Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 08:19:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 [308] 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 ... 515 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][NOTE]DNotes - Celebrating DNotes 3rd Birthday - Forum Now Open  (Read 814493 times)
CryptoBroker79

Activity: 493
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 11:19:48 PM

Decent article on bitcoin becoming money. The headline isn't as bad as it seems.

Volatile Bitcoin still isn't money

Is bitcoin ever going to become money? That's certainly on the mind of bitcoin enthusiasts and backers of the blockchain record-keeping technology that potentially makes it possible. It's also on the minds of the economists at central banks, who wonder how the new currency will affect their ability to manage inflation and economic growth. The answer to the question depends on the answer to a much deeper question: What is money, anyway?

To me the answer has always seemed simple: Money is what you exchange for goods and services. But plenty of people don't seem to be on the same page. You see many declare stubbornly that "gold is money," even though they can't go into McDonald's and use their gold collectible coins to buy a Big Mac. What these gold bugs mean is that in their view gold will hold its value during the long term. They predict that in 100 years they will be able to trade their gold collectible coins for whatever the dominant currency is then, and use that currency to buy about as many Big Macs as they could today if they sold their collectible coins for dollars.

But being a good long-term store of value isn't really a desirable characteristic in a currency. The reason this is true comes from a very deep fact in finance: the trade-off between risk and expected return. In general, if you want something whose value is stable in the short term, you will need to accept that it won't go up much--or may even go down--in the long term. If you want to build your wealth, you will have to accept some short-term fluctuations.

[...]

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2015/jun/28/volatile-bitcoin-still-isn-t-money-2015/

Perhaps rather than trying to completely conform to a traditional financial standpoint, Bitcoin should be more worried about taking advantage of the shortfalls and inefficiencies in the current system and capitalizing on markets that traditional finance just can't compete with. Fiat won't go away overnight, neither will debt based systems. The best we can do is offer a far superior alternative to the old system, smart people will get on board, others will stay in their comfort zone.

I think we should be moving away from the word stability, as deflationary currencies are designed for reliable value appreciation, not stability. I recently saw a comment about DNotes 30x value appreciation being far from stable, which is a valid point.

Thank you for bringing up this important issue, CryptoBroker79. The comment regarding our common characterization of DNotes as the most “stable” digital currency is a comment in response to my blog post “How we characterize Bitcoin is very Important” on LinkedIn (6-28-2015) as follows:

Zennon Kapron 1st
Asia Financial Services Market Research / Author of Chomping at the Bitcoin

“Good commentary, but just to clarify, "appreciating 30 times" is not stable even in the crypto industry”.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-we-characterize-bitcoin-extremely-important-alan-yong

Alan's Response:

Mr. Kapron point that “appreciating 30 times" is not stable even in the crypto industry”
is totally valid.

Technically “stable” means remains the same,  solid, strong, steady, firm, sure, steadfast. In our case, for the lack of a better word, “stable” has been used as a part of our PR efforts to compare and contrast against the word “volatile” with a suggestive message that being stable is better than being volatile.  Let us know if you can think of a better word or a better way to describe DNotes favorable uptrend. I have attempted to associate it with “reliable long term appreciation with higher highs and high low”, a factually correct trend-line (http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/dnotes/#charts).

It is a great point, I personally have always viewed DNotes as a growth model, in terms of price, advancements, and user base. Much like companies such as Amazon, the goal is it to continue growing.

Neither volatile nor stable may not be the appropriate term to use, something like growth maybe more in line.

Here are my suggestions, someone may have already mentioned a few of these in passing.
-Steady value appreciation
-Lasting growth potential
-Resilient uptrend
-Stable price ascension

As for the website, DCEBrief.com looks great and your reasoning for the choice makes sense.
TeeGee

Activity: 846
Merit: 535

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 11:46:10 PM

The Grexit issue is very concerning, I'm not entirely sure how anybody didn't see this possibility coming!!! Like, if you were Greek, wouldn't it have made sense to move your savings away from a Greek bank years ago to mitigate the risk of a total loss? It proves that Government backed Currencies are no safer than the new Digital Currencies.

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1111

DNotes

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2015, 11:56:04 PM

Decent article on bitcoin becoming money. The headline isn't as bad as it seems.

Is bitcoin ever going to become money? That's certainly on the mind of bitcoin enthusiasts and backers of the blockchain record-keeping technology that potentially makes it possible. It's also on the minds of the economists at central banks, who wonder how the new currency will affect their ability to manage inflation and economic growth. The answer to the question depends on the answer to a much deeper question: What is money, anyway?

To me the answer has always seemed simple: Money is what you exchange for goods and services. But plenty of people don't seem to be on the same page. You see many declare stubbornly that "gold is money," even though they can't go into McDonald's and use their gold collectible coins to buy a Big Mac. What these gold bugs mean is that in their view gold will hold its value during the long term. They predict that in 100 years they will be able to trade their gold collectible coins for whatever the dominant currency is then, and use that currency to buy about as many Big Macs as they could today if they sold their collectible coins for dollars.

But being a good long-term store of value isn't really a desirable characteristic in a currency. The reason this is true comes from a very deep fact in finance: the trade-off between risk and expected return. In general, if you want something whose value is stable in the short term, you will need to accept that it won't go up much--or may even go down--in the long term. If you want to build your wealth, you will have to accept some short-term fluctuations.

[...]

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2015/jun/28/volatile-bitcoin-still-isn-t-money-2015/

Perhaps rather than trying to completely conform to a traditional financial standpoint, Bitcoin should be more worried about taking advantage of the shortfalls and inefficiencies in the current system and capitalizing on markets that traditional finance just can't compete with. Fiat won't go away overnight, neither will debt based systems. The best we can do is offer a far superior alternative to the old system, smart people will get on board, others will stay in their comfort zone.

I think we should be moving away from the word stability, as deflationary currencies are designed for reliable value appreciation, not stability. I recently saw a comment about DNotes 30x value appreciation being far from stable, which is a valid point.

Thank you for bringing up this important issue, CryptoBroker79. The comment regarding our common characterization of DNotes as the most “stable” digital currency is a comment in response to my blog post “How we characterize Bitcoin is very Important” on LinkedIn (6-28-2015) as follows:

Zennon Kapron 1st

“Good commentary, but just to clarify, "appreciating 30 times" is not stable even in the crypto industry”.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-we-characterize-bitcoin-extremely-important-alan-yong

Alan's Response:

Mr. Kapron point that “appreciating 30 times" is not stable even in the crypto industry”
is totally valid.

Technically “stable” means remains the same,  solid, strong, steady, firm, sure, steadfast. In our case, for the lack of a better word, “stable” has been used as a part of our PR efforts to compare and contrast against the word “volatile” with a suggestive message that being stable is better than being volatile.  Let us know if you can think of a better word or a better way to describe DNotes favorable uptrend. I have attempted to associate it with “reliable long term appreciation with higher highs and high low”, a factually correct trend-line (http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/dnotes/#charts).

It is a great point, I personally have always viewed DNotes as a growth model, in terms of price, advancements, and user base. Much like companies such as Amazon, the goal is it to continue growing.

Neither volatile nor stable may not be the appropriate term to use, something like growth maybe more in line.

Here are my suggestions, someone may have already mentioned a few of these in passing.
-Resilient uptrend
-Stable price ascension

As for the website, DCEBrief.com looks great and your reasoning for the choice makes sense.

Thanks CryptoBroker79, those are great suggestions.

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2015, 12:00:23 AM

The Grexit issue is very concerning, I'm not entirely sure how anybody didn't see this possibility coming!!! Like, if you were Greek, wouldn't it have made sense to move your savings away from a Greek bank years ago to mitigate the risk of a total loss? It proves that Government backed Currencies are no safer than the new Digital Currencies.

I'm sure many did, invested in digital currency and commodities and possibly even foreign currency, but generally people tend to be complacent. The working class, with minimal savings, are likely suffering the most.

Dyna
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1060

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 03:25:18 AM

Agreed. The Grexit is very concerning. It will be nice if DNotes can be of some help.
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 03:33:25 AM

[...]

Zennon Kapron 1st

Alan's Response:

is totally valid.

-Resilient uptrend
-Stable price ascension

Thanks, we can use more suggestions. DCEBrief will be a very exciting project and of great value to our industry. Part of our success is to be able to address industry problems objectively and provide viable solutions.
Chase
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 01:16:26 PM

Happy Canada Day to my family, friends, the DNotes and CryptoMoms communities, everyone in cryptocurrency, and even the Canadian Senate! Wink Grin

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." -Albert Einstein-

DNotes EDU – Cryptocurrency Education For All – Accomplishments of 2018
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2015, 02:04:26 PM

Happy Canada Day to my family, friends, the DNotes and CryptoMoms communities, everyone in cryptocurrency, and even the Canadian Senate! Wink Grin

Happy Canada day to our friends in Canada, including the Canadian senate Cheesy

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2015, 02:04:57 PM

Silicon Dragon NY 2015: Spotlight - Digital Currencies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlgQ4xKqjwg

grandmama

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 05:09:35 PM

Little disappointed that DNotes was not mentioned and actually explained... especially the CRISP programs and the vault.  Guess there was not enough time for 4 people to explain indepth about all aspects of what they are doing. 
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 06:08:35 PM

Little disappointed that DNotes was not mentioned and actually explained... especially the CRISP programs and the vault.  Guess there was not enough time for 4 people to explain indepth about all aspects of what they are doing. 

It would have been better if we were given more time. I did have the opportunity to meet with a lot of people in smaller groups and stayed way beyond closing time. I have been kept very busy since the presentation. Our proposed new site DCEBrief.com is partly the result of this event. I came to the realization that many high level executives, including regulators and political leaders lack the time to learn about real issues confronting our industry. There is a serious "knowledge vacuum", causing significant confusion and loss of opportunities.

TeeGee is in the process of producing a number of Youtube videos. Let us know if you have any other suggestions. 
SmokeysGardens

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 06:39:21 PM

It would have been better if we were given more time. I did have the opportunity to meet with a lot of people in smaller groups and stayed way beyond closing time. I have been kept very busy since the presentation. Our proposed new site DCEBrief.com is partly the result of this event. I came to the realization that many high level executives, including regulators and political leaders lack the time to learn about real issues confronting our industry. There is a serious "knowledge vacuum", causing significant confusion and loss of opportunities.

TeeGee is in the process of producing a number of Youtube videos. Let us know if you have any other suggestions. 
     As usual, with events like this, the people you meet, and the ideas gained is very benificial. In my opinion, DCEBrief.com may be the single most important concept to come away with. It is brilliant. It helps overcome the some of biggest the problems with crypto-currency: Ignorance. Lack of knowledge on how it works. Mis-Information. Again, brilliant idea, Alan. Kudos.
     With that said, the moderator could have done a MUCH better job, taking up way too much of the panelists' precious time.

Smokey
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 07:21:00 PM

As usual, with events like this, the people you meet, and the ideas gained is very benificial. In my opinion, DCEBrief.com may be the single most important concept to come away with. It is brilliant. It helps overcome the some of biggest the problems with crypto-currency: Ignorance. Lack of knowledge on how it works. Mis-Information. Again, brilliant idea, Alan. Kudos.
     With that said, the moderator could have done a MUCH better job, taking up way too much of the panelists' precious time.

Smokey

Thanks, Kevin. DCBrief.com will become a huge contribution to our industry and a real valuable asset to the DNotes' ecosystem. We are consistently identifying industry problems and develop viable solutions to overcome those problems which otherwise will continue be obstacles to mass acceptance of digital currency.

Here is a good exercise for our community. What are the different industry problems DNotes has identified and the solutions it has introduced? You can name one or all. As a group I am certain that we can complete the exercise.
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2015, 08:36:52 PM

Melanie Shapiro is founder and CEO of the Case company. I'm not sure if I posted it previously, but case is a handheld bitcoin device that uses multi signature (user and third party have to sign the transaction) with built in mobile communication. I was pretty impressed with the device, take a look into it. Anyway, found this excellent write up based on a pseudo interview with Melanie Shapiro. It is really worth a read, covers most of the issues and benefits of digital currency. Here is a snippet, but I recommend reading the article.

Having My Mind Changed About Bitcoin: How Dr. Shapiro Did It

Melanie Shapiro worked me over with a series of soft/hard-edged quotes that shifted my opinion about Bitcoin dramatically.

I don't know about you, but I find quotations to be one of the finest learning tools around. My two favorite quotesters are Winston Churchill and Mark Twain. So I decided to use Melanie's quotes here to try and convert you if you're not a Bitcoin supporter and even if you are, Melanie's quotes will provide you with more ammunition.

"There's a lot of misconception about what bitcoin actually is due to media narratives. The most popular reference I hear mentioned is Silk Road, but Silk Road wasn't enabled by bitcoin. People forget or don't realize that Silk Road was enabled by Tor, an 'anonymizing' proxy network. Bitcoin isn't actually an anonymous currency it's pseudo-anonymous. Want to know what's anonymous? Cash."

"The math and technology behind the blockchain is difficult for most to understand, but the beauty is - you don't have to get it to use it. Do you really get how the internet works? TLS/SSL? DNS? HTTPS?"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/billrobinson/having-my-mind-changed-on_b_7613676.html

CryptoBroker79

Activity: 493
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 09:09:34 PM

Smokey

Thanks, Kevin. DCBrief.com will become a huge contribution to our industry and a real valuable asset to the DNotes' ecosystem. We are consistently identifying industry problems and develop viable solutions to overcome those problems which otherwise will continue be obstacles to mass acceptance of digital currency.

Here is a good exercise for our community. What are the different industry problems DNotes has identified and the solutions it has introduced? You can name one or all. As a group I am certain that we can complete the exercise.

Just to name a few:

-Volatility
-Long term saving incentive
-Negetive forum behavior
-Gender gap
-Ease of use
-Too many conflicting interests
-Attempting to reach out to everyday people
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 09:28:03 PM

Smokey

Just to name a few:

-Volatility
-Negative forum behavior
-Gender gap
-Ease of use

Excellent first pass. Keep adding and refining the list  with DNotes solutions. May be Wiser can write up the final version to be a DCEBrief.

wiser
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1029

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 11:41:22 PM

Just to name a few:

-Volatility
-Negative forum behavior
-Gender gap
-Ease of use

Excellent first pass. Keep adding and refining the list  with DNotes solutions. May be Wiser can write up the final version to be a DCEBrief.

I'm sure I could, as soon as I complete some projects I'm currently committed to Smiley

On a different note, who was the one who was selling the DNotes silver coins a few weeks ago? Could you please PM me?
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 01:16:46 AM

Just to name a few:

-Volatility
-Negative forum behavior
-Gender gap
-Ease of use

I'm sure I could, as soon as I complete some projects I'm currently committed to Smiley

On a different note, who was the one who was selling the DNotes silver coins a few weeks ago? Could you please PM me?

Thanks, Wiser. Check your email for the information you requested. Let me know if you need additional help.
wiser
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1029

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 01:46:22 AM

Just to name a few:

-Volatility
-Negative forum behavior
-Gender gap
-Ease of use

Thanks, Wiser. Check your email for the information you requested. Let me know if you need additional help.

You're welcome, and thanks, Dyna. Will do!
TeeGee

Activity: 846
Merit: 535

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 02:34:35 AM

Alright, so I'm planning on doing a few videos, I have planned to do several of them that are ~3 minutes in length. I've finally found somebody who has the appropriate equipment (a student at my university that I haven't met yet). Suffice to say, I'm looking for community involvement in the best DNotes topics to cover, comments on style of video (interview + randomly inserted shots of activities, people buying things with credit cards, shots of night markets / my city / my uni or what not to add interest), and the main points raised in each video for each topic.

Currently my preference is to film 3-4 interviews in the one day with more to come at a later date after reviews from the community on the first batch. The videos will be made with a focus for a US audience, and thankfully, I'm told my accent is not a identifiably kiwi one, I'm sometimes asked if I'm foreign, despite... only spending 1 week outside of New Zealand my whole life!!! That said, I won't try to emulate a US one.

To be the most help, people here could please add both questions that should be answered, but ALSO the topics that should be mentioned briefly in the answer.

What is Digital Currency, and what is DNotes? (can combine topics, or do separate videos)
What is Digital Currency? (describe Bitcoins rise etc)
What opportunities does Digital Currency provide? - Technology, instant payments at near no cost, be your own bank etc.. (makes a case to include DNotes in the same video)
Nobody controls the money supply - No political constraint on currency's success - not subject to regional economic turmoil - ie. Greece.
Privacy? - Mention? Touchy subject to some?

How is DNotes different?
Focus on reliable appreciation, stable long-term appreciation
Aims to simplify the current technical nature of Digital Currency
Cryptomoms.com - Female participation (under-represented), first of its kind...
DNotesVault - Guaranteed vault deposits, first of its kind, send crypto to e-mails...
CRISP programs - Employees, Retirement, Students...
Who founded DNotes - Business experience, Alan Yong (tech pioneer, Dauphin?, Smokey's Gardens)...

CRISP for Students
What is it and what is a CRISP?
Why is it needed and how does it plan to enrich student lives? - Capital appreciation
How does the plan work?
How do I get my university to participate? (that reminds me, still have to get in touch with my university to pilot!!!)

CRISP for Retirement
What is it and what is a CRISP?
Why is it needed? (insert simple, factually correct and pertinent statistics about US saving rates?)
How does the plan work?

Other topics that could be covered in this round are:
DNotesVault - how to use it etc,
Cryptomoms - what is it etc?
CRISP overview - etc.
Any more?

Let me know what you all think should be prioritised / included together. I do think that because I'm CRISP director for students, and I was initially going to do this specifically for CRISP for Students, that I should continue to include that as one of the topics covered in the first batch. Wanted to post some rough draft ideas before all the US / Canadian citizens here go to bed.

Pages: « 1 ... 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 [308] 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 ... 515 »
  Print  

Jump to: