Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 04:03:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 [442] 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 ... 515 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][NOTE]DNotes - Celebrating DNotes 3rd Birthday - Forum Now Open  (Read 814498 times)
Dyna
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1060

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 01:26:02 PM

It is very troubling to be reminded of the financial burden students are facing today: - $1.2 trillion in student loan debt with 7 students million in default. That is a lot of hardship, pain and suffering; not  even quantifiable. Somehow our system is messing up the future of a lot of people. In the heels of rather bleak global financial out-look, this is concerning.

The clamoring for forgiveness represents the fallout of a college-enrollment boom—driven by a surge in students attending for-profit colleges—that caused student debt to nearly triple in the past decade to $1.2 trillion, New York Federal Reserve figures show. Seven million Americans have defaulted, government data show.”

Nearly 7 million Americans have gone at least a year without making a payment on their federal student loans, a high level of default that suggests a widening swath of households are unable or unwilling to pay back their school debt.http://www.wsj.com/articles/about-7-million-americans-havent-paid-federal-student-loans-in-at-least-a-year-1440175645

Thousands Apply to U.S. to Forgive Their Student Loans, Saying Schools Defrauded Them

Borrowers owing $164 million have stepped forward in the past six months, citing a previously obscure federal law

Americans are flooding the government with appeals to have their student loans forgiven on the grounds that schools deceived them with false promises of a well-paying career—part of a growing protest against years of surging college costs.
In the past six months, more than 7,500 borrowers owing $164 million have applied to have their student debt expunged under an obscure federal law that had been applied only in three instances before last year. The law forgives debt for borrowers who prove their schools used illegal tactics to recruit them, such as by lying about their graduates’ earnings.

Read More:
http://www.wsj.com/articles/thousands-apply-to-u-s-to-forgive-their-student-loans-saying-schools-defrauded-them-1453285800?mod=trending_now_1
wiser
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1029

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 03:35:33 PM

From 3k sats to 900 sats. What happened? Did some of the devs decided to dump?

Who knows? I want to buy more, so this isn't so bad. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that DNotes is a long term hold, and really no good for speculating. A lot of people who hang out on exchanges are there to speculate.

The other thing is that I think it's tough for a coin's infrastructure to keep up with its supply increase, especially at the beginning. DNotes infrastructure has more development to do, and once that happens, price will catch up again.
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1111

DNotes

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2016, 03:48:09 PM

http://dcebrief.com/can-cryptocurrency-really-help-unbanked-populations/

Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 04:08:12 PM

Who knows? I want to buy more, so this isn't so bad. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that DNotes is a long term hold, and really no good for speculating. A lot of people who hang out on exchanges are there to speculate.

The other thing is that I think it's tough for a coin's infrastructure to keep up with its supply increase, especially at the beginning. DNotes infrastructure has more development to do, and once that happens, price will catch up again.

Thank you Wiser. I remember saying something the first month of DNotes launch to the effect that the "real value of DNotes is in the future". That statement still hold true today. Like everyone else,  I often wonder how could DNotes possibly be trading at sub 1K sat? "Who knows?" is as good as any answer.

However, I may add that DNotes has done so much, we have reached the point that most people barely keep up with  what we are doing, especially in a noisy and confusing industry. So DNotes is priced like other  cryptocurrency without any infrastructure. This is a growing pain for those who are invested for the long term. By the end of this year, investors will see DNotes in a very different light.
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2016, 04:54:16 PM
Last edit: January 21, 2016, 05:07:40 PM by DNotes

Thank you Wiser. I remember saying something the first month of DNotes launch to the effect that the "real value of DNotes is in the future". That statement still hold true today. Like everyone else,  I often wonder how could DNotes possibly be trading at sub 1K sat? "Who knows?" is as good as any answer.

However, I may add that DNotes has done so much, we have reached the point that most people barely keep up with  what we are doing, especially in a noisy and confusing industry. So DNotes is priced like other  cryptocurrency without any infrastructure. This is a growing pain for those who are invested for the long term. By the end of this year, investors will see DNotes in a very different light.

In addition to Dyna's responses I wanted to add that "dumping", to me, implies driving the price the down with malicious intent to make a profit. Dumping is a huge problem in our industry and the DNotes team will not participate in it.

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2016, 05:23:41 PM

Come across this one today, it is a great message, all of the problems we see today are solvable in one way or another. I think many people see cryptocurrency as it is today and feel these problems are too difficult to solve. The technology itself is one many have claimed to be impossible.

AndreasMAntonopoulos
‏@aantonop
"Bitcoin's invention was an engineering solution to a governance problem. We can solve bitcoin's governance challenges with more engineering"

https://twitter.com/aantonop/status/688111075389120518

Chase
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 06:45:09 PM

Thank you Wiser. I remember saying something the first month of DNotes launch to the effect that the "real value of DNotes is in the future". That statement still hold true today. Like everyone else,  I often wonder how could DNotes possibly be trading at sub 1K sat? "Who knows?" is as good as any answer.

In addition to Dyna's responses I wanted to add that "dumping", to me, implies driving the price the down with malicious intent to make a profit. Dumping is a huge problem in our industry and the DNotes team will not participate in it.

Some people in the industry brag about 'getting in' on the next pump & dump like it is a badge of honor. They probably don't realize (or are so morally bankrupt that they don't care) that pump and dump is a type of securities fraud punishable with up to 5 years in jail (per offence) and possible fines of $10,000 or more.

The definition of Pump and Dump in DNotesEDU is as follows:

A form of securities fraud in which misleading information is released in order to inflate the value of a particular investment.  The 'perpetrators then 'dump' their overvalued holding on new investors.

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." -Albert Einstein-

DNotes EDU – Cryptocurrency Education For All – Accomplishments of 2018
wiser
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1029

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 06:58:54 PM

Some people in the industry brag about 'getting in' on the next pump & dump like it is a badge of honor. They probably don't realize (or are so morally bankrupt that they don't care) that pump and dump is a type of securities fraud punishable with up to 5 years in jail (per offence) and possible fines of $10,000 or more.

A form of securities fraud in which misleading information is released in order to inflate the value of a particular investment.  The 'perpetrators then 'dump' their overvalued holding on new investors.

It seems in our industry, a lot of times, these things just happen. The price starts going up and people get into a buying frenzy, and others take advantage of the temporary high to take some profits. I don't think in these cases anyone is being malicious and the people who sell at the top aren't necessarily doing anything wrong, though the people who get caught up in the buying frenzy do often get caught holding an asset that is rapidly losing value. Obviously, when the pump happens because of deliberate misleading information, that is a problem, but sometimes it's just that the price goes up one day and draws in more buyers. I think to some extent it's part of the speculating mentality, where people buy and sell not based on the coin's fundamentals, but based on the desire to make quick profits.
Chase
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 07:18:41 PM

It seems in our industry, a lot of times, these things just happen. The price starts going up and people get into a buying frenzy, and others take advantage of the temporary high to take some profits. I don't think in these cases anyone is being malicious and the people who sell at the top aren't necessarily doing anything wrong, though the people who get caught up in the buying frenzy do often get caught holding an asset that is rapidly losing value. Obviously, when the pump happens because of deliberate misleading information, that is a problem, but sometimes it's just that the price goes up one day and draws in more buyers. I think to some extent it's part of the speculating mentality, where people buy and sell not based on the coin's fundamentals, but based on the desire to make quick profits.

I'm not talking about buying low and selling high - that's just good investing. If the price is going up (for whatever reason), you are entitled to sell, but if you contributed to the misleading information to get the price to rise, you are guilty of fraud.

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." -Albert Einstein-

Chase
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 07:35:49 PM

Great job Nick! 

Step aside banks and let cryptocurrency fix things.  Wink

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2016, 09:49:29 PM

Nick does an excellent job. One thing I hadn't realized until reading this article, was that they may not want to be part of "the system":

"One of the major issues with this is that the unbanked wish to remain anonymous. This could be for a number of reasons: lack of “legal status,” fear or distrust of the banking system, etc. Bank regulations are turning unbanked people off, and the only way to stop this is by opening up the networks and allowing them to be transparent. Allowing money to move anonymously helps poor workers, not criminals and terrorists."

IMZ
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 02:09:51 AM

'Some people in the industry brag about 'getting in' on the next pump & dump like it is a badge of honor.'

Yup! Planet Krypto got sociopaths by the limo-ful; and in late 2013, it was seen as naive to be honest and oriented to the long-term, to be focused on anything except grabbing a chunk of the capital already in 'the bell jar.' But a great sorting-of-the-wheat-from-the-chaff is underway, Chase!

The collapse of Cryptsy will terminate dozens of the dross cryptos of that era.

The number of new cryptos is only now a trickle -- you can no longer successfully launch scam-coins on a daily basis.

ICOs/IPOs ('pre-mines') are now, with their public support by trusted developers and venture capitalists, no longer the indicator of unsoundness that they once were.

Many coins have found their feet by dint of perseverance; they have 12- and 18- and 24-months of price-stability.

Ian and I now readily omit from our analyses of coins the 'debut-era data.' If a coin is two or more years old, we look primarily at its community, its development program, and for price stability its last 'year-plus' of data.

Planet Krypto remains the Wild West, but things are steadily improving; and as Disraeli says, 'All things come to him who waits -- if he labors while he waits, and knows what he is waiting for.'

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2016, 03:37:43 AM

'Some people in the industry brag about 'getting in' on the next pump & dump like it is a badge of honor.'

Yup! Planet Krypto got sociopaths by the limo-ful; and in late 2013, it was seen as naive to be honest and oriented to the long-term, to be focused on anything except grabbing a chunk of the capital already in 'the bell jar.' But a great sorting-of-the-wheat-from-the-chaff is underway, Chase!

The number of new cryptos is only now a trickle -- you can no longer successfully launch scam-coins on a daily basis.

ICOs/IPOs ('pre-mines') are now, with their public support by trusted developers and venture capitalists, no longer the indicator of unsoundness that they once were.

Many coins have found their feet by dint of perseverance; they have 12- and 18- and 24-months of price-stability.

Ian and I now readily omit from our analyses of coins the 'debut-era data.' If a coin is two or more years old, we look primarily at its community, its development program, and for price stability its last 'year-plus' of data.

Planet Krypto remains the Wild West, but things are steadily improving; and as Disraeli says, 'All things come to him who waits -- if he labors while he waits, and knows what he is waiting for.'

"Planet Krypto remains the Wild West, but things are steadily improving"

That is an important observation, there is a long way to go yet, but progress is being made.

Great quote too by the way, I haven't heard that one 'All things come to him who waits -- if he labors while he waits, and knows what he is waiting for.'

Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 03:46:29 AM

"{Planet Krypto remains the Wild West, but things are steadily improving; and as Disraeli says, 'All things come to him who waits -- if he labors while he waits, and knows what he is waiting for.'}"

That is an accurate statement and a wise quote. Human greed and the Wild West nature of our industry will not be going away any time soon. We will keep up with the hard work while advancing forward whether we are being noticed or not.
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2016, 03:39:07 PM

Bitcoin Weekly Recap 1-22-2016

Annual TNABC Held in Miami.
Gatecoin Added to SuperCharger Accelerator.
CoinTree Adds Recurring Bitcoin Purchase Option.
International DD4BC Ransom Investigation Yields Two Arrests.
Chinese Citizens Warned to Avoid MMM Global Scheme.
San Francisco Bay Area Tops New List of Bitcoin-Friendly Cities.
Jamie Dimon Still Hates Bitcoin…

http://dcebrief.com/bitcoin-weekly-recap-1-22-2016/

Chase
Legendary

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 03:40:11 PM

Is mainstream media finally seeing things clearly?

From Newsweek:

BITCOIN: TOO BIG TO FAIL

The death of bitcoin has been proclaimed once again. Prominent developer Mike Hearn’s recent comments that the bitcoin experiment was over mark the 89th time the digital currency has been pronounced dead since it first launched in 2009, at least according to one website dedicated to tracking bitcoin obituaries. While it's sad to see a talented programmer like Hearn turn his back on bitcoin, there are still thousands of people working on making the world’s first digital currency a success.

The bitcoin network has been running without interruption for seven years now; a feat no banking system can claim. Bitcoin and its underlying blockchain technology—an online ledger that records every bitcoin transaction—represent a fundamental innovation that can dramatically speed up transaction times. The first step is replacing our need for financial middlemen. Next, we can restructure notaries, land registries, stock markets and much more.

People have criticised bitcoin for its price fluctuations but there are applications now that lock the value of bitcoin to dollars, euros or gold; people have insinuated it could be used by drugs or arms dealers operating on the dark web even though the U.K. Government said bitcoin was the least likely funding tool for criminality; people have worried that regulation might discourage innovation. Meanwhile bitcoin continues to grow.

Hearn’s criticisms that the bitcoin network isn’t set up to support the ever-increasing number of transactions performed on it is more a reflection of the currency’s success. It’s true that if bitcoin keeps growing as quickly as it has in the past few months parts of the network will need to be upgraded. This is a good problem to have.

What began as a small experiment is now a rapidly expanding ecosystem. There are so many people using it now that we have to plan for more capacity. It was never a secret that the software powering bitcoin would have to get upgraded occasionally—just like the software on your iPhone. Let’s look at the data. According to Bloomberg, bitcoin was the best performing currency in 2015. Why? More than 5 million new users started transacting in bitcoin last year alone. More importantly, the total transaction volume has more than doubled over the past 12 months.

The Bitcoin blockchain will catalyze innovation over the coming years. As citizens of the internet we demand transparency and ease of use. In 2016 people expect to be able to send money over the internet as quickly and cheaply as sending an email. The fact that it still takes several days to send an international money transfer is a throwback to yesteryear. Bitcoin solves that problem.

This currency is not a “failed experiment”, as Hearn suggested. Our firm, Blockchain (a bitcoin wallet provider), had its best month yet in December. All successful projects face problems as they grow, thankfully there are a multitude of brilliant minds working to solve them. In five years, hundreds of millions of users will be sending money on the internet as easily as they send chats, and the only obituaries being written will be those of the traditional banks.

http://www.newsweek.com/bitcoin-too-big-fail-418481

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2016, 04:31:08 PM

Is mainstream media finally seeing things clearly?

From Newsweek:

BITCOIN: TOO BIG TO FAIL

The death of bitcoin has been proclaimed once again. Prominent developer Mike Hearn’s recent comments that the bitcoin experiment was over mark the 89th time the digital currency has been pronounced dead since it first launched in 2009, at least according to one website dedicated to tracking bitcoin obituaries. While it's sad to see a talented programmer like Hearn turn his back on bitcoin, there are still thousands of people working on making the world’s first digital currency a success.

The bitcoin network has been running without interruption for seven years now; a feat no banking system can claim. Bitcoin and its underlying blockchain technology—an online ledger that records every bitcoin transaction—represent a fundamental innovation that can dramatically speed up transaction times. The first step is replacing our need for financial middlemen. Next, we can restructure notaries, land registries, stock markets and much more.

People have criticised bitcoin for its price fluctuations but there are applications now that lock the value of bitcoin to dollars, euros or gold; people have insinuated it could be used by drugs or arms dealers operating on the dark web even though the U.K. Government said bitcoin was the least likely funding tool for criminality; people have worried that regulation might discourage innovation. Meanwhile bitcoin continues to grow.

Hearn’s criticisms that the bitcoin network isn’t set up to support the ever-increasing number of transactions performed on it is more a reflection of the currency’s success. It’s true that if bitcoin keeps growing as quickly as it has in the past few months parts of the network will need to be upgraded. This is a good problem to have.

What began as a small experiment is now a rapidly expanding ecosystem. There are so many people using it now that we have to plan for more capacity. It was never a secret that the software powering bitcoin would have to get upgraded occasionally—just like the software on your iPhone. Let’s look at the data. According to Bloomberg, bitcoin was the best performing currency in 2015. Why? More than 5 million new users started transacting in bitcoin last year alone. More importantly, the total transaction volume has more than doubled over the past 12 months.

The Bitcoin blockchain will catalyze innovation over the coming years. As citizens of the internet we demand transparency and ease of use. In 2016 people expect to be able to send money over the internet as quickly and cheaply as sending an email. The fact that it still takes several days to send an international money transfer is a throwback to yesteryear. Bitcoin solves that problem.

This currency is not a “failed experiment”, as Hearn suggested. Our firm, Blockchain (a bitcoin wallet provider), had its best month yet in December. All successful projects face problems as they grow, thankfully there are a multitude of brilliant minds working to solve them. In five years, hundreds of millions of users will be sending money on the internet as easily as they send chats, and the only obituaries being written will be those of the traditional banks.

http://www.newsweek.com/bitcoin-too-big-fail-418481

Great find Chase! "Is mainstream media finally seeing things clearly?" Given the success of digital currency it is only a matter of time before the media gets on board.

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2016, 09:03:01 PM

This was a pretty interesting article, The Dangers of a Blockchain Monoculture, from Tony Arcieri (software engineer and cybersecurity expert working on the the Platform Security Team at Square). Fair warning, it's a lengthy article, and I got sucked into reading the entire article. There are many interesting insights, especially in his conclusions.

"I feel “blockchain technology” has not delivered a lot of practical value: compared to most payment systems, the value bitcoin moves, and the transaction rate, are both rather insignificant (and bitcoin is all that matters – all other blockchain-based systems move practically nothing by comparison)."

"I worry the media are giving undue attention to questionable ideas simply because there’s a lot of "buzz around blockchain"."

I quoted these two as I feel there will be many important uses for blockchain technology and we have only begun to scratch the surface of what that might be, but I believe digital currency is the most important.

kanus1113

Activity: 452
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 22, 2016, 11:35:30 PM

Bitcoin Weekly Recap 1-22-2016

Annual TNABC Held in Miami.
Gatecoin Added to SuperCharger Accelerator.
CoinTree Adds Recurring Bitcoin Purchase Option.
International DD4BC Ransom Investigation Yields Two Arrests.
Chinese Citizens Warned to Avoid MMM Global Scheme.
San Francisco Bay Area Tops New List of Bitcoin-Friendly Cities.
Jamie Dimon Still Hates Bitcoin…

http://dcebrief.com/bitcoin-weekly-recap-1-22-2016/

"CoinTree Adds Recurring Bitcoin Purchase Option.

Customers who have been looking for a way to use their bank accounts to make recurring Bitcoin purchases will soon have that option. The Australian exchange CoinTree recently announced that the recurring purchase feature will be added to its services beginning on January 26, 2016. The new option fulfills some customers’ desire to actively acquire the cryptocurrency on a steady, gradual basis, enabling them to continually expand their holdings without regard to the ups and downs of the market. To protect its customers, the exchange is also implementing set intervals between purchases, and limiting the amount of each purchase to no more than AUD $200."

Sounds good for DNotesVault. Cool option DNotes could adopt when it becomes easier to purchase directly.

infovortice2013
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2016, 11:52:27 PM

Its posibility to add DNotes to https://www.cryptopia.co.nz/Lotto  using whatever timeframe , just cost 1.000.000 DOT can be funny for comunitty

you think we can make a crowfunding to add i can put 100k dot
Pages: « 1 ... 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 [442] 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 ... 515 »
  Print  

Jump to: