Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 05:50:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Wallet for Android  (Read 121177 times)
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1078

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 08:30:27 PM

The current fee should always be high enough, I think.

I think $ communicates the idea of "other currency" pretty well, even if it's not technically accurate for the currency you selected. BTW, it's also still not really obvious how to change that currency, imo. There's no visible indication you can tap the balance.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 01:39:06 PM

Is there a way to export the private key unencrypted? I need to see it, so I can import it in another client, like the desktop clients. Also, is there a way to import your own private key?

(A)social

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2013, 03:33:44 PM

Is there a way to export the private key unencrypted? I need to see it, so I can import it in another client, like the desktop clients. Also, is there a way to import your own private key?

I used Titanium Backup to import keys in MultiBit, but you need to be root.
Make a backup of Bitcoin Wallet, look for the archive
de.schildbach.wallet-SOME_DATE_HERE.tgz
open it, look for data/data/de.schildbach.wallet/./files/key-backup-base58

BTC: 1ASociaLbBZzBUR8hSw8CryajncADsR1m6 - Bitmessage: BM-orfFdAgAmtnBokTivq3vj1RtSVtXbrftM
OpenBazaar Store: https://openbazaar.com/store/QmeCThm8d5zcat7BjGw4SQeovaC5diF9s4b2yTSHWdpzmb
Andreas Schildbach (OP)

Activity: 483
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 03:36:37 PM

Moving private keys around is a discouraged use-case. There is a lot of thing that can go terribly wrong.

That said, you cannot export unencrypted because on Android there is no shared storage you can trust. But you can export encrypted and decrypt using openssl, see this readme:

http://bitcoin-wallet.googlecode.com/git/wallet/README

Importing keys is also possible.
Andreas Schildbach (OP)

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 03:38:46 PM

If you're root, you can just as well pull this file from the device directly, without taking the Titanium detour.
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 03:43:01 PM

You can decrypt it yourself... either by downloading an AES ( 256 bit ) decrypter or using one of the online ones. 

I did that to import some keys into blockchain.info/wallet that I exported from this android wallet. 
(A)social

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2013, 03:51:03 PM

If you're root, you can just as well pull this file from the device directly, without taking the Titanium detour.

I had a mess on my phone at that time (SGS and Android 2.1... bleah), it wasn't working well anymore and I needed to uninstall most of the apps to have an usable phone, fortunately I had those backups on my sd card. Smiley

BTC: 1ASociaLbBZzBUR8hSw8CryajncADsR1m6 - Bitmessage: BM-orfFdAgAmtnBokTivq3vj1RtSVtXbrftM
OpenBazaar Store: https://openbazaar.com/store/QmeCThm8d5zcat7BjGw4SQeovaC5diF9s4b2yTSHWdpzmb
Andreas Schildbach (OP)

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 04:07:37 PM

I had a mess on my phone at that time (SGS and Android 2.1... bleah), it wasn't working well anymore and I needed to uninstall most of the apps to have an usable phone, fortunately I had those backups on my sd card. Smiley

Is that backup file encrypted?

It's probably not yet relevant, but I fully expect it will be in future: Any app can read from external storage (SD card). As soon as unencrypted private keys on unprotected storage become common enough, malicious apps will read and leak them.
(A)social

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2013, 04:32:26 PM

Is that backup file encrypted?

It's probably not yet relevant, but I fully expect it will be in future: Any app can read from external storage (SD card). As soon as unencrypted private keys on unprotected storage become common enough, malicious apps will read and leak them.

It wasn't encrypted.
I'm talking about the last version of Android Wallet that still "worked" under Android 2.1, it was months ago. I didn't install almost anything anymore on that phone, and I'm not using any wallet app too. I tried to install Electrum (i liked the idea of a phone/PC synced wallet) on a new Android phone, not rooted, but without luck.

Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 02:49:47 AM

Okay, I am root, and found it in /data/data/de.schildbach.wallet/files

There is a key-backup-base58 and several versions of that same file, and a wallet-protobuf.

I've also found how to import public keys (bitcoin addresses) via QR code, but there isn't a way to import private key QR codes, or private keys in WIF.

Anyway, I will probably just use one key for mobile phone use.

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1128

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 03:29:56 PM

One of my transactions is listed as "dead" in the wallet and shows a "!" instead of the normal green circle.  The transaction shows as valid in the block chain.  What is going on?  Do I need to reset/reload the block chain in order to fix this?

My wallet balance is correct.
The person I sent the coins to got the coins.

So it is just anoying to look at in the GUI on my phone, does not appear to have affected anything.

Transaction in question is:

https://blockchain.info/tx/9b0ee3b78b18950b491b6e86d763bd3ae418ec0f7785d322f2615e544d998ebe

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1078

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 09:06:37 PM

That is a bug. If you reset your chain and let it sync that should fix it.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1128

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 09:09:59 PM

That is a bug. If you reset your chain and let it sync that should fix it.
Yes, it did fix it. Looks great now.  Thanks!

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
Nontenda

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 04:30:41 PM

Hi,
great app but is there a way to encrypt the wallet ?

Is it not a problem if the wallet in the android application is not encrypted ?

Thank you Smiley
Andreas Schildbach (OP)

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 05:04:43 PM

Currently you can't. It should not be a problem because Android already isolates your app private files against all other non-root apps. So as long as you're not running anything as root you should be safe.
Nontenda

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 05:46:45 PM

Currently you can't. It should not be a problem because Android already isolates your app private files against all other non-root apps. So as long as you're not running anything as root you should be safe.

Alright thank you Smiley But I use root apps (ES Explorer for example).
Are there plans to implement this feature ?

Thank you Smiley
Andreas Schildbach (OP)

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 06:02:34 PM

Alright thank you Smiley But I use root apps (ES Explorer for example).

So you better have reasons to trust these apps very well.

Are there plans to implement this feature ?

It's planned, but there is still some work to do, and its not my top priority. One reason is it won't help in cases like yours: If an app has got root, it can probably just capture keypresses or trick you into signing their transaction. Encryption just puts the bar a little bit higher for a successful attack, but its far from a silver bullet.
Nontenda

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 06:09:22 PM

It's planned, but there is still some work to do, and its not my top priority. One reason is it won't help in cases like yours: If an app has got root, it can probably just capture keypresses or trick you into signing their transaction. Encryption just puts the bar a little bit higher for a successful attack, but its far from a silver bullet.

Yep, I understood it Smiley
Thank you for your answer and the application (amazing app).

Just one more thing, the transaction on the "home" show something like :
1 BTC from ADDRESS

Would be great if ADDRESS was replaced by the label of our address.
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 07:52:07 PM

As far as I understand it is pretty easy to take the coins from a stolen smartphone?

Is it possible to add a watch only wallet? This would be to receive coins at a store/restaurant/bar for example.

(German thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=197959.0)
2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 01:23:05 PM

Hi, loving the client.

Question: I have a client with exactly one private key.
I'd like to export this encrypted key (done) and would like to print the private key to put it in my safe.
How would I best go about this?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  

Jump to: