Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 06:30:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Where do you expect to see EduCoin being used?
MOOCs and online
College/University
K-12
Crowdfunding / scholarships
Study abroad
Daily student expenses
Other

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][EDU] EduCoin | Blockchain Platform for Education  (Read 170104 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
fonzerrellie
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

Kaspa

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 06:22:40 PM

Very interesting. Just a question, what makes educoin stand out besides its target audience?

target audience and the goal of making education available to everyone (or at least everyone who wants one)  to create some positive change in our world, the potential for the coin to bring so many young minds into the crypto world Smiley

PS Ron Paul is a great man, but I was really hope'n he would have ran for vice beside Dennis Kucinich Smiley they'd make a great team

#Expanse $EXP 500 transactions 4 .1 EXP 1st Clone of ETH 
WAVES
sp00lin9

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 11:22:00 PM

What will you gain when changing to X11 at this stage? There are a total of 110,000,000,000 coins and you're already at 70,000,000,000. Changing your algorithm will not help you in new miners, etc, as the block reward is already so low.

I would suggest:

1. Really try to get on bittrex.com or so, as you don't have any exchange where you can use your coins, ok, lets stated it differently any good exchange.

2. I would go for POS, just allow people to mine 1 or 2 weeks using POW, but with a big amount of coins that they can mine, else nobody will mine it. Move to POS with a nice yearly return.

You cannot remove any coins... that is the biggest problem here. I've a third idea.

Basically this coin is dying, why not launch a new coin with x% pre-mine. Let this coin die, BUT reward the people that has been mining for you since the beginning, so what you will ask is, that people deposit their EDU coins to your wallet, based on the number of coins they will receive a part of the pre-mine coin. Launch a new coin with a lot less coins!!!! Everything above 10,000,000,000 is way too much.

Just think about it. Have a good marketing team for your coin to market it, and don't be afraid to pay (or invest) for it.

I completely agree that we should turn Educoin 100% PoS. The network security is dangerous due to low hashrate. ESPECIALLY, with the impending 250-300mh asics on the horizon!

Adatrader

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 11:38:05 PM
Last edit: May 22, 2014, 12:11:11 AM by Adatrader

What will you gain when changing to X11 at this stage? There are a total of 110,000,000,000 coins and you're already at 70,000,000,000. Changing your algorithm will not help you in new miners, etc, as the block reward is already so low.

I would suggest:

1. Really try to get on bittrex.com or so, as you don't have any exchange where you can use your coins, ok, lets stated it differently any good exchange.

2. I would go for POS, just allow people to mine 1 or 2 weeks using POW, but with a big amount of coins that they can mine, else nobody will mine it. Move to POS with a nice yearly return.

You cannot remove any coins... that is the biggest problem here. I've a third idea.

Basically this coin is dying, why not launch a new coin with x% pre-mine. Let this coin die, BUT reward the people that has been mining for you since the beginning, so what you will ask is, that people deposit their EDU coins to your wallet, based on the number of coins they will receive a part of the pre-mine coin. Launch a new coin with a lot less coins!!!! Everything above 10,000,000,000 is way too much.

Just think about it. Have a good marketing team for your coin to market it, and don't be afraid to pay (or invest) for it.

Ideas for Educoin2.0 :

Primary Goals:
- Put Educoin in the hands of people who could benefit from Educoin the most, the students and teachers across the world.
- Target college students with Scholarship program (sign up .edu email for your piece of the Educoin scholarship fund!)
- Contact http://www.arcademics.com/ and other similar websites to reward students who complete games/quizes in Educoin (doubles as a differentiation strategy to increase site traffic as well as teaching younger generations about cryptocurrencies, starting with Educoin)

We need a more sustainable total supply and I believe this a 100% PoS model would effectively provide that for the community. Due to the nature of PoS coins, (essentially 100% premine currencies), we could restructure the distribution strategy to allow for improvements such as:

Percentage Breakdown

50%      Evenly distributed to current Educoin holders

35%      Scholarship program directed at college students (redeem by signing up with college email ".edu" for verification)

10%      Funding for learning websites that reward students in Educoin. Incentivizes students to play learning games with a positive twist, a healthy conditioning of learning = reward
            which is beneficial for the young minds of our nations solving problems
            For reference, this should be enough proof of concept for most:
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/education/2008-01-27-grades_N.htm?csp=usat.me

2%    Donation for development work/coding (devs involved in harvesting)

3%    Bonus coins for Multipool to boost payouts for Educoin supporters

1%    Bounty for 1st Multipool (Scrypt/X11) for mining Educoin (providing healthy buy support)

.5%   Bounty for exchange involved in harvesting process

X%      Unclaimed balance. To deduce from 50% minted coins. For those who haven't switched during the swap period; we will keep that balance for 3 months (and those who are late would be able to claim their Educoin). After this period, unclaimed coins will be destroyed.

Approximate distribution figures:
Total Supply: 10.1 billion
- 5.05 billion (Minted edu)
- 3.53 billion (College Scholorship Program)
- 1.01 billion (Various Learning Websites)
- 200 million (Development work turning to PoS)
- 300 million (Bonus coins to promote mining in multipool)
- 100 million (1st Scrypt/X11 Multipool for EduCoin)
- 50 million   (Bounty for Exchange helping "harvesting" process)

Potential PoS Specifications:

- 15 sec block target
- Difficulty retarget each block
- PoS daily interest payout initially at 0.05% per day (equivalent to 22% annual interest rate), gradually dropping down to 0.01% per day (equivalent to 3.7% annual rate), the decrease will be over a period of 5 years (rate adjusted every 3 months). Then it will remain at this rate.
- Minimum holding time before the PoS will be generated: 1 day
- Max accumulated coin-day: 100 days

If you check out Distroblitz, they are a example of the following process that I feel would be an excellent choice for educoin:

They took the unstable Blitzcoin network, and through a "harvesting" process on bittrex, they converted Blitz to DistroBlitz at a 2:1 ratio.
With consideration of our total supply, I believe we should scale it down to a 20:1 ratio.

An individual merely needs to move their coins onto the exchange, bittrex disables the wallet temporarily and viola, moments later you have Educoin2.0 in your wallet at a 20:1 ratio.
EduCoin (OP)

Activity: 167

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 11:59:45 PM

Adatrader thank you for the detailed proposal. I just want the community to know that we are reading all of your comments carefully and so far there are excellent points being made.  Keep them coming!

-Edumoto
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 08:32:55 AM

Like this concept!

peace69

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 04:26:38 PM

We pass Pesetacoin on Mintpal!!! Roll Eyes

Keep voting guys!  We're rank 35 - now go after LEAF

=====  REMEMBER =========

"my fellow Coinmates: ask not what your EDUcoin can do for you—ask what you can do for your EDUcoin."

I vote 4 to 6 times a day!! Grin
fonzerrellie
Legendary

Kaspa

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 07:06:44 AM

So I came home from work tonight to find this little gem sitting in my email Cheesy Cheesy

Bill (Bittrex)

May 22 23:37

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your support. I'm a huge supporter of education in my free time so this coin certainly hits home. I'll add it to our launch candidate list next week. We're already packed with coin launches this weekend but I'll see if we can slip this in.

Thanks,
bill

WAVES
aumarx

Activity: 29

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 07:48:48 AM

1edu=$1 Cheesy
envist

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 05:29:42 PM

Anyone else ever notice the other educoin?

http://educoin.co/
fonzerrellie
Legendary

Kaspa

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 06:06:11 PM

Wow Crazy.... I just emailed them to ask whats up? and asked if they haven't launched yet to change their nae before hand unless they just want to further confuse crypto land and look like straight up newbs that don't know how to use google before they named their coin. lol (I put it nicely)
 and that their help and ideas would be more than welcome here.

and I just wrote bill at bittrex to remind him that we'd need it to be a EDU-BTC market, as well as another letter to the vault of satoshi Smiley

WAVES
gambel

Activity: 31

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 06:55:26 PM

It doesn't look like a cryptocurrency. Maybe you could contact them to use EduCoin as their virtual currency.
gambel

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 07:03:41 PM

@fonzerrellie: Why you keep requesting EDU-BTC pairing? There will be no volume. That would not be interesting for EDUCoin. We should have a DOGE or LTC pairing to get the ball rolling.
fonzerrellie
Legendary

Kaspa

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 07:58:13 PM

It doesn't look like a cryptocurrency. Maybe you could contact them to use EduCoin as their virtual currency.

interesting, you may be right... it may be an opportunity Wink

and I originally thought that too, but theres a lot of movement in the markets right now, with drk and such so I think the best option is btc for now if drk stablizes above ltc then a drk-edu would be awesome.   lol I'll buy a shwack load on bittrex when they add us Cheesy

WAVES
EduCoin (OP)

Activity: 167

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 12:28:36 AM
Last edit: May 24, 2014, 03:42:30 AM by EduCoin

Appreciate the comments, this forum is more active than ever.

@all: After a month of achievements for adoption, this week's discussion has centered around re-developing EDU's core. Cornelius and I agree with re-developing EDU from 1.0.1 directly to a 2.0 version.  While we are re-examining Proof of Stake as a possible direction, I want this community to know that my intent is to change to X11 (e.g. Darkcoin) in the near future.

Building a developers group is the main effort: As of yet, no one has signed up for the developers group, and so I want everyone to know that it will take time to transition from discussion to action. As lead developer, I cannot snap my fingers and make things happen by myself, nor is it my desire to serve the EDU community that way. I am looking to select a team that understands the EDU purpose and is committed to it long term. I am not going to invite people who bring obvious personal agendas which have more to do with affecting market price.

The student hackers who received EduCoin as winners of the hackathons we sponsored are most welcome to join.

The current agenda is as follows:
- We are focused on discussing the re-design of EDU, much more than voting
- We are building a developers group of experienced people who can help us re-build EDU
- Adoption efforts continue, and you can easily participate or create your own efforts through Reddit
- Getting listed on an exchange will happen by itself after the re-launch. But right now, let's not rush to our own deaths by pushing this

@fonzerrellie, as you can see Bittrex has not added EDU for next week's consideration. Exchanges often listen and do something entirely different.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, let's not continue pursuing them (nothing personal, just the timing is not right). There are bigger things we need to do, like getting the EDU developers group running.

@gambel: Getting liquidity with a DOGE or LTC pairing is not in this community's interest. If EDU 2.0 were launched today, I would disagree even further. For any coin to reach a stable floor price, Bitcoin is the gold standard. DOGE and LTC are altcoin derivatives which should come later.

@envist / @piggyj: Educoin.co is a private interest launched as a "virtual currency" by a group of students in Munich in 2013.  They are not affiliated or related to EduCoin, the open source cryptocurrency. Educoin.co appears to have been an idea contest project and their technology does not utilize Bitcoin. If anyone does decide to contact them, instead of asking them to change their name it would be more appropriate for them to actually begin using EduCoin's tech as their own.  That would help both their organization and the EDU digital currency mutually.

fonzerrellie
Legendary

Kaspa

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 06:34:55 AM

@all: After a month of achievements for adoption, this week's discussion has centered around re-developing EDU's core. Cornelius and I agree with re-developing EDU from 1.0.1 directly to a 2.0 version.  While we are re-examining Proof of Stake as a possible direction, I want this community to know that my intent is to change to X11 (e.g. Darkcoin) in the near future.

Building a developers group is the main effort: As of yet, no one has signed up for the developers group, and so I want everyone to know that it will take time to transition from discussion to action. As lead developer, I cannot snap my fingers and make things happen by myself, nor is it my desire to serve the EDU community that way. I am looking to select a team that understands the EDU purpose and is committed to it long term. I am not going to invite people who bring obvious personal agendas which have more to do with affecting market price.

The student hackers who received EduCoin as winners of the hackathons we sponsored are most welcome to join.

- We are building a developers group of experienced people who can help us re-build EDU
- Adoption efforts continue, and you can easily participate or create your own efforts through Reddit
- Getting listed on an exchange will happen by itself after the re-launch. But right now, let's not rush to our own deaths by pushing this

@fonzerrellie, as you can see Bittrex has not added EDU for next week's consideration. Exchanges often listen and do something entirely different.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, let's not continue pursuing them (nothing personal, just the timing is not right). There are bigger things we need to do, like getting the EDU developers group running.

@gambel: Getting liquidity with a DOGE or LTC pairing is not in this community's interest. If EDU 2.0 were launched today, I would disagree even further. For any coin to reach a stable floor price, Bitcoin is the gold standard. DOGE and LTC are altcoin derivatives which should come later.

@envist / @piggyj: Educoin.co is a private interest launched as a "virtual currency" by a group of students in Munich in 2013.  They are not affiliated or related to EduCoin, the open source cryptocurrency. Educoin.co appears to have been an idea contest project and their technology does not utilize Bitcoin. If anyone does decide to contact them, instead of asking them to change their name it would be more appropriate for them to actually begin using EduCoin's tech as their own.  That would help both their organization and the EDU digital currency mutually.

I think your right, If we're planning a 2.0 it's prob better to let the exchanges be right now and stick with what we have, at least we have a spot to buy the ones up that people seem so eager to sell Wink 

and I'm sure my email to the other edu people came off as more surprised than anything and encouraged them to participate in our community Smiley so hopefully they'll stop in to say hello Cheesy they deff have a cool video with some great idea's behind it.

I'll mention to our dev over at OC and see if is interested in helping us out, he did a great job with OC throughout it's mining period as well as it's switch to pos phase and seems to be pretty professional about his work. and might have more free time than placebo. (no promises)

thanks for the updates Smiley if I have any more thoughts I'll share

WAVES
gambel

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 07:55:47 AM
Last edit: May 24, 2014, 09:22:54 AM by gambel

@all: After a month of achievements for adoption, this week's discussion has centered around re-developing EDU's core. Cornelius and I agree with re-developing EDU from 1.0.1 directly to a 2.0 version.  While we are re-examining Proof of Stake as a possible direction, I want this community to know that my intent is to change to X11 (e.g. Darkcoin) in the near future.

@fonzerrellie, as you can see Bittrex has not added EDU for next week's consideration. Exchanges often listen and do something entirely different.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, let's not continue pursuing them (nothing personal, just the timing is not right). There are bigger things we need to do, like getting the EDU developers group running.

@envist / @piggyj: Educoin.co is a private interest launched as a "virtual currency" by a group of students in Munich in 2013.  They are not affiliated or related to EduCoin, the open source cryptocurrency. Educoin.co appears to have been an idea contest project and their technology does not utilize Bitcoin. If anyone does decide to contact them, instead of asking them to change their name it would be more appropriate for them to actually begin using EduCoin's tech as their own.  That would help both their organization and the EDU digital currency mutually.

1. You speak about a community deciding things, how is the decision process and how can people get involved?

2. Could you explain me why is this not in the community's best interest to have other pairings? There are people who started mining EduCoin thinking they could sell them 1-2 months later, your are now taking that possibility from them and forcing them to move to EduCoin 2.0 without any chance of getting out.

3. I invest every day 10-15 minutes making several votes on MintPal. If MintPal decides to add us as a EDU/LTC pairing, are you going to do the same as with coin-swap, asking them to remove us from their exchange completely?

4. I would like to support the coin and invest time in it, but the problem is that I feel there is no clarity in the future of it, so i'm not sure if I want to be behind it or not.

5. Uncertainty is the most dangerous thing for any investment. I would request you to make a roadmap and include now a decision on how you want to move forward, so everybody can decide if they are will to invest more time, hardware or money into it.

Getting frustrated again.

Gambel.
abalam

Activity: 154

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 05:31:40 PM

EduCoin [EDU] is now on Europex : https://www.europex.eu/#!coin/btc/edu
Only 0.12% exchange fee
Only 0.00002 BTC fee for instant BTC withdraw
gambel

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 07:38:30 AM

What happened to the Block Explorer? It's stuck for 2 days already...
PureDev

Activity: 42

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 07:59:14 AM

fonzerrellie
Legendary

Kaspa

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 09:05:28 AM

edumoto just resonded to that a page back Cheesy

WAVES
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »
  Print  

Jump to: