Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 04:14:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 [170] 171 172 173 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Blockchain.info - Bitcoin Block explorer & Currency Statistics  (Read 482338 times)
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4612

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 04:08:48 PM

I've experienced some frustration.

This is because you are trying to look at bitcoin at a technical level without any understanding of how bitcoin actually works.  You've come to the right place to learn.

1)
Code:
I have 10 btc in address A of my (non-imported) wallets.

At the technical level, bitcoin doesn't maintain a balance at an address.  Instead, the blockchain allows the wallet to SEPARATELY keep track of all the individual payments that have been sent to an address.  The wallet might choose to add those payments up and show you the total as a balance, but they are actually still separate units in the blockchain.

It would be more accurate to say that you have "a list of payments all sent to address A such that the sum of those payments is 10 BTC".

1)
Code:
...This transaction sends 3 btc from A to the exchange,

No. Bitcoin doesn't "send BTC from" anywhere.  It chooses unspent payments, and lists them in the transaction to provide value to that transaction.  After they have been listed in a transaction they are considered to be "spent".  They can therefore never again be used to provide value to any future transaction.

So, in the case you are describing, the previously received payment that the wallet chose to spend was a single unspent 5 BTC payment that you received in the past.

Then, once value has been provided to the transaction with the list of previously received payments, the wallet adds a list of NEW unspent payments that can be spent in the future.  In this case, it added a 3 BTC payment to an address under the control of the exchange.

Code:
and sends 2 btc to a new address B of my wallet,

Correct.

The way bitcoin transactions work is that there is a list of unspent previously received payments that add value to the transaction and a list of new unspent payments that reassign that value.  Any value left over in the transaction that hasn't been reassigned is the TRANSACTION FEE which the miner is allowed to assign to himself.

So, if the transaction didn't have that 2 BTC payment listed in the transaction, then the miner would have received a 2 BTC transaction fee!

This payment in the transaction is often called the "change", because it is much like paying a merchant for a $10 item with a $20 bill.  You get back a payment of a $10 bill as "change" from the transaction.

You'll often see it described as a "change output".

Code:
and 5 remains inside A.

More specifically, the sum of the unspent remaining SEPARATE payments to that address is 5 BTC.

What's the reason coin is sent from a to b?

Hopefully you can now see why a payment is made to address b.

All it does is increase fee costs for this and future transactions.

No it does not.  It wouldn't matter if that payment were sent to A or to B.  It is still a separate payment.  Sending it to A would not reduce the cost of using that payment in a future transaction.

I'd assume it's because reusing addresses is bad for privacy.

Since it isn't going to increase the cost of future transactions, it makes sense to use a new address.  This increases privacy and slightly increases security.

But this is not the case here as some coin is still is A.

That is only because address A was re-used to receive multiple payments. This is a bad practice.  Whenever possible a new address should be used for every payment received.

By re-using the address when you received the payments, you damaged your own privacy as well as some of the privacy of those you transact with.

Too many people mistakenly think of a bitcoin address as an account number.  This is a very common misunderstanding.

A better analogy would be to think of a bitcoin address as an invoice number.  It is a way to identify who sent you the bitcoins, and why they sent them.  If you give every sender a separate address for every payment that they will send you, then you can keep track of who you gave the address to and what the reason was.

2)
Also, using the memonic passphrase I can sign messages with any specific addresses of any specific wallet. (using github tools in offline mode)
Some coin of a wallet was sitting in an address, comparable to address B above, for which I could not locate the private key.
I had to transfer those coin to a new receiving address of the same wallet, for which I did locate the private key.

How did you transfer them if you didn't have the private key?

Maybe these intermediate addresses have a different type than the receiving addresses? not sure

No.  They are just additional addresses generated from the same wallet memonic.

3)
Some transactions to previously used addresses were not showing up in the transaction page, although the balance was correct.
I'll investigate this later on, I might be wrong Smiley

Blockchain.info has a reputation for having issues with their website and wallet.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if they had a bug that didn't display all the transactions.

EDIT: I just send another tx, now a transaction from 2 addresses, although one address has enough to cover the entire transaction???

Correct.

The wallet chose 2 unspent previously received payments to provide value to the transaction.  Rather than list 2 separate payments received at the same address, it listed 2 separate payments received at two different addresses. The wallet most likely did this because it couldn't find a single unspent payment received at any address that was big enough to cover the entire value needed.  As such, this doesn't change the size of the transaction at all.  It might even make the transaction smaller if the "one address" which "has enough to cover the entire transaction" actually received all that value spread across more than two payments.

That's like 0.5$ lost in excess tx size fees Sad

Not excess.  Your wallet almost certainly didn't have a single unspent previously received payment large enough to cover the entire value of the transaction. Therefore, it was necessary to add another previously received payment to the list.

I can't imagine this being good for microtransactions.

I guess that depends on how small a transaction has to be to be considred a "microtransaction".  But in my opinion, bitcoin hasn't been viable for microtransactions for a while now, and will probably not be ever again.  (I'd consider a "microtransaction" to be anything less than $0.01 worth of value).
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Wassupia

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 10, 2017, 02:19:06 PM
Last edit: July 10, 2017, 03:07:46 PM by Wassupia

Ok, thank you guys for explaining and assistance, I didn't know I was so clueless about transactions .
I really appreciate your time Smiley

My BTC-address: 1JtgnB6UC5j9gMYzLftVaCmwdPL4PrWeYB
Raja_MBZ
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1505

View Profile
July 25, 2017, 08:15:36 PM

Has blockchain.info announced something about the fork (if it happens) yet?

I've a web-wallet there, I'd not mind transferring my bitcoins to a paper wallet if they're not clear with the policy on 1st August.
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 6105

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 05:42:22 AM

I've a web-wallet there, I'd not mind transferring my bitcoins to a paper wallet if they're not clear with the policy on 1st August.

Not that I'm aware of, I can't find any recent posts regarding the harfork on their blog but compared to other services like Xapo and Coinbase, they claim that nothing is stored on their servers except the wallet.dat file which you only have the password for even If they decide to support only one one of them which I doubt, you can always export your private keys and import them somewhere else.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 10188

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 07:47:47 PM

Not that I'm aware of, I can't find any recent posts regarding the harfork on their blog but compared to other services like Xapo and Coinbase, they claim that nothing is stored on their servers except the wallet.dat file which you only have the password for even If they decide to support only one one of them which I doubt, you can always export your private keys and import them somewhere else.

Since coinbase has come out and stated that they clearly are not recognizing Bitcoin cash, I am going to move some of my coins from there to another location... bitfinex said that they will recognize bitcoin cash from the start... but it remains a bit ambiguous to me, about whether blockchain will recognize bitcoin cash or do I have to send blockchain coins to another wallet before any such chain split, were such a chain split to occur.

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
Taya Afi

Activity: 490
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 28, 2017, 06:07:19 PM

Hello. I have a Bitcoin (BTC) on online wallet Blockchain.info and I have questions about a new bitcoin chain named BitcoinCash (BCC).
 How can I get a BitcoinCash and at the same time stay on Blockchain.info?

OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 6105

View Profile
July 28, 2017, 06:44:53 PM

Hello. I have a Bitcoin (BTC) on online wallet Blockchain.info and I have questions about a new bitcoin chain named BitcoinCash (BCC).
 How can I get a BitcoinCash and at the same time stay on Blockchain.info?

If they didn't make any announcements until 1st august, then they are probably not going to support it which means Its impossible to get your BitcoinCash on their platform. You will have to export the private keys, import them into a wallet that support BCC so they are visible.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
bitcoinvest
Legendary

Activity: 1124
Merit: 1000

13eJ4feC39JzbdY2K9W3ytQzWhunsxL83X

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 10:51:59 PM

they did posted info about that here: https://blog.blockchain.com/2017/07/30/bitcoin-cash-bcc-hard-fork-means-blockchain-wallet-users/

So what your opinions? should i leave btc inside or move to local wallet??
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2017, 11:16:49 PM

they did posted info about that here: https://blog.blockchain.com/2017/07/30/bitcoin-cash-bcc-hard-fork-means-blockchain-wallet-users/

So what your opinions? should i leave btc inside or move to local wallet??

Thanks for posting that linked article. 

I have been quite anxious about the whole situation, and so, even though blockchain.info is not going to provide a chain splitter - there is going to be an ability to export to any wallet that has a chain splitter in order to get bitcoin cash - in the event that bitcoin cash has any future value. 

Surely, this decision by blockchain.info does not facilitate any kind of immediate actions with regard to coins stored on its system, because we also have the issue that transactions might be locked for a short period of time, but there also may be some reluctance of various bitcoin holders to move any coins until some of the dust might settle, while at the same time, blockchain.info is also not disabling such features that are likely held with the individual private keys, rather than with blockchain, anyhow.

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
bitcoinvest
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2017, 07:14:01 AM

so how is done? i download a wallter of bbc and import there my wallet of btc qt? and then i have both?
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2017, 07:42:28 AM

so how is done? i download a wallter of bbc and import there my wallet of btc qt? and then i have both?

I have not personally done this, but they do provide instructions:

https://support.blockchain.com/hc/en-us/articles/209564506

Also, my understanding is that once you create a wallet backup, then you can put that wallet backup on any hardware device, including a trezor or a ledger, which are supposed to have coin splitting capabilities. 

I ordered a ledger nano s (and they seem to be backordered in many places), and I am thinking that device might work for me to split my coins, perhaps at a later date, when my ledger nano s arrives? perhaps?

KenR

Activity: 910

「きみはこれ&#

View Profile
July 31, 2017, 01:09:08 PM

I'm not sure any of it relates to the blockchain.info wallet.If you have an address generated on blockchain.info,you can get your private keys from the addresses settings and import them to any other wallet providing bitcoin cash.Better yet,just send the bitcoins from your base wallet to whatever wallet that provides bcc support.

████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████
  ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████
  .WEBSITE.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  .ANN THREAD.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████
bitcoinvest
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2017, 08:01:15 PM
Last edit: July 31, 2017, 08:23:26 PM by bitcoinvest

I'm not sure any of it relates to the blockchain.info wallet.If you have an address generated on blockchain.info,you can get your private keys from the addresses settings and import them to any other wallet providing bitcoin cash.Better yet,just send the bitcoins from your base wallet to whatever wallet that provides bcc support.

you mean there are wallet that support both?
I just want to sell the bitcoin cash soon after i get them

does anyone knows an exchange to sell tonight ?

EDIT: ok i found some already will support the sale Smiley
Taya Afi

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 09:03:46 AM

Hello. What is your position regarding bitcoins cash at the moment? Will you charge bitcoin cash? How can I get bitcoin cash using your service?
dcdalex

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 04:11:06 PM

didnt receive sms from blockchain for last hour, anyone has this problems?
micky123
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 04:37:01 PM

Hello. What is your position regarding bitcoins cash at the moment? Will you charge bitcoin cash? How can I get bitcoin cash using your service?

I imported my private keys into the Electron Cash wallet and now have my BCC. Blockchain.info is not going to provide this service to their users, you have to do it manually!  

Just follow this guide and stop at the section where import happens and import it into the electron cash wallet instead of OMNI:

https://github.com/OmniLayer/omniwallet/wiki/Exporting-Private-Key-from-Blockchain.info-and-Importing-to-Omniwallet.org

evok3d

Activity: 534
Merit: 250

The Protocol for the Audience Economy

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 05:17:34 PM

Hi,

random question: A friend has been receiving $50 bitcoin payments every now and then a few times. In his blockchain wallet it shows the balance correctly, though when i we went to the address which has always remained the same for payments - as he copy and paste the same one rather than go into the app to get a new one - it shows the balance as a third of what the full amount in the wallet shows.

After looking on the block explorer i can see that some of the payments have moved to a different address after being received. So now i am concerned, because the only way to do that would be if you have the private key and secondly why does it automatically move my coins around. he just had to pay to move them all back into the same address which showed up as "transfer" rather than sent or receive. Very confused about why its like this?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

M E   D I   A
P  R -    ▄▄███████▄▄   
  ▄██████▀██████▄ 
 ███████   ███████
▐██████     ██████▌
██████▌     ▐██████
▐██████     ██████▌
 ▀██████▄ ▄██████▀
   ▀███████████▀  
      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀     
- T  O  C - O - L
MEDIA Protocol in Action
              ▄▄██████▄▄
            ▄████████████▄
           █████▌ ▀▀███████
   ▄████▄▄██████     ▀█████▌
 ▄███▀ ▀████████      ▐█████
▐███▌   ▐████████      ████▌
▐███    ██████████▄▄  ▐████
 ▀███▄▄████▀▀████████████▀
   ▀▀███▀▀     ▀▀████▀▀
   ▄▄▄████████████████▄▄▄    
 ████████████████████████▄  
▐███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀████▌ 
████████████▀▀▀        █████ 
█████████▀             █████ 
███████              ▐█████ 
█████▀               ██████ 
███▌              ▄██████ 
█████             ▄█████████ 
████▌          ▄▄██████████ 
▐████▄▄▄▄██████████████████▌ 
 ▀███████████████████████▀  
   ▀▀███████████████████▀    
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 09:06:26 PM

Hi,

random question: A friend has been receiving $50 bitcoin payments every now and then a few times. In his blockchain wallet it shows the balance correctly, though when i we went to the address which has always remained the same for payments - as he copy and paste the same one rather than go into the app to get a new one - it shows the balance as a third of what the full amount in the wallet shows.

After looking on the block explorer i can see that some of the payments have moved to a different address after being received. So now i am concerned, because the only way to do that would be if you have the private key and secondly why does it automatically move my coins around. he just had to pay to move them all back into the same address which showed up as "transfer" rather than sent or receive. Very confused about why its like this?

I am far from an expert, but I think that there is some aspect that I can attempt to clarify.

If the coins were moved around and to different addresses and to different wallets (the wallet is more important than the address because the wallet has the private keys to all of the addresses that fall under the wallet).  Anyhow, if he moved the bitcoins to various different addresses within the same wallet, then everything should be good; however, it sounds as if he may have moved the bitcoins to addresses that are controlled by different wallets.

From my understanding it doesn't matter how you are moving the bitcoins around either before or after August 1 (the time of the hardfork) as it matters where the Bitcoins were at the exact time of the hardfork.  therefore, at the exact time of the hardfork, the BCH will be affiliated with whereever the coins were at that specific time, and whether you can access the BCH or not will depend upon whether the Bitcoins were (at the exact time of the hardfork) in a location that either you had access to the private keys or some third party service that is agreeable to distributing the BCH at the time that that third party (if there is a third party) held the private keys to the at-issue Bitcoins.

To me it seems a bit unclear about whether you have provided enough information to indicate whether your "friend" had access to the private keys at the exact time of the hardfork, and to describe the difference between the addresses in which they were stored at the exact time of the hardfork, whether with a different wallet or the same wallet?

evok3d

Activity: 534
Merit: 250

The Protocol for the Audience Economy

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 09:19:06 PM

Hi,

I am far from an expert, but I think that there is some aspect that I can attempt to clarify.

If the coins were moved around and to different addresses and to different wallets (the wallet is more important than the address because the wallet has the private keys to all of the addresses that fall under the wallet).  Anyhow, if he moved the bitcoins to various different addresses within the same wallet, then everything should be good; however, it sounds as if he may have moved the bitcoins to addresses that are controlled by different wallets.

From my understanding it doesn't matter how you are moving the bitcoins around either before or after August 1 (the time of the hardfork) as it matters where the Bitcoins were at the exact time of the hardfork.  therefore, at the exact time of the hardfork, the BCH will be affiliated with whereever the coins were at that specific time, and whether you can access the BCH or not will depend upon whether the Bitcoins were (at the exact time of the hardfork) in a location that either you had access to the private keys or some third party service that is agreeable to distributing the BCH at the time that that third party (if there is a third party) held the private keys to the at-issue Bitcoins.

To me it seems a bit unclear about whether you have provided enough information to indicate whether your "friend" had access to the private keys at the exact time of the hardfork, and to describe the difference between the addresses in which they were stored at the exact time of the hardfork, whether with a different wallet or the same wallet?

Thank you for your help. I understand what you mean, with having various addresses within the same wallet. That is usually the case, though allow me to clarify:

- I am not here for Bitcoin Cash, that is a topic that i understand and can process.

- I am wondering why despite my friend being sent multiple amounts at various times to the same exact wallet address, they were moved around within the same wallet? I mean, if i send to one bitcoin address multiple times, they should all go to that address and not autoforward within the wallet to other addresses, right? or is that how the blockchain wallet works?

M E   D I   A
P  R -    ▄▄███████▄▄   
  ▄██████▀██████▄ 
 ███████   ███████
▐██████     ██████▌
██████▌     ▐██████
▐██████     ██████▌
 ▀██████▄ ▄██████▀
   ▀███████████▀  
      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀     
- T  O  C - O - L
MEDIA Protocol in Action
              ▄▄██████▄▄
            ▄████████████▄
           █████▌ ▀▀███████
   ▄████▄▄██████     ▀█████▌
 ▄███▀ ▀████████      ▐█████
▐███▌   ▐████████      ████▌
▐███    ██████████▄▄  ▐████
 ▀███▄▄████▀▀████████████▀
   ▀▀███▀▀     ▀▀████▀▀
   ▄▄▄████████████████▄▄▄    
 ████████████████████████▄  
▐███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀████▌ 
████████████▀▀▀        █████ 
█████████▀             █████ 
███████              ▐█████ 
█████▀               ██████ 
███▌              ▄██████ 
█████             ▄█████████ 
████▌          ▄▄██████████ 
▐████▄▄▄▄██████████████████▌ 
 ▀███████████████████████▀  
   ▀▀███████████████████▀    
Taya Afi

View Profile
August 08, 2017, 09:40:23 AM

Hello. Maybe you have plans for the future will support BitcoinCash (BCH)?
How to get BitcoinCash (BCH) on other services? Can I use the recovery seed (RS)? Before the fork was activated on August 1, I did not use the RS BIP39.
After fork I did not make transactions with my Bitcoins (BTC). If I now create a RS BIP39, will the recovery seed be relevant for getting BitcoinCash (BCH) on other services?
Pages: « 1 ... 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 [170] 171 172 173 »
  Print  

Jump to: