Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:54:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 [307] 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 ... 1035 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] [MINT] Mintcoin (POS / 5%) [NO ICO] [Fair distro, community maintained]  (Read 1369739 times)
Jeezy911

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 07:58:03 AM

so, I have a lot of friends who own businesses that I could approach to accept Mintcoin (or any coin for that matter),  What's my argument to make it worth their while?  What do I say to:

1.  There's too much volatility.  The price drops, I lose money. (My answer: The price could go up. But not everyone wants the risk.  I've never understood this about merchants that take Bitcoin either.)  Any better arguments?

2.  Who is going to use that?

3.  Why, when I can just take cash or credit?

4.  What about hacking and theft?

5.  What if I lose a hdd and lose my wallet?  I can't back it up every time I have a transaction.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but I think these are just some of the concerns to be addressed if we want widespread adoption.

Please, only educated responses.
Oh I can tell you one really good reason why. Us! Its called tapping into a new market, you accept BTC you just found a new demographic of 10s of thousands of potential new customers.

In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bjmillican4

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 08:01:28 AM

The people that move these coins around, buying and selling must like to not get free coins. Why would you day trade mint?

I totally agree, which is one thing that makes me a little nervous about the coin.  If everyone holds for POS, myself included, what will happen?  I'm not really interested in mining anymore because of profitability.  So the question is, who will mine, and who will use the coins (and where to use them) so that mining and minting are necessary.  It seems like we need a way to use these to keep the process going, otherwise it dies.  Any ideas anyone has on this would be appreciated.

No, in fact the demand for this coin would go much up like in the case of Bitcoin how right now not many are selling it. The peopl who want mint would have to pay more for mint because no one is selling. economics 101 - supply and demand

+1 indeed

So you don't understand my post either.  I guess I'll try and rephrase it

Mintcoin still has the functionality and advantages of POW crypto currencies. You can send and receive units of value anywhere in the world (extremely quickly and securely) for nominal fees, while also being confident that forgery and counterfeiting is impossible, or nearly impossible. You have to keep in mind though, the average person and investor will likely have little interest in mining crypto currencies, and many will have no interest in the underlying technology behind crypto currencies. If you present many people with the choice between a crypto currency that generates interest from unspent coins, versus a crypto currency with coins that people "make on their computer", which do you think they will choose?

It's not like mintcoin is suddenly unspendable, it simply generates extra coins from what you don't spend. It's like saying a person would prefer a no interest checking account with a high yield interest checking account (one with really good interest rates).

I'm not saying new people coming into cryptocurrencies won't be mining at all though, I'm just saying I've seen plenty of noobies in r/dogecoin mining with their Pentium 4s and getting 4kh/s. Most newcomers will be buying in, not mining in.

What you are saying makes sense, and I have a full understanding and complete knowledge of everything you said.  My point is, how to keep it going?  It has to be used somewhere.  In the current P&D system we have, I can't see ANY alt crypto having much of a future.  I've been mining BTC since 2011 and in that time I've seen it grow, but nothing like it should have.  BTC has grown extremely resilient to external forces, but that resilience only comes from a dedicated community.  And let's be honest, that community is largely made up of computer geeks (myself included).  It's the same for any coin.

My opinion is that we have to achieve widespread use of Mint (or your own favorite coin).  How long will any coin last unless it breaks out of the current cycle all alt coins are stuck in.  Personally, I don't understand any excitement over any of the coins in place today.  People are betting on Flappy, and Grumpy, and Pot, and Dope.  I'm not putting these coins down, they all have their place, but it seems to prove the point that ALL alt coins are whimsical unless there can be a breakthrough to the general public.  If a coin can achieve that, it would even leave BTC far behind.

I'm just trying to move things forward.  The Mint community seems to be in the game for the long haul.  But how long is that?  Anyone thinking these coins can last without more adoption is fooling themselves.
futile-resistance

Activity: 840
Merit: 516

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 08:03:52 AM

Here is a sneak peak of the wallet coming up.

There is even the possibility of extra features being integrated into the wallet but more of that later.

www.mintcoin.cc

Scroll down the homepage and look at the testimonials (the team is growing).

New wallet looks amazing guys, great job.
zack5104

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 08:04:10 AM

This might be a great coin but if you cant get the wallet to work (sync) what good is it?
Ive tried everything, older versions, the newest version, editing the config file, deleting the config file, to no avail.  It will not sync.

Though I admit Im a "newbie" Ive had other wallets.  Gamecoin wallets, Feathercoin wallets, Litecoin wallets, UTC wallets, Betacoin wallets even a Barbecue wallet without any problems whatsoever.

So, Im just giving my 2 cents worth, if you find people are abandoning this coin its no because they dint have faith in it.  Its because its self-defeating without a wallet that could work.

This is total BS. I have a 1 wallet on mac and 1 on windows running fine. If you're being genuine, I suggest you back up your wallet.dat file or send you coins to an exchange, then do a re-install. You could also start a new user account and do a fresh install there, sounds to me like you deleted something you shouldn't have.

Can you post you conf file?  Also, have you deleted everything in the AppData/Roaming file?  Delete the entire Mint file there, then reinstall.

Save the conf file to Mint in the AppData/ Roaming location.  Then open Mint.  I've had problems like this with other wallets.  One thing that may work is to delete the rpcport from the conf file.  Start Mint wallet, let it sync, then close it.  Thenadd the rpc line  back to the conf  file and reopen the wallet.  I have no idea why, but this has worked for me with other wallets.

http://img40.imagevenue.com/loc438/th_653616991_nosyncMINT2_122_438lo.jpg

I have no coins within the wallet since the wallet was never functional.  I do however have coins Ive been mining at pools.  In any case, the coins earned are useless unless the wallet becomes functional.  I am happy yours is.  Perhaps its a similar case of receiving graphics cards, and one of them doesnt work.  But in this case Ive downloaded multiple wallets and none of them work.

Just incase the embedded image doesnt work (and it probably wont since Im not that technologically savvy), my proof is in the linked image here: img40.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=653616991_nosyncMINT2_122_438lo.jpg
Best of luck to all, whatever coin you may treasure.

Well, Thanks for the encouragement bjmillican4.

After rebooting my comp, and using the suggested addnodes (listed below) and adding them BOTH to the CONFIG file in the application folder AND copying the same config file to the application/roaming folders I was able to get it to sync.

Seems the kicker here is to add that config file with the newer addnodes into the application/roaming area than within the original downloaded folder the wallet came with.
Course a reboot, or two, on the ole comp can always be a charm.

Thanks again,  bjmillican4, for egging me on Smiley

http://img165.imagevenue.com/loc539/th_656956561_sync_122_539lo.jpg

or

http://img165.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=656956561_sync_122_539lo.jpg

ITS SYNCING!!!

ADDNODES.
Remember to report HERE C:\Users\cls2\AppData\Roaming\MintCoin
as well as
HERE  C:\Users\cls2\Desktop\ALLCOINFOLDERS, the place you originally downloaded the wallet client to, these addnodes:

testnet=0
listen=1
addnode=144.76.220.169
addnode=213.114.153.118
addnode=1.80.150.168
addnode=184.72.188.245
addnode=162.243.4.85
addnode=115.28.140.128
addnode=113.135.64.107
addnode=27.33.253.164
addnode=209.190.29.2
addnode=155.210.52.121
addnode=62.178.31.2
addnode=91.228.76.83
addnode=115.29.224.192
addnode=128.199.255.172
addnode=223.199.16.58
addnode=23.253.55.13
addnode=162.243.70.241
addnode=107.170.26.18
addnode=115.28.177.49
addnode=93.78.120.235
addnode=218.77.97.176
addnode=182.112.134.112
addnode=155.210.52.121
addnode=94.194.77.2
addnode=5.255.66.44
addnode=115.28.129.207
maxconnections=100
server=1
daemon=1
rpcuser=yourser
rpcpassword=yourpw
rpcport=12789
rpcconnect=127.0.0.1

And a good ole reboot never hurt a thing neither.
Thanks for the help guys and gals Smiley

Glad you got it working.  I've gotten pissed and posted about bad wallets too.  It happens to everyone.  Not sure why your trouble.  It should be easier.  Everyday people are never going to use crypto if they have to deal with these problems.

Computers can really be weird sometimes too, bjmillican4.  Sometimes the inexplicable can happen and the computer seems to solve its own problems, sometimes as if it can think for itself.  
Theres obviously issues with this wallet, as others have complained.  Clearly theres a defect, even if we can walk around it.  And I agree, its a deterrent to those who are exploring crypto.  Still Ive never had trouble with other wallets, at least to date.

Thanks for the help though.  Best to you and your pursuit of coins!
bjmillican4

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 08:04:37 AM

so, I have a lot of friends who own businesses that I could approach to accept Mintcoin (or any coin for that matter),  What's my argument to make it worth their while?  What do I say to:

1.  There's too much volatility.  The price drops, I lose money. (My answer: The price could go up. But not everyone wants the risk.  I've never understood this about merchants that take Bitcoin either.)  Any better arguments?

5.  What if I lose a hdd and lose my wallet?  I can't back it up every time I have a transaction.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but I think these are just some of the concerns to be addressed if we want widespread adoption.

I personally believe that Overstock, and most others just sells it the moment they get Bitcoin for example, but that's because they got a BTC -> USD exchange. Others not so sure about.

Don't think that will change until Bitcoin and others create much more volume which will reduce all the volatility that is currently seen in the price.

That makes sense, thanks.
bjmillican4

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 08:11:33 AM

The people that move these coins around, buying and selling must like to not get free coins. Why would you day trade mint?

I totally agree, which is one thing that makes me a little nervous about the coin.  If everyone holds for POS, myself included, what will happen?  I'm not really interested in mining anymore because of profitability.  So the question is, who will mine, and who will use the coins (and where to use them) so that mining and minting are necessary.  It seems like we need a way to use these to keep the process going, otherwise it dies.  Any ideas anyone has on this would be appreciated.

50 Billion coins will still be mined after the mining period. This will be done through "minting" however. There will be no need for miners.

Developers are actively working to get merchants involved. Please visit Mintcoin.com for more information.

Thanks, this was helpful.  So is there no need to mine after switch to POS?  I know there is a 1 coin/block reward.  Just so I'm clear, mining would no longer be necessary, all confirmations takes place via minting?

It's my understanding that mining need not take place. People can still mine, but will only receive 1 per block. If the coins are distributed well enough, there will be enough people with wallets minting at any given time in order to sustain the network.

Got it.  You get a gold star for being the only person who understood my question, and helping.  The next idiot that says Econ 101 to me without having a fucking clue what economics really is, loses 3 gold stars.

What, no cookie?  Grin Have you checked out Mintcoin.com yet?

I have.  Just thinking bigger. $50bn is huge.  And FFS, now I have to give a cookie to every legitimate response.  Mint chocolate I suppose.  I hope the Girl Scouts are selling those soon.  I might need a shitload.  And how would they feel about being paid in Mint for mint cookies.

I actually hate the idea of going "big" btw, but if we don't figure out a way to do it and keep it decentralized and unregulated, then some other corp will do it for us.
philipvdlinde

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 08:13:37 AM

When do you guys think a mint-usd market is formed?
futile-resistance

Activity: 840
Merit: 516

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 08:14:58 AM

I totally agree, which is one thing that makes me a little nervous about the coin.  If everyone holds for POS, myself included, what will happen?  I'm not really interested in mining anymore because of profitability.  So the question is, who will mine, and who will use the coins (and where to use them) so that mining and minting are necessary.  It seems like we need a way to use these to keep the process going, otherwise it dies.  Any ideas anyone has on this would be appreciated.

No, in fact the demand for this coin would go much up like in the case of Bitcoin how right now not many are selling it. The peopl who want mint would have to pay more for mint because no one is selling. economics 101 - supply and demand

+1 indeed

Mintcoin still has the functionality and advantages of POW crypto currencies. You can send and receive units of value anywhere in the world (extremely quickly and securely) for nominal fees, while also being confident that forgery and counterfeiting is impossible, or nearly impossible. You have to keep in mind though, the average person and investor will likely have little interest in mining crypto currencies, and many will have no interest in the underlying technology behind crypto currencies. If you present many people with the choice between a crypto currency that generates interest from unspent coins, versus a crypto currency with coins that people "make on their computer", which do you think they will choose?

It's not like mintcoin is suddenly unspendable, it simply generates extra coins from what you don't spend. It's like saying a person would prefer a no interest checking account with a high yield interest checking account (one with really good interest rates).

I'm not saying new people coming into cryptocurrencies won't be mining at all though, I'm just saying I've seen plenty of noobies in r/dogecoin mining with their Pentium 4s and getting 4kh/s. Most newcomers will be buying in, not mining in.

What you are saying makes sense, and I have a full understanding and complete knowledge of everything you said.  My point is, how to keep it going?  It has to be used somewhere.  In the current P&D system we have, I can't see ANY alt crypto having much of a future.  I've been mining BTC since 2011 and in that time I've seen it grow, but nothing like it should have.  BTC has grown extremely resilient to external forces, but that resilience only comes from a dedicated community.  And let's be honest, that community is largely made up of computer geeks (myself included).  It's the same for any coin.

My opinion is that we have to achieve widespread use of Mint (or your own favorite coin).  How long will any coin last unless it breaks out of the current cycle all alt coins are stuck in.  Personally, I don't understand any excitement over any of the coins in place today.  People are betting on Flappy, and Grumpy, and Pot, and Dope.  I'm not putting these coins down, they all have their place, but it seems to prove the point that ALL alt coins are whimsical unless there can be a breakthrough to the general public.  If a coin can achieve that, it would even leave BTC far behind.

I'm just trying to move things forward.  The Mint community seems to be in the game for the long haul.  But how long is that?  Anyone thinking these coins can last without more adoption is fooling themselves.

Breaking into mainstream will be extremely difficult for any cryptocurrency to accomplish. I definitely agree with you there. At least one thing mintcoin has going for it, on a technical standpoint, is that it won't require miners to stick around (something that for the vast majority of cryptocurrencies is a serious and probably fatal problem). So, at least it should in theory still be functional in 40 years, it just might be worthless.
bjmillican4

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 08:18:33 AM

Oh I can tell you one really good reason why. Us! Its called tapping into a new market, you accept BTC you just found a new demographic of 10s of thousands of potential new customers.

You are absolutely right.  For huge online stores, that's a great marketing tool.  I'm talking smaller local businesses.  One step at a time I guess.  No point in complete world domination over night.  But I do have quite a few Mint and I'm looking forward to the day I can destroy all foes with a single click.  Wolong Reloaded, goddamnit.

Just joking, since most people here don't get my sarcasm.
deadmanwalking

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 08:19:12 AM

When do you guys think a mint-usd market is formed?

It would be nice to be added to Vault of Satoshi or something.

\
bjmillican4

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 08:26:05 AM

+1 indeed

Breaking into mainstream will be extremely difficult for any cryptocurrency to accomplish. I definitely agree with you there. At least one thing mintcoin has going for it, on a technical standpoint, is that it won't require miners to stick around (something that for the vast majority of cryptocurrencies is a serious and probably fatal problem). So, at least it should in theory still be functional in 40 years, it just might be worthless.

Excellent point.  What other coin has this, with the same dedicated community?  Somebody mentioned Zeit.  I researched that if I remember right,  I think it's for a foundation and %50 premined,  don't quote me.  I just remember it not having any long term potential for me.  I think Peercoin is POS.  Other than that, I don't see much.  This is the first coin I've seen that has any long term potential.  I don't even think BTC has any commercial viability in the long term.  Mint just needs continued support and development, a lot of luck, and a lot of marketing to succeed.
bjmillican4

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 08:28:37 AM

Mintpal has Mint/BTC and Mint/LTC.  Mint/USD might take a while.
deadmanwalking

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 08:40:15 AM

Mintpal has Mint/BTC and Mint/LTC.  Mint/USD might take a while.

Mintcoin is still #3 trade volume on Cryptsy

\
bjmillican4

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 08:44:41 AM

Heck yeah.
bjmillican4

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 08:47:41 AM

I own a custom furniture and woodworking bidness.  I'll take Mint for payment.  I'll use the current market rate 20% for pricing.  PM if you have something in mind.
zyronx
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 08:48:25 AM

Price is dropping though a few days ago it was 40+ on crypsy. now its down to around 20.  should have waited I bought at 38. oh well. I always make that mistake. I think I would have learned. lol

bjmillican4

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 09:04:40 AM

Price is dropping though a few days ago it was 40+ on crypsy. now its down to around 20.  should have waited I bought at 38. oh well. I always make that mistake. I think I would have learned. lol

I don't know how much you bought, but don't be discouraged because of a price fluctuation.  This coin is going to pumped and dumped more than a $2 hooker.  Just sell when you feel comfortable.

I don't advocate the P&D going on, but it is the reality with every coin.  Just hang on to it.  No point in selling for a loss.

I could have made a few BTC when the price was at 60, and it was tempting, but I decided to risk it.  You never know what might happen.  Which is what makes it so much fun.
bjmillican4

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 09:11:03 AM

So, got around 3,000 Mint in 12 hours just through minting.  Nice.  Anyone else's wallet running very slow.  Also getting some pc lag. It started today when it started minting.  I haven't diagnosed it yet, just curious if others are seeing wallets hogging their systems.
farl4web
Legendary

Activity: 1205
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 09:25:16 AM

I'm always interested in Proof of Stake!  Smiley

In your Youtube video you said I have to place my MINT account here for the giveaway. So here it is:
MiPZZY6469yPDGTfpR7JbstW8Vf3EJ4Vtw

Thanx!
Collegestudent

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

The blockchain is the future

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 09:33:44 AM

Is there any way to fully decrypt your wallet and does interest accumulate even when the wallet is not opened?
Pages: « 1 ... 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 [307] 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 ... 1035 »
  Print  

Jump to: