Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 08:16:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 [499] 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][NOTE]DNotes - Celebrating DNotes 3rd Birthday - Forum Now Open  (Read 814498 times)
RJF19

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

AKA RJF - Since '14 - On line since '84

View Profile
April 22, 2016, 07:49:20 PM

No it won't. One of the key advantages of cryptocurrencies is anyone, anywhere in the world is able to participate.

That is messed up... I can see them doing something outside of bitcoin or on a sidechain for willing participants, but what right do they have to try and force transaction rules for the entire world.................

Apparently, the article left out some very important information. See the followup here:

http://www.coindesk.com/mit-dismisses-bitcoin-developer-criticism-project-proposal/?utm_source=CoinDesk+subscribers&utm_campaign=1e420b4d3e-EMAIL_RSS_CAMPAIGNT2&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_74abb9e6ab-1e420b4d3e-78905009

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. Thomas A. Edison
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1111

DNotes

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2016, 08:10:42 PM

No it won't. One of the key advantages of cryptocurrencies is anyone, anywhere in the world is able to participate.

That is messed up... I can see them doing something outside of bitcoin or on a sidechain for willing participants, but what right do they have to try and force transaction rules for the entire world.................

Apparently, the article left out some very important information. See the followup here:

http://www.coindesk.com/mit-dismisses-bitcoin-developer-criticism-project-proposal/?utm_source=CoinDesk+subscribers&utm_campaign=1e420b4d3e-EMAIL_RSS_CAMPAIGNT2&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_74abb9e6ab-1e420b4d3e-78905009

Ahh, that makes a lot more sense.

Dyna
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1060

View Profile
April 23, 2016, 01:24:40 AM

Frankly, this industry is making a lot of things much more complicated and confusing than it needs to be. If we don't make a serious effort to keep things simple the likelihood of mass acceptance of Bitcoin and other digital currencies is remote. And that is what the bankers are hoping will happen.
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2016, 01:37:19 AM

I do believe that a combination of software and hardware will provide the best path to virtually no constraint to blockchain scaling with almost unbreakable security and instant transaction confirmation. However, this is not likely to happen until there is large scale acceptance.

Intel Conducting Experiments to Massively Scale Blockchain
Sid Kalla | Published on April 21, 2016 at 16:52 BST

Intel, the largest chip-maker in the world, is looking to trusted execution environments on its hardware chips to enhance security and privacy for blockchain users.

Speaking at the Tomorrow’s Transactions conference in London this week, Kelly Olson, director of the distributed ledger technology group at Intel, discussed ways it is possible to use a "secure enclave", similar to what Apple uses for its Touch ID, to increase blockchain security.

Olson's group is conducting research on large-scale deployments of blockchains that could scale to several tens of thousands or millions of nodes, though he said the work is still in early stages.

Still, Olson made the case for using secure hardware solutions that can provide a trusted computation environment. The immediate use case of such a hardware solution would be for key management in blockchains.

Discussing bitcoin specifically, Olson noted that even though the public blockchain network itself has been very secure, users have experienced losses due to lost or stolen private keys.

Olson said:
"While initial blockchain deployments like bitcoin have proven to be quite secure, they have shifted the burden of security from the network to the endpoints that write to the blockchain."

Olson discussed the use of such a secured hardware computing environment not just in security, but also privacy.

The goal is to bring privacy to the blockchain without centralization, he said, which could prove a difficult task. One proposed solution is to treat the hardware itself as a trusted third-party that can provide a level of verification that is generally either publicly distributed or privately validated.
“Privacy is one of the most difficult problems to solve, as transaction validation and transparency often go hand in hand," he said.

Intel experiments
Olson also offered new insights into the blockchain experiments ongoing in Intel's labs.
For example, he said that his team has been working on using blockchains that can be highly customized, where users could change the consensus mechanism of the blockchain or impose participation restrictions.

However, the main differentiating factor between what Intel is working on and what startups like R3 have shown, he said, is scale.

According to Olson, his tests indicate that traditional distributed consensus mechanisms like RAFTdon’t scale well beyond 100 nodes or so. However, Intel is looking at cases where the blockchain might scale to potentially millions of nodes.

In order to scale the blockchain sufficiently, he suggested the use of ‘sharding’, a technique that is also being actively explored by Ethereum, although Intel’s implementation may be different.
The idea is to partition the data in such a way that strict ordering of events is not essential, unless there is a specific use case, and therefore these 'chains' can be separated out and run in parallel.
Future of Blockchain

Finally, Olson touched on the evolution of blockchain and its use cases, which he divided into three broad phases.

The first, he said, is a currency application, like bitcoin; the second lies in the creation of digital assets; and the third centers around identity and reputation.

Notably, it was identity and reputation management that was the use case that Olson believes will provide the most value to the end consumers.

But while he acknowledged the potential of this technology, he warned that the industry needs to be pragmatic. He believes distributed ledger technology is still being worked out today, and is not appropriate for the enterprise as it now stands. He was also skeptical about the use of blockchain technology in financial clearing and settlement anytime soon, given the kinds of regulations that are required in the industry.

When asked by a member of the audience about the first real use case of blockchain technology, Olson said that he believes it will, in fact, not be in the financial industry.

Instead, he believes it is more likely that some sort of digital asset being represented on the blockchain is more likely the case, such as tickets to a game, or online-only tokens such as in-game credits.
Source:

http://www.coindesk.com/intel-hardware-security-blockchains/
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2016, 02:43:02 PM

Blockchain Weekly Recap 4-23-2016

Accenture Exploring Blockchain Solutions to Fight Drug Counterfeiting
Follow My Vote Kickstarter Campaign Seeks Support for Blockchain Voting Platform
University College Dublin Hosts Blockchain Educational Event
Bitfury Group Bringing Blockchain to Georgian Land Title Registry
Morgan Stanley Report: Banks Have Advantage in Blockchain Battle

http://dcebrief.com/blockchain-weekly-recap-4-23-2016/

RJF19

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

AKA RJF - Since '14 - On line since '84

View Profile
April 23, 2016, 03:31:48 PM

Frankly, this industry is making a lot of things much more complicated and confusing than it needs to be. If we don't make a serious effort to keep things simple the likelihood of mass acceptance of Bitcoin and other digital currencies is remote. And that is what the bankers are hoping will happen.

It's human nature really, we all need to put our "stamp" on things. Everyone has done it, some more then others, when you say "I can make that better." or "They should have done it this way" and so on. Hopefully the level heads will prevail and development will continue on a more or less even keel. The original problem remains, there is no "captain" on this ship and the crew is free to do what they want.

Basically, it's open season on the technology, anything goes. This is one of the reasons ALT coins are so important. Gives developers and coders a way to test their innovations and changes without messing with Bitcoin itself. As stable alternatives to Bitcoin begin to emerge and their development cycles calm down, we will see more and more challenges to the leader. Hopefully, there will be room for more than one crypto with each offering having it's own special purpose such as DNotes will.

This whole mindset of "replacing" Bitcoin is a bit ambitious in my opinion. There is certainly room for multiple coins in the halls of success.

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. Thomas A. Edison
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2016, 05:11:14 PM

It's human nature really, we all need to put our "stamp" on things. Everyone has done it, some more then others, when you say "I can make that better." or "They should have done it this way" and so on. Hopefully the level heads will prevail and development will continue on a more or less even keel. The original problem remains, there is no "captain" on this ship and the crew is free to do what they want.

Basically, it's open season on the technology, anything goes. This is one of the reasons ALT coins are so important. Gives developers and coders a way to test their innovations and changes without messing with Bitcoin itself. As stable alternatives to Bitcoin begin to emerge and their development cycles calm down, we will see more and more challenges to the leader. Hopefully, there will be room for more than one crypto with each offering having it's own special purpose such as DNotes will.

This whole mindset of "replacing" Bitcoin is a bit ambitious in my opinion. There is certainly room for multiple coins in the halls of success.

I agree. The opportunities are not limited to Bitcoin but it does not mean that we have to replace it. It is good to have competition and there is plenty of room for other altcoins to be quite successful.
Chase
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 23, 2016, 08:04:37 PM

This is a really good video from Bloomberg featuring Gil Luria, Wedbush Securities technology analyst. He believes that after the banks become comfortable with blockchain, they will discover the benefits of bitcoin and start finding uses for it.

Bitcoin's Big Boom: When Will Blockchain Go Mainstream?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2016-04-22/bitcoin-s-big-boom-when-will-blockchain-go-mainstream

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." -Albert Einstein-

DNotes EDU – Cryptocurrency Education For All – Accomplishments of 2018
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2016, 09:12:12 PM

This is a really good video from Bloomberg featuring Gil Luria, Wedbush Securities technology analyst. He believes that after the banks become comfortable with blockchain, they will discover the benefits of bitcoin and start finding uses for it.

Bitcoin's Big Boom: When Will Blockchain Go Mainstream?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2016-04-22/bitcoin-s-big-boom-when-will-blockchain-go-mainstream

Very good point, digital currency is the killer blockchain app. If that is the path they need to take to realize and feel comfortable with cryptocurrency, then so be it. I'm sure blockchain will have a lot of applications in the future, but it is hard to imagine any that would be more useful on a global scale than digital currency.

IMZ
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 24, 2016, 03:49:05 AM
Last edit: April 24, 2016, 04:28:38 AM by IMZ

Reading reading reading. This is good: https://petertodd.org/2016/mit-chainanchor-bribing-miners-to-regulate-bitcoin

I am sorely tempted to return to my very very first crypto inclination: to write its political theory. We seem to be rushing past a never-got-achieved anarcho-capitalism towards an anarcho-techno-dystopia.
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2016, 12:48:54 PM

Reading reading reading. This is good: https://petertodd.org/2016/mit-chainanchor-bribing-miners-to-regulate-bitcoin

I am sorely tempted to return to my very very first crypto inclination: to write its political theory. We seem to be rushing past a never-got-achieved anarcho-capitalism towards an anarcho-techno-dystopia.

Mark, though I am more of an independent thinker - a big picture person, I understand your frustration:

"I am sorely tempted to return to my very very first crypto inclination: to write its political theory. We seem to be rushing past a never-got-achieved anarcho-capitalism towards an anarcho-techno-dystopia."

Sometimes we could be "too smart" for our own good and fail to exploit what we already have. To me the most ingenious creation about Bitcoin is bitcoin itself - the digital currency. The currency potential is huge if a lot of the associated challenges and problems can be resolved. The under-pining blockchain technology has great utility value and should be exploited. Our industry, as a group, is all over the place. It 's a common mistake, as explained in the book:

Quote: The Four Pillars of Business Success - Chapter 11 - Products:

"One of the mistakes I commonly see involves new entrepreneurs - flush with excitement and filled with a seemingly endless supply of bright ideas- who spent all their time developing new products, even at the expense of cannibalizing their old offerings. They are engaged in what I like to refer to as a “build and destroy” strategy. That path leads to nowhere fast. And you can go bankrupt doing it.

Do not build and destroy. Whenever you create a new product, focus your energies on exploiting it to its fullest so that you can maximize its potential and achieve an optimal return on your investment with the best possible sales revenue and profitability. Any time you abandon efforts to increase your ROI from a product, you must be sure that it has reached its maximum potential already. If it has not, then you are failing to fully take advantage of your prior efforts, and essentially denying yourself revenue just for the sake of trying something new
."

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2016, 02:48:22 PM

Digital Currency Weekly Recap 4-24-2016

French Central Bank Report Recommends Increased Tracking of Cryptocurrency
Unconfirmed Leak Suggests Russian Duma to Host Crypto Conference in June
Private Testnet for Rootstock to Begin Soon
EDCAB Hosts Roundtable Discussions on Digital Currency
CGI Group Adds Ripple to Intelligent Gateway

http://dcebrief.com/digital-currency-weekly-recap-4-24-2016/

DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2016, 04:32:39 PM

A long one but very interesting read: How the Blockchain Can Unshackle the World

Once every 20 years or so, new technology comes to market that has the potential to change how we communicate, how we do business, and pushes the boundaries of everything we thought was possible.

In the 1970s, it was the personal computer; in the mid-1990s, the commercial Internet. Now, we are in the early stages of another major technological development called the blockchain.

Chase
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 24, 2016, 06:24:17 PM

How are you supposed to do your homework as an investor, when the 'textbook' has been written by a 'creative accountant'??

Fantasy Math Is Helping Companies Spin Losses Into Profits

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/24/business/fantasy-math-is-helpingcompanies-spin-losses-into-profits.html?ref=business&_r=0

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." -Albert Einstein-

DNotes EDU – Cryptocurrency Education For All – Accomplishments of 2018
DNotes (OP)
Legendary

DNotes

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2016, 08:34:20 PM

How are you supposed to do your homework as an investor, when the 'textbook' has been written by a 'creative accountant'??

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/24/business/fantasy-math-is-helpingcompanies-spin-losses-into-profits.html?ref=business&_r=0

Hmm, this type of thing shouldn't be allowed and I'd imagine the SEC would be cracking down on this sort of thing. At any rate it is a deplorable practice intended to mislead investors.

Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2016, 10:17:59 PM

Hmm, this type of thing shouldn't be allowed and I'd imagine the SEC would be cracking down on this sort of thing. At any rate it is a deplorable practice intended to mislead investors.

Creative accounting is nothing new, especially with quarterly reports. Annual reports must be submitted with certified audited returns. The consequences of "Fantasy Math" are very serious. While it happened, the headline is clearly to garner attention. The reporting and compliance requirements with SEC as a publicly traded company is extremely high. Coupled with massive legal liabilities Board members these days are significantly more watchful. So are auditors.
IMZ
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 25, 2016, 12:33:57 AM

'To me the most ingenious creation about Bitcoin is bitcoin itself - the digital currency.'

Agreed, Dyna. My first thought about Chainanchor was 'Well, all that "crypto-value" will just tippy-toe off to other ('free') cryptos!! -- like Dnotes!'

I wasn't an unhappy camper in my comment, but I wanted to be first in a field that will arise, the anthropology of free cryptos.

Mark
Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
April 25, 2016, 01:10:38 AM

'To me the most ingenious creation about Bitcoin is bitcoin itself - the digital currency.'

Agreed, Dyna. My first thought about Chainanchor was 'Well, all that "crypto-value" will just tippy-toe off to other ('free') cryptos!! -- like Dnotes!'

I wasn't an unhappy camper in my comment, but I wanted to be first in a field that will arise, the anthropology of free cryptos.

Mark

Mark, you often bring about great prospective from a different angle. I appreciate that.
TeeGee

Activity: 846
Merit: 535

View Profile
April 25, 2016, 03:22:24 AM

Mark

This subject has interested me since the beginning of my involvement in crypto's in early 2014 IMZ. I have posted about desiring to carry out research on this topic in my early posts on this forum.

Do I sense a collaboration for a brief 5-10 page research paper in the future pipeline?

TeeGee

Dyna
Legendary

View Profile
April 25, 2016, 04:14:26 AM

Mark

This subject has interested me since the beginning of my involvement in crypto's in early 2014 IMZ. I have posted about desiring to carry out research on this topic in my early posts on this forum.

Do I sense a collaboration for a brief 5-10 page research paper in the future pipeline?

TeeGee

TeeGee and Mark. I do believe that there are merits. Personally, I prefer a shorter article (closer to 5 page) and written in such a way that is easy for the laypersons to understand.

I am going to be extremely busy this week and may not be able to contribute much. The book is 100% written, pending a final round of edit. We have decided to add a "Chapter Summation: Key Takeaways"
Pages: « 1 ... 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 [499] 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 »
  Print  

Jump to: