Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 06:25:29 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 [485] 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][NOTE]DNotes - Celebrating DNotes 3rd Birthday - Forum Now Open  (Read 814498 times)
RJF19

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

AKA RJF - Since '14 - On line since '84

View Profile
March 30, 2016, 06:03:01 PM

The new membership site is almost ready. Feel free to take a look and comment.

https://fourpillarsofbusinesssuccess.com/

The new site looks fantastic!!

The membership fee for the entire first year is only $1 - awesome!

All that hard work is about to pay off.  Smiley

Thanks Chase.

Yep, the first year we will be building content and creating value.

It's getting really close now! This will help launch DNotes into the next phase of it's progression.

Nice work Joe, REALLY nice work!

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. Thomas A. Edison
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1111

DNotes

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2016, 06:17:21 PM

Thanks Chase.

It's getting really close now! This will help launch DNotes into the next phase of it's progression.

Thank you RJF!

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2016, 12:09:50 AM

Pretty interesting article, valuing Bitcoin at $655. I don't know if this is an accurate measurement, but may be worth looking into.

Investment bank and asset management firm Needham & Company has released a report that concludes that bitcoin is currently undervalued by 58% based on today's price.

The report values bitcoin at $655, compared to about $412 today and advises that investors buy shares in the Bitcoin Investment Trust (GBTC), a vehicle for speculators to invest in bitcoin without actually buying and holding the asset.

Currently, there is $74bn worth of gold held in exchange-traded funds (ETFs) around the world, according to the numbers used in the report. Of bitcoin’s market cap of $6.3bn, Bogart estimates roughly 75%, or $4.8bn consists of money being treated as an investment.

That’s 6% of the value of gold ETFs, the report said, a number which the investment bank predicts could increase 25% by 2020.

Bogart used the percentage of bitcoins currently being held as an investment and compared it to investment in gold ETFs to calculate the estimated value of $655.

http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-undervalued-200-needham-report/

Chase
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 31, 2016, 12:59:07 AM

Pretty interesting article, valuing Bitcoin at $655. I don't know if this is an accurate measurement, but may be worth looking into.

Investment bank and asset management firm Needham & Company has released a report that concludes that bitcoin is currently undervalued by 58% based on today's price.

The report values bitcoin at $655, compared to about $412 today and advises that investors buy shares in the Bitcoin Investment Trust (GBTC), a vehicle for speculators to invest in bitcoin without actually buying and holding the asset.

Currently, there is $74bn worth of gold held in exchange-traded funds (ETFs) around the world, according to the numbers used in the report. Of bitcoin’s market cap of $6.3bn, Bogart estimates roughly 75%, or $4.8bn consists of money being treated as an investment.

That’s 6% of the value of gold ETFs, the report said, a number which the investment bank predicts could increase 25% by 2020.

Bogart used the percentage of bitcoins currently being held as an investment and compared it to investment in gold ETFs to calculate the estimated value of $655.

I've read this a few times (because it wasn't sinking in - lol), and it still doesn't add up to me. Just because bitcoin is 6% of the value of gold ETFs now, doesn't mean it will be 6% in 2020 when "the investment bank" predicts gold ETFs to increase in value by 25%. If there was a long history with a direct correlation, maybe, but for now it seems like a strange (and presumptuous) method to estimate value.

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." -Albert Einstein-

DNotes EDU – Cryptocurrency Education For All – Accomplishments of 2018
Chase
Legendary

View Profile
March 31, 2016, 01:02:51 AM

Manage your own retirement with a CRISP, because your previous employers may lose your pension!!

The Case of the Missing Pension

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-03-24/the-case-of-the-missing-pension

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." -Albert Einstein-

Dyna
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1060

View Profile
March 31, 2016, 01:30:33 AM

I've read this a few times (because it wasn't sinking in - lol), and it still doesn't add up to me. Just because bitcoin is 6% of the value of gold ETFs now, doesn't mean it will be 6% in 2020 when "the investment bank" predicts gold ETFs to increase in value by 25%. If there was a long history with a direct correlation, maybe, but for now it seems like a strange (and presumptuous) method to estimate value.

I would not make an investment based on their model. I certainly can not make much sense out of it. One can easily argue that Bitcoin is 90% overvalued or 90% undervalued. This is a high risk investment with potentially high return. It is true with Bitcoin as much as it is true with DNotes. Invest with caution and only invest what you can afford in the event of a worst case or total loss.

Having said that it is important to stayed informed.
RJF19

Activity: 420

AKA RJF - Since '14 - On line since '84

View Profile
March 31, 2016, 01:17:59 PM

Same here. I think they are "grasping at straws" and, I don't think you can directly apply old methods of valuation to crypto. Over the years we have heard everything from 2000 USD to 0 USD per Bitcoin always backed up with some analysis borrowed from the Fiat world. Honestly, I don't think crypto has been "in the wild" long enough to really do any kind of definitive analysis on its future value.

For example, look at any chart someone's throwing out there to back up their analysis of the future of any coin. All borrowed from the stock or commodities  markets. Ever seen one that was even close to being correct after the fact? Smoke and mirrors my Grandfather used to say, smoke and mirrors. In the words of the ever eloquent Popeye, "I am what I am" and that's all we know for sure, for now...  Grin

PS: When was the last time an "investment bank" predicted anything that actually happened!

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. Thomas A. Edison
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2016, 01:57:41 PM

http://dcebrief.com/the-financial-industry-continues-its-focus-on-blockchain/

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2016, 04:16:49 PM

Same here. I think they are "grasping at straws" and, I don't think you can directly apply old methods of valuation to crypto. Over the years we have heard everything from 2000 USD to 0 USD per Bitcoin always backed up with some analysis borrowed from the Fiat world. Honestly, I don't think crypto has been "in the wild" long enough to really do any kind of definitive analysis on its future value.

For example, look at any chart someone's throwing out there to back up their analysis of the future of any coin. All borrowed from the stock or commodities  markets. Ever seen one that was even close to being correct after the fact? Smoke and mirrors my Grandfather used to say, smoke and mirrors. In the words of the ever eloquent Popeye, "I am what I am" and that's all we know for sure, for now...  Grin

PS: When was the last time an "investment bank" predicted anything that actually happened!

Makes sense, sounds like they have a vested interest in the value of Bitcoin anyway.

Chase
Legendary

View Profile
March 31, 2016, 05:17:00 PM

I just found this on H&R Block's Dollars & Sense blog for teens. This is the first time I've seen them address cryptocurrency and they did it in a factual and no-nonsense way. I am very impressed that they formed their own opinion and encouraged teens to give it a try.

Who’s a Bitcoin and Where Can I Facebook Him?

Have you ever heard your teens talking about Bitcoin and thought, “Oh, great—not another video game”?

If so, then you’ve been greatly misinformed. Yes, Bitcoin is a product of the Internet age and is used solely within the digital sphere, but it is not a video game. It’s also not a social media platform, mobile app or new dance craze.

Bitcoin is a form of digital currency—a.k.a. cryptocurrency—created and held electronically that operates independently of a central bank and its regulations. Being that it’s a decentralized currency free from the control of one institution or government, its value is derived from the relationship between its supply and demand. (As opposed to the dollar whose value is based on the commodity it represents—gold.)

This is all very confusing and quite abstract, we understand. But the simple truth is that teens can buy and use Bitcoin on the Internet to purchase just about anything. There are no age restrictions in place to purchase Bitcoins, and for a younger generation that operates almost exclusively on the Internet, it’s more than likely they’ll come across an opportunity to get involved with it.

So what should you, the parent, know about Bitcoin? We’ve distilled the info and packaged it into bite-sized pros and cons.

Pros:

Allows teens to make purchases online
In most jurisdictions, an individual must be 18 years of age to make a purchase on online. That means your teen will either get a hold of your credit card with no restrictions (yikes!) or you’ll have to monitor each and every purchase (also yikes!). With Bitcoin, a teen can spend a specific amount and receive a corresponding amount of bitcoins in return, regardless of age. There’s no immediate risk of overspending.

Teaches teens practical personal financial skills
Budgeting is engrained in this system. Teens have to decide what is worthy of their bitcoins. Additionally, all bitcoins are encrypted with the history of each and every purchase, meaning frivolous purchases will never be forgotten and hopefully can teach meaningful lessons. This system of spending also provides more independence, which might work well with some teens that resent being constantly monitored by parents.

Encourages entrepreneurships

Teens can actually earn bitcoins using their skills—just like a job. The Internet isn’t as ageist as the real world, so if a 13 year old can do computer programming as good or better than a 35 year old, then they can be hired and paid in Bitcoin. Freelance writers, gamers and programmers are regularly being paid in Bitcoin for their services. The value of ability and competence is valued more highly in this space than experience/wisdom/degrees.

Cons:

The dollar value of bitcoins is volatile
Fluctuation is the name of the game here. Within a two-year span, the price of Bitcoin went from under $100 to over $1,000. The current price of Bitcoin on the market as of this writing it $375. What this means in normal person terms: a bitcoin that bought you a DVD on Amazon yesterday won’t necessarily be able to buy you a piece of gum tomorrow. Additionally, there is only a finite amount available. This gets complex as well, but the basic fact is there will only ever be 21 million bitcoins in existence, with close to 15 million of them still unreleased to the general public.

Only 2 percent of merchants currently accept Bitcoin
That 2 percent equates to 160,000 digital merchants, so there are places to use Bitcoin. It’s frustrating, but don’t expect to be able to use it everywhere. Additionally, if more merchants don’t begin adopting Bitcoin payment, the overall value could potentially take a hit.

Can be used for not-so-reputable dealings
While some see and use Bitcoin as a way to fund some shady dealings, the big picture view is that they’re better used as an investment tool. Some analysts have made optimistic predictions that by 2025 one Bitcoin will be worth $17,473. That would provide a handsome return to current Bitcoin owners.

However, your teen can still use Bitcoin for smaller payment transactions. It’s a fun foray into money management that could give them insight into an emerging form of currency that could very well become commonplace in our society.

http://www.hrblockdollarsandsense.com/ideas-info-for/parents/explaining-cryptocurrency/

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2016, 05:18:41 PM

Thanks Chase.

Thank you RJF!

By the way, in the book preview, there is a chapter by chapter summary on the site. It needs a touch of tweaking yet, but it should give anyone a good breakdown.

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2016, 05:24:23 PM

I just found this on H&R Block's Dollars & Sense blog for teens. This is the first time I've seen them address cryptocurrency and they did it in a factual and no-nonsense way. I am very impressed that they formed their own opinion and encouraged teens to give it a try.

Who’s a Bitcoin and Where Can I Facebook Him?

Have you ever heard your teens talking about Bitcoin and thought, “Oh, great—not another video game”?

If so, then you’ve been greatly misinformed. Yes, Bitcoin is a product of the Internet age and is used solely within the digital sphere, but it is not a video game. It’s also not a social media platform, mobile app or new dance craze.

Bitcoin is a form of digital currency—a.k.a. cryptocurrency—created and held electronically that operates independently of a central bank and its regulations. Being that it’s a decentralized currency free from the control of one institution or government, its value is derived from the relationship between its supply and demand. (As opposed to the dollar whose value is based on the commodity it represents—gold.)

This is all very confusing and quite abstract, we understand. But the simple truth is that teens can buy and use Bitcoin on the Internet to purchase just about anything. There are no age restrictions in place to purchase Bitcoins, and for a younger generation that operates almost exclusively on the Internet, it’s more than likely they’ll come across an opportunity to get involved with it.

So what should you, the parent, know about Bitcoin? We’ve distilled the info and packaged it into bite-sized pros and cons.

Pros:

Allows teens to make purchases online
In most jurisdictions, an individual must be 18 years of age to make a purchase on online. That means your teen will either get a hold of your credit card with no restrictions (yikes!) or you’ll have to monitor each and every purchase (also yikes!). With Bitcoin, a teen can spend a specific amount and receive a corresponding amount of bitcoins in return, regardless of age. There’s no immediate risk of overspending.

Teaches teens practical personal financial skills
Budgeting is engrained in this system. Teens have to decide what is worthy of their bitcoins. Additionally, all bitcoins are encrypted with the history of each and every purchase, meaning frivolous purchases will never be forgotten and hopefully can teach meaningful lessons. This system of spending also provides more independence, which might work well with some teens that resent being constantly monitored by parents.

Encourages entrepreneurships

Teens can actually earn bitcoins using their skills—just like a job. The Internet isn’t as ageist as the real world, so if a 13 year old can do computer programming as good or better than a 35 year old, then they can be hired and paid in Bitcoin. Freelance writers, gamers and programmers are regularly being paid in Bitcoin for their services. The value of ability and competence is valued more highly in this space than experience/wisdom/degrees.

Cons:

The dollar value of bitcoins is volatile
Fluctuation is the name of the game here. Within a two-year span, the price of Bitcoin went from under $100 to over $1,000. The current price of Bitcoin on the market as of this writing it $375. What this means in normal person terms: a bitcoin that bought you a DVD on Amazon yesterday won’t necessarily be able to buy you a piece of gum tomorrow. Additionally, there is only a finite amount available. This gets complex as well, but the basic fact is there will only ever be 21 million bitcoins in existence, with close to 15 million of them still unreleased to the general public.

Only 2 percent of merchants currently accept Bitcoin
That 2 percent equates to 160,000 digital merchants, so there are places to use Bitcoin. It’s frustrating, but don’t expect to be able to use it everywhere. Additionally, if more merchants don’t begin adopting Bitcoin payment, the overall value could potentially take a hit.

Can be used for not-so-reputable dealings
While some see and use Bitcoin as a way to fund some shady dealings, the big picture view is that they’re better used as an investment tool. Some analysts have made optimistic predictions that by 2025 one Bitcoin will be worth $17,473. That would provide a handsome return to current Bitcoin owners.

However, your teen can still use Bitcoin for smaller payment transactions. It’s a fun foray into money management that could give them insight into an emerging form of currency that could very well become commonplace in our society.

http://www.hrblockdollarsandsense.com/ideas-info-for/parents/explaining-cryptocurrency/

Good article and great title lol. I'm glad they are targeting parents to get their teens involved. Digital currency will likely be widely used by the time they start to join the workforce.

kanus1113

Activity: 452

View Profile
March 31, 2016, 05:59:40 PM

Enjoyed this article, though a bit older... http://www.coindesk.com/land-1000-bitcoin-wallets/ Explicit language warning for those of you at work, but the overall message was good.
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
March 31, 2016, 06:01:23 PM

Thanks Chase.

Thank you RJF!

By the way, in the book preview, there is a chapter by chapter summary on the site. It needs a touch of tweaking yet, but it should give anyone a good breakdown.

It is just a quick 1st draft summary. Please PM Joe with edits. Thanks.
Chase
Legendary

View Profile
March 31, 2016, 08:02:06 PM

Thanks Chase.

Thank you RJF!

Affiliate Program
You can even earn money on referrals, simply by convincing others to purchase the book or membership plan. Since you are going to share the news with people you know anyway, we figure you might as well get paid for it too!

This is a great idea to spread the word and increase sales!

Getting close to launch date...  Smiley

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2016, 12:24:39 AM

Thanks Chase.

Thank you RJF!

Affiliate Program
You can even earn money on referrals, simply by convincing others to purchase the book or membership plan. Since you are going to share the news with people you know anyway, we figure you might as well get paid for it too!

This is a great idea to spread the word and increase sales!

Getting close to launch date...  Smiley

Absolutely, there are plenty of affiliate marketers out there that I'm sure would love to promote the book as well.

TeeGee

Activity: 846
Merit: 535

View Profile
April 01, 2016, 01:46:44 AM

Website is looking really impressive.

Will be good to have a series of content available for people to view at launch. The members subscription will be a great money earner for the web property and company.

Does anybody here have any ideas for content / or skills they can share their expertise so that other people can quote them? (basically, I'd write and quote you as an expert).

Video series? I'm sure I could create a video series of Frequently asked questions that cover general business theory / skills based from notes written by experienced business professionals here - I've only so far operated a Personal Training business, but that involves a lot of the same sales and strategy skills, albeit on a smaller scale. I'd just need a desk to sit at, and a camera. Could throw a basic mock up together on a simple topic, nullify my New Zealand accent... and see how it comes out. These videos could be based from theories in business text books but adding Alan's flavour to it. Just an idea anyway. I will do one video mock-up though.

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2016, 03:40:27 AM

Will be good to have a series of content available for people to view at launch. The members subscription will be a great money earner for the web property and company.

Does anybody here have any ideas for content / or skills they can share their expertise so that other people can quote them? (basically, I'd write and quote you as an expert).

Video series? I'm sure I could create a video series of Frequently asked questions that cover general business theory / skills based from notes written by experienced business professionals here - I've only so far operated a Personal Training business, but that involves a lot of the same sales and strategy skills, albeit on a smaller scale. I'd just need a desk to sit at, and a camera. Could throw a basic mock up together on a simple topic, nullify my New Zealand accent... and see how it comes out. These videos could be based from theories in business text books but adding Alan's flavour to it. Just an idea anyway. I will do one video mock-up though.

Thanks TeeGee, we will have some content available at launch. There are two guides in there now, they are just hidden to unless you are a member. We plan to have a few more as well, at a minimum. One thing we will need help with is getting the forum started, it will be good if anyone has business related topics to share or ask business questions. For the videos, I'll defer to Alan, but sounds like a good idea.

Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
April 01, 2016, 03:48:12 AM

Just a brief response. The site will be launched with limited contents but a lot more will be added in the coming months. I can cover a wide variety of important business related subjects. We intent to work with strategic partners who are currently serving the small business market.

The book is written to generate a fairly broad appeal in a very inspiration manner of building a leadership culture and collaboration among employees and the management team. It laid the foundation for many related follow-ups and training programs. This could turn out to be a significant revenue generator for the new company allowing us to support major R&D projects going forward.  
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
April 01, 2016, 03:50:49 AM

Thanks TeeGee, we will have some content available at launch. There are two guides in there now, they are just hidden to unless you are a member. We plan to have a few more as well, at a minimum. One thing we will need help with is getting the forum started, it will be good if anyone has business related topics to share or ask business questions. For the videos, I'll defer to Alan, but sounds like a good idea.

The video will kick in later.
Pages: « 1 ... 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 [485] 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 »
  Print  

Jump to: