send out those "XCP marked" BTC.  Or is the whole thing handled differently, and I'm free to spend my BTC address down to 0 BTC if I want to, but my XCP will still be tracked separately?

I think I know the answers here, but just wanted to be sure before withdrawing my XCP to a BTC address that I use frequently.

The answer is "yes".

You can send it to any Bitcoin address for which you control the private keys. There will be no issues intermingling BTC and XCP in an address. You can verify the amount of XCP in the address at www.blockscan.com.

I still have XCP in my Electrum wallet, but I sent all my coins out and now have a 0 balance in my wallet.  Does this mean I just flushed all my XCP down the toilet?

You still have XCP in that wallet, you need to figure out
a) Which public address did you use for receiving the XCP
b) Check your balance using www.blockscan.com
(If you cannot find it go through the list of ALL the addresses in your electrum client, you can get this list from the GUI or from step c))
c) Export all private keys from electrum
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Electrum
(see Export and import addresses)
(before doing this make sure your computer is safe from viruses/spyware/keyloggers etc...)
d) Figure out the private key that corresponds to your XCP address

You should be able to take this key and import it into Bitcoin-QT and counterparty client to access your coins (or wait for the webwallet).
(or just keep the private key safe in a piece of paper).
JakeThePanda

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 08:05:47 PM

The answer is "yes".

You still have XCP in that wallet, you need to figure out
a) Which public address did you use for receiving the XCP
b) Check your balance using www.blockscan.com
c) Export all private keys from electrum
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Electrum
(see Export and import addresses)
(before doing this make sure your computer is safe from viruses/spyware/keyloggers etc...)
d) Figure out the private key that corresponds to your XCP address

You should be able to take this key and import it into Bitcoin-QT and counterparty client to access your coins (or wait for the webwallet).
(or just keep the private key safe in a piece of paper).

Thanks.
kirivas_s

Activity: 42

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 08:28:00 PM

Just a trivial question. Lets talk Bitcoin is launching LTBcoin on counterparty protocol. Should the LTBcoin users have some XCPs in their counterwallet to use LTBcoins?
kdrop22

Activity: 238

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 08:40:36 PM

Just a trivial question. Lets talk Bitcoin is launching LTBcoin on counterparty protocol. Should the LTBcoin users have some XCPs in their counterwallet to use LTBcoins?
Not necessarily. However, they may need a very small amount of BTC in that address for transaction fees. (0.0004).
BitcoinTangibleTrust

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

Digitizing Valuable Hard Assets with Crypto

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2014, 09:35:23 PM

BitcoinTangibleTrust
Will you be selling Silver on your site as well. The reason I ask is because the spot price of one ounce gold coins is > 1400$.  
Beta testers/Early adopters of the service are not going to be spending large amounts. You need to get a few users on board for a smaller amount(possibly using smaller coins or sliver), then have them provide reviews and build trust in the community. Once trust is established larger orders will start to come in.  

A great question. We did not think about moving to Silver until you recommended it with your explanation above.

We are going to explore offering Silver as a low-risk entry for individuals to start. We like your approach and agree that with Gold's price heading past $1,400, the turmoil in Ukraine will add to folks seeking refuge in gold. Higher gold prices will make it harder for individuals to test our platform cheaply and with less risk.

I will return next week Monday with confirmation that we have Proof of Custody available in Silver that we can take Silver orders as a way for the community to explore in a low-cost low risk manner. Once we have Proof of Custody confirmed, we will create a process to take small silver orders for the community to test.

Digital Tangible
Digitizing Valuable Hard Assets with Crypto http://www.digitaltangibletrust.com
bitwhizz
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 09:43:13 PM

BitcoinTangibleTrust
Will you be selling Silver on your site as well. The reason I ask is because the spot price of one ounce gold coins is > 1400$.  
Beta testers/Early adopters of the service are not going to be spending large amounts. You need to get a few users on board for a smaller amount(possibly using smaller coins or sliver), then have them provide reviews and build trust in the community. Once trust is established larger orders will start to come in.  

A great question. We did not think about moving to Silver until you recommended it with your explanation above.

We are going to explore offering Silver as a low-risk entry for individuals to start. We like your approach and agree that with Gold's price heading past $1,400, the turmoil in Ukraine will add to folks seeking refuge in gold. Higher gold prices will make it harder for individuals to test our platform cheaply and with less risk.

I will return next week Monday with confirmation that we have Proof of Custody available in Silver that we can take Silver orders as a way for the community to explore in a low-cost low risk manner. Once we have Proof of Custody confirmed, we will create a process to take small silver orders for the community to test.

Really great idea, best of luck with it
halfcab123

Activity: 224

CabTrader v2 | crypto-folio.com

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 10:18:40 PM

With a wallet like XNOVA is ready to push out to the tribe, can you even BELIEVE these CHEAP xcps ? LOL

DayTrade with less exposure to risk, by setting buy and sell spreads with CabTrader v2, buy now @ crypto-folio.com
kirivas_s

Activity: 42

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 11:18:41 PM

With a wallet like XNOVA is ready to push out to the tribe, can you even BELIEVE these CHEAP xcps ? LOL

Hi halfcab, XCPs are so cheap coz of no trading interest. If you really see the trading happening in both poloniex/bter, someone is trying to mix his XCPs(not sure why). I believe this guy is responsible for 90% of the trade in both the exchanges for last 3 weeks or so.(PM me if you are interested to know the address)

PP and XNOVA are doing a great job, no doubt in that. But the key is to generate more interest in XCP. The value of XCPs should be atleast that of MSC if not more.
halfcab123

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 02:04:19 AM

Hi halfcab, XCPs are so cheap coz of no trading interest. If you really see the trading happening in both poloniex/bter, someone is trying to mix his XCPs(not sure why). I believe this guy is responsible for 90% of the trade in both the exchanges for last 3 weeks or so.(PM me if you are interested to know the address)

PP and XNOVA are doing a great job, no doubt in that. But the key is to generate more interest in XCP. The value of XCPs should be atleast that of MSC if not more.

Do you mean the market caps should be equal or counterparty greater? Master has 5x less coins total, so if the caps were equal xcp would be (msc/5) per coin. I was hoping we would see  at least half of MSC coin price for xcp, which would require the cap of counterparty to be 2.5x msc cap.

I'm going to get together with my filmer this weekend and make a decent commercial for counterparty.

DayTrade with less exposure to risk, by setting buy and sell spreads with CabTrader v2, buy now @ crypto-folio.com
halfcab123

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 02:09:02 AM

Once xcp hits 0.05 I'm going to go to kinkos and get a poster made with some of the buy orders like art and put it on my wall to remember what it was like before I was rich.

Chang Hum

Activity: 714
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 04:09:58 AM

Do you mean the market caps should be equal or counterparty greater? Master has 5x less coins total, so if the caps were equal xcp would be (msc/5) per coin. I was hoping we would see  at least half of MSC coin price for xcp, which would require the cap of counterparty to be 2.5x msc cap.

I'm going to get together with my filmer this weekend and make a decent commercial for counterparty.

How did you and your filmer get on with making the hard-hitting documentary you mentioned a couple of weeks back? can't wait to see the commercial good work halfcab!

I'm guessing you work in the television industry, have you got anything on youtube already you've done?
Bellebite2014

Activity: 56

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 04:49:59 AM

How did you and your filmer get on with making the hard-hitting documentary you mentioned a couple of weeks back? can't wait to see the commercial good work halfcab!

I'm guessing you work in the television industry, have you got anything on youtube already you've done?

You can find one example here :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PSNL1qE6VY
Pages: « 1 ... 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 [263] 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 ... 661 »
  Print  

Jump to: