Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:25:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Wallet for Android  (Read 121182 times)
OneEyed
aka aurele

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2012, 12:47:11 PM

if your phone is rooted (and I would think that the intersection between people rooting their phones and people using bitcoins is not empty), another application is more likely to be able to access the wallet-protobuf content.

Why is that? To my understanding, apps would still need to expoit security bugs, and the mere existence of them is unrelated to wether you have rooted your phone or not.

Several reasons, the first one being a risk I've seen taken many times already:
  • backups made by applications such as Titanium Backup are unencrypted by default, and will contain the unencrypted private keys without the user realizing the consequences of it — moreover, Titanium Backup lets you send backup in the cloud (Google Drive, DropBox) even if they are not encrypted
  • the user is more likely to accept, by mistake, a "superuser" request made by an application (it's just a popup on the screen, unfortunately many users click on them without thinking about what it says)
  • if the phone is used for development, "adb root" followed by "adb shell" will give you a root shell on the phone, from which you can get the content

Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
burger

Activity: 195

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 09:55:08 PM

Is this patent a threat to the QR code function in Bitcoin Wallet?

http://ricrichardson.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/revised-executable-qr-code-provisional.html

Andreas Schildbach (OP)

Activity: 483
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 23, 2012, 11:18:39 PM

If Australia has something like prior art, this patent will be invalid (at least the payment part of it).
burger

View Profile
July 24, 2012, 06:54:10 AM

If Australia has something like prior art, this patent will be invalid (at least the payment part of it).

I hope so...

mohawk38

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 11:45:19 AM

If your phone is rooted, you can copy your wallet from /data/data/de.schildbach.wallet/files/wallet-protobuf

If you can't root your phone, I would need to send you a special version that has the ability to copy your wallet to your sdcard. However, this is a quite dangerous feature, as all other apps you got on your phone can steal your wallet/private keys from the sdcard easily.

Thanks Goonie, the problem is now solved.
barbarousrelic

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 25, 2012, 01:37:23 PM
Last edit: July 25, 2012, 03:31:09 PM by barbarousrelic

Why is that? To my understanding, apps would still need to expoit security bugs, and the mere existence of them is unrelated to wether you have rooted your phone or not.

Am I understanding this right - dishonest apps have the capability to steal your wallet regardless of whether or not the user has rooted the phone? Why then require the phone to be rooted to back up the wallet? It seems that this requirement has no additional safety benefit, but the negative aspect of making it harder for people to back up their wallets.

Do not waste your time debating whether Bitcoin can work. It does work.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 11:12:01 AM

Obviously the long term plan is not to require rooting to back up the wallet. Backup isn't really properly supported right now (well, backup is, clean restore is the issue).
burger

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 07:01:32 AM

Is it only me or do we always have to pay the transaction fee when sending BTC?

I sent 0.0212 BTC and couldn't send without a fee =(
Isn't it suppose to be without a fee if sending more than 0.01 BTC?

Bananington

Activity: 1372
Merit: 339

View Profile
August 16, 2012, 07:03:11 AM

I've noticed that you have to pay a fee if you are sending transactions too often. I.e. right after getting them.

▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
███████████▀▌▄▀██████████
███████▄▄███████▄▄███████
██████▄███▀▀██▀██████████
█████████▌█████████▌█████
█████████▌█████████▌█████
██████████▄███▄███▀██████
████████████████▀▀███████
███████████▀▀▀███████████
█████████████████████████
▀█████▀▀████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
Peach
BTC bitcoin
Buy and Sell
Bitcoin P2P
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████████
██████▄
▄██
█████████████████▄
▄███████
██████████████▄
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
▀███████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀

▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀
Available in
EUROPE | AFRICA
LATIN AMERICA
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄

███████▄█
███████▀
██▄▄▄▄▄░▄▄▄▄▄
████████████▀
▐███████████▌
▐███████████▌
████████████▄
██████████████
███▀███▀▀███▀
Download on the
App Store
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄

▄██▄
██████▄
█████████▄
████████████▄
███████████████
████████████▀
█████████▀
██████▀
▀██▀
GET IT ON
Google Play
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2012, 02:04:53 PM

I've noticed that you have to pay a fee if you are sending transactions too often. I.e. right after getting them.

Basically, a transaction with 1 input, 1 output and worth 1 bitcoin will take 144 confirmations (1 days worth of mining) to be sent without a fee.  If its larger in size because of multiple inputs/outputs, then it will take more confirmations.  If the transaction is less than 1 bitcoin, it will take more confirmations. 

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
2_Thumbs_Up

Activity: 323
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 07:58:15 PM

Obviously the long term plan is not to require rooting to back up the wallet. Backup isn't really properly supported right now (well, backup is, clean restore is the issue).
Long term plan should be HD wallets, no?
randomguy7

Activity: 527

View Profile
August 26, 2012, 11:09:16 AM

I just received some BTC as mined coins. There's a bug which shows the coins as fully confirmed after 6 confirmations instead of 120.
pointbiz

Activity: 437
Merit: 415

1ninja

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 03:15:05 AM

I love this Bitcoin Wallet app! It seriously needs a simple private key export. Import is not at all important.

Would it be possible to AES encrypt the keys based on a user inputted password then allow that file/text to be "shared" via the standard Android share options?

Coder of: https://www.bitaddress.org      Thread
Open Source JavaScript Client-Side Bitcoin Wallet Generator
Donations: 1NiNja1bUmhSoTXozBRBEtR8LeF9TGbZBN   PGP
VeeMiner

Activity: 752

bitcoin hodler

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 04:13:53 PM

I have the android wallet and I must say that I'm not very happy with it's performance. It works well, but when it starts to download the blocks, my whole device freezes up and I am unable to do anything for quite a while. I have an app watcher and it tells me the app will take 80-90% of a processor power for a while. I have a Samsung Galaxy S2...
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2012, 04:35:22 PM

I have the android wallet and I must say that I'm not very happy with it's performance. It works well, but when it starts to download the blocks, my whole device freezes up and I am unable to do anything for quite a while. I have an app watcher and it tells me the app will take 80-90% of a processor power for a while. I have a Samsung Galaxy S2...

Is your device mostly caught up with blocks or is it coming off a fresh start that its downloading the whole chain?

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
VeeMiner

Activity: 752

bitcoin hodler

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 08:44:22 AM

Is your device mostly caught up with blocks or is it coming off a fresh start that its downloading the whole chain?

it is mostly caught up, but downloading even half a day worth of blocks freezes the device for a minute. It's not always, but sometimes it gets very slow, or totally frozen
Andreas Schildbach (OP)

Activity: 483
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 02, 2012, 07:14:27 AM

it is mostly caught up, but downloading even half a day worth of blocks freezes the device for a minute. It's not always, but sometimes it gets very slow, or totally frozen

Can you take this issue to the bug tracker?

http://code.google.com/p/bitcoin-wallet/issues/list

barbarousrelic

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 05:38:30 PM
Last edit: September 12, 2012, 06:51:34 PM by barbarousrelic

I just tried to sell someone Bitcoin in person and Bitcoin Wallet didn't work for me.

When I open the program on my Droid 4, it say BTC 32.4something

I sent my Bitcoin Wallet 20 and 10 BTC last night. These two transactions have 94 and 99 confirmations according to blockchain.info.

But when I just tried to give 32 BTC to the person I was selling to, I write in under "Amount to Pay: 32" and an error message popped up that said (and still says) "Available for spending BTC2.83 (BTC 29.6489 waiting for confirmation)"

How can it still be waiting for confirmation on that much Bitcoin when the 20 and 10 BTC transactions in last night have 90+ confirmations?

The two transactions into my wallet last night also have full green circles on the program, which I thought indicated that they were fully confirmed.

Please help!

edit: I noticed now that it allows me to spend these bitcoins, right when they have passed 100 confirmations. Are 100 confirmations really necessary? That seems way too high - 5 or 6 are OK for the main client, why would 100 be required for Android Bitcoin Wallet?

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 05:48:45 PM

How can it still be waiting for confirmation on that much Bitcoin when the 20 and 10 BTC transactions in last night have 90+ confirmations?

Because Bitcoin Wallet for Android keeps the blockchain local to the phone, and needs to catch up to the rest of the network on it's own.  This is the primary reason that I've switched to BitcoinSpinner, which uses a divided wallet method & keeps the blockchain on the BitconSpinner server instead.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
barbarousrelic

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 06:11:38 PM

Because Bitcoin Wallet for Android keeps the blockchain local to the phone, and needs to catch up to the rest of the network on it's own.  This is the primary reason that I've switched to BitcoinSpinner, which uses a divided wallet method & keeps the blockchain on the BitconSpinner server instead.

But my Bitcoin Wallet is completely synchronized - so it should be seeing all 90+ confirmations on the bitcoins in my wallet.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  

Jump to: