Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 12:11:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 »
  Print  
Author Topic: LightningAsic usb miners based Gridseed GC3355 Tech Support Thread  (Read 73409 times)
richmke

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 03:37:41 PM

LTC Only with Controller - Fan?

Has anyone figured out if you can mine LTC only with the controller (turns off BTC core), and disconnect the fan?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
atari02

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 04:17:06 PM

Power connection summary:

Note: I received the PSU configured for 220 volts, and a power cord not compatible with my country. Fortunately, I have lots of extra power cables. Standard computer cables work fine.

1) Set the voltage switch on the side of the PSU to 110 or 220, depending upon your country (110 for USA).

There are 9 terminals on the PSU. They are number. From left to right, they are 1 through 9.
Terminals 7, 8, and 9 are Ground, N, and L, respectively

2) Cut the power cord and expose the wires. The wires are colored Green, White, and Black. The the USA, the Green is connected to the center terminal, the white to the wider terminal, and the black to the thinner terminal. Connect the wires to the PSU as follows:

Terminal #, Terminal Name, Wire Color, Purpose
7, Ground, Green, Grounds the outside of the case so your don't shock yourself.
8, N, White, Neutral - This is the return path of the electricity to ground.
9, L, Black, Line Voltage - This is the power from the power company.

The power cable for the miners has red and white wires. Red is connected to the inside of the terminal, and white to the outside. The power to the miners is DC, so direction matters.

Terminals 1, 2, and 3 supply +12 volts. They are all identical. As far as I can tell they are all interconnected, so it doesn't matter which ones you use.
Terminals 4, 5, and 6 are Ground. They are all identical. As far as I can tell they are all interconnected, so it doesn't matter which ones you use.

3) Connect the Red wire to terminal 1, 2, or 3. Connect the White wire to terminal 4, 5, or 6. Repeat for 5.
4) Do all of the above for the 2nd PSU

So if I understand you right, in the US it doesn't matter if I switch black/white wires around for this PSU?

It matters, but it works either way. With A/C power, the electrons go both ways so either way works. However, N or Neutral, is the return path to ground of the power. In theory, you will not get shocked if you touch that wire.

For safety purposes, devices are wired assuming that a specific wire is Neutral, and the other Line (live). It keeps that wire away from anything that you might come in contact with.

Here's a visual reference to hook up the AC and DC cables. There are 6 cables connected here. For 5 just leave one out:

atari02

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 04:19:32 PM

I cannot tell if it should be 2.1mm/5.5mm, but a 2.5mm/5.5mm seems to fit fine for the beta models with the white button. Also, you may want to get a 12v 6a power supply for each unit because the 5a one I was sent gets really hot. I have a 12v 10a that I use instead. I should note that I am overclocking to 750 from 600 in cpuminer.

I ordered 5 miners without the controller, power supply, etc.  

Can someone let me know what power supply, cabling I will need?  Appreciate the help.

You need a "12V,5A" power adapter.
Like this:

USB cable is just ok.

What are the measurement of the Plug ... 2.5mm - 5.5mm ?

It is definitely 2.5mm internal and 5.5mm external

atari02

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 04:23:27 PM

Can anyone figure out how to get into the controller?  Is it possible to hook up via USB to the computer and access the filesystem somehow?

I've read that SSH is running on it but I belive only Jack has the password for it.

Get the ip address from the dhcp server and you can ssh into it using:

username: root
password: 123456

Those are the factory settings, so it may not be the same from LightningAsic if they have changed it.

After that you can install a sftp server for transferring files. This is really helpful when you want to make changes to the controller.

Code:
opkg update
opkg install openssh-sftp-server

Pistachio
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 04:26:44 PM

They are not stable at all but I have had two units go above 500Kh for brief periods before crashing back to the 250-350 range. See here http://waffles.wilschrader.com/stats?address=15NCWjqCADxTVWdhM8rThdnQTXi6Fbcy19 for current hash of two Gridseed units.

How are your 5 minute averages? Waffle pool has set the difficulty at 512, and that has caused a lot of short-term variability. So, it might be the pool settings, and not your miners.

They are in the 275-325 range. You might be right about the 512 difficulty having an adverse effect. They are making about 0.0033BTC per day per miner on wafflepool. Any recommendation for a more profitable pool with a lower difficulty setting for these miners?
atari02

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 04:35:54 PM

They are not stable at all but I have had two units go above 500Kh for brief periods before crashing back to the 250-350 range. See here http://waffles.wilschrader.com/stats?address=15NCWjqCADxTVWdhM8rThdnQTXi6Fbcy19 for current hash of two Gridseed units.

How are your 5 minute averages? Waffle pool has set the difficulty at 512, and that has caused a lot of short-term variability. So, it might be the pool settings, and not your miners.

They are in the 275-325 range. You might be right about the 512 difficulty having an adverse effect. They are making about 0.0033BTC per day per miner on wafflepool. Any recommendation for a more profitable pool with a lower difficulty setting for these miners?

Were you told to setup a worker for each individual unit? That is recommended for maximum performance as each unit can request its own work load.

With these units from LightningAsic are you guys using wiibox.net?

Pistachio
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 04:38:29 PM

Were you told to setup a worker for each individual unit? That is recommended for maximum performance as each unit can request its own work load.

The ones I have are beta units and running without a controller or wiibox.net.
Xell

Activity: 109

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 04:44:44 PM

Am I correct in thinking that AsiaBTC has SSH'd into these units on occasion? So someone with the lightningasic default username and password could do the same, and have complete root access to all the units globally?

Let's hope 'Jack' chose a good password, and won't tell anyone else what it is... Because I don't think I would ever buy a computer & connect it to the web knowing someone else had root access & could do whatever they pleased... Based on what I have read these units come with built-in functions that are designed to allow someone to remote access them? If that's correct then surely this is a security flaw waiting to end in tears.

┈┈┈┈┈ TYCOON ┈┈┈┈┈
Social Crypto Trading. Made Simple
┈┈┈┈┈ MEDIUMTWITTERTELEGRAM ┈┈┈┈┈
worldlybedouin

Activity: 376
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2014, 05:18:56 PM

Am I correct in thinking that AsiaBTC has SSH'd into these units on occasion? So someone with the lightningasic default username and password could do the same, and have complete root access to all the units globally?

Let's hope 'Jack' chose a good password, and won't tell anyone else what it is... Because I don't think I would ever buy a computer & connect it to the web knowing someone else had root access & could do whatever they pleased... Based on what I have read these units come with built-in functions that are designed to allow someone to remote access them? If that's correct then surely this is a security flaw waiting to end in tears.

This this still an issue if I'm behind a router/firewall? This makes me extremely nervous for sure! Sad

Edit:  All the more reason I can't wait for Chirale/DrFranz to finish their RaspPi controller instead...

LTC:  LXrAe2E6cBsK52GvUsYraeXkc2s7Ti7R5X
BTC:  1FLTMqVjTZ5MTdCF4npNZGFMEUGyBV4zcj
Xell

Activity: 109

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 05:27:42 PM

This this still an issue if I'm behind a router/firewall? This makes me extremely nervous for sure! Sad

I don't know, because I don't have the unit, but this is what it looks like. There may be some background process running to avoid the router/firewall issue, if it's correct. Can anyone confirm? There are several posts that mention 'Jack' (or someone) SSH'd to their unit. Maybe we can have some details if this was 'just done' or if the device owners had to permit it some way or another. I also require hardware to work on Linux.

┈┈┈┈┈ TYCOON ┈┈┈┈┈
Social Crypto Trading. Made Simple
┈┈┈┈┈ MEDIUMTWITTERTELEGRAM ┈┈┈┈┈
worldlybedouin

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2014, 05:28:13 PM

I'm currently doing a bit of a test because I wasn't sure on what the right approach was for worker profiles...

Constants:  WiiBox controller, pool URL, worker password, overclock settings, etc...basically everything but the worker ID.

Scenario 1:  Single worker ID for all 10 miners
Scenario 2:  Individual worker IDs for each miner

Scenario 1:  In progress...
Scenario 2:  ~4Kh (+/- a 200 or so), 12 hour run

richmke

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 06:46:25 PM

Constants:  WiiBox controller, pool URL, worker password, overclock settings, etc...basically everything but the worker ID.

Is the WiiBox the one that Jack shipped with the units? If so, how do you configure individual miners? My dashboard screen only has one setting for all.
richmke

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 06:48:39 PM

I noticed that the Controller only has one USB port. I think that is why Jack shipped one controller for every 10 units. No way to add a second hub without daisychaining the hubs.

I noticed the port was labled USB 3.0. So, maybe put one 4 port USB 3.0 hub, and then connect the 10 port hubs to the 4 port hub. I wonder if 20 is the limit of the software.
FreeJack2k2

Activity: 364

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 06:55:43 PM

So after a night of working, it does look like these units burn-in and start performing better, given time...although I did have one go down overnight at some point and not come back up, it required a power cycle of the controller to get it back online this morning. The "submit and restart" button on the web interface doesn't always work, it seems like the controllers have a tendency to stop responding to input and require a hard reset. Anyway, I see miners in the high 300s to mid-400s most of the time, with the occasional low-500. I had them set up 10 to a worker overnight, now I'm switching to making each one its own worker and seeing how much that increases their productivity. With them grouped 10 per worker (20 total) I was getting roughly 6.8-7Mh/s, I guess.

I have a couple of units that seem to be a lot slower than the rest, though. I kind of wish we had more control over clock speeds, I'd like to be able to adjust them individually because I don't think they're all made equal.
chMiner

Activity: 155

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 07:12:38 PM

... because I don't think they're all made equal.

They are all the same. This is the usual spread in electronics. You must know, electronic isn't a exactly thing. That depends on the quality of resistors, Capacitor, Asic-Chips and so on.
darkfriend77

Activity: 434
Merit: 265

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2014, 07:20:20 PM

Anyone has an idear how to flash or upgrade the orginal controller?

To the actual Lightningasic version?

-:| www.DOTMog.com |:-
worldlybedouin

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2014, 07:26:19 PM

Is the WiiBox the one that Jack shipped with the units? If so, how do you configure individual miners? My dashboard screen only has one setting for all.

You just comma separate the worker IDs:  myworker.1,myworker.2,myworker.3,...,myworker.N

You don't need to provide comma separated worker passwords if they are all identical.

worldlybedouin

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2014, 07:30:14 PM

I have a couple of units that seem to be a lot slower than the rest, though. I kind of wish we had more control over clock speeds, I'd like to be able to adjust them individually because I don't think they're all made equal.

Maybe the Rasberry Pi version that Chirale/DrFranz are working on could have this feature?  You may want to suggest this to them.

richmke

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 07:48:56 PM

Thanks Worldly.

Is there a Dashboard instruction manual?
FreeJack2k2

Activity: 364

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 07:49:55 PM

... because I don't think they're all made equal.

They are all the same. This is the usual spread in electronics. You must know, electronic isn't a exactly thing. That depends on the quality of resistors, Capacitor, Asic-Chips and so on.

Yeah, I know...the same way GPUs don't all perform the same way with the same settings, sometimes. That's why I'd like the ability to adjust the clock speed independently, because some of them may respond better to different speeds.

As an aside...got this after switching back from 800MHz to 850MHz this morning, as an experiment. I WISH.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 »
  Print  

Jump to: