Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 03:16:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 [235] 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 ... 661 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XCP] Counterparty - Pioneering Peer-to-Peer Finance - Official Thread  (Read 1276347 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
qxzn

Activity: 609
Merit: 505

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 10:12:13 AM

Doesn't it poll the github account directly controlled by the dev also? not sure what all github allows them to see, but just those 2 sites is disappointing here.
Still glad we got the altcoin bump on this one, hope more investors jump in to pick up the slack.
Too bad that second exchange didn't open up. . .
all these changes to the burn fees for transactions makes the DEX hopeless for endusers and paying a central source for trading this altcoin brings us back to square one.

Great ideas though! A dev will surely figure out usable code to do altcoin DEXing eventually.

Kudos to the dev's for thinking this up, so simple of an idea, yet so requiring of coding skills to actually implement. . .

https://forums.counterparty.co/index.php/topic,71.0.html

Sorry, yes, it does also poll github, I saw that but somehow did not make note of it. The page it polls is this:

https://raw2.github.com/PhantomPhreak/counterpartyd/master/versions.json

And just glancing through the code, it appears that the reason for this polling is to notify clients when an updated version of the client is available.

This seems reasonable to me.
halfcab123

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

CabTrader v2 | crypto-folio.com

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 10:17:26 AM

Doesn't it poll the github account directly controlled by the dev also? not sure what all github allows them to see, but just those 2 sites is disappointing here.
Still glad we got the altcoin bump on this one, hope more investors jump in to pick up the slack.
all these changes to the burn fees for transactions makes the DEX hopeless for endusers and paying a central source for trading this altcoin brings us back to square one.

Great ideas though! A dev will surely figure out usable code to do altcoin DEXing eventually.

Kudos to the dev's for thinking this up, so simple of an idea, yet so requiring of coding skills to actually implement. . .

Sorry, yes, it does also poll github, I saw that but somehow did not make note of it. The page it polls is this:

And just glancing through the code, it appears that the reason for this polling is to notify clients when an updated version of the client is available.

Why the fearmongering

DayTrade with less exposure to risk, by setting buy and sell spreads with CabTrader v2, buy now @ crypto-folio.com
led_lcd

Activity: 262
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 10:26:20 AM

Did they alter the CLI to remove the market function? They publish a changelog?

We've decided against recommending counterparty to investors due to the unstable nature of the critically required software releases (due to its "alpha" quality perhaps), the developers implementing code to open network connections to continually poll website/s (wtf?) while they refused to consider adding some simple features to allow DEX usability (ok, we get it, you don't want to implement our advice, but adding forced updating and http polling is unacceptable. . .)
For historical documentation our recomendations were compiled here: https://forums.counterparty.co/index.php/topic,71.0.html currently knocked to page 2 of that board due to non-interest of devs although the proposal was reviewed.
Why would you force people to update into new versions that continually establish a network connection to a specific site without explicitly informing users that the update does such new networking activities? https://github.com/PhantomPhreak/counterpartyd
WOW, very detailed changelog (professionals for sure!)
 Seems rather sketchy at best. . .

Yes, it was removed and PhantomPhreak said it will be added back. It is in the develop branch.

There are many changes going through at the moment which is tightening security around the protocol. Security first. Same reason for forced updating. It will become less frequent as time passes.
qxzn

Activity: 609
Merit: 505

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 10:27:38 AM

Why the fearmongering

Actually, I was trying to do the opposite of fearmongering, to quell some FUD, in fact..
JahPowerBit

Activity: 335
Merit: 255

Counterparty Developer

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 11:09:07 AM

What's with theMightyX's interface, though? Still waiting for it...

We have made good progress this weekend on the new design with TheMightyX. Normally this week or next weekend I could publish.

Reminder ;-) :

https://forums.counterparty.co/index.php/topic,134.0.html

1Ht6dp7Kxn9htAcBhy6PAGcpNqqNNyiapu
yidian

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 12:36:18 PM

I actually installed XCP's client which is really cool. Can someone send me XCP for test?

Activity: 55

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 01:06:18 PM

waiting for the gui wallet....
Bellebite2014

Activity: 56

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 02:39:15 PM

I actually installed XCP's client which is really cool. Can someone send me XCP for test?

I actually installed a vault in my basement which is really cool. Can someone send me gold bars for test?

Jesus... Nothing is free in life, you want some and were too retarded to not burn some BTC in January ? Go to poloniex, thanks.
supervine

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 02:45:19 PM

Israeli hackathon teams working hard to implement sport betting on XCP.
Good luck guys...
http://www.meetup.com/BTCHACKIL/events/166860292/

That's great. Is there a way we can support them?

I couldn't see a mention specifically of counterparty there, but did see that they are sponsored by mastercoin foundation?
If they are working with counterparty I would be interested in donating towards any innovative development efforts

Yes, Israeli hackathon was sponsored by Mastercoin as Bitcoin  2.0 projects. The guys has choose to implement it on XCP first (and then port to MSC) for some reason (I don't know why). One of their projects is to make broadcasts of altcoins prices to XCP network to make available bets. Some of their testings can be seen on blockchain...
The final project will be presented in hackathon in Texas this weekend. Until then they refuse give any details (competition, you know).
As well, about sport bets, they told is very problematic in regulation sphere (in Israel betting is forbbiden). There are rumors about some other anonymous team working on it.
I'm not directly connected to project, just know the guy leading it.
Donations are welcome (XCP or BTC): 149fnvJxu6QbW1hBgoijAx9VZ3dcNmzNP5

Hope they will come soon with something usefull. Something XCP so lack :-)

Best android app for crypto: Crypto Coins Manager
All coins, prices, tendencies, price change alerts, favorite coins, mining profitability &much more
romerun
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1001

Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 02:58:47 PM

sounds exciting. I thought Israeli folks were all over mastercoin
520Bit

Activity: 602
Merit: 252

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 03:04:43 PM

Buy some from here: https://www.poloniex.com/exchange/btc_xcp
IamNotSure

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 03:58:32 PM

I actually installed a vault in my basement which is really cool. Can someone send me gold bars for test?

Jesus... Nothing is free in life, you want some and were too retarded to not burn some BTC in January ? Go to poloniex, thanks.

ROFL

Actually, if he installed counterparty he might use the DEX...
grandpa_seth

Activity: 316

Simcoin Puny Humans Communicator

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 04:13:19 PM

.....cracks me up.....I'm a terrible person
xnova

Activity: 390
Merit: 254

Counterparty Developer

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 06:43:13 PM

Blockchain.info queries
Regarding the blockchain.info site hits, those were necessary for retrieving an arbitrary account balances as well as unspent outputs (UTXOs) for an arbitrary address. This was only required when we needed to get this information on an address that was not in the local wallet (e.g. for counterwallet itself, as we do not keep web wallet users' addresses in the server's bitcoind wallet). As of our commits to develop this weekend, these blockchain.info calls are no longer necessary, due to us now using Bitpay's Insight daemon, which is a free, open source product that provides an API with similar services and is installed on the local machine, parsing through the blockchain files stored by bitcoind. More info: https://github.com/xnova/counterpartyd_build/blob/develop/docs/SettingUpInsight.rst)

However, regarding this, note that counterpartyd has a new "insight-enable" config setting. By default, on mainnet, this is set to 0 (off), due to the overhead with setting up insight (e.g. it's similar complexity to setting up bitcoind, and takes about 30GB on disk once the mainnet data is indexed -- we didn't want to force doing this on people that just wanted to use counterwalletd to run the GUI on mainnet, for instance). If this setting is off, blockchain will still be used to get the required data (and note this is not a persistent connection, it's just a simple HTTP query as we need to get the data). Moreover, Insight is required to be used on testnet, since blockchain.info's APIs do not support testnet.

I'm glad that we could remove this dependency on blockchain.info. We feel the same way about consulting 3rd party sites in the code of a "decentralized" system like Counterparty. It was a hack at first due to the limitations of bitcoind, and we've been able to move past it this weekend, employing a more proper solution that preserves decentralization (i.e. using insight, which is free, open source, installed locally and works off of the local blockchain data).

Version check (github.com query)

This is a simple (i.e. non-persistent) query to a single .json file on github, to make sure the client is up to date with the most recent major modifications. This was done to avoid forks (i.e. situations where someone starts up old code, and ends up sending out an invalid txn, which is seen as valid by those running counterpartyd on the same old code, but not by people on the newer code, for instance). These are serious situations, and due to the rapid pace of counterpartyd development, this was seen as the most acceptable option, as the file it hits is a) public and b) under version control, in the same location as the code, and c) published/updated in the same manner as the code is (signed push by the devs).

Also, even with this check, note that if the client is NOT up to date, counterpartyd will simply complain and not start. It will NOT automatically update any code, or make any changes.

Moreover, Phantom has just today enhanced the --force flag to avoid this version check, so if you REALLY want to run without this functionality (not recommended!), you can just use --force. Again, we do not want to make people have to have their client check an external 3rd party site. It's just in this case, it's a Really Good Idea that we default to. This check will remain, at least until development has slowed down. We think it's a good idea beyond that though, to avoid forks as much as possible.

Hopefully that clears up some of these concerns. Thanks guys for working with us and being patient as things continue to take form.

Visit the official Counterparty forums: http://counterpartytalk.org
kdrop22

Activity: 238

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 07:24:31 PM

What's your address?
Post your address, one of us can send you some coin.
TheMightyX

Activity: 350

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 07:53:12 PM

What's with theMightyX's interface, though? Still waiting for it...

We have made good progress this weekend on the new design with TheMightyX. Normally this week or next weekend I could publish.

Reminder ;-) :

https://forums.counterparty.co/index.php/topic,134.0.html

1Ht6dp7Kxn9htAcBhy6PAGcpNqqNNyiapu

Really sorry guys, we ran into a couple snags but we are still working away on it!
Also taking suggestions of forum members into account has added a bit of work for me.
I would say we are 90% complete, color themes and all!

Want a specific color theme combination added to the code? donate a small amount to JahPowerBits donation fund and send me a PM with the colors you like!
Bountyful

Activity: 45

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 08:00:00 PM

Blockchain.info queries
Regarding the blockchain.info site hits, those were necessary for retrieving an arbitrary account balances as well as unspent outputs (UTXOs) for an arbitrary address. This was only required when we needed to get this information on an address that was not in the local wallet (e.g. for counterwallet itself, as we do not keep web wallet users' addresses in the server's bitcoind wallet). As of our commits to develop this weekend, these blockchain.info calls are no longer necessary, due to us now using Bitpay's Insight daemon, which is a free, open source product that provides an API with similar services and is installed on the local machine, parsing through the blockchain files stored by bitcoind. More info: https://github.com/xnova/counterpartyd_build/blob/develop/docs/SettingUpInsight.rst)

However, regarding this, note that counterpartyd has a new "insight-enable" config setting. By default, on mainnet, this is set to 0 (off), due to the overhead with setting up insight (e.g. it's similar complexity to setting up bitcoind, and takes about 30GB on disk once the mainnet data is indexed -- we didn't want to force doing this on people that just wanted to use counterwalletd to run the GUI on mainnet, for instance). If this setting is off, blockchain will still be used to get the required data (and note this is not a persistent connection, it's just a simple HTTP query as we need to get the data). Moreover, Insight is required to be used on testnet, since blockchain.info's APIs do not support testnet.

I'm glad that we could remove this dependency on blockchain.info. We feel the same way about consulting 3rd party sites in the code of a "decentralized" system like Counterparty. It was a hack at first due to the limitations of bitcoind, and we've been able to move past it this weekend, employing a more proper solution that preserves decentralization (i.e. using insight, which is free, open source, installed locally and works off of the local blockchain data).

Version check (github.com query)

This is a simple (i.e. non-persistent) query to a single .json file on github, to make sure the client is up to date with the most recent major modifications. This was done to avoid forks (i.e. situations where someone starts up old code, and ends up sending out an invalid txn, which is seen as valid by those running counterpartyd on the same old code, but not by people on the newer code, for instance). These are serious situations, and due to the rapid pace of counterpartyd development, this was seen as the most acceptable option, as the file it hits is a) public and b) under version control, in the same location as the code, and c) published/updated in the same manner as the code is (signed push by the devs).

Also, even with this check, note that if the client is NOT up to date, counterpartyd will simply complain and not start. It will NOT automatically update any code, or make any changes.

Moreover, Phantom has just today enhanced the --force flag to avoid this version check, so if you REALLY want to run without this functionality (not recommended!), you can just use --force. Again, we do not want to make people have to have their client check an external 3rd party site. It's just in this case, it's a Really Good Idea that we default to. This check will remain, at least until development has slowed down. We think it's a good idea beyond that though, to avoid forks as much as possible.

Hopefully that clears up some of these concerns. Thanks guys for working with us and being patient as things continue to take form.

Changelog in YO FACE! Yeah!
Bountyful

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 08:03:01 PM

I updated my proposal for Asset Issuance fees to be reduced to 2 XCP from the current temporary 5XCP that is burned in each asset issuance.

Here: https://forums.counterparty.co/index.php/topic,150.msg1060.html#msg1060

If the community has any comments or views on this request for a change in the temporary asset issuance pricing, will you post your views?  This will cut the cost of asset issuance immediately as we continue to review and propose new approaches to smart property asset fees.
halfcab123

Activity: 224

CabTrader v2 | crypto-folio.com

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 08:28:45 PM

Has the majority of discourse moved to native channels ?

DayTrade with less exposure to risk, by setting buy and sell spreads with CabTrader v2, buy now @ crypto-folio.com
Bountyful

View Profile
March 03, 2014, 09:19:19 PM

Has the majority of discourse moved to native channels ?

If we all want to get rich from Counterparty, we need to build more and the conversations on the Counterparty forums seems to be focused on building mainly. Not sure its the majority of discourse, but hopefully a path to profits for everyone?
Pages: « 1 ... 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 [235] 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 ... 661 »
  Print  

Jump to: