Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 04:26:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 [315] 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 ... 515 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][NOTE]DNotes - Celebrating DNotes 3rd Birthday - Forum Now Open  (Read 814498 times)
kanus1113

Activity: 452
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 03:02:30 PM

Very nice Mochilles. A bit hard to see the Digital Currency Executive, even on the large logo.
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1111

DNotes

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2015, 03:45:04 PM

Very nice Mochilles. A bit hard to see the Digital Currency Executive, even on the large logo.

Agreed, might be a bit too small, does look nice though.

Chase
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 08:03:10 PM

Very interesting article:

Visa: Bitcoin Has a Future in Payments

Large existing payments companies are “lowering the drawbridges” and working more openly with new players in the space, according to a Visa executive.

Jonathan Vaux, executive director of new digital payments and strategy at Visa Europe, was speaking at WIRED Money, held in London yesterday.

“I genuinely believe that by working together, we will succeed together. I think that the innovation that the startups bring is fantastic and that the scale the incumbents – the banks, the Visas of the world – can bring is really really valuable,” he said.

Removing friction

Vaux’s session at the one-day conference focused on removing friction between startups and incumbents within the payments space.

Formerly vice president at American Express, Vaux said bitcoin is very much on his radar:

“The one thing I often get asked about is bitcoin. I do see … a separation between the currency and the technology that sits under it. From the point of view of currency, I think that's interesting. As Visa, that's what we do – we manage currencies.”

However, he finds the attitude of some of those in the cryptocurrency space a little bizarre. When he was at South by Southwest earlier this year, he noticed a number of cryptocurrency company members arguing.  He said it came across like a scene from Life of Brian, where fractious independence movements the People's Front of Judea and the Judean People's Front spend more time fighting each other than achieving their shared goal.

Regardless, he believes bitcoin has a future in the world of payments and wider finance.

“I think it's going to be really interesting how that currency stabilises,” he said, adding:

“Like any other currency, although this might not be the best week to discuss it, at Visa we are very keen to facilitate that translation of currencies on a global basis.”

The executive said he is also deeply interested in the underlying technology behind bitcoin and suggested it could be used to streamline the payments process when implemented by incumbents, such as Visa.

“Ultimately, what we're looking for is the technology and the component parts that we can bring into our platform and into our marketplace, that delivers a richer proposition,” he explained.

Jonathan Vaux Visa
Jonathan Vaux, executive director of new digital payments and strategy at Visa Europe, speaks at WIRED Money.
Startup advice

Vaux receives pitches on a daily basis from startups looking to form partnerships with Visa and he used his WIRED Money session to offer some advice to such companies.

Number one on his list was preparation. Startups need to “do their homework” and make sure they’re confident the service or product they are pitching is tailored to the larger company’s needs.

“Ok, you want my brand, you want my money, you want my distribution, what I have no sense of is what is in it for me as the provider of that service,” he said.

A lot of the startups Vaux comes into contact with are targeting their products at millennials, which doesn’t align with the target audiences of larger companies. He explained:  “Many of these services are so specifically focussed on the millennials that it may be hard [to gain a partnership] because, honestly, those are not going to be most large financial organisations' most successful customers."

Another gripe Vaux has is startups pitching to him without having thought extensively enough about the future roadmap of their businesses.  “It is a large organisation's worst nightmare to be dependent on a partner who cannot fulfil the obligations from a financial or from a scalability standpoint. Therefore, there's a lot of nervousness about that and the more clear and well thought out the plan is, the better for everyone,” he explained.

Areas of interest

Vaux said some of the areas Visa is currently interested in include “identification, device fraud, using cloud-based technology to take some of the pain out of online payments, digital receipting”.

He said these are the kind of services Visa thinks will really add value for its current and future customers.

At the end of his session, when asked what he sees as the highest risk to the future of Visa, he replied “complacency”, concluding:

“I think that you have to adapt, you have to learn … I think what we have to focus on is where we add value and collaborate with others to do that.”

http://www.coindesk.com/visa-bitcoin-has-a-future-in-payments/

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." -Albert Einstein-

DNotes EDU – Cryptocurrency Education For All – Accomplishments of 2018
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2015, 10:11:30 PM

Large existing payments companies are “lowering the drawbridges” and working more openly with new players in the space, according to a Visa executive.

Jonathan Vaux, executive director of new digital payments and strategy at Visa Europe, was speaking at WIRED Money, held in London yesterday.

“I genuinely believe that by working together, we will succeed together. I think that the innovation that the startups bring is fantastic and that the scale the incumbents – the banks, the Visas of the world – can bring is really really valuable,” he said.

Removing friction

Vaux’s session at the one-day conference focused on removing friction between startups and incumbents within the payments space.

Formerly vice president at American Express, Vaux said bitcoin is very much on his radar:

“The one thing I often get asked about is bitcoin. I do see … a separation between the currency and the technology that sits under it. From the point of view of currency, I think that's interesting. As Visa, that's what we do – we manage currencies.”

However, he finds the attitude of some of those in the cryptocurrency space a little bizarre. When he was at South by Southwest earlier this year, he noticed a number of cryptocurrency company members arguing.  He said it came across like a scene from Life of Brian, where fractious independence movements the People's Front of Judea and the Judean People's Front spend more time fighting each other than achieving their shared goal.

Regardless, he believes bitcoin has a future in the world of payments and wider finance.

“I think it's going to be really interesting how that currency stabilises,” he said, adding:

“Like any other currency, although this might not be the best week to discuss it, at Visa we are very keen to facilitate that translation of currencies on a global basis.”

The executive said he is also deeply interested in the underlying technology behind bitcoin and suggested it could be used to streamline the payments process when implemented by incumbents, such as Visa.

“Ultimately, what we're looking for is the technology and the component parts that we can bring into our platform and into our marketplace, that delivers a richer proposition,” he explained.

Jonathan Vaux Visa
Jonathan Vaux, executive director of new digital payments and strategy at Visa Europe, speaks at WIRED Money.
Startup advice

Vaux receives pitches on a daily basis from startups looking to form partnerships with Visa and he used his WIRED Money session to offer some advice to such companies.

Number one on his list was preparation. Startups need to “do their homework” and make sure they’re confident the service or product they are pitching is tailored to the larger company’s needs.

“Ok, you want my brand, you want my money, you want my distribution, what I have no sense of is what is in it for me as the provider of that service,” he said.

A lot of the startups Vaux comes into contact with are targeting their products at millennials, which doesn’t align with the target audiences of larger companies. He explained:  “Many of these services are so specifically focussed on the millennials that it may be hard [to gain a partnership] because, honestly, those are not going to be most large financial organisations' most successful customers."

Another gripe Vaux has is startups pitching to him without having thought extensively enough about the future roadmap of their businesses.  “It is a large organisation's worst nightmare to be dependent on a partner who cannot fulfil the obligations from a financial or from a scalability standpoint. Therefore, there's a lot of nervousness about that and the more clear and well thought out the plan is, the better for everyone,” he explained.

Areas of interest

Vaux said some of the areas Visa is currently interested in include “identification, device fraud, using cloud-based technology to take some of the pain out of online payments, digital receipting”.

He said these are the kind of services Visa thinks will really add value for its current and future customers.

At the end of his session, when asked what he sees as the highest risk to the future of Visa, he replied “complacency”, concluding:

“I think that you have to adapt, you have to learn … I think what we have to focus on is where we add value and collaborate with others to do that.”

Good find Chase. Sounds like they are open to working with digital currencies and finding a place to integrate with their services. That is very positive for our industry and DNotes.

HORT

Activity: 508
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 11:40:37 PM
Last edit: July 10, 2015, 12:05:00 AM by HORT

Removing friction

Jonathan Vaux Visa
Startup advice

Areas of interest

Good find Chase. Sounds like they are open to working with digital currencies and finding a place to integrate with their services. That is very positive for our industry and DNotes.

Yes, they are open to working with them as long as they get their cut of the pie. Just like now they get a percentage of the transaction (in cash) and once they work with digital currencies it will just switch to a percentage of the digital currency (DNotes). As usual they will appear to be all nice and sweet but will get you in the end with fees. I would not work with them given the chance. One of the major points of digital currency is the near zero fees. Yeah they will say zero fees at first, but we all know how that works out.

Credit card companies make the poor, poorer. Digital currency (DNotes) will remove this problem.
Dyna
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1060

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 01:57:35 AM

Removing friction

Jonathan Vaux Visa
Startup advice

Areas of interest

Yes, they are open to working with them as long as they get their cut of the pie. Just like now they get a percentage of the transaction (in cash) and once they work with digital currencies it will just switch to a percentage of the digital currency (DNotes). As usual they will appear to be all nice and sweet but will get you in the end with fees. I would not work with them given the chance. One of the major points of digital currency is the near zero fees. Yeah they will say zero fees at first, but we all know how that works out.

Credit card companies make the poor, poorer. Digital currency (DNotes) will remove this problem.

Thank you for participating in this HOT topic. You are already right on one point. They are “very nice”. Quite a few from different credit card companies and major banks have already connected with me on my professional network on LinkedIn. Of course, I am “very nice” too, lol. But that’s me. Having said that, I will say that you have made some solid points. Beyond the high merchant fees and charge backs, what has been most troubling to me is the high interest burden of close to 30% the average consumers and small business owners have been paying. It is easy for those who have the cash flow to say “why don’t you just pay off the entire balance every time. If they could, they would. Tens of millions of people are struck with high credit card balance because they simply do not have the money to pay it off or even pay it down. I never have a problem that everyone in business is out there to make a profit. However, I feel very strongly that the credit card companies have been taking advantage of those who can least afford by charging them such outrageously high rate when they are getting the money for nothing. Indeed, that is one more reasons why I am so passionate about building DNotes to be the trusted global digital currency for everyone worldwide.

“Credit card companies make the poor, poorer. Digital currency (DNotes) will remove this problem.” I am 100% in agreement with you, HORT. Thank you for taking a strong position.
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 10:59:08 AM

I will be at the Chicago Inside Bitcoin convention today but will be checking in later this evening. Have a good day. Alan
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2015, 03:12:42 PM

I will be at the Chicago Inside Bitcoin convention today but will be checking in later this evening. Have a good day. Alan

Excellent! Wish I could join you.

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2015, 04:03:18 PM

This is interesting.

NEW BITCOIN CENTER OPENS IN CHICAGO

Another of America's major cities will now have its own Bitcoin Center, opening today in Chicago after an announcement at the Inside Bitcoins Conference happening there now.

The effort is funded in part by Tally Capital, a local venture capital firm that sees the potential of block chain technology. The new center will be located at 1871, an office building packed with tech start-ups, currently housing more than 300.

Aside from the usual mission of a Bitcoin information center, the Chicago Bitcoin Center will also focus on incubation of local Bitcoin start-ups, providing them with office space and opportunities to make important connections with local entrepreneurs and innovators. As part of this new move, the owner of the building will begin accepting rent at 1871 in Bitcoin, an obviously huge factor for the Bitcoin Center, which may rely largely on Bitcoin contributions.

[...]

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/new-bitcoin-center-opens-chicago/

kanus1113

Activity: 452
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 06:08:56 PM

Good luck, hope you make some great contacts there. Let us know how it went.
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2015, 08:30:25 PM

Further iterations.

By the way Mochilles, would you send me the source code on these? PSD or AI if you have it.

Bergman

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 09:20:51 PM

This is interesting.

Another of America's major cities will now have its own Bitcoin Center, opening today in Chicago after an announcement at the Inside Bitcoins Conference happening there now.

The effort is funded in part by Tally Capital, a local venture capital firm that sees the potential of block chain technology. The new center will be located at 1871, an office building packed with tech start-ups, currently housing more than 300.

Aside from the usual mission of a Bitcoin information center, the Chicago Bitcoin Center will also focus on incubation of local Bitcoin start-ups, providing them with office space and opportunities to make important connections with local entrepreneurs and innovators. As part of this new move, the owner of the building will begin accepting rent at 1871 in Bitcoin, an obviously huge factor for the Bitcoin Center, which may rely largely on Bitcoin contributions.

[...]

Looks like a good place for DNotes to setup shop
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2015, 10:44:53 PM

This is interesting.

[...]

Looks like a good place for DNotes to setup shop

That's a possibility in the future.

TeeGee

Activity: 846
Merit: 535

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 12:49:22 AM

That old blockchain epicentre is well on its way to coming to fruition.

It is so awesome watching a project develop over time when you were sort of sifting around from the beginning. You begin with a positive 'I feel good about this one...', then it develops too 'oh, they seem to be a bit more switched on to the others - say all the right things', to 'things are moving along nicely, commitments are being met and the project is still alive and holding value! (not common for this industry!)' and then to 'whoa, this really has the potential to change everything' (which is why I was here in the first place - I like proven experience).

Whether it is DNotes building block or not, this will definitely benefit crypto, and DNotes in one way or another. Excellent work. Glad to see Tally capital getting involved.

Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 03:33:53 AM

That old blockchain epicentre is well on its way to coming to fruition.

It is so awesome watching a project develop over time when you were sort of sifting around from the beginning. You begin with a positive 'I feel good about this one...', then it develops too 'oh, they seem to be a bit more switched on to the others - say all the right things', to 'things are moving along nicely, commitments are being met and the project is still alive and holding value! (not common for this industry!)' and then to 'whoa, this really has the potential to change everything' (which is why I was here in the first place - I like proven experience).

Whether it is DNotes building block or not, this will definitely benefit crypto, and DNotes in one way or another. Excellent work. Glad to see Tally capital getting involved.

Just to be clear. This is Matt's project and he has been working on it before I met him. I was at his KeyNote speech at the Inside Bitcoin this morning when he made the big announcement. DNotes will be supportive of the project but have not decided on our level of involvement. It took me over two hours to get home today which will be too demanding. We may maintain a minimum commitment with our own suburban office closer to my home. It is not likely that we will make a firm commitment until early next year. I will be meeting with the group again this Monday.

Turn out at the conference was on the low side; per less than 200. I met quite a few industry leaders and had some friendly conversation. With due respect, none of them seem to know much about DNotes at all nor seem to understand the significance of CryptoMoms, DNotesVault and our family of CRISP. It is news to them. One of our strengths is to remain agile and be able to make decision very quickly. DCEBrief will be invaluable to our industry. What I learned today further reaffirmed it. It is quite amazing how much we have accomplished so far.
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2015, 05:31:13 AM

All, I need a few quotes from our forum for the new site. If there are any that made an impact on you, or ones you feel important for our industry, please post it here.

qiwoman2
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1023

Oikos.cash | Decentralized Finance on Tron

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 01:40:28 PM

Sorry Everyone I have been very busy last few days with family matters but am getting back to work so tomorrow hoping to have a blog post ready fro DNOTES.. I love all the great conversation going on in here that has a huge intelligence quota..  Smiley Smiley

█▀█ █ █▄▀ █▀█ █▀ ░ █▀▀ ▄▀█ █▀ █░█
█▄█ █ █░█ █▄█ ▄█ ▄ █▄▄ █▀█ ▄█ █▀█

DeFi on Tron
and trustless token exchange
█████

█████

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████

JOIN OIKOS

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████

█████
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
█████
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2015, 02:29:24 PM

All, I need a few quotes from our forum for the new site. If there are any that made an impact on you, or ones you feel important for our industry, please post it here.

Also looking for quotes from industry leaders with important messages for our industry.

Chase
Legendary

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 04:55:33 PM

Are you looking for quotes made by the community or from the various topics, news, and people we've posted about?

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." -Albert Einstein-

Chase
Legendary

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 04:56:31 PM

Melanie Shapiro is founder and CEO of the Case company. I'm not sure if I posted it previously, but case is a handheld bitcoin device that uses multi signature (user and third party have to sign the transaction) with built in mobile communication. I was pretty impressed with the device, take a look into it. Anyway, found this excellent write up based on a pseudo interview with Melanie Shapiro. It is really worth a read, covers most of the issues and benefits of digital currency. Here is a snippet, but I recommend reading the article.

Having My Mind Changed About Bitcoin: How Dr. Shapiro Did It

Melanie Shapiro worked me over with a series of soft/hard-edged quotes that shifted my opinion about Bitcoin dramatically.

I don't know about you, but I find quotations to be one of the finest learning tools around. My two favorite quotesters are Winston Churchill and Mark Twain. So I decided to use Melanie's quotes here to try and convert you if you're not a Bitcoin supporter and even if you are, Melanie's quotes will provide you with more ammunition.

"There's a lot of misconception about what bitcoin actually is due to media narratives. The most popular reference I hear mentioned is Silk Road, but Silk Road wasn't enabled by bitcoin. People forget or don't realize that Silk Road was enabled by Tor, an 'anonymizing' proxy network. Bitcoin isn't actually an anonymous currency it's pseudo-anonymous. Want to know what's anonymous? Cash."

"The math and technology behind the blockchain is difficult for most to understand, but the beauty is - you don't have to get it to use it. Do you really get how the internet works? TLS/SSL? DNS? HTTPS?"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/billrobinson/having-my-mind-changed-on_b_7613676.html

I'm not sure if these are the type of quotes you are looking for, but I like everything she has to say in this article and all of it is quote worthy.

Pages: « 1 ... 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 [315] 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 ... 515 »
  Print  

Jump to: