Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:01:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 [224] 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 ... 1310 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Ethereum: Welcome to the Beginning  (Read 2004017 times)
almond

Activity: 407
Merit: 254

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 02:51:53 PM

Is something brewing for Ethereum? This coin have been steadily climbing upwards since it fell below 0.0019. Hopefully, 2016 will be a good year for Ethereum unlike last year where ICO holders cashed out.

ETH about to blow in 2016

That is just a speculation. Do you have any evidence or analysis to support your claim? Happy to discuss.

Here's an ETH speculation for you:
The velocity of money in ETH will increase.  In other words, the average number of times an individual eth changes hands will go up: the volume of transactions will increase faster than the available supply.  This will happen as more uses for ETH become available.  I'm looking particularly forward to Augur, myself.

All other things being equal, this can lead to a rise in ETH value......

Freedom of the press is guaranteed only to those who own one

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Chronikka

Activity: 658
Merit: 504

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 05:43:08 PM

Simple question and maybe this has been addressed someplace else, but from what I've been reading Ethereum will eventually allow anything to serve as a tradeble currency or "token" within the Ethereum ecosystem. So what is the purpose of the Ethereum currency itself (Eth)?

Say for example I'm a company and I want to issue shares. I want to do it simply with a friction-less system (i.e. instant with minimal fees) that allows me to issue or transfer shares easily, and publicly verify ownership. Based on Ethereum I can simply create shares from nothing and issue them within Ethereum. All the share holders have to do is prove they own an address which contains shares that I've created. Those shares would not exist outside of Ethereum but who cares? The point is just to have a publicly verifiable ledger that shows who owns what in my company. In this scenario I would have no need whatsoever for Eth, but I'm still using Ethereum. How would that work?

Edit - I've been thinking about it and the only thing I can think of is that Eth is what will be used to pay fees to support the entire Ethereum ecosystem. Using my previous example say there are a bunch of companies issuing shares. They have each created a token that is unique for their company. But now somebody wants to transfer some shares, which would require a small fee. Well what do you pay the fee in? tokens? Whose token? I think by providing an underlying base level currency (Eth) the developers will be able to get around this. Which would mean all fees are paid in Eth, but whats actually being transferred could be anything. Am I on the right track here?

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination"  -Albert Einstein
Fatman3001
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1013

Make Bitcoin glow with ENIAC

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 12:33:44 AM

Simple question and maybe this has been addressed someplace else, but from what I've been reading Ethereum will eventually allow anything to serve as a tradeble currency or "token" within the Ethereum ecosystem. So what is the purpose of the Ethereum currency itself (Eth)?

Say for example I'm a company and I want to issue shares. I want to do it simply with a friction-less system (i.e. instant with minimal fees) that allows me to issue or transfer shares easily, and publicly verify ownership. Based on Ethereum I can simply create shares from nothing and issue them within Ethereum. All the share holders have to do is prove they own an address which contains shares that I've created. Those shares would not exist outside of Ethereum but who cares? The point is just to have a publicly verifiable ledger that shows who owns what in my company. In this scenario I would have no need whatsoever for Eth, but I'm still using Ethereum. How would that work?

Edit - I've been thinking about it and the only thing I can think of is that Eth is what will be used to pay fees to support the entire Ethereum ecosystem. Using my previous example say there are a bunch of companies issuing shares. They have each created a token that is unique for their company. But now somebody wants to transfer some shares, which would require a small fee. Well what do you pay the fee in? tokens? Whose token? I think by providing an underlying base level currency (Eth) the developers will be able to get around this. Which would mean all fees are paid in Eth, but whats actually being transferred could be anything. Am I on the right track here?

Yup. Eth is the "fuel" to keep the network running. To do operations and pay miners. You can make your own tokens to work within this system, but it all needs to be "fueled" by eth.

PS! Before you expose anything of value to ethereum, even when it's fully up and running, you need to check if it's legally recognized by the relevant authorities. You can't normally just issue shares willy nilly (I understand it probably was just an example, but I thought I'd mention it).

"I predict the Internet will soon go spectacularly supernova and in 1996 catastrophically collapse." - Robert Metcalfe, 1995
Chronikka

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 01:34:44 AM

Yup. Eth is the "fuel" to keep the network running. To do operations and pay miners. You can make your own tokens to work within this system, but it all needs to be "fueled" by eth.

PS! Before you expose anything of value to ethereum, even when it's fully up and running, you need to check if it's legally recognized by the relevant authorities. You can't normally just issue shares willy nilly (I understand it probably was just an example, but I thought I'd mention it).

I think Ethereum is exactly the sort of of platform that will allow things like that to happen "willy nilly" (using your term cuz I liked it)

There is no central authority that controls the creation of tokens, currency, digital soap bars, whatever you want right? So I would imagine all sorts of "illegal" things will be taking place on Ethereum. By that I mean people may attempt to circumvent laws, not actually selling illegal items.

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination"  -Albert Einstein
Fatman3001
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1013

Make Bitcoin glow with ENIAC

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 01:44:23 AM
Last edit: January 09, 2016, 12:53:00 AM by Fatman3001

I think Ethereum is exactly the sort of of platform that will allow things like that to happen "willy nilly" (using your term cuz I liked it)

There is no central authority that controls the creation of tokens, currency, digital soap bars, whatever you want right? So I would imagine all sorts of "illegal" things will be taking place on Ethereum. By that I mean people may attempt to circumvent laws, not actually selling illegal items.

Sure, just don't assume that all contractual arrangements on ethereum are enforceable. If that is important to you then you need to check.

"I predict the Internet will soon go spectacularly supernova and in 1996 catastrophically collapse." - Robert Metcalfe, 1995
Blue_Panda73

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

fastdice.com The Worlds Fastest Bitcoin Dice

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2016, 09:35:49 AM

How do your regulate the share issue system and protect investors? I think for investors, safety is the most important.

loki0505

Activity: 494
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 04:05:16 PM

Great read on Coindesk regarding Ethereum:

http://www.coindesk.com/16-blockchain-tech-predictions-2016/?utm_content=buffer5491f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer
Chronikka

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 04:55:18 PM

How do your regulate the share issue system and protect investors? I think for investors, safety is the most important.

This is the point I was getting at. There is nobody to enforce any rules on how a token can be used, atleast not that I've seen. I think this will be a large avenue for abuse. Sure if I was a legitimate company or any other entity I would want to make sure everything is compliant and I'm not knowingly breaking any laws (I say knowingly because here in the US its incredibly easy to break an obscure law without even realizing) But what if I'm not a legitimate company, or just a bored scammer?

almond

Activity: 407
Merit: 254

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 01:52:36 AM

maybe I'll get a referral fee........(lol)

https://www.reddit.com/r/ethtrader/comments/3zrkfu/looking_to_buy_large_swaths_of_eth_1_million_eth/

Freedom of the press is guaranteed only to those who own one
Blue_Panda73

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

fastdice.com The Worlds Fastest Bitcoin Dice

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2016, 09:28:15 AM

This is the point I was getting at. There is nobody to enforce any rules on how a token can be used, atleast not that I've seen. I think this will be a large avenue for abuse. Sure if I was a legitimate company or any other entity I would want to make sure everything is compliant and I'm not knowingly breaking any laws (I say knowingly because here in the US its incredibly easy to break an obscure law without even realizing) But what if I'm not a legitimate company, or just a bored scammer?

So we need authority like the US SEC, which regulates the US stock market at the moment. Maybe US SEC will use blockchain or Ethereum to issue shares.

Winglessss

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 02:53:13 PM

I'm wondering if anyone has any price predictions for the coming year?  I believe BTC will double in price this year with the hashing rate halving.  I think that is a sure bet.  However I love the fact that ethereum is completely different, sounds very promising, love the world's computer tag line and everything else. 

Does the community (you guys) think the price of ETH will go above $2 USD per ETH this year?  I watched it go from nearly 50cents to $1 this past year.

Piston Honda
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 1064

Juicin' crypto

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 02:54:16 PM

maybe one pump if you're lucky.
otherwise, same old price.

$ADK ~ watch & learn...
loki0505

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 03:34:29 PM

I'm wondering if anyone has any price predictions for the coming year?  I believe BTC will double in price this year with the hashing rate halving.  I think that is a sure bet.  However I love the fact that ethereum is completely different, sounds very promising, love the world's computer tag line and everything else. 

Does the community (you guys) think the price of ETH will go above $2 USD per ETH this year?  I watched it go from nearly 50cents to $1 this past year.

just think.....the bottom is over with ....i don't see it in anyway going back down to lower than .80cents....so only way is up.  Why not invest 2-3hundred dollars now? to me that is a very very very low risk with great reward
msin
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 04:25:41 PM

Well, first of all the hashing rate isn't halving, the block reward is halving.  So understand what that is before price predicting.  If the devs deliver on half of what they say for ETH, I can see it easily at $2-3 this year.
loki0505

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 06:16:03 PM

Ethereum on Nasdaq.com today 01/07/2016:

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/microsofts-azure-blockchain-as-a-service-program-gains-momentum-cm562389
Winglessss

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 06:53:06 PM

Yeah I have about $1500 to invest this coming Feb been keeping my eye here I'm prolly gonna do like $1000 into BTC and $500 into ETH.  I'm in my 30's Live in the US and only invest in crypto.  Wall street is going down or at the very least going to convert over and start using crypto. It's going to be an exciting 2016, BTC already up 7% and China already selling 14% of there stock market in 2 days.  Should have been more but you know governments.. . . .

2016 the year of cryptocurrency gaining more mainstream attention! 
Abiky
Legendary

Activity: 3192
Merit: 1359

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 10:01:55 PM

Based on what I have read in this article, there will be good stuff coming into Ethereum in this year. Especially, Microsoft which has been using Ethereum for its Azure platform.

I like this part specifically:

So while Ethereum, which is presently capable of 25 transactions per second (TPS), is not in danger of bumping up against difficult scaling issues soon, it will be able to handle many TPS with Ethereum version 2.0 – levels comparable with the Visa and American Express networks.

Once this occurs, we can expect technology giants like IBM to use Ethereum as the backbone to their Internet of Things platforms.

If Ethereum could reach the goal of handling many TPS, I have no doubt that it will rival VISA and Mastercard very soon.  Cheesy

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
S3cco

Activity: 2036
Merit: 528

❤ Bitcoin Garden

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2016, 04:22:01 PM
Last edit: January 10, 2016, 12:56:39 AM by S3cco

Will Ethereum hit $95,000,000 in market cap in first half of 2016? Yes or no? Dare to bet in bitcoin?
https://www.betmoose.com/bet/ethereum-to-hit-95m-market-cap-before-jul-1-2016-1366?ref=scacco

Hacker, Pirate, Milf Hunter, Owner of Bitcoin Garden
loki0505

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 05:33:14 PM

not sure, but i just reloaded on a bunch of ETH this morning
loki0505

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 07:38:33 PM

ETH bout to be 1:1 with US Dollar!   Grin
Pages: « 1 ... 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 [224] 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 ... 1310 »
  Print  

Jump to: