Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 03:38:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 [203] 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 ... 7012 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DASH] Dash (dash.org) | First Self-Funding Self-Governing Crypto Currency  (Read 9722683 times)
eizh

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 10:05:14 AM

There are also fundamentals in place regarding minting which hint to the price dynamic even if one doesn't know what the chart looks like...

276.480 Maxcoins per day vs 4.475.000 MAX = +6.17% inflation per day
28800 VTC per day vs 2.000.000 VTC = +1.44% inflation per day
12000 DRK per day vs 3.430.000 DRK = +0.35% inflation per day

DRK = 17.5 times less inflation than Max
DRK = 4.1 times less inflation than VTC

...so no surprise really that their charts are the way they are.

Those graphs are market cap, not price. Inflation doesn't directly affect market cap because each coin is worth less, but there are more of them.
FL123

Activity: 95
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 10:06:16 AM

how many DRK does everyone hold?  only 110 here.

When they reach 10$ each, that will buy some nice anonymous butt plugs in the mail.
'think it will get that high?

Well in my mind they can reach 5$ easily once darksend is implemented,if the developers stick to it and reach their goals, who knows after that. The best thing would be for this bitcoin situation with MTGOX to be resolved for people to regain a feeling of trust in cryptos. You can see the reactions of people holding coins like vert, they know their coin is only marginally better than other clones out there in terms of features. They have a nice logo and some nice devs, good to have for sure but they offer nothing more than other cryptos.

Look at this post by a guy called David Seaman, holding his fair share of vertcoin and doing his part to hype it.

"Let DarkCoin take the shady creeper nicher" he says. The same shady creeper niche that bitcoin had a while ago ? Much higher ambitions? I mean come on, vert is amongst the better clones since they do take themselves seriously, but their main feature is still ASIC resistance... that does nothing for me, it's so easily implemented in various ways. In reality they see darkcoin gaining on them without even trying and are now declaring themselves to be 'clean' money for the regular people.

Here's maxcoins graph

Here's vertcoin

Pump it up enough and people dump it like any other crap.

Now look at darkcoin

It had almost no hype and when it did get a bit, it found a new floor really quickly and is continuing to grow steadily. It will get another bump soon and everytime is likely to find a higher floor unlike max and vert for example. People may really believe in vert (or max?) but in reality it feels like most of the userbase is in it for the money grab and will dump asap.

This is my opinion, not fact. Thanks.

You got it all spot on. Vertcoin is no contender for darkcoin the only real contender atm is anoncoin ;/

great graphs, I concur as well.  But I don't see anoncoin as being much of a threat if they're using a mixing service.  Maybe I don't understand how they obfuscate their transactions, but using any centralized source would make me uncomfortable.

mmm I think you are not being fair with vertcoin chart, you can also assume that dark coin and max coin are in the same first stages as vertcoin which is a month older, also that is the normal chart of every coin that enters to crypsy, combine that with the risk aversion that investors hav bc of mt gox, vert had the perfect storm.  I am early adopter in both vert and dark.
ning_aric

Activity: 826
Merit: 102

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 10:29:34 AM

i was so angry that my darkcoins have been stolen by someone, could you donate some coins for me to still grow with this coin. Cry

Xuk8K4HqEoMXH6R5weAAWo4Vnb2Z2XZuaS

thanks

ETERBASE | TRADE WITH NEGATIVE FEES
xbase ▬▬▬■▌[SIGN UP NOW]▐■▬▬▬ xbase
ANN THREAD   |    TELEGRAM    |    FACEBOOK    |    TWITTER
pjr77

Activity: 299
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 10:35:13 AM

When they reach 10$ each, that will buy some nice anonymous butt plugs in the mail.

Well in my mind they can reach 5$ easily once darksend is implemented,if the developers stick to it and reach their goals, who knows after that. The best thing would be for this bitcoin situation with MTGOX to be resolved for people to regain a feeling of trust in cryptos. You can see the reactions of people holding coins like vert, they know their coin is only marginally better than other clones out there in terms of features. They have a nice logo and some nice devs, good to have for sure but they offer nothing more than other cryptos.

Look at this post by a guy called David Seaman, holding his fair share of vertcoin and doing his part to hype it.

"Let DarkCoin take the shady creeper nicher" he says. The same shady creeper niche that bitcoin had a while ago ? Much higher ambitions? I mean come on, vert is amongst the better clones since they do take themselves seriously, but their main feature is still ASIC resistance... that does nothing for me, it's so easily implemented in various ways. In reality they see darkcoin gaining on them without even trying and are now declaring themselves to be 'clean' money for the regular people.

Here's maxcoins graph

Here's vertcoin

Now look at darkcoin

It had almost no hype and when it did get a bit, it found a new floor really quickly and is continuing to grow steadily. It will get another bump soon and everytime is likely to find a higher floor unlike max and vert for example. People may really believe in vert (or max?) but in reality it feels like most of the userbase is in it for the money grab and will dump asap.

If you look at the trading volume then you will know why they go up and down ! speculation does that not your biased comments above . If you have no one trading your coin then it is not hard to pump it or having the price going only one way Wink
darko84

Activity: 62

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 11:18:42 AM

Big DUMP on Poloniex!
ning_aric

Activity: 826
Merit: 102

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 11:27:40 AM

My coin has been stolen, so it doesn't matter with me the price up and down.

Xuk8K4HqEoMXH6R5weAAWo4Vnb2Z2XZuaS

ETERBASE | TRADE WITH NEGATIVE FEES
xbase ▬▬▬■▌[SIGN UP NOW]▐■▬▬▬ xbase
ANN THREAD   |    TELEGRAM    |    FACEBOOK    |    TWITTER
boubou

Activity: 196

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 11:29:52 AM

Here's maxcoins graph

Here's vertcoin

Now look at darkcoin

If you look at the trading volume then you will know why they go up and down ! speculation does that not your biased comments above . If you have no one trading your coin then it is not hard to pump it or having the price going only one way Wink
Nice graphs.
Have you got some graph with the price evolution too?
I don't know how to have it on the variousexchanges, except for the actual day.

BEHNZiP6UZunp41vurNaQi4r2hvgG57yzi : BdG
tabnk

Activity: 140

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 11:32:26 AM

MORE TO BUY THan !!!

Big DUMP on Poloniex!
undroid

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 11:35:21 AM

i dont believe the price will recover after that  Undecided
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 11:35:44 AM

A small “rounded” review of mine for DarkCoin features / potential issues / criticism.

You can edit it, republish it, correct points you don't like, link to it for people asking about DarkCoin etc:

1. Hashing algorithms

Unlike SHA256 and Scrypt of Bitcoin or Litecoin, DarkCoin uses 11 different hashes (blake, bmw, groestl, jh, keccak, skein, luffa, cubehash, shavite, simd, echo) that provide multiple layers of safety and added resilience against commercial ASIC solutions that may be developed in the future.

Coins which are based on different hashing functions represent a diversification option for the portfolio of Bitcoin investors and, as such, they can be considered as an alternative store of value or “insurance” if something goes wrong with BTC itself.

2. Transaction times

Darkcoin offers relatively fast transaction times at 2.5 minute block time – which is 4 times faster than Bitcoin and on par with Litecoin. At 2.5 minutes there is a relative balance of speed, blockchain bloating over the long run and protection from forking / creation of orphan blocks.

3. Difficulty algorithm and retargetting

The difficulty algorithm ensures that the difficulty escalates disproportionately with the addittion of increased hashing power. Retargetting is done after every block with Kimoto's Gravity Well. These two features combined prevent big miners from jumping in/out to mine and dump for profitability purposes for small periods of time. This combination also seems to work against mining & dumping operations in general as the coin's profitability is reduced when a lot of miners rush in. For the time being however DarkCoin is still more profitable than most other coins.

As far as price is concerned, with mining/dumping out of the equation and by making the coin less profitable than other coins when hashing power is spiking, it becomes more viable for those really interested in DarkCoin to mine something else and buy DarkCoins – elevating its price as a consequence. Less dumping and more buying is always good for the long-term price prospect.

4. CPU and GPU Mining

Currently (Feb 23 2014) there are both CPU miners and GPU miners for DarkCoin. According to what has been posted on the forum, high-end overclocked desktop i7s can get around 800+ KH/s making use of AES/AVX instructions, while high-end tuned GPUs like AMD 290 can get around 2.4 MH/s. This is a ratio of approximately 1:3 for top CPU's vs top GPUs, which is significantly better than scrypt (ratios of 1:10 to 1:15) or SHA256, making DarkCoin quite CPU-friendly.

Both CPU and GPU miner clients could be improved at the future but the ratio does not seem like it can change much higher than 1:5 even if the GPU miner is improved further (seems to have more room for acceleration).

In terms of maturity, the CPU mining client works well while the GPU miner still needs some work due to various bugs (it is in development phase / experimental).

On top of that the GPU miner is reported to run cooler and with less power than Scrypt or SHA256. It's power draw and heat output is ranging from 50-75%. This creates a more summer-friendly coin due to less heat generation. It also means that energy costs involved will be lower.

5. Coin mintage

The maximum number of coins to be issued is 84 Million coins, which is 4 times the number of Bitcoins and on par with Litecoin. With 3.5 million coins generated, there are still 80.5 million to go. However, and this is very important to understand, with the minting formula being related to the difficulty alogirthm, coin generation of these 80+ million will be a slow process that will take decades with the mining curve being significantly more steep than either Bitcoin or Litecoin. In fact, given the daily reward variability, it could take more than Bitcoin to mine all the coins, making it more future-proof for providing mining incentives to secure the network's operation – as long as the price and hashrate involved makes it profitable.

At this point of time daily inflation of DRK is at approximately 0.3% compared to 0.1% of Litecoin and the 1.5% to 6% for its closest MarketCap “competitors” (MaxCoin 6.17 % / VertCoin 1.44%). Block halving every year will also reduce the rate of mining supply. All these aspects indicate that the scarcity of DarkCoin will be a major factor in determining future price.

6. Anonymity

On top of the other features, DarkCoin has currently (Feb 2012) completed a series of alpha trials for the DarkSend technology. This allows transactions to be processed in a less transparent way so that people who use cryptocurrencies can achieve a greater degree of privacy.

DarkCoin plans to embed DarkSend along with full anonymity in the blockchain at some future point – and be the first coin to do so.

7. Possible issues and criticism

7.1 Speculation on DarkSend implementation

Speculation has been focused on whether DarkSend can deliver what it promises. Anonymous transactions are more than sending an X amount through a Z party to conceal the direct transaction as other aspects have to be controlled as well in order to remove the visible traces.

7.2 The race for anonymity

Further speculation has surrounded DarkCoin and other coins in development on who is going to be the first to cross the Anonymity line – with a few promising projects all coming around the same time.

7.3 DarkSend becoming Open Source

It has been decided that DarkSend will become opensourced once it is implemented and this could give rise to DarkCoin clones, something that could potentially affect DarkCoin price. Luckily for DarkCoin, its other features are quite advanced as well and this leaves less room for improvement for would-be clone competitors. DarkCoin is also evolving dynamically as new situations arise.

Paradoxically, the open sourcing of DarkSend will protect DarkCoin itself from attack that originates from the authorities. Even if they decide to “hunt down” DarkCoin usage, the ability of others to create DarkCoin clones will make any witch-hunt totally meaningless.

7.4 Coin distribution

Given the law of diminishing returns that is embedded in the coin minting formula, early adopters, miners and investors were able to acquire more coins than what miners and investors can now acquire with the same mining effort (fractional coin mining operation versus tens of coins) or BTCs (prices 100x up). This has been criticised as unfair for late adopters.

7.5 Balancing network mining incentives with reduced inflation and antidumping characteristics

The network will require significant hashpower to maintain its function and this can only be achieved by providing adequate mining incentive. While multipool and “whale-miner” resistance has been achieved and reduced inflation means that the coin supply will experience a a stable or upward trend in terms of value, the incentive to mine has to be there in order to secure the network. Bitcoin with daily inflation rates of less than 0.1% has solved this problem through its higher price, by remaining profitable only to ASIC miners. Litecoin with daily inflation of ~0.1% has been losing miners to other more profitable coins (reaching a 1:2 ratio to Dogecoin at some point) but, due to its market position, still has significant hashpower to support it.

DarkCoin will either maintain mining interest due to its scarcity and steeper curve of diminishing production, or it will have to provide additional mining incentive. Maybe this can come in the form of anonymity costs where users of the network might pay “extra” to ensure that their money transfers are well-circulated before arriving to their destination, with a premium being paid for the best possible privacy.

7.6 Network security

At this early stage of development, DarkCoin experiences concentrated mining of >80% which comes mainly from two pools. This presents a problem for network security and efforts to decentralize the process are ongoing with the official pool declining further registrations and more P2Pool servers coming online.

7.7 Adoption from Cryptocurrency Exchanges

It is speculated that some major cryptocurrency exchanges may not accept DarkCoin for trading due to its less transparent nature. DarkCoin has so far managed more than well despite being traded on smaller exchanges. If larger exchanges accept it then it has the potential to grow more. If larger exchanges enforce some kind of ban on it, then this potential is far bigger as there is greater attraction for what is considered banned.

7.8 Marketing

The lack of marketing / promotion and the fact that DarkCoin has been “born in the shadows” has been a point of concern for some adopters. Issues surrounding the logo, wikis, reddit presence and brand awareness have been raised and some of these are being worked on – perhaps, it is argued, not as much as they should. The marketing and aesthetics seem to have a lower priority than the functional side and this seems to be a point of differentiation between DarkCoin and other recent coins or non-innovative clone coins where self-promotion is the only real aspect that a coin community has to work on.

Yet, DarkCoin has managed to attract interest and thus exceed in market capitalization other coins with practically no marketing or “pumping” schemes. Despite the lack of adequate logos, websites, wikis etc, the attributes of the coin have made it look like a rough diamond, waiting to be polished, cut and faceted so that its full brilliance can be seen.

The fact that DarkCoin has achieved its rise without self-promoting itself, without marketing, without coins giveaway, without self-promotional fund raisers and without viral memes*, all the while being traded in a few small trading exchanges, speak volumes of its potential.

* It is possible that the Dark Knight themes, quotes etc can, perhaps, become quite “catchy” in viral propagation for all things related to DarkCoin.

7.9 Market adoption for goods and services

There are practically no merchants accepting DarkCoins right now. Most alt-coins suffer from the same problem and that is not something which is easily solved since even Bitcoin has quite limited level of acceptance. DarkCoin or other anonymous solutions might be the only coins which come close to, or exceed Bitcoin's level of acceptance because they are offering something that Bitcoin cannot offer: Privacy.

7.10 Negative publicity

A less transparent model of transaction will definitely come under attack from the establishment “control freaks” who desire to monitor every single activity of the population. This attack, which may come in the form of negative media portrayals, might be very good for the indirect promotion of DarkCoin (there is no such thing as bad PR, people say) but it may be bad for the broader cryptocurrency ecosystem which may come under scrutiny and even enforced regulation. Yet, anonymous coins must exist so that a bypass of regulation can render obsolete any attempt to regulate and control cryptocurrencies. Regulation equals centralization and decentralized systems cannot be dependent on the decisions of central / government authorities.
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 11:36:51 AM

i dont believe the price will recover after that  Undecided

Yesterday it went from 0.001 to 0.0021 within a few hours (>100% rebound).
ciocgun

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2014, 11:41:18 AM

following the economic cycle it will grow up after now, buy it if you have BTC

FL123

Activity: 95

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 11:42:37 AM

MORE TO BUY THan !!!

Big DUMP on Poloniex!

I am pretty sure those coins are stolen ones from Ddos attacks to pools, if you see the market rebalances the prices pretty quickly after the next candle stick.  Then this guy waits for the buying orders to accumulate a descent amout of BTC to do it again.  Pools of darkcoin need to protect againts these attacks then we can visit .003 etc, for the moment cheap coins!
Prabhjot Lalli

Activity: 91

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 11:44:45 AM

Are there any plans for a huge marketing campaign and press coverage?

Help out a DRK-Fella: Xvun45BghdWdyoBQX1aGGTjcD5UcQtyeP8 Thanks a lot!
Jungian
Legendary

Activity: 930
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 11:47:27 AM

Yeah, look out during next superbowl.

I think Monero (XMR) is very interesting.
https://moneroeconomy.com/faq/why-monero-matters
danonthehill

Activity: 710
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 11:49:19 AM

MORE TO BUY THan !!!

Big DUMP on Poloniex!

I am pretty sure those coins are stolen ones from Ddos attacks to pools, if you see the market rebalances the prices pretty quickly after the next candle stick.  Then this guy waits for the buying orders to accumulate a descent amout of BTC to do it again.  Pools of darkcoin need to protect againts these attacks then we can visit .003 etc, for the moment cheap coins!

Which pools were effected by the attacks?
Prabhjot Lalli

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 11:53:20 AM

You have to be kidding me right?

I don't really see why I should.

Jungian
Legendary

Activity: 930
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 11:56:09 AM

Why the hell would you want a marketing campaign for a alpha coin that we have no idea if it works yet?

Oh, yeah, so you can sell your coins to greater fool ponzi style.
Sure, look out during next super bowl.

I think Monero (XMR) is very interesting.
https://moneroeconomy.com/faq/why-monero-matters
luke997

Activity: 294

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 11:57:45 AM

Doh... I wished I had some spare BTCs to buy  Angry
Prabhjot Lalli

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 11:59:07 AM

Why the hell would you want a marketing campaign for a alpha coin that we have no idea if it works yet?

Oh, yeah, so you can sell your coins to greater fool ponzi style.
Sure, look out during next super bowl.

Lol, I never said RIGHT NOW, I said plans. Which implies that I'm talking about the future.

Pages: « 1 ... 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 [203] 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 ... 7012 »
  Print  

Jump to: