Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:57:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 [187] 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 ... 1310 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Ethereum: Welcome to the Beginning  (Read 2003816 times)
Fatman3001
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1013

Make Bitcoin glow with ENIAC

View Profile
October 20, 2015, 11:26:33 PM

Ethereum is not a payment network. Please keep that in mind when you invest in eth. There is no good reason why eth should be priced as high as it is now as long as its funtionality isn't fully implemented.

You can buy eth if you believe in the future of the platform, if you want to experiment with the network, or if you want to develop programs for it.

"I predict the Internet will soon go spectacularly supernova and in 1996 catastrophically collapse." - Robert Metcalfe, 1995

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitmoreCoin

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 05:55:21 AM

Ethereum is not a payment network. Please keep that in mind when you invest in eth. There is no good reason why eth should be priced as high as it is now as long as its funtionality isn't fully implemented.

You can buy eth if you believe in the future of the platform, if you want to experiment with the network, or if you want to develop programs for it.

I thought that Ethereum = bitcoin +smart contract network.
Fatman3001
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 07:19:29 AM
Last edit: October 21, 2015, 09:26:25 AM by Fatman3001

That sounds more like this:

Ethereum is its own network. If Bitcoin collapses tomorrow Ethereum will not be affected.

"I predict the Internet will soon go spectacularly supernova and in 1996 catastrophically collapse." - Robert Metcalfe, 1995
sammy007
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 08:31:30 AM

You can experiment in a testnet without buying anything.
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 09:06:56 AM

Ethereum is its own network. If Bitcoin collapses tomorrow Ethereum will not affected.

And vice versa.IF Ethereum collapses Bitcon will not be effected. So what is more likely to happen?
Fatman3001
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 09:25:55 AM

Ethereum is its own network. If Bitcoin collapses tomorrow Ethereum will not affected.

And vice versa.IF Ethereum collapses Bitcon will not be effected. So what is more likely to happen?

The point was simply that Ethereum is a completely separate network. It doesn't rely on the Bitcoin network in any way. It's not a pegged sidechain or similar.

Eastwind

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 10:55:25 AM

Ethereum is its own network. If Bitcoin collapses tomorrow Ethereum will not be affected.

So the functions of Ethereum can be replaced by Bitcoin. We have to make Ethereum big and attract more user base. However, it is still smaller than bitcoin at the moment.

If the developers stop dumping, the price might rise and attract new users.
Ballache

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 11:03:53 AM

obvious price dump before major pump is obvious
Fatman3001
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 11:08:02 AM

So the functions of Ethereum can be replaced by Bitcoin. We have to make Ethereum big and attract more user base. However, it is still smaller than bitcoin at the moment.

If the developers stop dumping, the price might rise and attract new users.

If you need ethereum, then the price is far from unreasonable. But I wouldn't put anything of value on the network as it is. It needs to mature. The user base should come when(if) the mist browser is available to ordinary users. The biggest problem at the moment is that the devs held too much of their funds in a volatile asset that just happened to take a nosedive.

TrueAnon
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 01:03:55 PM

Watching ETH on polo is fun lol, bots going non stop with big btc support at like 156k or whatever it was I noticed...then also someone holding down the buys with 7btc for sells lol.  Manipulation much?
Blazin8888

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 06:14:43 PM

ETH will fall to 1 cent. Poor investors...Poor ETH.
Project is close to bankrupt now. Ethereum is brilliant and probably every bit as revolutionary as Dash, albeit with a different niche. It's really sad to see that it's almost back down to the presale price ($0.42 right now; presale price was about $0.30). The have just suffered so severely from mismanagement and delays that it's going to take awhile for confidence to recover--if they don't run out of money first.

Vitalik is a true genius in every sense of the word, but he's far too naive and inexperienced to run a business or manage others, IMO. Under his leadership, Ethereum lost $9 million (half of its original funding) by not selling its bitcoin holding at higher prices.  Vitalik has said that he was afraid if he sold too quickly and damaged the bitcoin price, that bitcoiners would hate him. He literally lost $9 million because he was afraid some people wouldn't like him!!! (With a daily volume in excess of $10 million per day, there's no reason the Ethereum Foundation couldn't have unloaded $18 million worth in 2-3 months with minimal impact on the price. They would have lost some, as the price was trending downwards the whole time, but they wouldn't have lost nearly as much.)

Not only was the endowment severely mismanaged, but the project was overly-ambitious and fraught with delays from the beginning. According to what I've read on their reddit, developers would barely talk to each other for the longest time, and there was no sort of project management structure in place. Instead of focusing on getting one implementation coded and out the door, they divided their resources amongst three different implementations. While this reaped rewards in terms of security and helped them stop a number of bugs from being released into the wild, it also drained their resources three times as fast and led to innumerable delays.

Originally Ethereum was expected to be developed in less than a year; in reality they missed several self-imposed deadlines (including the infamous "March 20") and finally launched at the very end of June (2015), almost eighteen months after beginning their project. The ether awards Vitalik promised to early contributors were based on his expectation that the project would take less than a year to launch, so in the end, those who left early ended up getting "paid" a disproportionately high amount.

Ethereum lost it's CEO (Charles Hoskinson) and it's CCO (Stephen Tual) left after the overpaying early contributers debacle. Vitalik only recently relinquished one of this seats on the Foundation Board, but up until a few months ago he held enough votes to veto anything that the rest of the board proposed.

Now with the declining value of ether, added to the overpayment of early contributors and their losses on bitcoin depreciation, the entire project is in peril. They are very, very close to insolvent--so much so that Vitalik posted on the Ethereum Blog that they would only be able to work on the core protocol and that all "middleware" would have to be developed by the community itself.

I have a sinking feeling that they will go bankrupt very soon, which is tragic. With all the delays in the initial "Frontier" beta release, I doubt they will make it to "Homestead" (the middle phase), and almost certainly not to "Metropolis" (full release with GUI, etc.).

Genius, mismanaged, is a terrible tragedy.

***Full disclosure: I invested in the Ethereum presale and made a profit from it. I no longer hold any ether--I sold the first day because of the aforementioned management issues.
Fatman3001
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 06:55:40 PM

@Blazin8888

I still think there is a lot of potential in the ethereum project. We've seen that they've caught the attention of the Big Leagues with companies like IBM and Samsung developing new concepts around ethereum. So their decision to leave middleware to the community might be an opportunity to engage a broader set of developers; if done right. Even the Bitcoin Foundation couldn't stay afloat, and Bitcoin is far from dead. The decision to focus on core might hopefully give the network and the code time to mature enough so that this bird can fly on its own once the funding runs out.

All my respect to you for supporting this project, and good to hear that you turned a profit as well!!!

Piston Honda
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 1064

Juicin' crypto

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 08:02:56 PM

Project is close to bankrupt now. Ethereum is brilliant and probably every bit as revolutionary as Dash, albeit with a different niche. It's really sad to see that it's almost back down to the presale price ($0.42 right now; presale price was about $0.30). The have just suffered so severely from mismanagement and delays that it's going to take awhile for confidence to recover--if they don't run out of money first.

Vitalik is a true genius in every sense of the word, but he's far too naive and inexperienced to run a business or manage others, IMO. Under his leadership, Ethereum lost $9 million (half of its original funding) by not selling its bitcoin holding at higher prices.  Vitalik has said that he was afraid if he sold too quickly and damaged the bitcoin price, that bitcoiners would hate him. He literally lost $9 million because he was afraid some people wouldn't like him!!! (With a daily volume in excess of $10 million per day, there's no reason the Ethereum Foundation couldn't have unloaded $18 million worth in 2-3 months with minimal impact on the price. They would have lost some, as the price was trending downwards the whole time, but they wouldn't have lost nearly as much.)

Not only was the endowment severely mismanaged, but the project was overly-ambitious and fraught with delays from the beginning. According to what I've read on their reddit, developers would barely talk to each other for the longest time, and there was no sort of project management structure in place. Instead of focusing on getting one implementation coded and out the door, they divided their resources amongst three different implementations. While this reaped rewards in terms of security and helped them stop a number of bugs from being released into the wild, it also drained their resources three times as fast and led to innumerable delays.

Originally Ethereum was expected to be developed in less than a year; in reality they missed several self-imposed deadlines (including the infamous "March 20") and finally launched at the very end of June (2015), almost eighteen months after beginning their project. The ether awards Vitalik promised to early contributors were based on his expectation that the project would take less than a year to launch, so in the end, those who left early ended up getting "paid" a disproportionately high amount.

Ethereum lost it's CEO (Charles Hoskinson) and it's CCO (Stephen Tual) left after the overpaying early contributers debacle. Vitalik only recently relinquished one of this seats on the Foundation Board, but up until a few months ago he held enough votes to veto anything that the rest of the board proposed.

Now with the declining value of ether, added to the overpayment of early contributors and their losses on bitcoin depreciation, the entire project is in peril. They are very, very close to insolvent--so much so that Vitalik posted on the Ethereum Blog that they would only be able to work on the core protocol and that all "middleware" would have to be developed by the community itself.

I have a sinking feeling that they will go bankrupt very soon, which is tragic. With all the delays in the initial "Frontier" beta release, I doubt they will make it to "Homestead" (the middle phase), and almost certainly not to "Metropolis" (full release with GUI, etc.).

***Full disclosure: I invested in the Ethereum presale and made a profit from it. I no longer hold any ether--I sold the first day because of the aforementioned management issues.

100% agreed

there's a chance it CAN come out nicely out of this but it'll take a lot.

$ADK ~ watch & learn...
Oscilson

Activity: 434

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 08:26:35 PM

The so called Ethereum foundation can shrink its role and let community do most of the job. This will save some money.
fydel

Activity: 522

Hasta la Bitcoin siempre!

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 09:39:47 PM

Very good analysis. Thank you.

hamster
sangoku

Activity: 616
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2015, 09:45:52 PM

Don't forget

Ethereum Developer Conference DEVCON1 in London
November 9th – 13th, 2015
https://devcon.ethereum.org/

DΛSH is digital cash. Transactions are obscured in the blockchain, making them private from the wallet. You can send Dash to family or friends, or pay for goods or services, anywhere in the world. DΛSH Anonymous and Untraceable. The Perfect Digital Cash And The Best Way To Protect Your Privacy https://www.dashpay.io DΛSH is 59.5 times faster with syncing and updating  than Monero.
My DΛSH Address: XgF6sNzGHU58dn36WsC16no9FHct6nPeZD
AltcoinScamfinder

Activity: 840

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 10:06:43 PM

How are they bankrupt when they had funing for another 7 months about 1 month ago? Do you have anything but FUD to spread or should we just invest in Dash cause its so much better and not at all instamined by devs? /sarcasm

FOR RENT.
cjmoles
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1016

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2015, 03:42:13 AM

Well, all I can say is, "Keep the FUD coming fellas!" (SMILE)  I'm not a rich man so I like the low prices....more, more, more....keep the dumpers dumping and I will keep my bag open!  There's too much time, effort, and money involved for this project to fail.  Add to that all the brain power that the project has attracted, and  we can bet money it wont fail.  Maybe that will be one of the first predictions Augur will predict....hmmm???
cryptothreads

Activity: 1274

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 05:24:50 AM

Hello Ethereum!

I'm opening up a crypto only accepting t-shirt store and wanted to see if anyone wanted to come up with some Ethereum designs for shirts and I'll go ahead and make them  Grin

I'm just around , hit me up here or PM with the design you would like to see on a t-shirt! Thanks!

bitcoin and altcoins accepted ?

Correct. Bitcoin and a dozen or so altcoins. Ethereum is one of them.

So nobody here has a ETH design they would like to see on a t-shirt ?

If you come up with one you can get it free on a shirt . Thanks!
BitmoreCoin

Activity: 406

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 05:51:59 AM

If the Eth price keeps stable and even rising slowly, we will be happy and not complaining. There are too many issues with Ethereum (Foundation). It is strange that the mining difficulty has not dropped much. Most miners are mining at a loss. They still have hope.
Pages: « 1 ... 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 [187] 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 ... 1310 »
  Print  

Jump to: