Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 01:47:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 [303] 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 ... 515 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][NOTE]DNotes - Celebrating DNotes 3rd Birthday - Forum Now Open  (Read 814492 times)
qiwoman2
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1023

Oikos.cash | Decentralized Finance on Tron

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 04:02:49 AM

I'm looking very forward to hearing how the event went!

It is excellent news that Canada has decided to use a hands off approach with Digital Currency. I also saw that they cheekily hired a company to put their decision announcement through the blockchain - "nearly hands off".

Just talked to Alan. Everything went great. Met some others of like mind, and was able to educate a lot of people who were hungry for information about crypto currency, and were especially interested in the CRISP programs. He has had a very long day, and will give us a full report tomorrow!

Smokey

Excellent! Sounds like it went great.

That is awesome news. I am thinking of also writing to Lefkosia University here as they have a course even on cryptocurrencies and they even accept Bitcoin for tuition fees, actually the first Uni ever to do that in the world. Maybe they may also be interested in accepting DNOTES too..we got nothing to lose..

█▀█ █ █▄▀ █▀█ █▀ ░ █▀▀ ▄▀█ █▀ █░█
█▄█ █ █░█ █▄█ ▄█ ▄ █▄▄ █▀█ ▄█ █▀█

DeFi on Tron
and trustless token exchange
█████

█████

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████

JOIN OIKOS

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████

█████
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
█████
Dyna
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1060

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 11:42:39 AM
Last edit: June 23, 2015, 12:10:16 PM by Dyna

It is excellent news that Canada has decided to use a hands off approach with Digital Currency. I also saw that they cheekily hired a company to put their decision announcement through the blockchain - "nearly hands off".

Just talked to Alan. Everything went great. Met some others of like mind, and was able to educate a lot of people who were hungry for information about crypto currency, and were especially interested in the CRISP programs. He has had a very long day, and will give us a full report tomorrow!

Smokey

Outstanding! Go Alan!!!
It was fun but a long day. The conference was well attended, with standing room filled and some overflow. My estimate was over 200 but a mixed bag of some knowledge of Bitcoin to very little understanding. I spoke with many individually and in small groups. Very good feedback and high level of interest in different areas. We stayed beyond closing time and a few stayed with me and continued some serious discussion of potential projects. Well worth my time and will payoff over the longer term.
TeeGee

Activity: 846
Merit: 535

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 11:54:57 AM

Smokey

Outstanding! Go Alan!!!
It was fun but a long day. The conference was well attended, with standing room filled and some overflow. My estimate was over 200 but a mixed bag of some knowledge of Bitcoin to very little understanding. I spoke with many individually and in small groups. Very good feedback and high level of interest in different areas. We stayed beyond closing time and a few stayed with me and continued some serious discussion of potential projects. Well worth my time and will payoff over the longer term.

People staying beyond closing time to continue speaking to you shows just how interested people are in the work you're doing; a barometer of your successful contribution at the event! It also shows just how determined you are to make the most of every opportunity presented to you, putting in the effort to enlighten everybody interested in what is happening with DNotes. I noticed that Silicon Dragon has youtube videos of previous events, I'm hoping they upload a copy of the one you were just at.

DNotes is becoming more and more credible every day, and every conversation I have with people about DNotes is becoming easier with each stepping stone. Most people haven't heard of Bitcoin - and of those who have, most of them think its for buying drugs and guns online. Soon there will be a serious alternative, and people won't be questioning whether this 'counts' as money.

Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 12:40:43 PM

Smokey

Outstanding! Go Alan!!!

People staying beyond closing time to continue speaking to you shows just how interested people are in the work you're doing; a barometer of your successful contribution at the event! It also shows just how determined you are to make the most of every opportunity presented to you, putting in the effort to enlighten everybody interested in what is happening with DNotes. I noticed that Silicon Dragon has youtube videos of previous events, I'm hoping they upload a copy of the one you were just at.

DNotes is becoming more and more credible every day, and every conversation I have with people about DNotes is becoming easier with each stepping stone. Most people haven't heard of Bitcoin - and of those who have, most of them think its for buying drugs and guns online. Soon there will be a serious alternative, and people won't be questioning whether this 'counts' as money.
My take away was that people are giving up on Bitcoin as a long term investment. Everyone was interested in Blockchain technology but there is no easy way to participate. DNotes is the answer. Long term DNotes investors are investing in DNotes as a currency and to a limited extent, it's ecosystem which will be a solid participant in the Blockchain technology.

I hope some part of it will show up on YouTube but typically greatly edited. A lot was covered in a short period of time with venture capital deal makers talking up a lot of the time. There was certainly a great deal of interest in DNotes.
RJF

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Online since '89...

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2015, 12:52:51 PM

Smokey

Outstanding! Go Alan!!!

There seems to be a real and tangible "void" of real world information about crypto. Sure there's news stories, mostly slanted to the author's intent, videos, and websites but, for the most part, no substance, no easy to follow road map, no old fashioned "shaking hands and kissing babys". This leads to frustration, and eventually, exit. In this regard, the DNotes Educational Guide is golden. Its this kind of information and learning the people will remember, not some dry, talking head, spewing technical jargon for a half hour, not a white paper, not an advertisement. It's going out to conferences and meeting people, shaking hands and answering questions that builds empires. Keeping DNotes in the public eye is worth it's weight in gold.

Again, nice work Alan! It's about time DNotes got some recognition!

DNotesVault
“First, they ignore you. Then, they laugh at you. Then, they fight you. Then you win!” – Mahatma Gandhi 
Prepare for your future now, check out CRISP For Retirement and our complete family of CRISP savings plans.
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 01:27:23 PM

Smokey

Outstanding! Go Alan!!!

There seems to be a real and tangible "void" of real world information about crypto. Sure there's news stories, mostly slanted to the author's intent, videos, and websites but, for the most part, no substance, no easy to follow road map, no old fashioned "shaking hands and kissing babys". This leads to frustration, and eventually, exit. In this regard, the DNotes Educational Guide is golden. Its this kind of information and learning the people will remember, not some dry, talking head, spewing technical jargon for a half hour, not a white paper, not an advertisement. It's going out to conferences and meeting people, shaking hands and answering questions that builds empires. Keeping DNotes in the public eye is worth it's weight in gold.

Again, nice work Alan! It's about time DNotes got some recognition!

DNotes is gaining a great deal of recognition and respect. Some were very impressed by the fact that we take trust and integrity so seriously that we built our own ecosystem; CryptoMoms, DNotesVault and our whole family of CRISPs without any VC funding. Some frankly admitted that VC funding would have make things significantly more burdensome. We could have burnt up millions and not get as much accomplished. According to this group, angel investors hardly ever made money and they are now joining force with VC and act more like VC. That may not be so good for startups.
wiser
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1029

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 02:05:55 PM

DNotes is gaining a great deal of recognition and respect. Some were very impressed by the fact that we take trust and integrity so seriously that we built our own ecosystem; CryptoMoms, DNotesVault and our whole family of CRISPs without any VC funding. Some frankly admitted that VC funding would have make things significantly more burdensome. We could have burnt up millions and not get as much accomplished. According to this group, angel investors hardly ever made money and they are now joining force with VC and act more like VC. That may not be so good for startups.

Congratulations on a job well done!

I personally like the idea of bootstrapping far better, though I realize that can be more intimidating and sometimes things have to go slower that way. I know there is a place for outside support, in which case I'd recommend either crowdfunding, or putting up a Bitcoin asset on Havelock Investments and promoting it (that could potentially be appropriate once you set up the corporation that would own some of the DNotes assets--mentioned about ten pages back). If you ever decide to go the Havelock route, PM me and I'll put you in touch with the owner of Rental Starter, which is as far as I know the most solid asset on Havelock.
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 02:29:01 PM

I personally like the idea of bootstrapping far better, though I realize that can be more intimidating and sometimes things have to go slower that way. I know there is a place for outside support, in which case I'd recommend either crowdfunding, or putting up a Bitcoin asset on Havelock Investments and promoting it (that could potentially be appropriate once you set up the corporation that would own some of the DNotes assets--mentioned about ten pages back). If you ever decide to go the Havelock route, PM me and I'll put you in touch with the owner of Rental Starter, which is as far as I know the most solid asset on Havelock.

Thanks, wiser. We are exploring various options. Crowdfunding is one of those options being considered. Whether we like it or not, meeting regulatory requirements is a serious consideration. I will be checking back this evening. Thanks, everyone.
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1111

DNotes

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2015, 02:42:33 PM

Thanks, wiser. We are exploring various options. Crowdfunding is one of those options being considered. Whether we like it or not, meeting regulatory requirements is a serious consideration. I will be checking back this evening. Thanks, everyone.

The cost of properly utilizing crowd funding was an eye opener for me. That may be why RENT doesn't accept funding from the US.

"Due to current US Securities regulations, Full power asia investment does not currently accept investment from the US. Should a investor be determined as a US resident we reserve the right to issue a buyback/refund on resident's investment"

Thank you by the way Wiser

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2015, 05:01:33 PM

Fairly interesting interview with Jon Matonis (Founding Board Director for The Bitcoin Foundation).

Jon Matonis: Bitcoin Needs Its Own Version of LIBOR

[...]

CT: In your travels, you have worked with governments and regulators. How are they handling this new technology when it comes to integrating it with currently established systems?

JM: As I am a participant on the Gibraltar Digital Currency Task Force, I also get the opportunity to brief other government regulators on the limitations involved in regulating their national currencies and Bitcoin. Even though, they are usually smaller and more responsive regimes; the issues are mostly the same.

How do we guarantee the bitcoin balances held on behalf of customers when those do not fall under bank deposit insurance schemes? Mostly, this is being addressed through a combination of cryptographic proof-of-reserves, best practices on cold wallet backup and recovery, and third-party insurance underwriters.

Also, how can they be in compliance with the spirit of global AML if they do not have a method of verifiably linking client identity to inbound and/or outbound transactions?

There is not really an answer for this because handling BTC is similar to handling cash. Whitelisting, blacklisting, and redlisting are not suitable solutions either because they damage overall bitcoin fungibility. Accounts at a money service business or financial institution can certainly be linked to identity, but the individual coins (or coin subunits) themselves cannot be.

[...]

http://cointelegraph.com/news/114648/jon-matonis-the-bitcoin-ecosystem-will-soon-need-a-reference-interest-rate-similar-to-libor

Chase
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 07:24:22 PM

Fairly interesting interview with Jon Matonis (Founding Board Director for The Bitcoin Foundation).

[...]

CT: In your travels, you have worked with governments and regulators. How are they handling this new technology when it comes to integrating it with currently established systems?

JM: As I am a participant on the Gibraltar Digital Currency Task Force, I also get the opportunity to brief other government regulators on the limitations involved in regulating their national currencies and Bitcoin. Even though, they are usually smaller and more responsive regimes; the issues are mostly the same.

How do we guarantee the bitcoin balances held on behalf of customers when those do not fall under bank deposit insurance schemes? Mostly, this is being addressed through a combination of cryptographic proof-of-reserves, best practices on cold wallet backup and recovery, and third-party insurance underwriters.

Also, how can they be in compliance with the spirit of global AML if they do not have a method of verifiably linking client identity to inbound and/or outbound transactions?

There is not really an answer for this because handling BTC is similar to handling cash. Whitelisting, blacklisting, and redlisting are not suitable solutions either because they damage overall bitcoin fungibility. Accounts at a money service business or financial institution can certainly be linked to identity, but the individual coins (or coin subunits) themselves cannot be.

[...]

http://cointelegraph.com/news/114648/jon-matonis-the-bitcoin-ecosystem-will-soon-need-a-reference-interest-rate-similar-to-libor

"Accounts at a money service business or financial institution can certainly be linked to identity, but the individual coins (or coin subunits) themselves cannot be." - This is a great reply and should be quoted every time that argument comes up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

CoinTelegraph: Your recent tweets have drawn some controversy. It can be construed as you are advocating removing the cap limit of 21 million bitcoins. Is this what you are advocating?

Jon Matonis: Of course, I don't want to change the 21 million Bitcoin cap; I'm just saying that in the not-too-distant future someone will attempt it. One doesn't have to own BTC in order to propagate bitcoin software across the nodes in a propagation war. I would have preferred to have seen the existing BIP process utilized for this purpose so that the compromises can be worked out pre-propagation.

The rigorous infrastructure for code review and testing similar to the IETF is what Bitcoin protocol currently lacks and that's even more of a reason to reinforce the existing BIP process. It demonstrates code maturity. Yes, independent software propagation with time-released changes to hard fork the consensus chain should be there only as an absolute last resort. I simply think the trigger on that option was pulled too early.

"Of course, I don't want to change the 21 million Bitcoin cap; I'm just saying that in the not-too-distant future someone will attempt it. One doesn't have to own BTC in order to propagate bitcoin software across the nodes in a propagation war." - What are the chances of something like this happening?

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." -Albert Einstein-

DNotes EDU – Cryptocurrency Education For All – Accomplishments of 2018
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2015, 08:28:53 PM

[...]

[...]

"Accounts at a money service business or financial institution can certainly be linked to identity, but the individual coins (or coin subunits) themselves cannot be." - This is a great reply and should be quoted every time that argument comes up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

CoinTelegraph: Your recent tweets have drawn some controversy. It can be construed as you are advocating removing the cap limit of 21 million bitcoins. Is this what you are advocating?

Jon Matonis: Of course, I don't want to change the 21 million Bitcoin cap; I'm just saying that in the not-too-distant future someone will attempt it. One doesn't have to own BTC in order to propagate bitcoin software across the nodes in a propagation war. I would have preferred to have seen the existing BIP process utilized for this purpose so that the compromises can be worked out pre-propagation.

The rigorous infrastructure for code review and testing similar to the IETF is what Bitcoin protocol currently lacks and that's even more of a reason to reinforce the existing BIP process. It demonstrates code maturity. Yes, independent software propagation with time-released changes to hard fork the consensus chain should be there only as an absolute last resort. I simply think the trigger on that option was pulled too early.

"Of course, I don't want to change the 21 million Bitcoin cap; I'm just saying that in the not-too-distant future someone will attempt it. One doesn't have to own BTC in order to propagate bitcoin software across the nodes in a propagation war." - What are the chances of something like this happening?

" "Accounts at a money service business or financial institution can certainly be linked to identity, but the individual coins (or coin subunits) themselves cannot be." - This is a great reply and should be quoted every time that argument comes up."

Agreed, very easy to understand way of explaining it.

" "Of course, I don't want to change the 21 million Bitcoin cap; I'm just saying that in the not-too-distant future someone will attempt it. One doesn't have to own BTC in order to propagate bitcoin software across the nodes in a propagation war." - What are the chances of something like this happening?"

It is possible but I can see arguments for either side. Doge has created a permanent 10k block reward, forever, I believe. I know there was some controversy around that change.

Presuming the transaction fees alone aren't enough for miners to support the network adequately. The question becomes what is more important, lower transaction fees, or less inflation.

RJF

Online since '89...

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2015, 10:25:40 PM
Last edit: June 23, 2015, 10:42:11 PM by RJF

Silicon Dragon 2015 New York

The event with pictures of Alan on the panel:

http://www.silicondragonventures.com/events/events-2015/silicon-dragon-ny-2015/

PS: I THINK Alan is in two of the pictures, see if you can find both....  Grin

DNotesVault
“First, they ignore you. Then, they laugh at you. Then, they fight you. Then you win!” – Mahatma Gandhi 
Prepare for your future now, check out CRISP For Retirement and our complete family of CRISP savings plans.
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 10:58:36 PM

That was quick. RJF has the advantage of meeting me in person recently.

The room was packed with many people standing in different places not shown in these pictures.

Focus on the picture on the left hand side. Second picture from the bottom with the banner "Nasdaq Silicon Dragon; left to right: Sarah Martin, Tatiana Moroz (Singer-Song Writer), Porter Bibb, Francesco Rulli, Alan Yong. I can not identify a second picture.

Thanks, RJF. I just reached home. Great trip.
RJF

Online since '89...

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2015, 11:04:26 PM

The room was packed with many people standing in different places not shown in these pictures.

Focus on the picture on the left hand side. Second picture from the bottom with the banner "Nasdaq Silicon Dragon; left to right: Sarah Martin, Tatiana Moroz (Singer-Song Writer), Porter Bibb, Francesco Rulli, Alan Yong. I can not identify a second picture.

There's a picture showing a woman holding a camera while sitting and a man standing behind her with his back sort of toward the camera. It looks like you! Right next to the panel pic.

DNotesVault
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2015, 01:12:02 AM

There's a picture showing a woman holding a camera while sitting and a man standing behind her with his back sort of toward the camera. It looks like you! Right next to the panel pic.

Alan is the young man on the right.

Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 02:24:27 AM

Impressive. You are correct. At one point I was moving around shaking hands with as many people as I could.
RJF

Online since '89...

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2015, 12:19:28 PM

Impressive. You are correct. At one point I was moving around shaking hands with as many people as I could.

Some of my contract work involves dissecting visual imagery...  Smiley

DNotesVault
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 01:26:54 PM

Some of my contract work involves dissecting visual imagery...  Smiley

That explains it, but still very impressive.
kanus1113

Activity: 452
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 03:13:38 PM
Last edit: June 24, 2015, 03:44:37 PM by kanus1113

No video on Silicon Dragon's youtube as of yet. I hope you don't mind, I have a few questions, how about a forum interview?

Were you able to talk much about DNotes?

How was DNotes received?

Were you able to meet with many people?

What were your takeaways from the event?

Are you happy with the outcome?
Pages: « 1 ... 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 [303] 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 ... 515 »
  Print  

Jump to: