Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 05:16:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 »
  Print  
Author Topic: LightningAsic usb miners based Gridseed GC3355 Tech Support Thread  (Read 73409 times)
gamefixer

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 03:42:05 AM

Is the Gridseed controller required to run these units or can I run 10 of them from a PC using USB hubs?

You can connect these to a windows PC and run the custom version of cpuminer so no you don't need the controller, but for the extra $ it's worth it considering how many watts a PC uses...that and you'd have to run like 10-MS DOS windows of cpuminer which is just a clutter on your desktop if you're actually also using the computer for non-mining stuff.

My understanding, too, is that if you mine with your PC using the custom cpuminer, the bitcoin cores will stay active and draw power...so if you only want to mine Scrypt coins with them, you'll be paying more in power to run them that way.

I can confirm this.

I ordered 11 miners and didnt get a controller (it wasnt shipped with them). I've had to connect them to a hub then to a PC (a few actually, CPUminer doesnt like double digit com port numbers) and run separate instances of CPU miner to get them working. Clocked at 800 MHz they are just now starting to break 300khs (some of them have been up for almost 12 hours). But, all of them are running in dual mode. How do I know?? I put a Kill-a-Watt on the computers supply before I started any of them.

Miner 1 added 55 watts to the total load, miner 2 added 60 and so on and so on.... They are all getting very warm but none of them have crashed. I have them all powered by a single 850 watt Corsair gold rated supply.

From the sounds of this thread the only way to turn off dual mode is to use the controller they were supposed to come with. It also sounds like the controller connected miners crash or restart quite often....

Gota love the Q/A on these things. Really hoping to get this worked out. The whole point to buying these things was to reduce my power footprint. Yeah, its lower then the equivalent GPU rig but its still not as low as I would like it to be.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
testthewhiterabbit

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 04:28:41 AM

With some help I managed to get into the controller, and get ssh working. It is indeed off by default.

However, I instinctively changed the root password as soon as I got in, so I can't really help with the password hash Tongue

I uploaded the binaries of cgminer/minerd from the /www/soft directory here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7cOfhzHSYKJWWVOTF9uN0RxcHc/edit?usp=sharing maybe somebody can use those (I don't).

This is the /lib/modules dir: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7cOfhzHSYKJeGh3YUxfOHpjWDQ/edit?usp=sharing

Please let us know how you got in Smiley

Also, if you have any steps/scripts you used to get cgminer up and running that would be huge help as well.  I'd rather run cgminer if I could, but don't know any of the details on getting them running on the controller.
testthewhiterabbit

Activity: 54

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 04:29:52 AM

Can anyone confirm they've removed the fans on these things, and they don't run too hot in LTC mode?  Please confirm your ambient temp, and if you use any other kind of cooling.

Thanks!
gigq

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 04:58:41 AM

The raspberry pi binary just dropped on here https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=9908.msg132325#msg132325 via Chirale

http://www.lateralfactory.com/download.php?file=minerd

This post is on behalf of drfranz! He is hell busy and asked me to post how to run gridseed "round units" on Raspberry PI.
This is for LTC mining only. We are currently working on the BTC mining.

Instructions:
1) Download minerd for Raspberry Pi here
2) Copy minerd into Raspberry Pi
3) Find dev name where gc3355 is attached to (es. /dev/ttyUSB0). You can run dmesg.
4) Launch the following command with the appropriate values:
minerd -G <yourDevice> -o <yourMiningPoolAddress:Port> -u <User> -p <Pass> --freq=600 -D
Frequency parametres is currently unused

Enjoy!

P.S. In the next couple of weeks we will try to release the new version of scripta running gridseed products as well as ltcgear boards.
dloganbill

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 05:01:08 AM

Look at the dhcp table in your router.

Thanks dloganbill, I looked in the dhcp table and have use router as dhcp server checked and only have a starting and ending IP address from 192.168.1.2  to 192.168.1.254 is the only addresses are in there right now.  

I also added a manual IP address and tried to do it like that but that didn't work.    

How did you go about finding your IP address to get to the dashboard?

I haven't received mine yet, so I'm just speculating at the moment. I think you're looking in the wrong spot of your router. It should have a list somewhere of all the ip addresses that are currently assigned. It will also typically show the computer, tablet, smartphone etc name. For instance, on my Asus router, I click network map>clients>and there is a list of MAC addresses, ip addresses, and client names.

DISCIPLINA — The First Blockchain For HR & Education
From core developers of Cardano, PoS minting, unique Web Of Trust & Privacy algorithms. Be the first, join us!
  WEBSITE  TELEGRAM  ANN  BOUNTY  LINKEDIN  WHITEPAPER  Referral Program 5%
richmke

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 06:33:13 AM

I looked in the dhcp table and have use router as dhcp server checked and only have a starting and ending IP address from 192.168.1.2  to 192.168.1.254 is the only addresses are in there right now. 

Narrow the range from .2 to .10 (not .254). power cycle the controller. Then check all addresses from .2 to .10.
teekan

Activity: 27

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 07:23:54 AM

I looked in the dhcp table and have use router as dhcp server checked and only have a starting and ending IP address from 192.168.1.2  to 192.168.1.254 is the only addresses are in there right now. 

Narrow the range from .2 to .10 (not .254). power cycle the controller. Then check all addresses from .2 to .10.

Thanks for the tip btw.   I finally solved the issue though!   The cause was a old arse version of router firmware.   After I upgraded the firmware, it had a whole option for attached devices and I seen the right IP and could log on fine from there!

Now on to the next question!   

Those of you who have the "GOLD" edition Lightning Asic's (i'm sure that's what most of us all got)  how did you go about updating the firmware on these?   I seen on the tutorial there is a white switch but there isn't one on the "gold" edition ones.   I seen the "update firmware" on the dashboard and clicked it and seen you can upload a file, so I went and grabbed the Uart_miner_FW_Ver01140116_20140116.bin file that was included in the Firmware upgrade guide and hit upload but I got an error saying it was invalid.   

Can anyone please explain how to upgrade the miner firmware if you can on the "GOLD" edition LA3M's?     I saw in the thread that we are supposed to get some new firmware soon, but not sure if that is for the miner or controller.   
maardein

Activity: 420

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 08:54:49 AM

With some help I managed to get into the controller, and get ssh working. It is indeed off by default.

However, I instinctively changed the root password as soon as I got in, so I can't really help with the password hash Tongue

I uploaded the binaries of cgminer/minerd from the /www/soft directory here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7cOfhzHSYKJWWVOTF9uN0RxcHc/edit?usp=sharing maybe somebody can use those (I don't).

This is the /lib/modules dir: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7cOfhzHSYKJeGh3YUxfOHpjWDQ/edit?usp=sharing

Please let us know how you got in Smiley

Also, if you have any steps/scripts you used to get cgminer up and running that would be huge help as well.  I'd rather run cgminer if I could, but don't know any of the details on getting them running on the controller.

I haven't got cgminer running yet. I went to bed almost immediately after posting.

Can you get an image of the firmware so people can start improving it?

I you can tell me how to get an image over scp? Problem is there is no room to temporarily store the image on the device itself.

BTC: 1788UegKXGXXicfPcbZ1bmSUJ99ZWRCF7p
LTC: LZ2rCcoxK4X8wRRynqdxoimd4d3TDNk7Lk
PMP: PApSSdorQds5tQysymwDXPAN3viJLFTUs8
Girhes

Activity: 46

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 09:05:38 AM

Well it turned out lightningasic's cgminer binary is the same one you can find in the factory firmware since version 2.0.0. The firmware everybody wants to flash their miner units to is also identical to the one the factory released back in January. So no magic there yet, LA probably just made some GUI tweaks and scripts to automate the cycling of processes hanged up.

I'm also planning to make something for the raspberry - first of all it would be nice to set the clock speeds individually, and let one cgminer process handle more units the same time. Running all of them individually at 3-400kH/sec is not the best for multipools with high vardiffs I think :\ Another nice feature would be to use the whole "rig" with a standard ATX power supply. The controller could then power cycle the USB hub and all the units through GPIO ports when needed Smiley
Biomech
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 09:09:31 AM

Yes you can, if you got in. Extract the image with YOUR pw in place, upload it. Stating the obvious here, cuz people hurry, don't post the PW you use Tongue
mindphlux

Activity: 52

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 09:40:14 AM

How do you download the current firmware image from the device in order to change the password hash?
teekan

Activity: 27

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 10:27:44 AM
Last edit: February 26, 2014, 11:16:38 AM by teekan

PLEASE HELP!

after 2 days of troubleshooting this I'm finally at the dashboard and see all my 10 miners but they are all OFFLINE and I can't get them to hash at all.  Huh  I have setup the scrypt pool and filled in stuff on the SHA-256 as well and left the enabled button unchecked (I just want to mine scrypt anyway)  

I tried doing the steps from worldlybedouin listed below with no luck as well...

1. Unplug power cable from TP-Link controller
2. Turn off the USB hub switch (or unplug the hub from the controller)
3. Remove all the USB cables from the hub except 1 of them
4. Plug in the TP-Links power cable
5. Allow the controller to start up and "settle" a bit (~2mins or so)
6. Make sure the controller dashboard shows no devices connected and says something about connecting a USB hub
7. Flip the power switch on the USB hub so now the 1 miner is connected to the controller
8. REfresh the Dashboard to see the 1 miner show up
9. Wait to let that 1 miner start hashing away
10. Next, plug in the remaining miners 1 by 1...about 1 min apart from each other

I got to Step 9 where it says to wait to let that 1 miner start hashing away for about 5 minutes before I pressed the submit and restart button and nothing still happens.    

Here is a picture of the system log..
https://i.imgur.com/tZqn23U.jpg?1

I ALSO noticed that when I add the worker name and try and hit submit and restart the worker name doesn't add next to the LTC Miner name.   For instance I have 1 miner plugged and the name says LTC Miner 1:3;  if I put down "laminer.1" as my worker name and hit submit and restart, it won't show up in ( ) next to LTC Miner 1:3 like it should be like LTC Miner 1:3 (laminer.1)

When I enabled the SHA-256 box and put in a worker name for it and hit submit and restart, that actually showed up in ( ) next to the name, for instance BTC miner (laminer.1) and it says it was RUNNING!   but not the LTC Miner :/

Any help would be very deeply appreciated as I don't know what else to do, Please help Lightning Asic community!  Your my only hope!

UPDATE:  I think i made some progress.  you have to keep unchecking the enable button and re-enable on both scrypt and sha-256 and I FINALLY got a running status now for the miner I have hooked up now.   Now to get it to start hashing and hopefully it will and I can finally get this setup and then I can pay it forward and help other people out.  Smiley     I'm afraid to even refresh the dashboard, because last time i did the miner went back offline and the worker name wasn't associated with the miner anymore.    I don't see it hashing yet but heard it takes a bit to warm up so hopefully that is it.

Goin to pass out now since it's 5am, but if anyone has any suggestions please let me know and thanks for helping. Smiley

Here's how far I'm at right now I just can't get it to hash yet and if I refresh the dashboard or come back to it the miner is back offline.
https://i.imgur.com/0CNNVrr.jpg?1
Andareed

Activity: 84
Merit: 14

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 10:28:06 AM

Well it turned out lightningasic's cgminer binary is the same one you can find in the factory firmware since version 2.0.0. The firmware everybody wants to flash their miner units to is also identical to the one the factory released back in January. So no magic there yet, LA probably just made some GUI tweaks and scripts to automate the cycling of processes hanged up.

I'm also planning to make something for the raspberry - first of all it would be nice to set the clock speeds individually, and let one cgminer process handle more units the same time. Running all of them individually at 3-400kH/sec is not the best for multipools with high vardiffs I think :\ Another nice feature would be to use the whole "rig" with a standard ATX power supply. The controller could then power cycle the USB hub and all the units through GPIO ports when needed Smiley

I have the same plan. Someone added support for the GC3355 to bfgminer (https://github.com/nwoolls/bfgminer/tree/feature/dualminer-support), so I think I'll use that instead of cgminer.

BTC: 1K54i8Fsu7e7WPu1pQJV6tDa65qXahnHMH
LTC: LMfJ2eqsJofTaNtD1dLRZBuKju9qYgwxZj
maardein

Activity: 420

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 10:33:44 AM

Yes you can, if you got in. Extract the image with YOUR pw in place, upload it. Stating the obvious here, cuz people hurry, don't post the PW you use Tongue

So, how do I extract the image over ssh/scp?

BTC: 1788UegKXGXXicfPcbZ1bmSUJ99ZWRCF7p
LTC: LZ2rCcoxK4X8wRRynqdxoimd4d3TDNk7Lk
PMP: PApSSdorQds5tQysymwDXPAN3viJLFTUs8
Biomech
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 10:42:29 AM

So, how do I extract the image over ssh/scp?

I'm not real good with linux, but once you have root password, you should be able to copy the entire thing just like any other files. I was making a general statement. I'm not an expert, But there are people who read this who are.
bhai

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 11:04:50 AM

Best way is to use "dd" to another linux machine, with this you will have a complete image of the controller and be able to mount it on other *nix systems.

Ofcourse dd should be installed then, most likey its a openwrt image, then its easy to install dd with ipkg install, then you will have to find which package holds dd. Command should look like:

ssh root@123.45.67.89 "dd if=/dev/xvda " | dd of=/home/archive/givethebeastaname.img

rgdz,
bhai
worldlybedouin

Activity: 376

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2014, 11:59:02 AM

Miner 1 added 55 watts to the total load, miner 2 added 60 and so on and so on.... They are all getting very warm but none of them have crashed. I have them all powered by a single 850 watt Corsair gold rated supply.

Would you mind elaborating on this -- using a single 850 watt corsair PSU?

1. Are you doing both BTC & LTC mining with this PSU?

2. Can you tell me how you wired this up?

LTC:  LXrAe2E6cBsK52GvUsYraeXkc2s7Ti7R5X
BTC:  1FLTMqVjTZ5MTdCF4npNZGFMEUGyBV4zcj
richmke

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 12:19:05 PM

Can anyone please explain how to upgrade the miner firmware if you can on the "GOLD" edition LA3M's?
You can't in its current state. There are theories that you might be able to short the right pins to put it into program mode. Since there is no upgrade firmware available, no one has tried to figure it out.

I saw in the thread that we are supposed to get some new firmware soon, but not sure if that is for the miner or controller.   

For the controller. There has been no discussion about firmware upgrade for the miner.
gamefixer

Activity: 440

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 12:19:43 PM

Sure.

I'm trying to mine LTC only but as I found out without the controller the miners come up in dual mode even though I only have an LTC pool in my .bat file that starts each miner. Since the miners are supposed to only draw 7-8 watts in single mode only my 850 watt supply is more than enough to power them. As it stands the draw on the supply is close to its limit which is why I only have 9 miners connected to it right now.

I powered the miners by getting 5.5mm x 2.1mm (YES, 2.1) barrel power connectors (not sure what the technical name for them is) and a bunch of 4 pin molex 12" Y adapters. My plan was to power the fans on each unit via +5 from the molex but after I discovered that they are running in dual mode I abandoned that idea (the one miner I modified was getting way to hot with the fan supplied by +5). I cut off the male end of the Y adapters, removed the +5 wires from the connectors (since I'm not going to use them) and soldered the ground and +12 wires to the barrel connectors. A little heat shrink tubing and were off to the races.

If you want me to I can take some pics of the power adapters I made and post them.

I just read that some one modified bfgminer to support these things.... Going to try it later.

I really need a damn controller to get these things to run in single mode. Kinda not happy with them right now.
richmke

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 12:37:16 PM

I am guessing he is mining only LTC. Using his computer to control the miners, he cannot turn off the BTC core. He said 55-60 A/C watts per miner. Assuming 80% efficiency of the PSU, that is around 48 watts to the Miner. The Miner will draw closer to 60 watts (75 A/C watts) while mining.

If using a stand alone PSU, on the 20/24 pin connector:
1) Optional: Put a high wattage resistor across a red (5 volts)and black (ground) wire. Pins 23 and 3 work well. This puts a 5 volt load and stabilizes the 12 volt rail.
2) Short pin 16 (green: power on signal) to a black wire (pin 19 works well). This turns the PSU on.

For all PSUs:
3) Take a drive connector. The yellow wire is 12 volts, and the black wire is ground. On the miner power cable, the Red Miner Wire connects to Yellow PSU wire, and the White Miner wire connects to the Black PSU wire.

Although the Drive wire connector is rated for 11 amps (130 watts), I wouldn't put more than 4 amps (50 watts) on a single wire. Although that would be all 10 miners in LTC only mode, to be safe, I wouldn't put more than 2 miners per Drive wire.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 »
  Print  

Jump to: