Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 08:18:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What should we do with the NYAN algorithm?
Change it to X-11 w/ same distribution
Change it to pure POS w/ same distribution
Change it to pure POS with decreased supply

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][NYAN] NyanCoin - ★★★V1.2 Released! Now Listed on Cryptsy! ★★★  (Read 80903 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
napoleon2121

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 03:41:36 PM
Last edit: March 31, 2014, 06:58:07 AM by napoleon2121

NEW POOL FOR NyanCoin
PROP PAYOUTS WITH VARDIFF
BASED AT ULTRA FAST EU 64GB/SSD HETZNER DETICATED SERVERS
0.5% FEES
JOIN US NOW
BRAND NEW MPOSS LOOK

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
session056

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 03:48:03 PM

Yes,I have been waiting for the new version. Grin Grin
Simcom

Activity: 336

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 03:56:46 PM

I disagree with a pure POS model. Sure, Pure POS would be great for people like me that have boatloads of coins, but it's bad if we want to grow the community.  Mining is the engine that drives community growth. New miners discover the coin, mine some, and support the coin now that they have acquired a stake in it's success. Without mining the coin would just be in a perpetual state of stagnation whereby only current coin holders gain interest and everyone else is shut out. It would be the worst possible scenario for a "fun, newbie friendly" coin like Nyan.  For this reason I prefer the hybrid x-11/POS option.
tyson187

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 04:05:52 PM

I disagree with a pure POS model. Sure, Pure POS would be great for people like me that have boatloads of coins, but it's bad if we want to grow the community.  Mining is the engine that drives community growth. New miners discover the coin, mine some, and support the coin now that they have acquired a stake in it's success. Without mining the coin would just be in a perpetual state of stagnation whereby only current coin holders gain interest and everyone else is shut out. It would be the worst possible scenario for a "fun, newbie friendly" coin like Nyan.  For this reason I prefer the hybrid x-11/POS option.

that is why atheistftwins is for the pure POS since he would benefit the most of it , he looks only after himself not the best intrest of nyancoin

Simcom

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 04:20:28 PM

that is why atheistftwins is for the pure POS since he would benefit the most of it , he looks only after himself not the best intrest of nyancoin

Regardless of what we choose, if the coin fails big holders have the most to lose - I'm sure he is arguing for what he thinks is best for the coin.
eschmenk

Activity: 140
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 04:22:37 PM

We don't have to worry about a 51% attack no matter what our marketcap is (as opposed to auroracoin which just died because of one)
Um, Auroracoin didn't die. The dev supposedly claims that there wasn't a 51% attack, either. I didn't verify that part, but I did verify that it's trading like normal, so it's obviously not dead. (I don't know why someone would want to hold that coin, but that's another matter.)

DOGE: D6LQ9A9XFgxKxwPRJZKocLUgJhWtWNaFcb     ECC: EX5YjWshEuJAed2tdu1ianrwMuP3fCSgsT     EMC2: ENgpQLmP9kLhTKfnEJQgSoJB1FJGKcP7z8
Bl4ckw00d

Activity: 810

https://ironx.io IRONX

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 04:26:40 PM

atheistftwins is one of the only people actively promoting this coin and trying to expand the coin.  In the DEVs long absences he kept promoting the coin so I would not say he is only looking after his own interests and not the coins as you would be incorrect.  I am also a significant bag holder and I can take or leave POS.  I would prefer the algo change over anything.  Atheist is entitled to his opinion as is everyone. So stop with the slander and sort out whatever problems you have in your sad miserable existence and take your negativity elsewhere.

▄██    ▐███████▄▄▄       ▄▄█████▄▄      ▄██▄      ▐██▄    ▒▓▓▄      ▄▓▓▒
     ███    ▐██▌▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ████▄     ▐██▌  ▐▓▄ ▀▓▓▄  ▄▓▓▀ ▄▓▌
     ███    ▐██▌      ███   ███▌      ███▌   ██████    ▐██▌   ▀▓▓▄ ▀▓▓▓▓▀ ▄▓▓▀
     ███    ▐██▌    ▄████  ▐███▌      ▐██▌   ███ ███▄  ▐██▌     ▀▓▓▄ ▀▀ ▄▓▓▀
     ███    ▐█████████▀▀   ▐███▌      ▐██▌   ███  ▀███ ▐██▌      ▓▓▓    ▓▓▓
     ███    ▐██▌   ▀███     ███▌      ███▌   ███    ██████▌   ▄▓▓▀ ▄▓▓▓▓▄ ▓▓▓▄
     ███    ▐██▌     ███    ▀███▄▄▄▄▄████    ███     ▀████▌  ▐▓▀ ▄▓▓▀  ▀▓▓▄ ▀▓▌
     ███    ▐██▌      ███     ▀▀██████▀▀     ███       ███▌    ▄▓▓▀      ▀▓▓▄
                  ▄▄▄█████▄▄▄▄
             ▄▄█▓▓▓▓▓█▀▀▀▀█▓▓▓▓▓█▄
           ▄▓▓▓█▀▀            ▀▀█▓▓█▄
         ▓▓▓█▀                    ▀▓▓█▄
       ▄▓▓▓▀                        ▀▓▓█
      ▄▓▓█                            █▓▓
      ▓▓▓                    ▄██▄     ▐▓▓█
     ▓▓▓                   ▄█▓▓▀       ▐▓▓▌
     ▓▓▓                 ▄█▓▓▀          ▓▓▓
     ▓▓▓       ▓▓▓▄    ▓▓▓▓▀            ▓▓▓
     ▓▓▓        ▀▓▓▓▄█▓▓▓▀             ▐▓▓▌
     ▀▓▓▓         ▀█▓▓█▀               █▓▓
      ▓▓▓▄                            ▓▓▓▌
       ▓▓▓█                         ▄█▓▓▀
        ▀▓▓█▄                     ▄▓▓▓█▀
          ▀▓▓▓█▄               ▄▄█▓▓█▀
            ▀▀█▓▓▓█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▓▓▓█▀
                ▀▀██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███▀▀
tyson187

Activity: 644

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 04:34:34 PM

atheistftwins is one of the only people actively promoting this coin and trying to expand the coin.  In the DEVs long absences he kept promoting the coin so I would not say he is only looking after his own interests and not the coins as you would be incorrect.  I am also a significant bag holder and I can take or leave POS.  I would prefer the algo change over anything.  Atheist is entitled to his opinion as is everyone. So stop with the slander and sort out whatever problems you have in your sad miserable existence and take your negativity elsewhere.

well look like you are ignorant as he is or even worse 
atheistftwins

Activity: 112

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 04:50:36 PM

I'm going to ignore Tyson187 since he is not making any real suggestions and just insulting people, but to answer your concern, this is why I think our problems can't be solved by just X-11 change:

Our problem has to do with the low volume fundamentally. The low volume happened because our market cap is so ridiculously low. Because of our low volume we can't get anybody to take the coin whether it is marketplaces or Cryptsy.

Second, our community will grow as long as there are people who hold the coin. Our current status is not encouraging community since we have so few miners (due to low network hash) and any miners who are not already long term holders are basically dumping the coin as soon as they mine it. I realize now we have a fundamental problem (had I realized this problem months ago I would have sold all my NYAN then, but since I didn't, here I am trying to work around it). That problem is, sure we have 7 million people following nyancat but 99.999999% don't know anything about crypto nor could they care less.

On the other hand, the people that actually build a coin, the crypto community, leave as soon as they see that the coin is not a good investment. The current version of the coin is not a good investment because:

We are under 20% of the way to the max coin count.
Our distribution is slow so our network hash is destined to be small.
Inflation and low volume make the coin unattractive to be accepted in any market.
We are attempting to cater to a community that frankly has proven they do not know or care about crypto.

X-11 changes nothing fundamentally about the coin, it just makes the GPUs cooler. This won't make a flood of people suddenly care about the coin.

Changing to POS is a different story, if we did that, then inflation would not be a problem. The coin would be rarer which would make people want to buy it more. We could start to build the volume we need for marketplaces. Once marketplaces take us, then we can make advertisements to the nyancat community and they will start to care since they can then buy things with the coin.

What is the best case scenario for X-11? We get a small boost of attention, maybe a few hardcore miners will stick around, but the price of the coin will not change since we would be helping the miners, not the investors. POS would be encouraging investors to buy the coin, which is what we need to save it.
atheistftwins

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 05:09:59 PM

We don't have to worry about a 51% attack no matter what our marketcap is (as opposed to auroracoin which just died because of one)
Um, Auroracoin didn't die. The dev supposedly claims that there wasn't a 51% attack, either. I didn't verify that part, but I did verify that it's trading like normal, so it's obviously not dead. (I don't know why someone would want to hold that coin, but that's another matter.)

I'm just going by the btctalk thread:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=546338.0
Simcom

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 05:37:57 PM

Our problem has to do with the low volume fundamentally. The low volume happened because our market cap is so ridiculously low. Because of our low volume we can't get anybody to take the coin whether it is marketplaces or Cryptsy.

Our problem is not low volume, it is low price.  The price is very low and continues to fall, the low price results in very few miners, very few investors, very little interest in the coin.

Second, our community will grow as long as there are people who hold the coin. Our current status is not encouraging community since we have so few miners (due to low network hash) and any miners who are not already long term holders are basically dumping the coin as soon as they mine it.

I don't think people holding the coin will cause the community to grow.  If anything lots of tipping on reddit, moving the coin around will allow the coin to grow.  A sudden spike in the price would also help (by driving miners to the coin, boosting it's position on coinmarketcap.com etc.)

I realize now we have a fundamental problem (had I realized this problem months ago I would have sold all my NYAN then, but since I didn't, here I am trying to work around it). That problem is, sure we have 7 million people following nyancat but 99.999999% don't know anything about crypto nor could they care less.

I agree with this.  Sure there are lots of people on the Nyancat facebook page but they have not been given a reason to care about nyancoin.  Some ideas that would change this:

1) Nyancoin incorporation into an ALREADY popular Nyan game.  Let people buy in-game items with 1-2 Nyan, let them earn nyan with a browser miner.  
2) Nyancoin incorporation into the Nyancat store
3) Special items in the Nyancat store that can only be purchased with Nyancoin
4) Special items in an already popular Nyancat game that can be purchased only with Nyancoin

On the other hand, the people that actually build a coin, the crypto community, leave as soon as they see that the coin is not a good investment. The current version of the coin is not a good investment because:
Inflation and low volume make the coin unattractive to be accepted in any market.
We are attempting to cater to a community that frankly has proven they do not know or care about crypto.

The root of our problems is low demand for the coin, and thus low price. A lot of these issues wouldn't really be problems if we just had some more demand for the coin.

X-11 changes nothing fundamentally about the coin, it just makes the GPUs cooler. This won't make a flood of people suddenly care about the coin.

Changing to X11 was not meant to be a game changer, brining in lots of new people - we just need to move away from scrypt because if we don't in one months time the Asics will start raping us - they will find every single block and immediately dump the coin, amplifying our current problem of low demand/low price.

Changing to POS is a different story, if we did that, then inflation would not be a problem. The coin would be rarer which would make people want to buy it more. We could start to build the volume we need for marketplaces. Once marketplaces take us, then we can make advertisements to the nyancat community and they will start to care since they can then buy things with the coin.

Changing to POS alone would not affect inflation.  Only a change in reward schedule would affect inflation.  (ie 337 coins every 1 minute would still continue to be true with POS). As far as building volume, that will ONLY come with more demand/ higher prices.

What is the best case scenario for X-11? We get a small boost of attention, maybe a few hardcore miners will stick around, but the price of the coin will not change since we would be helping the miners, not the investors. POS would be encouraging investors to buy the coin, which is what we need to save it.

Your main point is that POS will make the coin more rare which will increase investor demand, but this isn't true, 337 coins will continue to be produced every minute - just via POS not via mining.  We can of course change this to something lower, which might help the price problem that we have by reducing supply.  Maybe 33.7 coins every minute would be a good solution.  X11 is not being proposed to boost investor interest, it is being proposed to make mining viable once ASICs hit the market. I think you want the algo change to fix the fundamental problem that the coin has: no demand. I don't see POS or X11 increasing demand very much. But at least switching away from scrypt will allow the coin to still be mined by a normal GPU, keeping it accessible to everyday users.
atheistftwins

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 05:41:22 PM

Our problem is not low volume, it is low price.  The price is very low and continues to fall, the low price results in very few miners, very few investors, very little interest in the coin.

Second, our community will grow as long as there are people who hold the coin. Our current status is not encouraging community since we have so few miners (due to low network hash) and any miners who are not already long term holders are basically dumping the coin as soon as they mine it.

I don't think people holding the coin will cause the community to grow.  If anything lots of tipping on reddit, moving the coin around will allow the coin to grow.  A sudden spike in the price would also help (by driving miners to the coin, boosting it's position on coinmarketcap.com etc.)

I realize now we have a fundamental problem (had I realized this problem months ago I would have sold all my NYAN then, but since I didn't, here I am trying to work around it). That problem is, sure we have 7 million people following nyancat but 99.999999% don't know anything about crypto nor could they care less.

I agree with this.  Sure there are lots of people on the Nyancat facebook page but they have not been given a reason to care about nyancoin.  Some ideas that would change this:

1) Nyancoin incorporation into an ALREADY popular Nyan game.  Let people buy in-game items with 1-2 Nyan, let them earn nyan with a browser miner. 
4) Special items in an already popular Nyancat game that can be purchased only with Nyancoin

The root of our problems is low demand for the coin, and thus low price. A lot of these issues wouldn't really be problems if we just had some more demand for the coin.

Changing to X11 was not meant to be a game changer, brining in lots of new people - we just need to move away from scrypt because if we don't in one months time the Asics will start raping us - they will find every single block and immediately dump the coin, amplifying our current problem of low demand/low price.

Changing to POS alone would not affect inflation.  Only a change in reward schedule would affect inflation.  (ie 337 coins every 1 minute would still continue to be true with POS). As far as building volume, that will ONLY come with more demand/ higher prices.

Your main point is that POS will make the coin more rare which will increase investor demand, but this isn't true, 337 coins will continue to be produced every minute - just via POS not via mining.  We can of course change this to something lower, which might help the price problem that we have by reducing supply.  Maybe 33.7 coins every minute would be a good solution.  X11 is not being proposed to boost investor interest, it is being proposed to make mining viable once ASICs hit the market. I think you want the algo change to fix the fundamental problem that the coin has: no demand. I don't see POS or X11 increasing demand very much. But at least switching away from scrypt will allow the coin to still be mined by a normal GPU, keeping it accessible to everyday users.

The reason I'm saying pure POS, is because we need to change the distribution of the coin and the max supply. Our current model is just going to make things worse as we keep going. However, if we decrease the supply of the coin moving forward, then the hash rate will get so low that it will be ridiculous, thus POS instead of POW is the only way we can do that.

The thing is, we need some sort of game changer. Just making small adjustments will not save this coin. POS is a game changer that will be a gamble yes, but in a bear market for all cypto right now (last checked even bitcoin is only 450 right now), we need to gamble now or never.
Simcom

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 05:46:54 PM

The reason I'm saying pure POS, is because we need to change the distribution of the coin and the max supply.

But POS doesn't change inflation of the coin or the max supply...

These are separate issues.
eschmenk

Activity: 140

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 06:52:05 PM

I'm just going by the btctalk thread:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=546338.0
Yes, that is what I assumed. You shouldn't believe everything that you read around here, though(*).

The exchanges aren't worried and the coin is trading like normal after a brief scare. (The long-term trend is still down.)
https://www.cryptsy.com/markets/view/160
https://www.mintpal.com/market/AUR/BTC

This (in the thread that you referenced) reveals what happened:
I have fixed my block crawler and it is syncing to the correct chain. My wallets are kept neutral from the exchange wallets on purpose and I failed to update in time. I am currently out of town and failed to update before I left. It should be fully synced in a few minutes

Cryptsy was updated in time. There is nothing to worry about Smiley Sorry about that....

Note that mullick@cryptsy was talking about the block crawler that Cryptsy links to. It has this at the bottom:
Modified by Mullick for use by Alt Explorer - Trade Key: 94c590632c1f8113a3455b5008cba56d432d2b90

~BCX~ saw the problem and tried to stir up trouble just for LOLs or because he hates Auroracoin or whatever reason....

(*) But I really do have a great coin. You should invest! Don't worry, the premine is for, um, promotional expenses. Yes, that's the ticket! Really!

DOGE: D6LQ9A9XFgxKxwPRJZKocLUgJhWtWNaFcb     ECC: EX5YjWshEuJAed2tdu1ianrwMuP3fCSgsT     EMC2: ENgpQLmP9kLhTKfnEJQgSoJB1FJGKcP7z8
braxx

Activity: 392

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 07:13:41 PM

Our problem is not low volume, it is low price.  The price is very low and continues to fall, the low price results in very few miners, very few investors, very little interest in the coin.

I don't think people holding the coin will cause the community to grow.  If anything lots of tipping on reddit, moving the coin around will allow the coin to grow.  A sudden spike in the price would also help (by driving miners to the coin, boosting it's position on coinmarketcap.com etc.)

I agree with this.  Sure there are lots of people on the Nyancat facebook page but they have not been given a reason to care about nyancoin.  Some ideas that would change this:

1) Nyancoin incorporation into an ALREADY popular Nyan game.  Let people buy in-game items with 1-2 Nyan, let them earn nyan with a browser miner. 

Changing to POS alone would not affect inflation.  Only a change in reward schedule would affect inflation.  (ie 337 coins every 1 minute would still continue to be true with POS). As far as building volume, that will ONLY come with more demand/ higher prices.

Your main point is that POS will make the coin more rare which will increase investor demand, but this isn't true, 337 coins will continue to be produced every minute - just via POS not via mining.  We can of course change this to something lower, which might help the price problem that we have by reducing supply.  Maybe 33.7 coins every minute would be a good solution.  X11 is not being proposed to boost investor interest, it is being proposed to make mining viable once ASICs hit the market. I think you want the algo change to fix the fundamental problem that the coin has: no demand. I don't see POS or X11 increasing demand very much. But at least switching away from scrypt will allow the coin to still be mined by a normal GPU, keeping it accessible to everyday users.
It is that reason why I tought we could change to hefty
it has an internal voting system for the amount of coins as a block reward.
say you want less coin... vote low... you want more? vote high...
heavyoin has the option to vote between a 1 and 1024 coin reward.
At the moment the reward is voted to 550.
that is approx 50% of what miners can get...
it is a democratic battle between miners who want 1 coin and miners who want full reward...

it was just a tought, but it looks like I'm the only one who shares this vision Cheesy
ofcourse I will follow community's choice
atheistftwins

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 07:41:31 PM

The reason I'm saying pure POS, is because we need to change the distribution of the coin and the max supply.

But POS doesn't change inflation of the coin or the max supply...

These are separate issues.

I know, and agree that in a normal situation we would be able to adjust supply without relying on POS. However, given the current price of the coin, if we attempted to shrink supply of the coin without POS, the network hash would be unreasonably low. Anybody who felt like it could come by and kill the coin with a 51% if that happened.

My argument is just that, we need to start attracting real crypto investors. Continuing to hope that nyancat followers will actually buy the coin in its current state seems to be a bad decision. We also definitely need an algo change to keep up with the times. The only one that makes sense for me is POS and then we dramatically shrink supply.

If we could, I agree we should shrink supply and do X-11 instead. However, that's just impossible given the hash rates that would result in. I want the coin to succeed but honestly we need a real game changing move, not just a superficial facelift, to stand a chance.
Simcom

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 02:36:14 AM

It is that reason why I tought we could change to hefty
it has an internal voting system for the amount of coins as a block reward.
say you want less coin... vote low... you want more? vote high...
heavyoin has the option to vote between a 1 and 1024 coin reward.
At the moment the reward is voted to 550.
that is approx 50% of what miners can get...
it is a democratic battle between miners who want 1 coin and miners who want full reward...

it was just a tought, but it looks like I'm the only one who shares this vision Cheesy
ofcourse I will follow community's choice

You're voting for the hefty algo here, separate from the other features of heftycoin. I agree though, the hefty voting is a pretty neat feature.
napoleon2121

Activity: 266

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 06:58:31 AM

NEW POOL FOR NyanCoin
PROP PAYOUTS WITH VARDIFF
BASED AT ULTRA FAST EU 64GB/SSD HETZNER DETICATED SERVERS
0.5% FEES
JOIN US NOW
BRAND NEW MPOSS LOOK
Nyan-Coin (OP)

Activity: 85

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2014, 10:19:56 AM

Please make your final votes on the algorithm changes.

The options have been narrowed down based on the previous votes. Because of points brought up by atheistftwins, we feel it is not productive to try to implement a hybrid model. Therefore, the choices will be split between X11 and pure POS. Additionally, the the community should vote on whether to decrease supply of the coin going forward, thus making the current amount of NYAN the bulk of the expected coins. If this is done, then only POS is feasible as POW would not be able to sustain a high enough hash rate.

Poll will close in 48 hours and then implementation will begin.

nrhs05

Activity: 268

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 10:38:13 AM

Please make your final votes on the algorithm changes.

The options have been narrowed down based on the previous votes. Because of points brought up by atheistftwins, we feel it is not productive to try to implement a hybrid model. Therefore, the choices will be split between X11 and pure POS. Additionally, the the community should vote on whether to decrease supply of the coin going forward, thus making the current amount of NYAN the bulk of the expected coins. If this is done, then only POS is feasible as POW would not be able to sustain a high enough hash rate.

Poll will close in 48 hours and then implementation will begin.

If POS wins out, then there is ~41 million total, so i do not see any issue with doing this.  What kind of a return on POS for staking, and stake time were you looking at. Also, was there a total number if coins you were looking at getting from staking in the end.  Might be to early for these questions, just alot to ponder!

btc: bc1q3ll9xul5mpyq5vqgzdwj079xl2gxafhrgr3kq0
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 »
  Print  

Jump to: