Bitcoin Forum
July 02, 2024, 07:48:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 [486] 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 ... 660 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XCP] Counterparty - Pioneering Peer-to-Peer Finance - Official Thread  (Read 1276355 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
lonsharim

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 10:29:22 AM

The same as Counterparty keep BTC same BTCdrak(dev) keep burned Viacoins

Counterparty no keep BTC, that "destroyed" to address what anyone cant use. Viacoins "burned" coins go back for developers pockets.

So Counterparty Team can't use that BTC from burning process??

That is correct, the Proof of Burn address is unspendable, no one has its private keys

https://blockchain.info/address/1CounterpartyXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXUWLpVr

For each transaction to this address during the burn period, a certain number of XCP were alloted to the sending address.
ElTomeko27

Activity: 371
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 10:33:42 AM

The same as Counterparty keep BTC same BTCdrak(dev) keep burned Viacoins

Counterparty no keep BTC, that "destroyed" to address what anyone cant use. Viacoins "burned" coins go back for developers pockets.

So Counterparty Team can't use that BTC from burning process??

Of course not, that's the point of a Burning process, and helped prove the devs really believed in what they did since they had to burn some bitcoins to get some XCPs, like everyone else.

Ok understand now. There was a description in clearwallet "burn" so i thought that is the same but it isn't.
deliciousowl

Activity: 432

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 10:36:36 AM
Last edit: October 22, 2014, 01:59:39 PM by deliciousowl

IIRC, they changed their attitudes positively towards Counterparty recently. Those kinds of comments now only come from competing projects.
Yes im glad they have changed, however to say that these comments come from competing projects is wrong. This will be an ongoing issue that will be up for discussion and simply accusing people that ask questions of being from a competing projects is ridiculous.

Sorry, it just seems ludicrous at this point because its literally a non-argument. AFAIK XCP transactions are prune-able, pay transaction fees, and ultimately contribute to the liquidity of Bitcoin. Not only that, but trading on the DEx pays the miners a default of 1% of BTC sell orders. I absolutely fail to see how that is damage.

Besides, it's self regulating. If nobody uses it, there is no added data. If everyone uses it, the value must exceed its very limited footprint. The burned BTC that were converted are now worth 1500% as XCP.

1% of BTC Sell orders towards network incentive and a 10+ fold increase in exchange value can't pay for a few bytes, really?

krach
Legendary

Activity: 1851
Merit: 1020

Get Rekt

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2014, 10:50:59 AM

Sorry, it just seems ludicrous at this point because its literally a non-argument.
No it is not a non-argument, if it was a non-argument then OP RETURN would be used. Therefore discussing this topic is in no way ludicrous.

It is a shame that competitors whose existence is 100 % thanks to counterparty are arguing against counterparty (on XCP thread by the way).
It is a shame that people are so dogmatic that they can not see that the use of counterparty on other chains shows how good counterparty is, the utlitly of it. I might add that since the counterparty code is open source that projects that use it would be on topic, unless this is a pure XCP topic, which it does not read as.

[color=#00██ ████ ████

▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀▐▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█

▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀    ▄▀█████▀     ▀█▄
▄█▄    █        ▀▄   ███▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▄       ▄▀▀▀▀▀███▄
████      ▀▄▄▄▄▄▀       ███
███     ▄▄███████▄▄     ▄▀█
█  ▀▄ ▄▀ ▀███████▀ ▀▄ ▄▀  █
▀█   █     ▀███▀     ▀▄  █▀
▀█▄▄█▄      █        █▄█▀
▀█████▄ ▄▀▀ ▀▀▄▄ ▄▄███▀
▀█████        ████▀
▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀

● OVER 1000000000 REKT PLEBS
● DAILY PARLAYS, ACCAS, SINGLES AND BOASTING
● BONUS HUNTING & VIP PICKS
● 24/7 LIVE TROLL BOX
● SCAM TOUTS ROASTED LIVE

520Bit

Activity: 602
Merit: 252

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 10:54:43 AM

btc38.com lost their words. XCP has been on No. 1 at btc38 for 1 month, but they do not add XCP on the exchange. I feel frustrated.
PhantomPhreak (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 300

Counterparty Chief Scientist and Co-Founder

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 11:31:01 AM

IIRC, they changed their attitudes positively towards Counterparty recently. Those kinds of comments now only come from competing projects.
Yes im glad they have changed, however to say that these comments come from competing projects is wrong. This will be an ongoing issue that will be up for discussion and simply accusing people that ask questions of being from a competing projects is ridiculous.

Sorry, it just seems ludicrous at this point because its literally a non-argument. AFAIK XCP transactions are prune-able, pay transaction fees, and ultimately contribute to the liquidity of Bitcoin. Not only that, but trading on the DEx pays the miners a default of 1% of orders. I absolutely fail to see how that is damage.

Besides, it's self regulating. If nobody uses it, there is no added data. If everyone uses it, the value must exceed its very limited footprint. The burned BTC that were converted are now worth 1500% as XCP.

1% of all orders towards network incentive and a 10+ fold increase in exchange value can't pay for a few bytes, really?

The data are prunable, etc., but the 1% miners' fee is only for orders selling BTC.
prophetx
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010

he who has the gold makes the rules

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2014, 01:49:29 PM

btc38.com lost their words. XCP has been on No. 1 at btc38 for 1 month, but they do not add XCP on the exchange. I feel frustrated.

does anyone have a contact at btc38?  someone will be putting up the chinese language version of counterwallet up for testing soon, would like to ask them to see if they can get some of their users to test it.
deliciousowl

Activity: 432

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 01:59:04 PM

The data are prunable, etc., but the 1% miners' fee is only for orders selling BTC.

Ah my mistake, I must have accidentally left that out. Updated.

baddw

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 03:15:44 PM

If you think speed and cost of action is not a big issue, if not the major issue that even started the idea I belive that you are mistaken.

If you think aggrandizement and/or enrichment of the Dogeparty/Clearinghouse "devs"/copycats aren't the major issue that even started the idea, I believe that you are mistaken.

BTC/XCP 11596GYYq5WzVHoHTmYZg4RufxxzAGEGBX
DRK XvFhRFQwvBAmFkaii6Kafmu6oXrH4dSkVF
Eligius Payouts/CPPSRB Explained  I am not associated with Eligius in any way.  I just think that it is a good pool with a cool payment system Smiley
Matt Y

Activity: 647
Merit: 510

Counterpartying

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2014, 03:21:12 PM

Pretty sure this is what's getting us all the love and adoration from Viacoin folks...

ElTomeko27

Activity: 371

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 03:43:41 PM

Pretty sure this is what's getting us all the love and adoration from Viacoin folks...

Viacoin is in downtrend since the beginning of september.
Matt Y

Counterpartying

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2014, 04:14:42 PM

Patrick Byrne: Bitcoin Will Immensely Disrupt Financial Industry

Jason then asks Patrick about recent speeches he gave at Bitcoin conferences talking about the long, fight over hundreds of years between tyranny and freedom.

Patrick is optimistic about freedom starting to win despite the NSA, and other breaches of freedom. He thinks Bitcoin and the block chain technology will play a key role in freedom winning going forward.

Jason and Patrick discuss whether all markets are manipulated including gold and silver.

Finally to wrap up the interview, Jason asks Patrick about Bitcoin, why he decided to start accepting it at Overstock.com and the new block chain related business Patrick is now invested in called Counter Party http://counterparty.io/.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlMdsDSN7IA&feature=youtu.be

krach
Legendary

Get Rekt

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2014, 04:38:12 PM

If you think aggrandizement and/or enrichment of the Dogeparty/Clearinghouse "devs"/copycats aren't the major issue that even started the idea, I believe that you are mistaken.
Are some of the counterparty devs the same as the dogeparty devs?
Is counterparty open source and able to be to be forked? Did Viacoin add the blockchain notary which is not present in counterparty?
"copycat" so basicly anyone that uses any open source technology is a copycat then.

MattY
I dont know if you are talking to me but I am pro counterparty, dogeparty and clearinghouse. If your only repsonse to disucssion is crypto tribalist dogma then that is a shame.

[color=#00██ ████ ████

▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█

▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀    ▄▀█████▀     ▀█▄
▀█████▄ ▄▀▀ ▀▀▄▄ ▄▄███▀
▀█████        ████▀
▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀

● 24/7 LIVE TROLL BOX

baddw

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 04:50:43 PM

Are some of the counterparty devs the same as the dogeparty devs?
Is counterparty open source and able to be to be forked? Did Viacoin add the blockchain notary which is not present in counterparty?
"copycat" so basicly anyone that uses any open source technology is a copycat then.

None of that is relevant.  I'm not saying there is no value added.  I am merely stating the primary motivator behind the coins' existence.

Eligius Payouts/CPPSRB Explained  I am not associated with Eligius in any way.  I just think that it is a good pool with a cool payment system Smiley
krach
Legendary

Get Rekt

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2014, 05:16:12 PM
Last edit: October 22, 2014, 05:27:20 PM by krach

None of that is relevant.  I'm not saying there is no value added.  I am merely stating the primary motivator behind the coins' existence.
It is in fact very realivant. Maybe you are not saying that there is no value added however that is one of the main arguments when you read "copycat" . In regards to overlapping devs then that would be a self copycat. If speed and cost of action were non issues then they could have picked superslowcoinofthe week to piggyback on instead of doge, for example.

nevermind
XCP MOON eveything else is copy cat bad and only XCP is the real deal

[color=#00██ ████ ████

▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█

▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀    ▄▀█████▀     ▀█▄
▀█████▄ ▄▀▀ ▀▀▄▄ ▄▄███▀
▀█████        ████▀
▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀

● 24/7 LIVE TROLL BOX

Spratan

Activity: 689
Merit: 507

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 05:53:27 PM

WTF
Peter Todd saying XCP devs should go to jail...
https://twitter.com/petertoddbtc/status/524947758528999424

Note that he Ironically said later that He is not tied with Clearinghouse, just a simple consultant.
He is panicking or what ?
Matt Y

Counterpartying

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2014, 05:56:51 PM

WTF
Peter Todd saying XCP devs should go to jail...
https://twitter.com/petertoddbtc/status/524947758528999424

Note that he Ironically said later that He is not tied with Clearinghouse, just a simple consultant.
He is panicking or what ?

It's a joke. Reread it.

baddw

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 06:05:52 PM

None of that is relevant.  I'm not saying there is no value added.  I am merely stating the primary motivator behind the coins' existence.
It is in fact very realivant. Maybe you are not saying that there is no value added however that is one of the main arguments when you read "copycat" . In regards to overlapping devs then that would be a self copycat. If speed and cost of action were non issues then they could have picked superslowcoinofthe week to piggyback on instead of doge, for example.

By "copycat" I simply mean that the code is 100% copied from Counterparty and a few adjustments made to get it to work on the new blockchain.  Much in the same way that Litecoin was code 100% copied from Bitcoin and a few parameters changed (block time and mining algorithm).  Obviously people think there is some value to Litecoin, but that doesn't keep it from being a copycat.

The strength of Counterparty lies in being built on Bitcoin.  Its weaknesses also come from being built on Bitcoin.  If you want a better decentralized exchange then move to something built from the ground up to be a "Bitcoin 2.0" technology, like NXT or Ripple or BitSharesX.  (Hell, even just come out with a clone/copycat of them, they are all open source, right?)

Starting up a new coin like Viacoin with the sole purpose of having Counterparty run on top of it is asinine.  A Bitcoin-based PoW blockchain is really not ideal for a Decentralized Exchange.  Counterparty is kludge enough to make it work (and that IS a compliment), but if the Counterparty devs were wanting to build a decentralized exchange from scratch, I bet that they would NOT start by creating a Bitcoin-like blockchain to base it on.

Bitcoin is the 1,000 pound gorilla of Crypto-currencies.  It is worth 40x Litecoin and 240x Dogecoin.  It is what people think of when the word "crypto-currency" is mentioned.  Counterparty being built on Bitcoin, and having direct interoperability with Bitcoin, is its major strength.

krach
Legendary

Get Rekt

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2014, 06:18:42 PM

Yes, I agree however if it is "asinine" then why piggyback on doge? There are other uses besides the decentral exchange.
NXT is scammy imho, I dont like ripple and I also do not like bitsharesX where everything is just a derivative of other things and given fancy names.

[color=#00██ ████ ████

▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█

▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀    ▄▀█████▀     ▀█▄
▀█████▄ ▄▀▀ ▀▀▄▄ ▄▄███▀
▀█████        ████▀
▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀

● 24/7 LIVE TROLL BOX

baddw

View Profile
October 22, 2014, 06:31:42 PM

Yes, I agree however if it is "asinine" then why piggyback on doge? There are other uses besides the decentral exchange.
NXT is scammy imho, I dont like ripple and I also do not like bitsharesX where everything is just a derivative of other things and given fancy names.

I said it was asinine to create another blockchain just for use as a basis for a Counterparty clone, like Viacoin did. Doge already exists and has value, and it has relatively fast block times.  I think that Dogeparty at least makes a bit of sense.  Good community, blah blah.  Still though the guy(s) who made Dogeparty are receiving a lot of attention (and possibly some wealth) for basically copying and pasting Counterparty code.  That was pretty much my point.

I'm not saying that the PoS problem has been solved, but I do think that Ripple/NXT/BitSharesX all have managed to find ways to be both secure and performant.  I personally dislike Ripple and NXT (both of which I think are scammy), but I like and am invested in BTSX.  "Everything is just a derivative of other things and given fancy names" exists in any DEx (including NXT and Ripple) because, well, that's just the way it goes if you want to maintain a decentralized, trustless environment.  Even then, the system requires a bit of trust, but the trust is limited to a single vector.  And again, this points to the great strength of Counterparty: its ability to natively use BTC without any redirection or derivatives.

Pages: « 1 ... 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 [486] 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 ... 660 »
  Print  

Jump to: