Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 10:58:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Wallet for Android  (Read 121177 times)
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2012, 12:32:28 AM

On wifi and a halfway new phone, it takes about an hour.
Seriously? Smiley It has never worked that fast for me. It doesn't matter if I use wifi or 3G, it takes a long time. I've been running it now for over 24 hours and it's still 39 weeks away. It just downloads for a little while and then stalls. And stalls. And stalls. Then downloads for a little while. And stalls. And so on. It has always been like this but recently it has been much worse than before.

Meanwhile there are no problems with the connection in my phone or the phone itself, everything else works perfectly. It's a Huawei U8800 (Ideos X5) and my wifi is very high speed (100 mbps) and the 3G is 10 mbps so that is not the problem.

I'm on the Evo 3D.  Its weird you have such a directly opposite experience from me.  I'm going to reset my blockchain now and resync and time it.

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1128

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2012, 03:44:38 AM

I use this wallet a lot.  Sometimes I will go a couple week and then turn it on to get back up to date.  It never takes me more than a few minutes to download two weeks of blockchain over the wifi.  A little longer over the air.  Samsung Galaxy 4S with all the latest firmware, etc.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 03:56:50 AM

I use this wallet a lot.  Sometimes I will go a couple week and then turn it on to get back up to date.  It never takes me more than a few minutes to download two weeks of blockchain over the wifi.  A little longer over the air.  Samsung Galaxy 4S with all the latest firmware, etc.

I can't say that I've ever has such a good experience with it.  I found that it takes many times longer than my Imac wallet.  Perhaps it's a difference in hardware, since my android is several years old now and only has a 800mhz single core.  I've also had it stall for hours on end, and even crash the entire phone resulting in a reboot.  Which all contributed to my decision to move to BitcoinSpinner, which works flawlessly on my phone, so long as I have a 3G connection.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2012, 10:34:37 AM

I can't say that I've ever has such a good experience with it.  I found that it takes many times longer than my Imac wallet.  Perhaps it's a difference in hardware, since my android is several years old now and only has a 800mhz single core.  I've also had it stall for hours on end, and even crash the entire phone resulting in a reboot.  Which all contributed to my decision to move to BitcoinSpinner, which works flawlessly on my phone, so long as I have a 3G connection.
It's probably that the hardware requirements of this wallet are really high. And I mean REALLY high. I have a 800mhz single core that is OC'd to 1ghz and I can play Death Rally smooth as silk and it's a fairly heavy and good looking game. Yet it seems that this is not enough for a Bitcoin wallet.

I'm just giving up, I imported the private key to another wallet and I'm now switching to BitcoinSpinner entirely.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2012, 03:03:21 PM

It never takes me more than a few minutes to download two weeks of blockchain over the wifi.  A little longer over the air.  Samsung Galaxy 4S with all the latest firmware, etc.

That's fast.
Anyway, those "few minutes" are the raison d'être for Paytunia (or other mobile e-wallet thin clients) on Android:
when it's time to pay, the last thing people want is having to worry about a few minutes wait.
With paytunia, payment is done in a matter of seconds.

imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2012, 04:01:08 PM

It never takes me more than a few minutes to download two weeks of blockchain over the wifi.  A little longer over the air.  Samsung Galaxy 4S with all the latest firmware, etc.

That's fast.
Anyway, those "few minutes" are the raison d'être for Paytunia (or other mobile e-wallet thin clients) on Android:
when it's time to pay, the last thing people want is having to worry about a few minutes wait.

Actually, you can have the wallet set to sync any time its on the charger, which means you never wait AND you don't have to trust some third party to provide for your thin client.

EIEIO:

Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1078

View Profile
May 24, 2012, 09:36:18 PM

The download speed can be affected by many things, such as which peers you end up connected to. Over time the reliability and speed will both improve. It's not due to lack of ideas, just lack of time.
Jouke

Activity: 426
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2012, 10:18:48 AM

This apps works great and is really fast on my 800mhz single core samsung s5690. Absolutely loving it!

Where does the app stores the wallet?

Koop en verkoop snel en veilig bitcoins via iDeal op Bitonic.nl
phelix
Legendary

Merit: 1019

View Profile
June 14, 2012, 04:29:52 PM

rumors are this client reduces/compresses the blockchain to a really small size. How large is the block chain and general footprint currently?

how is it done?
Boussac
Legendary

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2012, 11:45:31 AM

That's fast.

Actually, you can have the wallet set to sync any time its on the charger, which means you never wait AND you don't have to trust some third party to provide for your thin client.

You DO wait when you simply turn off your device (to save battery time), turn it on again later then try to make a payment.

My point is about the usability of a mobile client.
Trust is a different matter. If you do not trust anyone but yourself, well you have to trust that you will back up your keys or not lose your smartphone. You also have to trust that the wallet code itself is not malicious: unless they are programmers, people have no way of checking even an open sourced code. They have to trust someone to review the code.

Mike Hearn
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2012, 11:48:23 AM

A smartphone that is switched off is pretty useless.

At any rate, chain sync can be made much faster still, and design work for that has begun. I don't know if somebody will implement it, but Jeff sketched out a protocol upgrade that would allow for much faster syncs to mobile clients and for pending transactions sent to you to appear right away. I don't think it'll be an issue anytime soon.
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372

1davout

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2012, 11:49:49 AM

Have fun burning battery while you're downloading the satoshi dice history

Boussac
Legendary

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2012, 12:24:41 PM

A smartphone that is switched off is pretty useless.

Do you suggest a smarter strategy when battery low, no charger available, need the phone in a couple hours to make a transaction, don't need it that much right now ?

Of course, if I can update the chain without using up battery power, that's a major improvement.
I am still unconvinced that the user experience will ever be as smooth as compared to a thin client. When paying, people want the transaction done in seconds: every second counts.

Mike Hearn
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2012, 02:03:34 PM

To send money you don't need the latest chain, unless you're sharing keys between wallets and might risk creating a double spend (so don't do that). In fact you don't even need internet access. You can start Bitcoin Wallet and send the raw transaction via NFC directly to another phone. Bluetooth and QRcodes are also possible.

To receive (confirmed) money, you need to sync. Downloading and parsing data is cheap - modern ARM CPUs and Android JITCs are very efficient. The biggest battery suck in smartphones is the screen by far, and after that the radio. I have Bitcoin Wallet set to sync every hour in the background. I unplugged it at 8am, and at 4pm Android Wallet has used 3% of my battery. That's without any fancy optimizations as we are currently discussing. Facebook has used 14% of the battery!

On the user experience issue in general - we're here despite that Bitcoin is currently a pain to use, because it's decentralized. To make Bitcoin happen Satoshi had to solve some extremely hard technical problems and he did a fantastic job of it. To keep Bitcoin decentralized, we must follow in his footsteps and solve the difficult problems we face. I am absolutely sure we can make the mobile wallet experience both fully decentralized  (connect to the p2p network) and every bit as slick as the most centralized payment app. It isn't easy, and we aren't quite there yet, but we aren't here to solve easy problems.
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372

1davout

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2012, 02:12:50 PM

Interesting, I'm not sure about the fact that it is that important to insist on mobile devices directly speaking the bitcoin protocol, but what I'm sure is that diverse opinions and point of views are a good thing Smiley

Boussac
Legendary

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2012, 02:40:55 PM

To send money you don't need the latest chain, unless you're sharing keys between wallets and might risk creating a double spend (so don't do that). In fact you don't even need internet access.
Now I am puzzled !
To send money, I need at least one confirmed unspent transaction.
If my wallet was empty (I don't like carrying around a large amount on my mobile), I just sent a refill to it from my desktop client at home. Now I am on the go and I realize my smartphone was off: what do I do. I wait..

I know it's an edge case, but if we are aiming for mass market, it will happen a lot of times, enough times for many people to look for a thin client solution.

imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2012, 02:56:23 PM

To send money you don't need the latest chain, unless you're sharing keys between wallets and might risk creating a double spend (so don't do that). In fact you don't even need internet access.
Now I am puzzled !
To send money, I need at least one confirmed unspent transaction.
If my wallet was empty (I don't like carrying around a large amount on my mobile), I just sent a refill to it from my desktop client at home. Now I am on the go and I realize my smartphone was off: what do I do. I wait..

I know it's an edge case, but if we are aiming for mass market, it will happen a lot of times, enough times for many people to look for a thin client solution.

You can sync 8 hours of transactions in less than two minutes..  If you funded your mobile wallet that long ago, it'll be one of earlier blocks that gets synced which means you don't have to wait until its fully caught up.

If you've turned your phone off and load your email, I'm guessing you'll wait a similar amount of time for it to download 8 hours of emails/attachments fully.  Perhaps not if nobody emails you/you receive very little email.

This 'phone is off' argument is very much an edge case because I think you'll find most smartphones have a lag time when first coming back on, regardless of what you're trying to do.

EIEIO:

phelix
Legendary

Merit: 1019

View Profile
June 15, 2012, 02:57:17 PM

rumors are this client reduces/compresses the blockchain to a really small size. How large is the block chain and general footprint currently?

how is it done?

it took about 30mins for me to download the whole blockchain.

the whole application footprint seems to be about 42mb. this is very impressive - or does the blockchain go extra?
barbarousrelic

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 15, 2012, 05:40:49 PM

I like that this version of Bitcoin Wallet has a "disconnect" feature. However, I am noticing that this app Bitcoin Wallet is randomly starting up and connecting to nodes at apparently random intervals. I choose the "Disconnect" option and it disconnects, and then will randomly start up again at a later time. I am running this on a Droid 4 running Android 2.3.6.

Do not waste your time debating whether Bitcoin can work. It does work.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
imsaguy
VIP

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2012, 09:39:00 PM

I like that this version of Bitcoin Wallet has a "disconnect" feature. However, I am noticing that this app Bitcoin Wallet is randomly starting up and connecting to nodes at apparently random intervals. I choose the "Disconnect" option and it disconnects, and then will randomly start up again at a later time. I am running this on a Droid 4 running Android 2.3.6.

Is sync on charge turned on?

EIEIO:

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  

Jump to: