Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 03:13:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 »
  Print  
Author Topic: HashFast BabyJet users thread  (Read 68940 times)
MinorMiner

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 01:58:20 AM

For anyone that might be running a little hot, it might be worthwhile to check the water cooler/ reapply thermal paste. i was running around 84 degrees on Die 1 and just reapplied thermal paste and reseat the water cooler head. Running about 8 degrees cooler now. Disclaimer, dont do it if you  don't know what you are doing.

http://imgur.com/a/7DZqd
Is that 2nd picture your own application of thermal paste? I assume it is because it looks quite nice.

What was the original thermal paste? Was it the stock one that comes preapplied to the waterblock?

Yes the original TP is most likely what comes pre-applied with the CoolIT's from the factory. Couldn't tell you what brand that is.  You can still see some remnants around the crevices on the other components on the chip, but I neglected to take a picture of that.  I wish i had some more time to clean up and do a better job of spreading the TP, but i really wanted to get it back up and hashing so i could play with clock speeds more. (Also make money lol)

So far 81 Degrees at 670 clock. Not bad considering i used to be 84 degrees at 600 clock.  Averaging ~500GH for the last 10 minutes. Do I have the fastest baby jet so far? No one is really talking about overclocking on this thread. makes me sad as a pc overclooking guy.

Edit - started seeing lot of usb errors and hw errors. I  suggest not going this high.

Great to see under the cooler, thanks for posting the pics. I might well join you in checking the thermal paste some time. I know it did wonders for the BFL stuff going with arctic silver instead.

So how does one overclock the device? I noticed the extra options part in minepeon but I'm not sure what arguments and values need to be passed. I am curious too on the whole warranty thing. Is there some way they can 'tell' if the device is overclocked? I doubt there'd be some stateful information on the hashing board itself but I could be wrong.

All contributions gratefully received 1G6Wia22Jnpz2DUisA5EoAC6KJ7MHm6QyP
ImI
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1019

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 02:04:51 AM

For anyone that might be running a little hot, it might be worthwhile to check the water cooler/ reapply thermal paste. i was running around 84 degrees on Die 1 and just reapplied thermal paste and reseat the water cooler head. Running about 8 degrees cooler now. Disclaimer, dont do it if you  don't know what you are doing.

Is that 2nd picture your own application of thermal paste? I assume it is because it looks quite nice.

What was the original thermal paste? Was it the stock one that comes preapplied to the waterblock?

Yes the original TP is most likely what comes pre-applied with the CoolIT's from the factory. Couldn't tell you what brand that is.  You can still see some remnants around the crevices on the other components on the chip, but I neglected to take a picture of that.  I wish i had some more time to clean up and do a better job of spreading the TP, but i really wanted to get it back up and hashing so i could play with clock speeds more. (Also make money lol)

So far 81 Degrees at 670 clock. Not bad considering i used to be 84 degrees at 600 clock.  Averaging ~500GH for the last 10 minutes. Do I have the fastest baby jet so far? No one is really talking about overclocking on this thread. makes me sad as a pc overclooking guy.

Edit - started seeing lot of usb errors and hw errors. I  suggest not going this high.

Great to see under the cooler, thanks for posting the pics. I might well join you in checking the thermal paste some time. I know it did wonders for the BFL stuff going with arctic silver instead.

So how does one overclock the device? I noticed the extra options part in minepeon but I'm not sure what arguments and values need to be passed. I am curious too on the whole warranty thing. Is there some way they can 'tell' if the device is overclocked? I doubt there'd be some stateful information on the hashing board itself but I could be wrong.

warranty lasts only 14 days if i remember correct? so that shouldnt be an issue i guess.
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4116
Merit: 1635

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2014, 04:10:44 AM

The firmware is still in massive flux. I discovered that a few devices were released with work-restarts disabled because of the power draw problems it had, leading to much higher rejects than usual, especially on good old p2pool. Fortunately this has been fixed in upcoming firmware, but the ability to flash these devices and the newer firmware is not yet available. Not surprisingly things are still unfinished in the quest to get the hardware out ASAP, which I'm sure the customers prefer provided it hashes stable... I'm currently working on better thermal control which will work with the newer firmware and hopefully it will all be out soon.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
ninjarobot

Activity: 761
Merit: 500

Mine Silent, Mine Deep

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 04:40:48 AM

The firmware is still in massive flux. I discovered that a few devices were released with work-restarts disabled because of the power draw problems it had, leading to much higher rejects than usual, especially on good old p2pool. Fortunately this has been fixed in upcoming firmware, but the ability to flash these devices and the newer firmware is not yet available. Not surprisingly things are still unfinished in the quest to get the hardware out ASAP, which I'm sure the customers prefer provided it hashes stable... I'm currently working on better thermal control which will work with the newer firmware and hopefully it will all be out soon.

Thanks for your continued support ckolivas! I really hope HF is compensating you adequately for your efforts.
perezoso

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 04:49:27 AM

I've seen a PCB with a 1.1 sticker on it, and one without.  What do other Babyjets say?  

(Look about in the middle of the PCB, at the top edge below the radiator.)

And, by the way, ckolivas, has anyone ever told you that your handle reminds them of bike paths?  Cklovias would be perfect, but ckolivas is so close.  But maybe I'm just slightly dyslexic.
NiteShdw

Activity: 69

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 05:36:48 AM

I haven't been able to get mine to clock over 580.  Anything above that results in either not starting or the USB device disconnecting every few minutes.  I guess some people just lucked out with better chips.

I'm also getting periodic kernel panics, which is not good.
CurcO

Activity: 84

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 06:24:37 AM

warranty lasts only 14 days if i remember correct? so that shouldnt be an issue i guess.

I Agree we should see a bit more OC to this High End Miner since its fame of being " Designed to be underclocked for greater efficiency, and overclocked for greater performance" off the description of HF site. DIY MOD tryout...  replace the water block on the BJ for something maybe abit more OC type. Hence a Water Block from koolance  EX2-1055 (Exos-2.5) Liquid Cooling System , 1000w rated ...
NiteShdw

Activity: 69

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 06:46:12 AM

I restored my minepeon settings and it completely corrupted my miner-start.sh file. Clicking "default" in settings doesn't replace it. Can someone post the hashfast firmare miner-start.sh file?
HF-Engineer

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 11:24:52 AM

I restored my minepeon settings and it completely corrupted my miner-start.sh file. Clicking "default" in settings doesn't replace it. Can someone post the hashfast firmare miner-start.sh file?
Hi NiteShdw,

Sounds like you have an old version.

I recommend you backup your MinePeon settings (bottom of settings page), then reflash a new image onto your SD card, let it boot, then after 3 minutes or so it should have all the updates and then you can go back to the settings page and restore the backup.

Here are the instructions:
1. If running MinePeon, first make a backup from the Settings tab (near the bottom).

2. Download this SD card image: Windows: http://setup.hashfast.com/hashfast-minepeon-1.0.zip  Linux: http://setup.hashfast.com/hashfast-minepeon-1.0.img.bz2

3. If running windows, we recommend the Win32DiskImager: http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/, If running Linux, you can simply type:
Code:
bzcat hashfast-minepeon-1.0.img.bz2 | sudo dd bs=1M of=/dev/xxx
(Where /dev/xxx is the device name of your SD card.  If unsure, type "dmesg" after inserting your card.)

4. Boot RPI with the new SD image.  Note that it may take up to 2 minutes to collect current updates from us before it will begin mining.  You can browse here to see when your system comes online and what it's IP address is: http://setup.hashfast.com/.  If for some reason it doesn't come up after a few minutes, power-cycle it.  (We've seen some brands of SD card cause it to hang on reboot)

5. Log into the web interface and restore your backed up MinePeon settings (if any).  Note that the RPI will generate a new wallet when you first boot from the new SD image, and will begin mining using that wallet.  It's important to switch your mining settings using the "Pools" tab so that your mining proceeds end up in the right wallet!

6. If you have any problems, please post them here and I'll do what I can to help.  I'll try to check in here at least once a day.

-Phil
HF-Engineer

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 12:05:26 PM

Ok guys, I just pushed you Ckolivas' latest update; 3.12.0hf3 (with the RPI reliability patch).  Everyone should have it within the next hour.

We still have the strange hashrate reporting, but hopefully this will speed your rigs back up to were they were with 3.9.0, so let me know what you're seeing.

I also left 3.11 and put back 3.9 there too, and made a symlink so it's easy to switch versions back if you want to play with it.

No other changes.

-Phil
HF-Engineer

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 12:21:08 PM

FYI, We are using the Arctic MX-2 paste.  Our cooler heads arrive with no paste, just bare copper, as we ordered them that way.  During development, I personally did a compare with a bunch of pastes, including the Noctua NT-H1 and the Xigmatek PTI-G4512.  We also experimented with special exotic indium foil.  I found that among the higher grade pastes, there was little difference.  There was a noticeable difference from the stuff they normally pre-apply on the Cool-IT heads, which is one reason why we didn't use that.

What does make a difference is the right pressure, so we modified the mounting to achieve a more even and consistent pressure.  It's important that the screws be tightened all the way down until the shoulders stop.  You can easily verify this by backing them off 1/4 turn and re-tightening them.  When it stops, don't force it.

The reason I am bringing this up, is that some people had screws work lose during shipping, so it's a good idea to check this if you are having uneven temps or overheating.  BE SURE TO TURN OFF THE PSU FIRST, but I recommend leaving it plugged into the wall so there is a ground path.  This will allow draining of any possible static charge that could damage your rig.  Do not attempt this unless you are comfortable working inside electronic equipment!  I also don't recommend you mess with it if it's working well.

DO NOT ever remove the cooler head, as you will need to re-apply paste first!

-Phil

HF-Engineer

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 12:27:59 PM

I Agree we should see a bit more OC to this High End Miner since its fame of being " Designed to be underclocked for greater efficiency, and overclocked for greater performance" off the description of HF site. DIY MOD tryout...  replace the water block on the BJ for something maybe abit more OC type. Hence a Water Block from koolance  EX2-1055 (Exos-2.5) Liquid Cooling System , 1000w rated ...
We are doing the best we can to improve the firmware.  One of the features we want to give you as soon as we can, is per-die speed control.  I can't promise it will give you more speed, but I'm hopeful it will help.

Engineering-wise, I can tell you with certainty that cooling it down more will NOT make it run better.  The only reason you'd want more cooling is if it's running too hot.  If it's going over 90C, then you can worry.  It will shutdown at 105C.

I've found almost without fail, the silicon likes to be warmer.  You'll see this by increased errors when you first bring it up and it's still "cold".  Once it gets around 70C it seems to get happy and the errors usually fall off.

-Phil

freddyfarnsworth

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 12:48:43 PM

Also get a couple High Quality SD cards image them as spares, other threads here have found many many bad corrupted SD cards on PI's seems PI likes to eat them on improper shutdown.
Might be your issue also.

BTC: 1F1X9dN2PRortYaDkq89YJDbQ72i3F5N3h MEOW: KAbvy9jrrajvN5WLo7RWBsYqYfJKyN9WLf DOGE: DAyKSrTiVeRZaReTu1Cyf5Je6qPdKTuKKE
jspielberg

Activity: 490
Merit: 255

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 03:36:24 PM
Last edit: February 01, 2014, 03:48:02 PM by jspielberg

I guess this is probably a question for Phil... but anyone feel free to jump in.

I am preparing for the MPP (yeah, I know premature), and saw that newegg is running a sale on the H100i for $95.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181032

Anyone know if there is any difference between the Corsair H100i, and the RACK DCLC?
The coolers in the BJ1 look like a H100i but the head unit says CoolIT systems Rack DCLC.

Also, regarding the chips liking being a bit warmer... is 70 the sweet spot?  Should I be worried if the chips go into the low 80s?
minternj

Activity: 434

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 03:40:38 PM

We are doing the best we can to improve the firmware.  One of the features we want to give you as soon as we can, is per-die speed control.  I can't promise it will give you more speed, but I'm hopeful it will help.

Engineering-wise, I can tell you with certainty that cooling it down more will NOT make it run better.  The only reason you'd want more cooling is if it's running too hot.  If it's going over 90C, then you can worry.  It will shutdown at 105C.

I've found almost without fail, the silicon likes to be warmer.  You'll see this by increased errors when you first bring it up and it's still "cold".  Once it gets around 70C it seems to get happy and the errors usually fall off.

-Phil

I would love to have per die control. I'd assume fine tuning would help with the fluctuations i see in speed.

Warning about Nitrogensports.eu
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=709114.0
minternj

Activity: 434

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 03:43:59 PM

I am preparing for the MPP (yeah, I know premature), and saw that newegg is running a sale on the H100i for $95.

Anyone know if there is any difference between the Corsair H100i, and the RACK DCLC?

The coolers in the BJ1 look like a H100i but the head unit says CoolIT systems Rack DCLC.

They are pretty similar but not the same. The H100i is louder than the coolit. You can actually hear the pump on the h100i. I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing. Also the h100i lights up and has thicker tubing. Other than that the radiators  look the same. Cooling wise, no idea. I do have a spare h100i already, but theres really no point swapping them to test. We just need our MPP boards :/

Warning about Nitrogensports.eu
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=709114.0
jspielberg

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 03:50:14 PM

They are pretty similar but not the same. The H100i is louder than the coolit. You can actually hear the pump on the h100i. I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing. Also the h100i lights up and has thicker tubing. Other than that the radiators  look the same. Cooling wise, no idea. I do have a spare h100i already, but theres really no point swapping them to test. We just need our MPP boards :/

Thanks Minternj... looks like we are in the same boat as I have 4 on the way from newegg.
rMuD

Activity: 9

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 04:16:24 PM

Pushed Where?   I'm still rebooting every 2 minutes

Ok guys, I just pushed you Ckolivas' latest update; 3.12.0hf3 (with the RPI reliability patch).  Everyone should have it within the next hour.

We still have the strange hashrate reporting, but hopefully this will speed your rigs back up to were they were with 3.9.0, so let me know what you're seeing.

I also left 3.11 and put back 3.9 there too, and made a symlink so it's easy to switch versions back if you want to play with it.

No other changes.

-Phil
DoogieHouser

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

Bitcoin Enthusiast

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 05:01:14 PM
Last edit: February 01, 2014, 08:00:57 PM by DoogieHouser

<Sigh> More downtime due to MinePeon's inability to reboot the RPi, properly. I hope the MPP calculations include 20% downtime due to the RPi's inability to reboot properly.

cgminer 3.9 ran at 420 GH/s
cgiminer 3.11 ran at 392 GH/s
cgminer 3.12 is running at 410 GH/s

Does anybody have any lights on their BabyJets to let them know when the unit is off or on?

*** Feb 1/14 3:00 PM UPDATE: The RPi rebooted and froze four more times. I am getting tired of having to manually reboot this thing... So far, it has been running 12 minutes, which is a record since the auto-update to cgminer 3.12.

--Doogie
jspielberg

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 05:13:37 PM

<Sigh> More downtime due to MinePeon's inability to reboot the RPi, properly. I hope the MPP calculations include 20% downtime due to the RPi's inability to reboot properly.

cgminer 3.9 ran at 420 GH/s
cgiminer 3.11 ran at 392 GH/s
cgminer 3.12 is running at 410 GH/s

Does anybody have any lights on their BabyJets to let them know when the unit is off or on?

If you are comfortable with linux, I recommend using a linux box to drive the modules.  So far I haven't had any unexpected reboots using 3.12 on an old notebook I had lying around.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 »
  Print  

Jump to: