Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 07:20:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Wallet for Android  (Read 121177 times)
acquafredda
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1481

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 02:15:29 PM

Can you guys tell me why this app always creates new receiving addresses even if I never used any of them?

How would it know you've never used an address?

In other words, an address should be considered "used" as soon as you give it to someone else. There's no way to know if that someone else will spend to that address right away, or at some point in the future.

Some wallets wait for a transaction to show up in the blockchain before an address is considered used, or else require that you mark it as used manually. That's OK, but it's not as safe IMO because it requires you to track your address usage manually.

I'll make myself clear:
I installed it to try it as pocket money...
Whenever I start it I find a new address even if I never used any of them...
That's strange isn't it?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
EcuaMobi
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1468

https://Ecua.Mobi

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2015, 03:09:48 PM

Can you guys tell me why this app always creates new receiving addresses even if I never used any of them?

In other words, an address should be considered "used" as soon as you give it to someone else. There's no way to know if that someone else will spend to that address right away, or at some point in the future.

Some wallets wait for a transaction to show up in the blockchain before an address is considered used, or else require that you mark it as used manually. That's OK, but it's not as safe IMO because it requires you to track your address usage manually.

I'll make myself clear:
That's strange isn't it?

From my experience it creates a new address whenever you go to 'Request coins'. That's because by doing that you are saying you will receive coins from a new transaction and therefore a new address is needed.

Are you saying it creates a new address even without  requesting coins? That would be strange indeed.

acquafredda
Legendary

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 04:02:33 PM

I'll make myself clear:
That's strange isn't it?

From my experience it creates a new address whenever you go to 'Request coins'. That's because by doing that you are saying you will receive coins from a new transaction and therefore a new address is needed.

Are you saying it creates a new address even without  requesting coins? That would be strange indeed.

Yes, that's it!
So whenever I go to request coins it creates a new receiving address.
Since I had to explore it to find my addresses I probably touched request coins several times before finding them and then I ended up adding several BTC addresses.

It sounds weird to me anyway.

Thanks man!
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1074

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 06:14:07 PM

Yes, that's it!
Since I had to explore it to find my addresses I probably touched request coins several times before finding them and then I ended up adding several BTC addresses.

Thanks man!

It also creates a new address for change each time you spend some BTC and require a change address.  But these days bitcoin wallet for android is using addresses created deterministically from a seed of tweleve ascii english words.  You can find those words in your wallet backup.  Anyway, I thought I'd just add this fact in case you didn't realize that all of those addresses you're creating can be "rediscovered" from the seed---so no worries about needing a new backup each time you make an address.
acquafredda
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 10:35:15 AM

Yes, that's it!

Thanks man!

It also creates a new address for change each time you spend some BTC and require a change address.  But these days bitcoin wallet for android is using addresses created deterministically from a seed of tweleve ascii english words.  You can find those words in your wallet backup.  Anyway, I thought I'd just add this fact in case you didn't realize that all of those addresses you're creating can be "rediscovered" from the seed---so no worries about needing a new backup each time you make an address.

Ok, I got it now. Thanks for the explanation.
2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 07:14:36 PM

To not ever reuse any address already used once is one of the prime principles of bitcoin.
If you only ever want to use the same address to receive coins, you can go to myb.tc and create a shortlink for that address.
However, as pointed out, the app also creates a new address for every changeback transaction, so that's not of much use.
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1074

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 09:38:16 PM

To not ever reuse any address already used once is one of the prime principles of bitcoin.
If you only ever want to use the same address to receive coins, you can go to myb.tc and create a shortlink for that address.
However, as pointed out, the app also creates a new address for every changeback transaction, so that's not of much use.

Right, if you really only want to use one address (including for change) you might be able to use an old version of this app.  If I recally correctly, older versions would just use the same address as change address (maybe before version 2 or something?).

It's quite onerous and you'd pay alot of fees, but another thing you can do is keep sending the change back to that address yourself, from within the app.  However, maybe if it'd actually be easier just to modify the soruce and recompile && install.
Grinder
Legendary

Activity: 1284
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 12, 2015, 10:25:08 PM

I would appreciate an option to only connect to peers on request. I pay per MB, and even though I usually have data transfer disabled it has managed to transfer 60 MB just this month.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2015, 11:04:49 PM

I would appreciate an option to only connect to peers on request. I pay per MB, and even though I usually have data transfer disabled it has managed to transfer 60 MB just this month.

A workaround for now would be to go into settings, add 127.0.0.1 (localhost aka your own device) as your trusted peer, and check "skip regular peer discovery" when you don't want the app using bandwidth. Then when you get on free WiFi, uncheck it, and let it sync blocks. I'm watching my network monitor right now and it's going through January's blocks. It stops cold when I reengage the check.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 01:20:07 PM

Right, if you really only want to use one address (including for change) you might be able to use an old version of this app.  If I recally correctly, older versions would just use the same address as change address (maybe before version 2 or something?).

It's quite onerous and you'd pay alot of fees, but another thing you can do is keep sending the change back to that address yourself, from within the app.  However, maybe if it'd actually be easier just to modify the soruce and recompile && install.

you can also plug one of your receiving addresses into myb.tc and request coins to ONLY that addresse. but then again, the app creates a new changeback address for every trx you send, you end up with a whole bunch of addresses with coins on them anyways...
Grinder
Legendary

Activity: 1284
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 09:04:04 PM

A workaround for now would be to go into settings, add 127.0.0.1 (localhost aka your own device) as your trusted peer, and check "skip regular peer discovery" when you don't want the app using bandwidth. Then when you get on free WiFi, uncheck it, and let it sync blocks. I'm watching my network monitor right now and it's going through January's blocks. It stops cold when I reengage the check.
Thanks for the tip, I'll do that.
TheButterZone
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2015, 06:09:30 PM

In the data usage preferences, disable background data. Android allows disabling either for all apps or for individual apps specifically.

Note if you open the app manually, it will still sync as this will count as "foreground".

That option only appears in Android devices that aren't WiFi-only. If you're tethering your WiFi-only device to cellular networks, using a cell-to-WiFi device like Karma Go or MiFi, connecting through a VPN, using paid hotspots that you don't own, etc... the only solution I can see is https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4384.msg11863617#msg11863617

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
TheButterZone
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2015, 07:48:50 PM

In the data usage preferences, disable background data. Android allows disabling either for all apps or for individual apps specifically.

Note if you open the app manually, it will still sync as this will count as "foreground".

That option only appears in Android devices that aren't WiFi-only. If you're tethering your WiFi-only device to cellular networks, using a cell-to-WiFi device like Karma Go or MiFi, connecting through a VPN, using paid hotspots that you don't own, etc... the only solution I can see is https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4384.msg11863617#msg11863617

In this case, use the Android Network Restrictions dialog to make your tethering Wifi network behave as if it were a mobile network.

Does not exist in Android 4.4.2, the latest firmware available for my Wi-Fi only tablet. Unless you mean Data usage>Mobile hotspots under the menu key, then you have to check each Wi-Fi network and have all background apps restricted even if you want to restrict only the high-usage one(s).

TheButterZone
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2015, 08:21:19 PM

Irregardless, you can't just set a single high-usage background app to stop being high-usage from the Wi-Fi only Android OS settings. You might want to reserve your data transfer for specific high-usage background apps and not be forced to choose between allowing all of them, or none.

TheButterZone
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2015, 08:54:30 PM

Irregardless, you can't just set a single high-usage background app to stop being high-usage from the Wi-Fi only Android OS settings.

Why not? That's what the "Restrict app background data" checkbox is for.

A checkbox that does not exist in Wi-Fi only Android 4.4.2 when selecting any app under Data usage.

Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3068

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 09:15:35 PM

Irregardless, you can't just set a single high-usage background app to stop being high-usage from the Wi-Fi only Android OS settings.

Why not? That's what the "Restrict app background data" checkbox is for.

A checkbox that does not exist in Wi-Fi only Android 4.4.2 when selecting any app under Data usage.

Depending on the tablet, you may be able to "root" it to allow the installation of a modified version of Android that lets you control background data for individual applications. It's not for the faint of heart, and it would help to establish for certain that the option you want is definitely available before you seek this out.

Vires in numeris
koinsuka

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

Zap.org - Data Feed Oracle Marketplace

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2015, 09:55:14 AM

this android application very useful for android user
but, are balance from blockchain can synchronize well, my bro?

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Zap StoreDecentralized Marketplace for Oracles ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ Token Sale October 21st ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ FacebookTwitterLinkedYouTube ■  WhitepaperReddit ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2015, 05:17:39 PM

this android application very useful for android user
but, are balance from blockchain can synchronize well, my bro?

Yes.

Sarthak

Activity: 518
Merit: 501

Error 404: there seems to be nothing here.

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 02:35:21 PM

Well, how much time does it take to confirm a transaction..its taking too long? I sent 0.002 2 times 2 hours ago and each tx carried a fee of 0.0001 BTC .. Its still unconfirmed.. Is it the problem with the wallet? Smiley thanks!

Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2015, 04:49:17 PM

Well, how much time does it take to confirm a transaction..its taking too long? I sent 0.002 2 times 2 hours ago and each tx carried a fee of 0.0001 BTC .. Its still unconfirmed.. Is it the problem with the wallet? Smiley thanks!

Most probably, not! Have you checked whether the transactions are broadcasted or not? This can happen because the number of transactions now is high and when miners sort transactions, you maybe in the long queue. Just wait!

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 »
  Print  

Jump to: