Bitcoin Forum
May 15, 2024, 06:49:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 [437] 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 ... 515 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][NOTE]DNotes - Celebrating DNotes 3rd Birthday - Forum Now Open  (Read 814492 times)
RJF

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Online since '89...

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2016, 07:46:35 PM

There would be too much to quote here, this is a must read for everyone if you haven't come across it already, The resolution of the Bitcoin experiment by Mike Hearn. Fair warning, it is a bit disheartening to read but an important view point to consider from a former bitcoin core developer. Mike is clearly passionate and disappointed, even open source communities need good leadership that is not driven by greed and self interest.

I found it to be an emotional opinion from someone who clearly feels cheated. One man's opinion I suppose but, still good reading. As with most things in the tech world that have developed a following, Bitcoin and the underlying technology will continue on without him.

DNotesVault
“First, they ignore you. Then, they laugh at you. Then, they fight you. Then you win!” – Mahatma Gandhi 
Prepare for your future now, check out CRISP For Retirement and our complete family of CRISP savings plans.
wiser
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1029

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 09:00:51 PM

There would be too much to quote here, this is a must read for everyone if you haven't come across it already, The resolution of the Bitcoin experiment by Mike Hearn. Fair warning, it is a bit disheartening to read but an important view point to consider from a former bitcoin core developer. Mike is clearly passionate and disappointed, even open source communities need good leadership that is not driven by greed and self interest.

I don't think the main point here is that Bitcoin will fail. It is very likely to be replaced, though, by a cryptocurrency that actually does effectively address the issues.

Right now, Bitcoin is the most accepted channel for connecting crypto to USD (and other fiat currencies), but that could literally change overnight, especially if a renowned service like CoinBase starts offering DNote/fiat trades (or pick any other reputable altcoin). If it truly becomes easier for the customers and the business to go through a new altcoin/fiat channel, then that's what's going to happen. As the article indicates, the Coinbase people are primarily businessmen, and they will go with what works. If Bitcoin quits working, Coinbase and companies like it will still be around, just using something else. It's really that simple.

I personally think Bitcoin will be around for quite a while, but it's doubtful whether it will remain the primary cryptocurrency. Quite frankly, there are better options out there, and the only reason they aren't being fully utilized is that they haven't reached the necessary critical mass of people knowing about and adopting them. Once that critical mass is reached, Bitcoin will be displaced as the primary. It will then continue to be used for some niche uses (as many altcoins are used now), and its capacity will fall to about what its block size can actually handle.

If you've put all your eggs in the Bitcoin basket, then the news from this article is very sad. However, if you keep the big picture in mind (especially the overall altcoin landscape), then it's really not as big a deal as the author makes it sound. It doesn't seem any different to me than say the first computer company being displaced as the market leader by a newer one that does computers better. Happens all the time.
wiser
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 09:13:31 PM
Last edit: January 15, 2016, 10:06:58 PM by wiser

Wow! Mike Hearn's piece caused quite the media firestorm!

http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-branded-a-failure-as-media-erupts-over-mike-hearns-contentious-exit/

So much drama!

Edit: Here's a rebuttal piece: https://medium.com/@coreychambers1/the-resolution-of-the-bitcoin-experiment-a-rebuttal-to-mike-s-lengthy-obituary-bb1154f72b42#.4ouh1mjff
Dyna
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1060

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 12:00:46 AM

I don't think the main point here is that Bitcoin will fail. It is very likely to be replaced, though, by a cryptocurrency that actually does effectively address the issues.

Right now, Bitcoin is the most accepted channel for connecting crypto to USD (and other fiat currencies), but that could literally change overnight, especially if a renowned service like CoinBase starts offering DNote/fiat trades (or pick any other reputable altcoin). If it truly becomes easier for the customers and the business to go through a new altcoin/fiat channel, then that's what's going to happen. As the article indicates, the Coinbase people are primarily businessmen, and they will go with what works. If Bitcoin quits working, Coinbase and companies like it will still be around, just using something else. It's really that simple.

I personally think Bitcoin will be around for quite a while, but it's doubtful whether it will remain the primary cryptocurrency. Quite frankly, there are better options out there, and the only reason they aren't being fully utilized is that they haven't reached the necessary critical mass of people knowing about and adopting them. Once that critical mass is reached, Bitcoin will be displaced as the primary. It will then continue to be used for some niche uses (as many altcoins are used now), and its capacity will fall to about what its block size can actually handle.

If you've put all your eggs in the Bitcoin basket, then the news from this article is very sad. However, if you keep the big picture in mind (especially the overall altcoin landscape), then it's really not as big a deal as the author makes it sound. It doesn't seem any different to me than say the first computer company being displaced as the market leader by a newer one that does computers better. Happens all the time.

Technology always evolve and get better. There are many smart people in our industry capable of solving any technical problem, given the leadership and support, the lack of which is not helpful in the case of Bitcoin. However, Bitcoin is not going away anytime soon, though it may remain as a speculative trading vehicle, with limited use as a medium of exchange.

It is a massive undertaking to build a viable digital currency capable of meeting the full functions of money. In my opinion, the possibility of accomplishing such ultimate goal is remote, without strong leadership, commitment, and long term vision, working constructively as a group. Drama of this nature promotes a culture of "build and destroy" so prevalent in our industry.

kanus1113

Activity: 452
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 12:06:28 AM

Surprised more aren't talking about replace by fee. One of the biggest advantages for digital currency is paying for digital products and micro transactions, with instant transfer of funds and instant delivery, where you will be able to only change the fee amount but the receiving address is a huge issue for me. 0 confirmation transactions are no longer feasible with this type of change as it raises the risk of fraudulent transactions. Not saying that 0 confirmation transactions were't risky, but there is a certain level of acceptable risk. They are heading down the steep road of reversible transactions...
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 12:34:26 AM

Surprised more aren't talking about replace by fee. One of the biggest advantages for digital currency is paying for digital products and micro transactions, with instant transfer of funds and instant delivery, where you will be able to only change the fee amount but the receiving address is a huge issue for me. 0 confirmation transactions are no longer feasible with this type of change as it raises the risk of fraudulent transactions. Not saying that 0 confirmation transactions were't risky, but there is a certain level of acceptable risk. They are heading down the steep road of reversible transactions...

You are absolutely correct. Non-reversible transaction upon confirmation and nearly zero transaction fees are among the most attractive features of using digital currency as a medium of exchange. Once those features are removed, mass acceptance of Bitcoin will not be achievable in a million years.
wiser
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 12:42:41 AM

You are absolutely correct. Non-reversible transaction upon confirmation and nearly zero transaction fees are among the most attractive features of using digital currency as a medium of exchange. Once those features are removed, mass acceptance of Bitcoin will not be achievable in a million years.

Do you think mass acceptance of another coin, such as DNotes, is in any way dependent on mass acceptance of Bitcoin? Or could it happen independently? I personally am putting my money on independent mass acceptance of other altcoins.
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 02:21:56 AM

Do you think mass acceptance of another coin, such as DNotes, is in any way dependent on mass acceptance of Bitcoin? Or could it happen independently? I personally am putting my money on independent mass acceptance of other altcoins.

Mass acceptance of digital currency will not happen for another 5 to 10 years, and it is not dependent on Bitcoin being widely accepted as a medium of exchange. However, the digital currency that gained mass acceptance must be commonly used as a medium of exchange, meeting the full functions of money. Having said that, the success of Bitcoin is valuable in paving the way, creating the necessary ecosystem, like a Coinbase. As you correctly pointed, owners of Bitcoin ecosystem are business minded. They respond the best opportunities.

Currency stability is crucial as a medium of exchange in global commerce. For a variety of reasons DNotes is just as volatile as any other altcoin today. As it is, it's not a viable medium of exchange. In that sense, we are correct for not pushing DNotes as a form of payment.

Everything that we have been doing is to put DNotes on the best path to be a stable currency with reliable long term appreciation. We have plenty of work to do to make that happen. Once that is achieved DNotes will break out of the "sleeper mode" and get the attention of the likes of Coinbase. Until then, it is fine to fly below the radar.
wiser
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 02:33:49 AM

Mass acceptance of digital currency will not happen for another 5 to 10 years, and it is not dependent on Bitcoin being widely accepted as a medium of exchange. However, the digital currency that gained mass acceptance must be commonly used as a medium of exchange, meeting the full functions of money. Having said that, the success of Bitcoin is valuable in paving the way, creating the necessary ecosystem, like a Coinbase. As you correctly pointed, owners of Bitcoin ecosystem are business minded. They respond the best opportunities.

Currency stability is crucial as a medium of exchange in global commerce. For a variety of reasons DNotes is just as volatile as any other altcoin today. As it is, it's not a viable medium of exchange. In that sense, we are correct for not pushing DNotes as a form of payment.

Everything that we have been doing is to put DNotes on the best path to be a stable currency with reliable long term appreciation. We have plenty of work to do to make that happen. Once that is achieved DNotes will break out of the "sleeper mode" and get the attention of the likes of Coinbase. Until then, it is fine to fly below the radar.

As I have a whole bunch of DNotes currently locked up in various retirement accounts in the vault, five to ten more years of "flying below the radar" in anticipation of mass acceptance of digital currency is about perfect timing for me Smiley

Today's prices make for a fantastic buying opportunity, which I believe I will be taking advantage of in the next few days...
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 02:47:04 AM

As I have a whole bunch of DNotes currently locked up in various retirement accounts in the vault, five to ten more years of "flying below the radar" in anticipation of mass acceptance of digital currency is about perfect timing for me Smiley

Today's prices make for a fantastic buying opportunity, which I believe I will be taking advantage of in the next few days...

DNotes has been casting a very wide net. Frankly, our strategic positioning is not that easy to understand or appreciate.

wiser
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 03:02:08 AM

DNotes has been casting a very wide net. Frankly, our strategic positioning is not that easy to understand or appreciate.

I appreciate it--at least the part I do understand. I have not sold a DNote in at least six months. I'm in this for the long haul Smiley
CryptoBroker79

Activity: 493

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 03:28:54 AM

A reminder for everyone participating in FF4DC'S NFL Playoff Challenge, make sure to set your lineup before tomorrow!

If you forgot to set your lineup in the first week, I'd recommend picking players who were on a bye so you recieve a point multiplier to aid your comeback. If you forget to set your lineup this week, your chances of winning are all but over!

http://m.playoffchallenge.fantasy.nfl.com/group/241421
IMZ
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 07:39:14 AM

'Do you think mass acceptance of another coin, such as DNotes, is in any way dependent on mass acceptance of Bitcoin? Or could it happen independently?'

May I say 'both'? Bitcoin is 'running block' for us, Wiser: first-to-market. Once an individual, though, has some competency with Bitcoin, they may well consider other cryptos, and choose one of those.

And here is where I put in a plug for IndiaMikeZulu's model, P2P-friendly: if you set someone up with Not-Bitcoin as their first crypto, you then have a fine chance that they will both stick with that coin, and become part of its P2P/merchant network.

Have you noticed my constant interest in the altcoin-cap-to-Bitcoin-cap ratio? Your question is why I watch it. And just a couple of days ago, there were four cryptos running multi-mil-$ trading-volumes!

Mark (IndiaMikeZulu), Australia
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1111

DNotes

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2016, 03:25:08 PM

Blockchain Weekly Recap 1-16-2016

Bitcoin XT Misses Desired Consensus Deadline.
Blockchain’s Impact Examined at ESMA Financial Innovation Event.
Ethereum Developer Mandeleil: Blockchain Could Help Solve Identity Hacking.
Blockchain Timestamps Aid in Credit Card Fraud Battle.

http://dcebrief.com/blockchain-weekly-recap-1-16-2016/

CryptoBroker79

Activity: 493

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 03:31:16 PM

'Do you think mass acceptance of another coin, such as DNotes, is in any way dependent on mass acceptance of Bitcoin? Or could it happen independently?'

May I say 'both'? Bitcoin is 'running block' for us, Wiser: first-to-market. Once an individual, though, has some competency with Bitcoin, they may well consider other cryptos, and choose one of those.

And here is where I put in a plug for IndiaMikeZulu's model, P2P-friendly: if you set someone up with Not-Bitcoin as their first crypto, you then have a fine chance that they will both stick with that coin, and become part of its P2P/merchant network.

Have you noticed my constant interest in the altcoin-cap-to-Bitcoin-cap ratio? Your question is why I watch it. And just a couple of days ago, there were four cryptos running multi-mil-$ trading-volumes!

I've thought of this as a signifigant advantage for us at DNotes (and any other well managed altcoins). With Bitcoin to take the initial mainstream media firestorm for being different, DNotes can swoop in for the kill when the media is all tuckered out and loses the will to fight.
RJF

Activity: 616

Online since '89...

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2016, 03:39:01 PM

All markets are fundamentally alike. Do we all still drive Ford Model T cars? After the ground breaker has had some success, the innovators come out of the woods, happens all the time, everywhere. If you build a better mouse trap....

Bitcoin is exactly like the Model T. It's not the first but, it is the first SUCCESSFUL crypto.  Some people innitially saw both as a threat, some saw them as a amazing opportunity to change the future. Human nature will always trump the statistics and predictions, on both sides of any issue. Crypto, in some form, will always be with us far into the future. DNotes could well be the replacement for the Model T.

DNotesVault
“First, they ignore you. Then, they laugh at you. Then, they fight you. Then you win!” – Mahatma Gandhi 
Prepare for your future now, check out CRISP For Retirement and our complete family of CRISP savings plans.
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 05:30:41 PM

All markets are fundamentally alike. Do we all still drive Ford Model T cars? After the ground breaker has had some success, the innovators come out of the woods, happens all the time, everywhere. If you build a better mouse trap....

Bitcoin is exactly like the Model T. It's not the first but, it is the first SUCCESSFUL crypto.  Some people innitially saw both as a threat, some saw them as a amazing opportunity to change the future. Human nature will always trump the statistics and predictions, on both sides of any issue. Crypto, in some form, will always be with us far into the future. DNotes could well be the replacement for the Model T.

Thank you, RJF. That is a very good long term prospective of how technology evolves. To be successful, it is not necessary be the first person who came up with the idea and turned it into a product or service. Ford Model T. has evolved thousands of times into the huge selections of cars we have today. Two classic yellow daylily plants known to be purposely cross pollenated in the early 1950's has led to over 80,000 registered cultivars with an array of stunning colors. Smokeys Gardens alone has created thousands of new flowers. One day when I have more time, some of them will be registered and made available for sale.

Indeed, we all react to things differently; ranging from no reaction, threats or opportunities. Innovators and true entrepreneurs see imperfections and problems as opportunities. Often the bigger the problem, the greater the opportunity. I see Bitcoin as an amazing innovation with positive world changing implications. A few may agree with me but we all are seeing that, like Ford Model T, it is imperfect and much can be improved. DNotes is currently at the problem solving stage; the most boring of all to spectators. It is hard to see value when one can not envision what we are doing. Building the right infrastructure is hard work, time consuming and expensive. But to the outsiders, it may not even be worth the scrape value.

Bitcoin and the blockchain technology can be drastically improved and taken to a much higher level to the extend that it meets the full functions of money and subsequently be superior to money. That is DNotes long term vision and everything that we are doing are strategically aligned towards reaching that goal. We strongly believe this is the right approach to fully exploit a rare and historic innovation. We see the full value of the whole package and committed to make it a lot better one day. Others, like the bankers may think that a stripped down version is good enough. They are right. Even a stripped version is a great improvement over their current inefficient outdated system.

kold678

Activity: 240
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 06:19:40 PM

Still mining and holding but feeling a little under the weather when i see us go from an average of 5k sat to now sub 1k and falling... mining these is now just killing my power bill is there any thoughts on forking Dnotes to a pos system .. as i watch ETH moving to take bitcoins spot and give the top 1 percent the ability to take over the digital age of money its very disheartening. Bill Gates and there cronies shouldn't be able to run the new age monetary system.. sorry if i sound off ,but all i have done pretty much since dnotes came out was mine it so i kinda have pretty much all my eggs in one basket. I even got my dad on board for the last 10 months and now hes starting to come down on me so no pressure lol.

Thanks for all the hard work though everyone i know this isn't the outcome any of you have been looking for.  Lips sealed
wiser
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 06:30:12 PM

Still mining and holding but feeling a little under the weather when i see us go from an average of 5k sat to now sub 1k and falling... mining these is now just killing my power bill is there any thoughts on forking Dnotes to a pos system .. as i watch ETH moving to take bitcoins spot and give the top 1 percent the ability to take over the digital age of money its very disheartening. Bill Gates and there cronies shouldn't be able to run the new age monetary system.. sorry if i sound off ,but all i have done pretty much since dnotes came out was mine it so i kinda have pretty much all my eggs in one basket. I even got my dad on board for the last 10 months and now hes starting to come down on me so no pressure lol.

Thanks for all the hard work though everyone i know this isn't the outcome any of you have been looking for.  Lips sealed

It would stink to be mining DNotes right now if you have to sell some off to pay the power bill. Right now I'm sure it's way cheaper for you to just buy DNotes off the exchanges. Might want to turn your rigs off until the price gets better.

In the mean time, FANTASTIC DNotes buying opportunity. Working on a purchase order right now Smiley
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1111

DNotes

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2016, 07:08:58 PM

I appreciate your frustration kold, we feel it as well. On the bright side, you should be able to acquire more DNotes when mining at a lower market price as the price and hashrate reach equilibrium.

For now the only option we have is to put our nose to the grindstone. We have a plan and working furiously to execute it while maintaining everything we have built.

We appreciate everyone who has stuck with us this long, I find it inspiring in this industry and age of instant gratification that we have so many long term stake holders and supporters willing to stick it out. The DNotesVault is a shining example of just how much faith everyone has placed in DNotes, currently holding almost 20m DNotes in users accounts.

Pages: « 1 ... 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 [437] 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 ... 515 »
  Print  

Jump to: