Bitcoin Forum
July 04, 2024, 02:33:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 [632] 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 ... 684 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Vertcoin - First Scrypt N | First Stealth Address - Privacy without mixer  (Read 1232527 times)
jamesl22

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 04:09:54 PM

is it true that zerovert dev is  vertcoin dev? https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=846471.0

Yes
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1115

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 04:13:03 PM

You don't have to be an expert on economics to understand what inflation is. Simply put, too many coins are being mined everyday with not enough buy support to sustain the existing new supply among the current supply. Until you have buyers (demand) for those new coins, price has no where to go but down. To ignore inflation or this very fact means you have been totally oblivious to the constant downward price action in your coin. But... if you are fine with that, continue disregarding inflation.

bitcoin, litecoin, and vertcoin are designed to have high inflation to allow early entrants in the first several years to get in at low cost, so the coin can hopefully be more widespread and effective as a currency. darkcoin (the coin you're primarily a proponent of based on your comment history) had a huge instamine, and then hard forked to change emission, so that almost 35% of the current coin supply (and almost 10% of the total coin supply) was mined in the first eight hours of the coin's life, then rewards were drastically reduced by hardfork. To be fair, vertcoin had it's own issues with instamine, likely due to poor difficulty retargeting when the hashrate was rapidly rising after the coin's release, resulting in 600k vtc being created in ~30 hours, but this is only about 5% of the current coin supply, and less than 1% of the total coin supply. vertcoin, however, didn't hardfork to reward the first day's miners (i.e., the dev(s)) with almost 35% of the current coin supply, like darkcoin did, giving themself/themselves an effective 10% premine.
oblox
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1018

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 04:20:37 PM

You don't have to be an expert on economics to understand what inflation is. Simply put, too many coins are being mined everyday with not enough buy support to sustain the existing new supply among the current supply. Until you have buyers (demand) for those new coins, price has no where to go but down. To ignore inflation or this very fact means you have been totally oblivious to the constant downward price action in your coin. But... if you are fine with that, continue disregarding inflation.

bitcoin, litecoin, and vertcoin are designed to have high inflation to allow early entrants in the first several years to get in at low cost, so the coin can hopefully be more widespread and effective as a currency. darkcoin (the coin you're primarily a proponent of based on your comment history) had a huge instamine, and then hard forked to change emission, so that almost 35% of the current coin supply (and almost 10% of the total coin supply) was mined in the first eight hours of the coin's life, then rewards were drastically reduced by hardfork. To be fair, vertcoin had it's own issues with instamine, likely due to poor difficulty retargeting when the hashrate was rapidly rising after the coin's release, resulting in 600k vtc being created in ~30 hours, but this is only about 5% of the current coin supply, and less than 1% of the total coin supply. vertcoin, however, didn't hardfork to reward the first day's miners (i.e., the dev(s)) with almost 35% of the current coin supply, like darkcoin did, giving themself/themselves an effective 10% premine.

I didn't come in talking about DRK, I am simply stating a fact that until demand can match or exceed supply, downward pricing action will prevail. Since you brought up DRK, I don't think anyone in the DRK camp is happy about the issues with the instamine but it has been beaten to death that those coins have long since been churned over 2 months of stagnant price action. If that really is your base case argument, it's a bit flawed. Further, the distribution that happened allowed for the expansive network of masternodes already available. With the continued coin supply tied directly to difficulty with a floor and yearly reduction, inflation is minimal at best.

But good luck on Vertcoin. I never came in here talking trash about it, just simply pointed out the fact that an algo change doesn't mean the price is going to change to the upside until demand matches or exceeds new supply. Basic mathematics coupled with basic economics is resulting in the situation VTC is currently in.
jamesl22

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 07:17:17 PM

Try dumping those awful memset and memcpy function implementations - I wouldn't be surprised if the AMD compiler fucks it up.

Also, dunno about Blake2b, but all versions of Blake I've seen have r increasing by one and i increasing by 2 each round... and where are the sigma lookups?

I'm not handling the miner anymore, we have more experienced people working on it. Because as you say it was "awful" Wink.
jamesl22

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 07:42:42 PM

Try dumping those awful memset and memcpy function implementations - I wouldn't be surprised if the AMD compiler fucks it up.

Also, dunno about Blake2b, but all versions of Blake I've seen have r increasing by one and i increasing by 2 each round... and where are the sigma lookups?

I'm not handling the miner anymore, we have more experienced people working on it. Because as you say it was "awful" Wink.

Oh, okay. It was, I have to say - no offense. But, I'll take a look at it if you want.

Probably wasn't a good starting OpenCL project haha. I'll let you know if we run into any problems, thanks for the offer.
jamesl22

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 08:09:43 PM

Oh, okay. It was, I have to say - no offense. But, I'll take a look at it if you want.

Probably wasn't a good starting OpenCL project haha. I'll let you know if we run into any problems, thanks for the offer.

Oh, your first OCL project? I shouldn't have been so hard on you, sorry!

Worry not, I was naive to think I could do it at this stage.
jwinterm
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 10:11:44 PM

I didn't come in talking about DRK, I am simply stating a fact that until demand can match or exceed supply, downward pricing action will prevail. Since you brought up DRK, I don't think anyone in the DRK camp is happy about the issues with the instamine but it has been beaten to death that those coins have long since been churned over 2 months of stagnant price action. If that really is your base case argument, it's a bit flawed. Further, the distribution that happened allowed for the expansive network of masternodes already available. With the continued coin supply tied directly to difficulty with a floor and yearly reduction, inflation is minimal at best.

But good luck on Vertcoin. I never came in here talking trash about it, just simply pointed out the fact that an algo change doesn't mean the price is going to change to the upside until demand matches or exceeds new supply. Basic mathematics coupled with basic economics is resulting in the situation VTC is currently in.

What part of "it's a feature not a bug" do you not understand? Tongue

Also, didn't mean to jump on you about darkcoin, I just remembered seeing you in some monero thread(s) recently "not talking trash", so I thought I'd use darkcoin as a contrasting example to vert.
oblox
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1018

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 10:26:49 PM

Also, didn't mean to jump on you about darkcoin, I just remembered seeing you in some monero thread(s) recently "not talking trash", so I thought I'd use darkcoin as a contrasting example to vert.

I'll simplify it for you: An algo change as a FEATURE (remaining ASIC resistant) isn't enough on its own to justify any price increases without further demand. Period.

As for the Monero thread, if false shit is going to be spread, it's going to be commented on. But keep going, we can dance circles if you want.
jwinterm
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2014, 10:58:46 PM

I didn't come in talking about DRK, I am simply stating a fact that until demand can match or exceed supply, downward pricing action will prevail. Since you brought up DRK, I don't think anyone in the fRK camp is happy about the issues with the instamine but it has been beaten to death that those coins have long since been churned over 2 months of stagnant price action. If that really is your base case argument, it's a bit flawed. Further, the distribution that happened allowed for the expansive network of masternodes already available. With the continued coin supply tied directly to difficulty with a floor and yearly reduction, inflation is minimal at best.

I'll simplify it for you: An algo change as a FEATURE (remaining ASIC resistant) isn't enough on its own to justify any price increases without further demand. Period.

As for the Monero thread, if false shit is going to be spread, it's going to be commented on. But keep going, we can dance circles if you want.

I meant the inflation is a feature, to keep coins cheap for several years and (hopefully) allow for broader adoption.
jk_14
Legendary

Activity: 1292
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 07:48:23 AM
Last edit: November 21, 2014, 03:14:23 PM by jk_14

Just wonder, in your opinion:
Exactly the same inflation rate - is killing Litecoin or is not?

Yes, as well as lack of innovation.

there is 3-4$ for Litecoin long period, so LTC daily inflation is at least 86 k$
there is 0.05$ for Vertcoin long period, so VTC daily inflation is about 1.5 k$ (i.e. "nothing")

Litecoin has lack of innovation and spiral of death risk - due to centralisation ("ASIC Wars" seems to be announced already)
Vertcoin is going to change old PoW for modern, best ASIC resistant PoW.

Vertcoin was born as "better Litecoin"...
- so, who knows... - there is a chance to be seriously surprised in the future... Smiley
djnocide
Legendary

Activity: 1164

Einsteinium Foundation Board Member and Treasurer

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 11:02:58 PM

Just wonder, in your opinion:
Exactly the same inflation rate - is killing Litecoin or is not?

Yes, as well as lack of innovation.

there is 3-4$ for Litecoin long period, so LTC daily inflation is at least 86 k$
there is 0.05$ for Vertcoin long period, so VTC daily inflation is about 1.5 k$ (i.e. "nothing")

Litecoin has lack of innovation and spiral of death risk - due to centralisation ("ASIC Wars" seems to be announced already)
Vertcoin is going to change old PoW for modern, best ASIC resistant PoW.

Vertcoin was born as "better Litecoin"...
- so, who knows... - there is a chance to be seriously surprised in the future... Smiley

As long as there's innovation in a coin, there's a chance for it to succeed in the future.
AizenSou

Activity: 938

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 11:16:56 PM

Yes changing the algo doesn't make you coin better. Look at Feathercoin. Everyone was hoping that changing the algo will affect the price. And the result ? A picture worths more than 10k words:
http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/feathercoin/#charts

kirdney

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 11:22:36 PM

Does anyone know when they are gonna change the algo?
jwinterm
Legendary

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 11:23:44 PM

I've been hearing mid-December lately.
kirdney

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 21, 2014, 11:29:00 PM

Thanks!!
POM

Activity: 547
Merit: 254

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 05:16:41 AM

Just showing my Vertans some love  Smiley
voephilis

Activity: 378

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 02:37:21 PM

Thanks!!

yes. mid - december seems to be final date! Smiley
djnocide
Legendary

Activity: 1164

Einsteinium Foundation Board Member and Treasurer

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 08:19:41 PM

Thanks!!

yes. mid - december seems to be final date! Smiley

Not too far away, it will happen soon Smiley
POM

Activity: 547
Merit: 254

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 02:48:59 AM

Is there a projected difficulty when the coin is available to mine on Lyra2RE? it's being forked correct?
turtoro

Activity: 364

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 10:06:49 AM

Yes changing the algo doesn't make you coin better. Look at Feathercoin. Everyone was hoping that changing the algo will affect the price. And the result ? A picture worths more than 10k words:
http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/feathercoin/#charts

FTC offers nothing new, same old same old, catering only to miners and their GPU farms doesnt work anymore, the scene has changed, VTC has better chances than FTC, because of the privacy feature.

Ummm, what exactly is Vtc then? Vtc is strictly a miners coin and thats it. It WILL not get merchant adoption to any  levels, so sx addresses are not even useful (which were useless anyway because its "anonymity lite"), but thats what everyone decided to go for back a months ago. A half measure is meaningless. Sx addresses were a neat novelty, but are absolutely useless. Stop making Vtc out to be a "privacy coin", it is simply not.

Miners coin=mine and sell. Why people are assuming an algo change is going to cause a huge spike in price is beyond me. It might stabilize at a slightly higher rate than the 0.05$ its at now, but not by much. And if it does start to go up a few percentage points, the market will be flooded by people dumping their holding trying to find an exit.

Zerocoin should have been added to vert, Vert should have been made a full out anon coin, the desicion made in the Spring to not do so was the biggest mistake in Verts existence.
Pages: « 1 ... 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 [632] 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 ... 684 »
  Print  

Jump to: