Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 10:09:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Wallet for Android  (Read 121177 times)
roomservice

Activity: 199
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 03:52:11 PM

The app itself was gone? And you're sure you didn't uninstall it?

That's really weird.

exactly.  of course i didn't uninstall it. 

in fact, i downloaded it to try b/c you had just released the new version of BitcoinJ to it and MultiBit so i thought i'd better give it a try.

if you have any suggestions about how i could be a dummy please feel free to suggest but the whole thing is gone.  Sad

The app does make backups of the wallet. if you browse to /data/data/de.schildbach.wallet, there should be multiple copies of your wallet.  That data survives an app uninstall.

Afaik the private key of the wallet is stored into a secure folder on the phone. 3rd party software or malware can't access this folder unless you have your phone rooted.

"Tonight's the night. And it's going to happen again, and again. It has to happen. Nice night."

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 03:59:01 PM

i may have found the problem except i can't verify right now b/c my phone is on low power.

i didn't have a box checked that would allow me to download "unknown apps outside the Android Market".  this i find weird b/c despite that i was able to initially download app with blockchain and test it from Android Market.  once i checked box it asked me to reinstall over old install.  checked yes and app popped back up with 1 BTC in it.  thats when my power went dead.

so i think it will be ok.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 15, 2012, 04:07:13 PM

The app itself was gone? And you're sure you didn't uninstall it?

That's really weird.

exactly.  of course i didn't uninstall it. 

in fact, i downloaded it to try b/c you had just released the new version of BitcoinJ to it and MultiBit so i thought i'd better give it a try.

if you have any suggestions about how i could be a dummy please feel free to suggest but the whole thing is gone.  Sad

The app does make backups of the wallet. if you browse to /data/data/de.schildbach.wallet, there should be multiple copies of your wallet.  That data survives an app uninstall.

i had to go to the backup and click on it to discover the above solution.  my phone isn't rooted either.
Andreas Schildbach (OP)

Activity: 483
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 21, 2012, 04:01:42 PM

While yes, your private keys (not the whole wallet) are backed up multiple times to the quoted location, I'm afraid they won't survive app uninstall. Afaik, Android removes the complete app directory under /data/data - but I may be wrong.
2_Thumbs_Up

Activity: 323
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 26, 2012, 05:25:05 PM

I just posted some feature requests in the Bitcoin Spinner thread but since it applies to any mobile app I'll link to it here as well:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=53353.msg820451#msg820451

But anyway, I really appreciate the work both of you are putting in to your clients. And I absolutely love the design and layout of your app. Mobile apps are the way to go to promote bitcoin.

The thing that is really holding me back from using your app though, is the need to download the block chain. This particularly holds me back from promoting your app to others since I want to show people the ease of use with bitcoin and the waiting period kind of puts people of. So I'm wondering what your future plans are regarding this and if I can look forward to a future light weigth client with your design and features.
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2012, 05:29:48 PM

I just posted some feature requests in the Bitcoin Spinner thread but since it applies to any mobile app I'll link to it here as well:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=53353.msg820451#msg820451

But anyway, I really appreciate the work both of you are putting in to your clients. And I absolutely love the design and layout of your app. Mobile apps are the way to go to promote bitcoin.

The thing that is really holding me back from using your app though, is the need to download the block chain. This particularly holds me back from promoting your app to others since I want to show people the ease of use with bitcoin and the waiting period kind of puts people of. So I'm wondering what your future plans are regarding this and if I can look forward to a future light weigth client with your design and features.

The newer version of Android Wallet download the blockchain much quicker than old versions did.  In addition, I believe they are working on an even faster method but I don't know timeframe on that. If at all possible, download the blockchain over wifi, you'll get much better results.

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1078

View Profile
March 27, 2012, 05:19:59 PM

It's possible to get chain download speed up dramatically, fast enough that you won't really notice it in future. However more work is required.
payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 28, 2012, 12:03:52 AM

It's possible to get chain download speed up dramatically, fast enough that you won't really notice it in future. However more work is required.

someone's probably already thought of this and posted elsewhere, but what if you could somehow download it in reverse? start with the most recent blocks and work backwards. the further back you go, the more you can trust the recent blocks as valid.
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1078

View Profile
March 29, 2012, 03:34:25 PM

You need to process transactions in order to have a consistent wallet. And Bitcoin cannot serve the chain backwards in an efficient manner anyway.

At this point the time goes almost exclusively on:

a) Parsing the blocks
b) Writing data to disk

For (a) we plan to implement an Aho-Corasick scanner once we have a real blockchain API, which should kill off parsing time almost entirely because you'll only have to parse blocks that actually contain relevant transactions. Longer term we can push block filtering into the protocol/Satoshi client to eliminate network speed as an issue as well, but it's not really a problem today.

For (b) there are some simple optimizations we can make once the library is in charge of saving the wallet instead of the library user. Phone storage latency is poor and unpredictable. Batching writes can help a lot.

So there is a plan and it will get executed at some point. These things just take a while.
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2012, 03:08:50 PM

I've had some problems with this wallet recently. Downloading and processing the blockchain seems really slow and I get crashes all the time. I've been using this wallet for a long time and I've not had these problems before.

It connects to nodes just fine but the download seems slower and it stalls way more and I get crashes much more often. My phone otherwise has no problems and there have been no changes to my phone's software.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 06:54:00 PM

I've had some problems with this wallet recently. Downloading and processing the blockchain seems really slow and I get crashes all the time. I've been using this wallet for a long time and I've not had these problems before.

It connects to nodes just fine but the download seems slower and it stalls way more and I get crashes much more often. My phone otherwise has no problems and there have been no changes to my phone's software.

Yeah, I gave up on mine months ago and moved to BitcoinSpinner.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Technomage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2012, 08:17:41 PM

Yeah, I gave up on mine months ago and moved to BitcoinSpinner.
I've used both but it looks like I'm forced to stop using this one because it just doesn't work very well.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2012, 02:17:36 AM

Have you tried resetting the blockchain?

EIEIO:

tgmarks
Donator

Activity: 490

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 07:11:41 AM

This wallet still works great for me.  I met a guy at a coffee shop tonight and bought a pile of coins off him receiving them with this wallet.  No problems whatsoever.

imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2012, 02:04:06 PM

This wallet still works great for me.  I met a guy at a coffee shop tonight and bought a pile of coins off him receiving them with this wallet.  No problems whatsoever.

Me too.  I've got thousands of transactions on mine and it runs better now than ever before.  Earlier versions choked on the number of transactions (so much so that I refused to upgrade), but the later ones have been much better.

EIEIO:

Technomage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2012, 07:59:48 PM

I use the newest version. I've actually got some coins stuck there right now because it refused to send them. I did the reset and I am now downloading the blocks again. It will probably take a week to get it up to speed...

imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2012, 08:06:35 PM

I use the newest version. I've actually got some coins stuck there right now because it refused to send them. I did the reset and I am now downloading the blocks again. It will probably take a week to get it up to speed...

On wifi and a halfway new phone, it takes about an hour.

EIEIO:

tgmarks
Donator

Activity: 490

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 08:16:13 PM

I find it to be quite a bit quicker on my Verizon 4g LTE connection than over wifi.

Technomage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2012, 08:55:17 PM

Seriously? Smiley It has never worked that fast for me. It doesn't matter if I use wifi or 3G, it takes a long time. I've been running it now for over 24 hours and it's still 39 weeks away. It just downloads for a little while and then stalls. And stalls. And stalls. Then downloads for a little while. And stalls. And so on. It has always been like this but recently it has been much worse than before.

Meanwhile there are no problems with the connection in my phone or the phone itself, everything else works perfectly. It's a Huawei U8800 (Ideos X5) and my wifi is very high speed (100 mbps) and the 3G is 10 mbps so that is not the problem.

vuce

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 23, 2012, 08:57:34 PM

It just downloads for a little while and then stalls. It has always been like this but recently it has been much worse.
Same here, that's why I've given up on it.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  

Jump to: