Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 07:17:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Wallet for Android  (Read 121177 times)
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2014, 02:27:14 PM

What can I do?

Nothing ... if you don't have back it up from the android wallet (specific menu "security" with the line "backup wallet now"), the backup file store in the "download" folder on SDCARD0 (internal memory on v4.3 android, external memory on v4.2 or older android).

You have cleared the install (data of application), your phone have erased the wallet file with this process.

Titanium Backup, if done on a rooted phone, should back up ALL data, unless this wallet stores its private keys in some strange location.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
November 12, 2014, 08:37:24 PM

... OK, it's true, i have missed the point of the wallet backup in the memory of phone.
(be carefull, titanium backup don't store the SDCARD0). Wink
Nattekat

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 17, 2014, 10:39:44 AM

Since my own thread doesn't get much attention I'm going to ask it here:

Is there by chance any method to remove an address from my wallet? Either by modifying the backup (which I just can't decode for some reason) or in the app itself?

I have an address that receives many big transactions and it completly kills the app, yet I want to keep using the other addresses that I have if possible.
btchris

Activity: 672
Merit: 504

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2014, 11:19:18 PM
Last edit: November 23, 2014, 11:43:18 PM by btchris

Is there by chance any method to remove an address from my wallet? Either by modifying the backup (which I just can't decode for some reason) or in the app itself?

I have an address that receives many big transactions and it completly kills the app, yet I want to keep using the other addresses that I have if possible.

Assuming that the address you want to remove was created prior to version 4.0 (roughly the beginning of October), and that you're running a recent version today (3.47 or later), it is theoretically possible but would be a giant pain, not to mention fraught with peril. (If you're currently running a version older than 3.47, it's actually much easier. If the address you want to remove was created after version 4.0, it may not even be possible).

So, how important is it to keep your old addresses? Is it worth a few hours of your time? More importantly, is it worth paying somebody else for a few hours of their time to figure out and document how to do this (would involve decrypting a backup (easyish), modifying a protobuf-format wallet file (not so easy...), and re-encrypting it (easyish) so that it can be restored in the app)?

If you're an IT person and would like to try figuring it out yourself, I could give you some starting points, but like I said it won't be easy....
sed

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 23, 2014, 04:30:10 PM

Assuming that the address you want to remove was created prior to version 4.0 (roughly the beginning of October), and that you're running a recent version today (3.47 or later), it is theoretically possible but would be a giant pain, not to mention fraught with peril. (If you're currently running version 3.47 or older, it's actually much easier. If the address you want to remove was created after version 4.0, it may not even be possible).

So, how important is it to keep you old addresses? Is it worth a few hours of your time? More importantly, is it worth paying somebody else for a few hours of their time to figure out and document how to do this (would involve decrypting a backup (easyish), modifying a protobuf-format wallet file (not so easy...), and re-encrypting it (easyish) so that it can be restored in the app)?

If you're an IT person and would like to try figuring it out yourself, I could give you some starting points, but like I said it won't be easy....

I've decrypted the exported key backup files before.  The format was just a plain text format---pretty easy to modify if you wanted to do so.  I don't know if that's the protobuf thing you're talking about or not.
btchris

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2014, 11:41:29 PM

I've decrypted the exported key backup files before.  The format was just a plain text format---pretty easy to modify if you wanted to do so.  I don't know if that's the protobuf thing you're talking about or not.

The decryption part isn't too hard because you can use the fairly standard openssl command-line tool, however starting with version 3.47 the decrypted format changed from a text file containing WIF-style privkeys to a Google Protocol Buffer format. There are some advantages to the new format, and there's plenty of documentation on Google protobuf, however until someone writes some software to handle the new format, it's not particularly easy to deal with.
sed

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 06:20:31 PM

The decryption part isn't too hard because you can use the fairly standard openssl command-line tool, however starting with version 3.47 the decrypted format changed from a text file containing WIF-style privkeys to a Google Protocol Buffer format. There are some advantages to the new format, and there's plenty of documentation on Google protobuf, however until someone writes some software to handle the new format, it's not particularly easy to deal with.

Aha, that's very interesting.  Indeed I used the openssl command line tool just as you said.  I didn't realize that there was a new format.  I guess I don't play around in those backup files very often Smiley
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1074

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
December 01, 2014, 02:58:51 PM

I recently updated (ver 4.something, I think).  Now I note that android (4.4.4) thinks that all .apk files are to be handled by Bitcoin Wallet.  That is, if I download an apk, instead of getting processed by com.android.packageinstaller, it gets opened by Bitcoin Wallet which says "hey, you're about to update your wallet, provide the password".  For a moment, I thought that these were malware apks trying to steal my bitcoins, then I looked closer and realized that they were not malicious apps, only that my android system seems to (after the upgrade) pass all .apk files to bitcoin wallet for interpretation.  FWIW, I was able to install my apk files by simply opening Terminal Emulator and running 'pm install path/to/apk/file.apk', nevertheless, I'd like to fix this so that clicking apk files doesn't automatically open Bitcoin Wallet.  I note as well that I looked into the app settings and it currently shows "no defaults set" for Bitcoin Wallet.

Any advice is welcome.
m30188

Activity: 40

View Profile
February 04, 2015, 01:25:09 AM

The fee needs to be changed to 0.0001

I'm sick of my transactions taking an hour to get confirmed.
m30188

Activity: 40

View Profile
February 04, 2015, 01:55:44 AM

I'm still waiting!
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
February 04, 2015, 04:21:26 AM

I'm still waiting!

There is it already.
When you are on the send page, click on three dots at the upper right, than "Quick confirm, higher fee [ ]"

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 10:13:12 PM

Please bring back a way to generate a deposit addy and share this addy.
Although you're technically correct in preceding a payment request with "bitcoin:", it's unpractical.

EcuaMobi
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1468

https://Ecua.Mobi

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2015, 05:47:14 AM

Please bring back a way to generate a deposit addy and share this addy.
Although you're technically correct in preceding a payment request with "bitcoin:", it's unpractical.

I really need the option to create several addresses for several payers. Is it coming back?

sed

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 06:07:49 PM

I wish they would bring this back.  There was this whole thing about resuse of addresses and fungibility of bitcoin and many of the main thinkers started to say that HD wallets were going to be the future and whatnot and I think this is why andreas removed some of the address sorting functionality.
Andreas Schildbach (OP)

Activity: 483
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 03:40:20 PM

No one stops you from re-using addresses if you really want that. Just press "request coins" several times and hand these payment requests to different payers.
sed

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 01:53:08 AM

No one stops you from re-using addresses if you really want that. Just press "request coins" several times and hand these payment requests to different payers.

Yah, but it's sad that we can't label our own addresses and sort them easily by payments received.  I think this would be really helpful.  bitcoind has this "listreceivedbyaddress" if I recall correctly.
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1074

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
March 31, 2015, 08:22:19 PM

Labeling own addresses will be in the next release. You can help testing: https://plus.google.com/+AndreasSchildbach/posts/YHpkmLP9D1A

Oh cool!  I'm currently back on an old telephone using some old software while I wait for my current phone to get repaired.  As soon as I get my current phone back, I'm going to try out the latest (and I'm also glad to hear that you brought back address labelling!)
btcash

Activity: 968
Merit: 515

View Profile
May 29, 2015, 03:05:37 PM

Would be nice to prevent other people from accessing the app with a pin (not only spending).
acquafredda
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1481

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 11:45:04 AM

Can you guys tell me why this app always creates new receiving addresses even if I never used any of them?
btchris

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2015, 11:57:52 AM

Can you guys tell me why this app always creates new receiving addresses even if I never used any of them?

How would it know you've never used an address?

In other words, an address should be considered "used" as soon as you give it to someone else. There's no way to know if that someone else will spend to that address right away, or at some point in the future.

Some wallets wait for a transaction to show up in the blockchain before an address is considered used, or else require that you mark it as used manually. That's OK, but it's not as safe IMO because it requires you to track your address usage manually.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 »
  Print  

Jump to: