Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 08:02:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 [516] 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 ... 1832 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ★★DigiByte|极特币★★[DGB]✔ Core v6.16.5.1 - DigiShield, DigiSpeed, Segwit  (Read 3058427 times)
ycagel

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 01:35:31 AM

Haggis,
 This was my concern as well. Others on the forum said Bittrex is getting more reputable, but I just continue to see P&D coins being added and removed.

YC

Are people concerned about trading DGB at Mintpal due to the security issues? Are you suggesting more volume would be trading if there were no issues?

YC

If only we'd be on Bittrex... Mintpal's volume is going down hard.

that is because BITTREX holding all the volume Cheesy and people moving to other exchanges... We have to get DGB on POLO and BITTREX ASAP.
Overall volume at MP is decreasing. Guess MP isn't enough hip anymore as all 24/7 traders are going to bittrex which is adding new coins very quickly (too quick for my taste - every scamcoin)
rayaodi

Activity: 275
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 02:17:13 AM

more exchange is good
rayaodi

Activity: 275
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 02:36:05 AM

bittrex is a good choice
MMos

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 07:38:27 AM

up up and away Wink

piyany

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 08:40:14 AM

No cheerleading here either.

Pop up the charts.

DGB - horizontal (with spike highs as I said in my original post - pump and return to value like CryptoLTD said) from where it was trading March EOM

Do the same with the others I mentioned. Trend = price moving from upper left of the chart to the lower right.

Do the same with the coin of your choice and let me know how many you can find that are sideways (horizontal). I'd love to know.

Dealing with objective data, not subjective opinions and feelings.

It means people are not taking a loss by dumping this coin below 30 satoshi. And this is because inflation is now little and previous experience that it gets pumped once per 1-2 months Grin

Mintpal is dying, they got robbed using simple SQL injection on a vericoin hot wallet where they kept 30% of it in existence. Noone can be sure they are solvent. so much less people keep there money longer than necessary.
haggis

Activity: 984

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 08:56:45 AM

Mintpal is dying, they got robbed using simple SQL injection on a vericoin hot wallet where they kept 30% of it in existence. Noone can be sure they are solvent. so much less people keep there money longer than necessary.
That would be a real pity. Until now they were absolutely reliable. They even compensated me with 0.2BTC after a deposit never arrived. I like their user interface most and in comparison to poloniex/bittrex it performs much better on my notebook. In the case of VRC robbery they did everything to save their customers and themself.
So I see no argument why someone should switch to bittrex except if someone wants to gamble with 0-day coins  Embarrassed

For DGB Mintpal is still the exchange with the highest volume. But in case MP gets more and more unpopular we should take preventive action and try to get listed on other exchanges as well (namely Poloniex and Bittrex).
CryptoLTD

Activity: 196

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 10:05:46 AM

Not everyone is going to bittrex, I'm pretty much a cryptsy only trader.  No need to go anywhere else for me.
ycagel

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 11:35:50 AM

I started with Cryptsy, but wasn't sure on it's reliability after I heard of hack attempts on personal wallets. Maybe this is something to reconsider. Hence why a regulated exchange is the way to go!

YC

Not everyone is going to bittrex, I'm pretty much a cryptsy only trader.  No need to go anywhere else for me.
CryptoLTD

Activity: 196

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 11:41:00 AM

I started with Cryptsy, but wasn't sure on it's reliability after I heard of hack attempts on personal wallets. Maybe this is something to reconsider. Hence why a regulated exchange is the way to go!

YC

Not everyone is going to bittrex, I'm pretty much a cryptsy only trader.  No need to go anywhere else for me.

Hack attempts on personal wallets? No idea what your talking about, Cryptsy (knock on wood) has yet to have any issues, with the exception of people blaming them for poor coins, when they need to increase confirmations due to 51% as in the case with RDD. Their not some fly by night 1 or 2 person operation either & provide a plethora of features no one else does. Reward points, USD markets, Weekly prize drawings, Maker/Taker trading for verified users... for me, the choice is simple. Not to leave out the huge hardware upgrades they did last month.. YMMV.
haggis

Activity: 984

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 11:50:38 AM

YC

Not everyone is going to bittrex, I'm pretty much a cryptsy only trader.  No need to go anywhere else for me.

Hack attempts on personal wallets? No idea what your talking about, Cryptsy (knock on wood) has yet to have any issues, with the exception of people blaming them for poor coins, when they need to increase confirmations due to 51% as in the case with RDD. Their not some fly by night 1 or 2 person operation either & provide a plethora of features no one else does. Reward points, USD markets, Weekly prize drawings, Maker/Taker trading for verified users... for me, the choice is simple. Not to leave out the huge hardware upgrades they did last month.. YMMV.
I also heared multiple times about negative balances at cryptsy and a lot of following problems for the appropriate customers. Not sure whether this is true or just FUD.
RJF

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Online since '89...

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 12:59:54 PM

Mintpal is dying...

Eh, maybe, maybe not. Not many online companies that haven't been hacked, wither they care to admit  it or not, many just don't say anything. I don't think Mintpal is going away, I think they will weather the storm and come back stronger. They have too many good things going on to loose it all now. Besides, no one lost money thanks to the VRC devs, that counts for a lot. Just my opinion after 25 years in the industry...

DNotesVault
“First, they ignore you. Then, they laugh at you. Then, they fight you. Then you win!” – Mahatma Gandhi 
Prepare for your future now, check out CRISP For Retirement and our complete family of CRISP savings plans.
RJF

Online since '89...

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 01:04:23 PM

YC

I also heared multiple times about negative balances at cryptsy and a lot of following problems for the appropriate customers. Not sure whether this is true or just FUD.

Most likely FUD, people don't like to admit when they screw up, easy to blame someone else especially if that someone has deep pockets... I trade on Cryptsy, have since the beginning but, I also trade on Mintpal and intend to stay with both...

DNotesVault
“First, they ignore you. Then, they laugh at you. Then, they fight you. Then you win!” – Mahatma Gandhi 
Prepare for your future now, check out CRISP For Retirement and our complete family of CRISP savings plans.
ycagel

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 01:25:27 PM

I had another contact mentioning that there were quite a large amount of BTC they had on their wallet that was hacked into, but they were able to retrieve it back. May have to give Cryptsy another look. Was anyone able to answer the question on the withdrawal and deposit caps for USD?

Thanks,
YC

YC

RJF

Online since '89...

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 01:39:58 PM

I had another contact mentioning that there were quite a large amount of BTC they had on their wallet that was hacked into, but they were able to retrieve it back. May have to give Cryptsy another look. Was anyone able to answer the question on the withdrawal and deposit caps for USD?

I haven't withdrawn in USD yet, not sure there is a limit for verified accounts, but, I can tell you the deposit amounts:

Via electronic check, "Green" or "BillPay": Min $50.00 max $5000.00

Via Personal or Company check: Min $200.00 Max $20,000.00

They also require you to "verify" your account if you want to trade in USD. A minor pain but, I can understand it from their point of view.

DNotesVault
ycagel

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 04:02:25 PM

RJF,
 Thanks for the feedback. For the deposit of 20K, how long does that take to clear? I would assume 3-5 business days? If they do not have a withdrawal cap, that would be huge.

How detailed is the account verification? Is it documentation based or time based in terms of good standing?

YC

I haven't withdrawn in USD yet, not sure there is a limit for verified accounts, but, I can tell you the deposit amounts:

Via electronic check, "Green" or "BillPay": Min $50.00 max $5000.00

Via Personal or Company check: Min $200.00 Max $20,000.00

They also require you to "verify" your account if you want to trade in USD. A minor pain but, I can understand it from their point of view.

HR
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1011

Transparency & Integrity

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 04:12:26 PM

HR,
 Are you a miner? What do you believe will be the impact of the multi algo on DGB?

YC

I'm a miner, and long term investor (with what I mine). Unfortunately, the "long term" investment part of the picture hasn't been working out so well (unless you have been doing what the majority seem to have been doing by moving all their mining proceeds to BTC).

Hopefully that will change, and I think the multi algo approach is a move in the right direction – even if not in the short run, it still looks like the best bet to me in the long run. We need look no further than early 2014's *star* coin, DOGE, to see where immobility in the face of the advent of ASIC will get you.

That having been said, I think there's still much more to be done if one really wants to take a coin "mainstream" and achieve wide scale adoption. One of the key points I've been focusing on as of late is the necessity to avoid being "just another coin". It seems to me that most devs are caught in the 'gimmick' trap where they are concerned with partnered vendors, cute promotions, and the like. It certainly looks like everyone is putting the cart before the horse and I've come to the conclusion that the best advice I could give any developer would be to stay true to time tested business principles and center efforts on first producing a world class product and then letting the future take care of itself as the world beats a path to your door (as the old saying goes). Remember, even Ronald McDonald needed a good hamburger and fries to stay alive.

The world class product in this case would be: Coin - Wallet - Network (meaning officially sponsored P2Pools) in that order.

I also think that the playing field needs to be further ‘handicapped’ to help the small guy be more competitive - IMO this is central to the world class product itself and eventually being able to take it “mainstream".

Here's a reproduction of something on that subject that I recently posted on another thread that I’ve adapted for DGB:

-----------------------------------------o-----------------------------------------

Here’s a Radical [Not So Novel] Idea (please don’t laugh)

Would you be interested hearing an idea that could take DGB ballistic and worldwide (in the truest sense of the word)? Well, sit back and read on if you answered yes.

This is an idea that could really cause DGB to go 'viral'. Can you imagine people from all over the world automatically mining DGB on startup of their PC? What could possibly get millions of people all over the world (including the underdeveloped world) doing that?

Let’s step back for some background and start out by remembering and taking into account some of my logical anti-ASIC arguments (I haven’t been too bad with my predictions in recent months either) and then move forward going one step further by looking at the opposite end of the spectrum.

Just like at one end of the spectrum we have an ever more concentrated and centralized network in combination with price under serious pressure, at the other end we also have an authentic widely distributed network with a stable and generally rising price, and if hardware specialization leads to the first, then, the opposite, namely, hardware generalization, should logically lead to the second.

Economies of scale are generally a good thing when referring to competitive markets; the only problem exists when those markets become concentrated (centralized) in a few hands, and then economies of scale can work against the common good. We need look no further than the fiat banking system to see what eventually happens.

One of the most important ideas at the heart of the crypto ethic was the idea that decentralization was key for creating a viable 'alternative' storage of wealth that could compete with the traditional fiat system.

Have we by some chance become sidetracked with our obsessions for short term profit? What with, hey, we’ve even got a website dedicated to this extreme distraction. What’s the name? Oh, yeah, here it is, Crypto Pump of course (how could it be named anything else?). http://cryptopump.com Was this what we all had in mind when starting out with cryptocurrencies?

Decentralization is all about making something as available as possible to as many people as possible. Are we really going in the right direction to accomplish that by favoring specialized and centralized economies of scale? Okay, a large market cap would be great for PR, but how long lived would it be if it’s not built on a real foundation. Selling out to short term specialization and centralization is nothing more than assured short term gain in exchange for long term pain.

So, if centralized specialization leads to ruin, then generalization, or decentralization as it were, should lead to system health and vitality – exactly what is desired for a solid and authentic vehicle for storage of wealth. And just what do I mean by “generalization”? I’m referring to making something as “generally” available as possible, and not just in words, but in real deeds as well. It’s one thing to say that even CPUs can mine, and it’s quite another altogether to say (and make real) that they can do so competitively (and we all know that the little guy can only be competitive in a “little guy world” where the rules are fair and designed to protect the little guy, and not one where major competitors are swallowing up what little guys are still left).

Have you guessed where I’m going with this?

CPU mining that is just as profitable as GPU mining, and also with ASIC?

Had you guessed?

Yes, CPU on par with ASIC!

If you do that, if you make DGB the cryptocurrency that everyone who owns a computer could competitively mine (seriously now, everyone), you’d have millions of users all over the world configuring their DGB wallets to launch on system startup!

Okay, there are some details to work out, like having a launch on boot setting in the wallet, and, of course, the automatic mine on launch 'plug and play' coding as well.

The wallet would need pre-configured mining parameters so that the new user could mine with a simple click, either solo, or better yet, with official DGB worldwide P2Pools (worldwide really meaning worldwide with scores of active nodes all over the world).

The pre-configured, in wallet, miner would only mine using the CPU, or CPU equivalent that would be limited by a throttling mechanism that either matched the most powerful end-user CPU, or an average of the most common CPUs in active use (meaning that it would be possible to mine with a GPU miner, but never at a hashrate that exceeded the CPU throttling level per address, and never independent or outside of the wallet).

Rewards would look something like this:

Throttled Qubit CPU pre-configured wallet restricted mining = 4000 coins per block
Groestl = 450 coins per block
Skein = 450 coins per block
SHA-256 = 50 coins per block
Scrypt = 50 coins per block

And, with that, you'd put DGB on the world map as the first truly fair cryptocurrency in the world where everyone who owns a computer is looked at funny if their DGB wallet isn’t running 'in the background'.

How’s that for an idea for taking DGB mainstream?

You’re right. This would be even beyond mainstream!

Isn’t that what we really had in mind when getting involved in cryptos? Wink

-----------------------------------------o-----------------------------------------

Okay, it's not exactly a level playing field. If you look at the payout numbers closely, you'll notice how the GPU still has a very handsome advantage over CPU, and ASIC over GPU, but it is fair[er] FOR ALL since the less specialized miners would be made more competitive thereby giving them more incentive to mine (and really get emotionally attached to DGB in the process) while at the same time technological advances (R&D, innovation and capital investment) would also still be rewarded.

In short, to answer your question in no uncertain terms, I'm not sure. If you look at MYR's price over recent weeks, the market seems to be telling us that multi algo is not enough, so I wouldn't get my hopes set too high. On the other hand, like I said here yesterday, having a real face with a very positive track record behind DGB might be the difference (I may be more or less on target with this, but Jared has steered the ship without incident so far, and I would think that it’s a fairly good bet to think he will continue to do the same by listening to the community, consulting with investors, promoting at conventions, etc., and, ultimately, making the right decisions for DGB).

Gone are the days when we would just point our miners at the most profitable coin and walk away (and don’t get the wrong idea, I’m not a “farmer”, I’m just a little guy, like most – you can count my miners with the fingers of one hand). Gone are the days when you could rack up windfall ‘profits’ mining DOGE (oh, how I wish I’d sold some of those earlier on). Gone are the days when time was on our side (now we’ve all got to make some serious bets very soon – if we haven’t already – since I very much doubt the majority of cryptos will ever get off the life support they’re currently on).

Personally, after having made the rounds in a serious, direct and businesslike manner (here on BitCoinTalk, on other major forums, individual coin forums, a few mining forums, and the like – here as ‘HR’, elsewhere as someone else), my conclusion is that the crypto world is full of kids and/or scammers, neither of which is a recipe for success. Add to that a preponderance of incompetence – not that these people are incompetent per se, but that they are in way over their heads – to the point where you almost want to throw up your hands in desperation and give up on the crypto dream by throwing in the towel altogether. Some will likely blunder along picking up the rear and survive as secondary, niche coins, but the real winners will be few and far between, and I think one of them will be DGB.

And so my days of crypto-globe trotting have come to an end as I’ve made the decision that DGB is the best bet out there for both major price appreciation and long term success – as I've said, based mainly on its track record and the seriousness and integrity of its visible founder. As such, this is where I’m staying, again, not sure at all mind you, but considering all the facts that I’ve gathered these last 6 months, this is the coin that I think has the highest probability for long term success . . . and price should follow . . . if not sooner, then later. Wink

RJF

Online since '89...

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 07:09:48 PM

RJF,

Thanks for the feedback. For the deposit of 20K, how long does that take to clear? I would assume 3-5 business days? If they do not have a withdrawal cap, that would be huge.
How detailed is the account verification? Is it documentation based or time based in terms of good standing?

Normal time for a check to clear your bank if you go that route, 3 to 5 business days as you said.

As for account verification for USD, they want what is quickly becoming the norm where USD is involved; address, phone, SSN, picture of an ID (drivers license, passport, etc) and proof of address, (utility bill, bank statement, etc showing you name and address).

DNotesVault
DigiByte (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1051

Official DigiByte Account

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 07:36:13 PM

HR,

The varying block # rewards for multi algo is a great idea! We have been testing other algos including x11, NIST 5 and keccack. Just as you mentioned, we feel the absolute key to making all this fair is allowing decentralized mining for everyone, no matter how big of a budget they have. That is what brought most of us into cryptocurrencies to begin with, myself included. Received your email and am still getting around to replying by the way.

Thanks again for contributing your thoughts!

HR,
 Are you a miner? What do you believe will be the impact of the multi algo on DGB?

YC

I'm a miner, and long term investor (with what I mine). Unfortunately, the "long term" investment part of the picture hasn't been working out so well (unless you have been doing what the majority seem to have been doing by moving all their mining proceeds to BTC).

Hopefully that will change, and I think the multi algo approach is a move in the right direction – even if not in the short run, it still looks like the best bet to me in the long run. We need look no further than early 2014's *star* coin, DOGE, to see where immobility in the face of the advent of ASIC will get you.

That having been said, I think there's still much more to be done if one really wants to take a coin "mainstream" and achieve wide scale adoption. One of the key points I've been focusing on as of late is the necessity to avoid being "just another coin". It seems to me that most devs are caught in the 'gimmick' trap where they are concerned with partnered vendors, cute promotions, and the like. It certainly looks like everyone is putting the cart before the horse and I've come to the conclusion that the best advice I could give any developer would be to stay true to time tested business principles and center efforts on first producing a world class product and then letting the future take care of itself as the world beats a path to your door (as the old saying goes). Remember, even Ronald McDonald needed a good hamburger and fries to stay alive.

The world class product in this case would be: Coin - Wallet - Network (meaning officially sponsored P2Pools) in that order.

I also think that the playing field needs to be further ‘handicapped’ to help the small guy be more competitive - IMO this is central to the world class product itself and eventually being able to take it “mainstream".

Here's a reproduction of something on that subject that I recently posted on another thread that I’ve adapted for DGB:

Here’s a Radical [Not So Novel] Idea (please don’t laugh)

Would you be interested hearing an idea that could take DGB ballistic and worldwide (in the truest sense of the word)? Well, sit back and read on if you answered yes.

This is an idea that could really cause DGB to go 'viral'. Can you imagine people from all over the world automatically mining DGB on startup of their PC? What could possibly get millions of people all over the world (including the underdeveloped world) doing that?

Let’s step back for some background and start out by remembering and taking into account some of my logical anti-ASIC arguments (I haven’t been too bad with my predictions in recent months either) and then move forward going one step further by looking at the opposite end of the spectrum.

Just like at one end of the spectrum we have an ever more concentrated and centralized network in combination with price under serious pressure, at the other end we also have an authentic widely distributed network with a stable and generally rising price, and if hardware specialization leads to the first, then, the opposite, namely, hardware generalization, should logically lead to the second.

Economies of scale are generally a good thing when referring to competitive markets; the only problem exists when those markets become concentrated (centralized) in a few hands, and then economies of scale can work against the common good. We need look no further than the fiat banking system to see what eventually happens.

One of the most important ideas at the heart of the crypto ethic was the idea that decentralization was key for creating a viable 'alternative' storage of wealth that could compete with the traditional fiat system.

Have we by some chance become sidetracked with our obsessions for short term profit? What with, hey, we’ve even got a website dedicated to this extreme distraction. What’s the name? Oh, yeah, here it is, Crypto Pump of course (how could it be named anything else?). http://cryptopump.com Was this what we all had in mind when starting out with cryptocurrencies?

Decentralization is all about making something as available as possible to as many people as possible. Are we really going in the right direction to accomplish that by favoring specialized and centralized economies of scale? Okay, a large market cap would be great for PR, but how long lived would it be if it’s not built on a real foundation. Selling out to short term specialization and centralization is nothing more than assured short term gain in exchange for long term pain.

So, if centralized specialization leads to ruin, then generalization, or decentralization as it were, should lead to system health and vitality – exactly what is desired for a solid and authentic vehicle for storage of wealth. And just what do I mean by “generalization”? I’m referring to making something as “generally” available as possible, and not just in words, but in real deeds as well. It’s one thing to say that even CPUs can mine, and it’s quite another altogether to say (and make real) that they can do so competitively (and we all know that the little guy can only be competitive in a “little guy world” where the rules are fair and designed to protect the little guy, and not one where major competitors are swallowing up what little guys are still left).

Have you guessed where I’m going with this?

CPU mining that is just as profitable as GPU mining, and also with ASIC?

Had you guessed?

Yes, CPU on par with ASIC!

If you do that, if you make DGB the cryptocurrency that everyone who owns a computer could competitively mine (seriously now, everyone), you’d have millions of users all over the world configuring their DGB wallets to launch on system startup!

Okay, there are some details to work out, like having a launch on boot setting in the wallet, and, of course, the automatic mine on launch 'plug and play' coding as well.

The wallet would need pre-configured mining parameters so that the new user could mine with a simple click, either solo, or better yet, with official DGB worldwide P2Pools (worldwide really meaning worldwide with scores of active nodes all over the world).

The pre-configured, in wallet, miner would only mine using the CPU, or CPU equivalent that would be limited by a throttling mechanism that either matched the most powerful end-user CPU, or an average of the most common CPUs in active use (meaning that it would be possible to mine with a GPU miner, but never at a hashrate that exceeded the CPU throttling level per address, and never independent or outside of the wallet).

Rewards would look something like this:

Throttled Qubit CPU pre-configured wallet restricted mining = 4000 coins per block
Groestl = 450 coins per block
Skein = 450 coins per block
SHA-256 = 50 coins per block
Scrypt = 50 coins per block

And, with that, you'd put DGB on the world map as the first truly fair cryptocurrency in the world where everyone who owns a computer is looked at funny if their DGB wallet isn’t running 'in the background'.

How’s that for an idea for taking DGB mainstream?

You’re right. This would be even beyond mainstream!

Isn’t that what we really had in mind when getting involved in cryptos? Wink

Okay, it's not exactly a level playing field. If you look at the payout numbers closely, you'll notice how the GPU still has a very handsome advantage over CPU, and ASIC over GPU, but it is fair[er] FOR ALL since the less specialized miners would be made more competitive thereby giving them more incentive to mine (and really get emotionally attached to DGB in the process) while at the same time technological advances (R&D, innovation and capital investment) would also still be rewarded.

In short, to answer your question in no uncertain terms, I'm not sure. If you look at MYR's price over recent weeks, the market seems to be telling us that multi algo is not enough, so I wouldn't get my hopes set too high. On the other hand, like I said here yesterday, having a real face with a very positive track record behind DGB might be the difference (I may be more or less on target with this, but Jared has steered the ship without incident so far, and I would think that it’s a fairly good bet to think he will continue to do the same by listening to the community, consulting with investors, promoting at conventions, etc., and, ultimately, making the right decisions for DGB).

Gone are the days when we would just point our miners at the most profitable coin and walk away (and don’t get the wrong idea, I’m not a “farmer”, I’m just a little guy, like most – you can count my miners with the fingers of one hand). Gone are the days when you could rack up windfall ‘profits’ mining DOGE (oh, how I wish I’d sold some of those earlier on). Gone are the days when time was on our side (now we’ve all got to make some serious bets very soon – if we haven’t already – since I very much doubt the majority of cryptos will ever get off the life support they’re currently on).

Personally, after having made the rounds in a serious, direct and businesslike manner (here on BitCoinTalk, on other major forums, individual coin forums, a few mining forums, and the like – here as ‘HR’, elsewhere as someone else), my conclusion is that the crypto world is full of kids and/or scammers, neither of which is a recipe for success. Add to that a preponderance of incompetence – not that these people are incompetent per se, but that they are in way over their heads – to the point where you almost want to throw up your hands in desperation and give up on the crypto dream by throwing in the towel altogether. Some will likely blunder along picking up the rear and survive as secondary, niche coins, but the real winners will be few and far between, and I think one of them will be DGB.

And so my days of crypto-globe trotting have come to an end as I’ve made the decision that DGB is the best bet out there for both major price appreciation and long term success – as I've said, based mainly on its track record and the seriousness and integrity of its visible founder. As such, this is where I’m staying, again, not sure at all mind you, but considering all the facts that I’ve gathered these last 6 months, this is the coin that I think has the highest probability for long term success . . . and price should follow . . . if not sooner, then later. Wink

Kayahoga

Activity: 146

View Profile
July 21, 2014, 08:11:58 PM

In order to achieve a CPU only algorithm would it have to be extremely memory intensive to thwart asics?  I am just thinking on a technical standpoint, how would it happen. ReddCoin is going to start their Proof of Stake Velocity ( PosV ) soon which is supposed to be cpu only via having the wallet open.  I wonder how they are doing that.  What keeps Christian Buchner from creating a gpu miner for a cpu coin? 

I personally think HR has a great idea, I just don't know how to achieve it.

Just thinking out loud..

1) you would want the number of coins in the wallet to be part of the mining process / reward.  This way if someone were to use a botnet then it really wouldn't be worth it because they would have to create hundreds of wallets for very little reward. 

2)If you made something memory intensive, you could check how much system memory exists then allocate a certain percentage of it.  This way, botnets of really old machines wouldn't be as effective and the industry would have a hard time creating gpu / asics for the algorithm. 

DigiByte (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1051

Official DigiByte Account

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2014, 10:29:51 PM

In order to achieve a CPU only algorithm would it have to be extremely memory intensive to thwart asics?  I am just thinking on a technical standpoint, how would it happen. ReddCoin is going to start their Proof of Stake Velocity ( PosV ) soon which is supposed to be cpu only via having the wallet open.  I wonder how they are doing that.  What keeps Christian Buchner from creating a gpu miner for a cpu coin? 

I personally think HR has a great idea, I just don't know how to achieve it.

Just thinking out loud..

1) you would want the number of coins in the wallet to be part of the mining process / reward.  This way if someone were to use a botnet then it really wouldn't be worth it because they would have to create hundreds of wallets for very little reward. 

2)If you made something memory intensive, you could check how much system memory exists then allocate a certain percentage of it.  This way, botnets of really old machines wouldn't be as effective and the industry would have a hard time creating gpu / asics for the algorithm. 

Do you have any more info on Reddcoin's update? Also, who is Christian Buchner?

There might be algos out there that if put in the might combination might make this possible. Very thought provoking suggestions. Thank you for sharing!

Pages: « 1 ... 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 [516] 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 ... 1832 »
  Print  

Jump to: