Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:13:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 [293] 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 ... 661 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XCP] Counterparty - Pioneering Peer-to-Peer Finance - Official Thread  (Read 1276301 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
led_lcd

Activity: 262
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 11:07:24 PM

Luke-Jr what is your opinion regarding the pull request offered by Peter Todd?
He has 5 pull requests open, none of which seem relevant to this discussion.

Miners could still still make their decision on whether they wish to include such transactions in a block and Counterparty would use pruneable blockchain space.
Blockchain space is never prunable. Only UTXO space.

I don't know if it has been created yet. Please see:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=395761.msg5845721#msg5845721

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bountyful

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 11:12:04 PM

It's not enough to have a couple of pools mine our transactions. We need to keep the block time as close to ten minutes as possible.
Then contact more than a couple of pools. This statement sounds like you wish to force miners to include your transactions; surely you didn't mean it that way?
If you can provide a patch that identifies transactional-only Counterparty OP_RETURN transactions uniquely from 80-byte abuse, I will discuss whitelisting it on Eligius with wizkid057.
This is with the understanding that Counterparty will seek to migrate to a more acceptable solution long-term.

This is helpful and not the first time Eligius mining pool has offered to help Counterparty. Remember the burn period?
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=395761.msg4318549#msg4318549

Nice to see us exploring another opportunity to work together with Eligius, once again.

This is very helpful progress and looks like it can combine with some of the other proposals put forward. I dare say the solutions presented are even working out faster than a BIP proposal review!
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 11:13:00 PM

Miners could still still make their decision on whether they wish to include such transactions in a block and Counterparty would use pruneable blockchain space.

Ignoring petertodd's slanderous lie there, I will reiterate why his idea is based on a false assertion:
Reminder: transaction fees do not pay for transactions, merely attempt to deter/rate limit flooding. To cover the cost of transactions, transaction fees would need to be much higher and somehow distributed across all full nodes (not merely miners).

samperi649

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 11:17:10 PM

Ignoring petertodd's slanderous lie there, I will reiterate why his idea is based on a false assertion:
Reminder: transaction fees do not pay for transactions, merely attempt to deter/rate limit flooding. To cover the cost of transactions, transaction fees would need to be much higher and somehow distributed across all full nodes (not merely miners).

Wait for Zerocoin to boot BTC out.
Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 11:24:19 PM

You prefer an altcoin that requires centralised trust, over a decentralised Bitcoin? Smiley
Anyhow, hopefully the Zerocash folks will be just another Bitcoin side chain.

porqupine

Activity: 214
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 11:42:13 PM

You prefer an altcoin that requires centralised trust, over a decentralised Bitcoin? Smiley

I was under the impression Zerocoin was supposed to merged on top of bitcoin originally - I haven't read their white paper in detail though.
Real-world utility is essential to the value and success of a crypto-currency, therefore most of the alt projects just seem like moot (especially at the stage where even bitcoin lacks wide-spread adoptation). On the other hand blanket opposition to any kind of innovation on the bitcoin blockchain seems just as counter-productive.
Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 11:51:29 PM

I was under the impression Zerocoin was supposed to merged on top of bitcoin originally - I haven't read their white paper in detail though.
Originally. But the original concept was completely impractical (and still had the centralised trust issue).

Real-world utility is essential to the value and success of a crypto-currency, therefore most of the alt projects just seem like moot (especially at the stage where even bitcoin lacks wide-spread adoptation). On the other hand blanket opposition to any kind of innovation on the bitcoin blockchain seems just as counter-productive.
The idea behind side-chains is that you will be able to simply move bitcoins across multiple blockchains, with different properties of their own, and back again.
This makes them real-world usable, and free to do almost any kind of innovation.

samperi649

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 11:57:24 PM

Originally. But the original concept was completely impractical (and still had the centralised trust issue).

The idea behind side-chains is that you will be able to simply move bitcoins across multiple blockchains, with different properties of their own, and back again.
This makes them real-world usable, and free to do almost any kind of innovation.

Oh Really?!! You and your co-mates harassed Matt Green to the core that he wanted Zerocoin to be a true decentralised cryptocurrency. Dude! its not an altcoin. Its Zerocoin.
samperi649

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 11:58:48 PM

Look who is talking about decentralisation
led_lcd

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 12:00:02 AM

I agree with what you said. Is it correct that we are not at the stage where the fee can be distributed across the network? At the moment those fees we are talking about would be taken by the miners but there is nothing to stop those fees disbursed across the network in the future.

Am I correct to say that we don't disagree that:
1) Counterparty messages are financial transactions
2) There is scope to include Counterparty messages in the blockchain as long as :
  a) It doesn't cause undue burden on the network
  b) It doesn't open the door for other abuses of data storage in the blockchain

Counterparty requirements
1) 80 bytes of data
2) Counterparty transactions are relayed through the network as normal transactions

Do you think it is possible to reach an agreement from your side on how we can achieve these requirements? If so can you think how this could be possible?
Peter Todd
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1150

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 12:15:15 AM

I asked you on IRC last night to please clarify what exactly you consider to be a "slanderous lie":

21:48 < petertodd> Luke-Jr: you should clarify exactly what you disagree with with regard to my statement on coiledcoin
21:58 < Luke-Jr> petertodd: don't play dumb
21:59 < petertodd> Luke-Jr: no I'm quite serious.
22:07 < petertodd> Luke-Jr: in particular, what exactly are you saying you did here and how does that differ from my statement? https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=56675.msg678006#msg678006

You did not respond. Please do so here we can understand what exactly is your side of the story with regard to Coiledcoin being 51% attacked.

Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 12:29:16 AM

I agree with what you said. Is it correct that we are not at the stage where the fee can be distributed across the network? At the moment those fees we are talking about would be taken by the miners but there is nothing to stop those fees disbursed across the network in the future.
It's possible. Whether it's practical, is another more complicated issue Sad

2) There is scope to include Counterparty messages in the blockchain as long as :
This seems fair.

1) 80 bytes of data
2) Counterparty transactions are relayed through the network as normal transactions

Do you think it is possible to reach an agreement from your side on how we can achieve these requirements? If so can you think how this could be possible?
I don't think those requirements are reasonable.
Why does it matter how much data XCP can use, or how the transactions are relayed?
What should matter is that people can use it for A, B, and C goals.
The technical side is just a matter of implementation, not requirement.

samperi649

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 12:29:29 AM

You deleted my posts because I keep telling the truth
Peter Todd
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1150

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 12:30:27 AM

There's a lot of options for Zerocoin - most recently they've been talking about doing it as an alt-currency, however I was talking to their Ian Miers at the Financial Cryptography 2014 conference a few weeks ago about how Zerocoin could be implemented as an embedded consensus system within Bitcoin. The big advantage there is increasing security. Of course, there's the obvious resistance to 51% attacks that being embedded as opposed to independent provides. But a more subtle advantage is that Zerocoin does require a trusted setup phase. During that phase secret keys are generated, if the keys are not deleted they can be used in the future to produce fake proofs and thus create fake zerocoins. By making Zerocoin be an embedded consensus system, rather than an independent one, it becomes much easier for mutliple Zerocoin's to be setup, each initialized by different, independent, parties. The security of each version is the same - the security of the underlying Bitcoin blockchain - yet you get the advantage of being able to pick and choose who you trust to do the setup phase honestly. I guess we'll see what the team chooses to go with in the end, but in any case if they do not go with the embedded route I'd certainly consider forking the project and releasing a version under that model myself.

porqupine

Activity: 214
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 12:31:22 AM

You deleted my posts because I keep telling the truth

I would guess it's because you are using yet another alt to post scrap.
PhantomPhreak (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 300

Counterparty Chief Scientist and Co-Founder

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 12:40:20 AM

1) 80 bytes of data

Why does it matter how much data XCP can use, or how the transactions are relayed?

We need at least 80 bytes because that's the limit the Counterparty protocol was designed around.

The solution you proposed is hackish and political, and needlessly so. We need a simple, robust and standard way of relaying our transactions through the normal and fully decentralised Bitcoin network. We need for our system to have as few points of failure as possible.
Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 12:44:46 AM

1) 80 bytes of data

We need at least 80 bytes because that's the limit the Counterparty protocol was designed around.
Expect to have to change the protocol at some point.
No offence intended (this is expected in ordinary development), but the current one is at best a "first draft".

The solution you proposed is hackish and political, and needlessly so.
If you mean the predefined relays, yes, it is a bit hackish. As is the current protocol generally.
But it will work in the short-term, while a better protocol for upgrading to can be designed.

We need a simple, robust and standard way of relaying our transactions through the normal and fully decentralised Bitcoin network. We need for our system to have as few points of failure as possible.
Forcing others to provide services is not justified by the "need" for it.

zjtwohaha

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 12:48:41 AM

1) 80 bytes of data

The solution you proposed is hackish and political, and needlessly so. We need a simple, robust and standard way of relaying our transactions through the normal and fully decentralised Bitcoin network. We need for our system to have as few points of failure as possible.
So don't u mean if bitcoin core devs insist on 40 bytes, XCP will be gradually dead?
led_lcd

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 01:03:15 AM

It's possible. Whether it's practical, is another more complicated issue Sad

This seems fair.

1) 80 bytes of data

Unfortunately, if Counterparty transactions were relayed only as nonstandard transactions, it creates a large nonfunctional issue where the time between Counterparty transactions would become unnecessarily large. Perhaps this would be negated if other miners were to agree to then but then we end up with a suboptimal solution been widely accepted.

I'd like to see a solution which meets the requirements we are asking and also gives the miners the choice if they were to include the transaction in the block.
PhantomPhreak (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 300

Counterparty Chief Scientist and Co-Founder

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 01:17:33 AM

1) 80 bytes of data

So don't u mean if bitcoin core devs insist on 40 bytes, XCP will be gradually dead?

No, not at all.
Pages: « 1 ... 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 [293] 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 ... 661 »
  Print  

Jump to: