Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:00:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Where do you expect to see EduCoin being used?
MOOCs and online
College/University
K-12
Crowdfunding / scholarships
Study abroad
Daily student expenses
Other

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][EDU] EduCoin | Blockchain Platform for Education  (Read 170095 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Adatrader

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 05:24:39 PM

Appreciate the comments, this forum is more active than ever.

@all: After a month of achievements for adoption, this week's discussion has centered around re-developing EDU's core. Cornelius and I agree with re-developing EDU from 1.0.1 directly to a 2.0 version.  While we are re-examining Proof of Stake as a possible direction, I want this community to know that my intent is to change to X11 (e.g. Darkcoin) in the near future.

Building a developers group is the main effort: As of yet, no one has signed up for the developers group, and so I want everyone to know that it will take time to transition from discussion to action. As lead developer, I cannot snap my fingers and make things happen by myself, nor is it my desire to serve the EDU community that way. I am looking to select a team that understands the EDU purpose and is committed to it long term. I am not going to invite people who bring obvious personal agendas which have more to do with affecting market price.

The student hackers who received EduCoin as winners of the hackathons we sponsored are most welcome to join.

The current agenda is as follows:
- We are focused on discussing the re-design of EDU, much more than voting
- We are building a developers group of experienced people who can help us re-build EDU
- Adoption efforts continue, and you can easily participate or create your own efforts through Reddit
- Getting listed on an exchange will happen by itself after the re-launch. But right now, let's not rush to our own deaths by pushing this

@fonzerrellie, as you can see Bittrex has not added EDU for next week's consideration. Exchanges often listen and do something entirely different.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, let's not continue pursuing them (nothing personal, just the timing is not right). There are bigger things we need to do, like getting the EDU developers group running.

@gambel: Getting liquidity with a DOGE or LTC pairing is not in this community's interest. If EDU 2.0 were launched today, I would disagree even further. For any coin to reach a stable floor price, Bitcoin is the gold standard. DOGE and LTC are altcoin derivatives which should come later.

@envist / @piggyj: Educoin.co is a private interest launched as a "virtual currency" by a group of students in Munich in 2013.  They are not affiliated or related to EduCoin, the open source cryptocurrency. Educoin.co appears to have been an idea contest project and their technology does not utilize Bitcoin. If anyone does decide to contact them, instead of asking them to change their name it would be more appropriate for them to actually begin using EduCoin's tech as their own.  That would help both their organization and the EDU digital currency mutually.

1. You speak about a community deciding things, how is the decision process and how can people get involved?

2. Could you explain me why is this not in the community's best interest to have other pairings? There are people who started mining EduCoin thinking they could sell them 1-2 months later, your are now taking that possibility from them and forcing them to move to EduCoin 2.0 without any chance of getting out.

3. I invest every day 10-15 minutes making several votes on MintPal. If MintPal decides to add us as a EDU/LTC pairing, are you going to do the same as with coin-swap, asking them to remove us from their exchange completely?

4. I would like to support the coin and invest time in it, but the problem is that I feel there is no clarity in the future of it, so i'm not sure if I want to be behind it or not.

5. Uncertainty is the most dangerous thing for any investment. I would request you to make a roadmap and include now a decision on how you want to move forward, so everybody can decide if they are will to invest more time, hardware or money into it.

Getting frustrated again.

Gambel.

I was under the impression that FUncertaintyD is the altcoin motto. I agree that there needs to be more resources to get the community involved though. Starting with a transparent roadmap, irc for community discussions, and a website for polls to quickly gauge the community's opinions. I appreciate the votes on mp as I have done a fair amount as well!  Smiley

One thing I do not agree with is your repeated discussions regarding pairing with ltc and doge. Those are altcoins themselves that demolish the floor price for a BTC pairing. If you wish the community to support your ability to dump Educoin into the ground, I doubt they will agree. This has been an insane couple months in the altcoin market and the dev has stuck around and is constantly working to promote Educoin. In all honesty, I have seen altcoins with far less developments get pushed to absurdly high prices and I believe the branding and development behind Educoin will get us to a stable btc price. Please hold tight and wait for appropriate levels, as you will regret it later. For the time being, I will buy all of your holdings for Doge if you would like to deal with an escrow service.

Mutually beneficial as you wish to cash out and I would like to accumulate more Edu.  Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gambel

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 07:36:23 PM
Last edit: May 25, 2014, 07:55:41 PM by gambel

I was under the impression that FUncertaintyD is the altcoin motto. I agree that there needs to be more resources to get the community involved though. Starting with a transparent roadmap, irc for community discussions, and a website for polls to quickly gauge the community's opinions. I appreciate the votes on mp as I have done a fair amount as well!  Smiley

One thing I do not agree with is your repeated discussions regarding pairing with ltc and doge. Those are altcoins themselves that demolish the floor price for a BTC pairing. If you wish the community to support your ability to dump Educoin into the ground, I doubt they will agree. This has been an insane couple months in the altcoin market and the dev has stuck around and is constantly working to promote Educoin. In all honesty, I have seen altcoins with far less developments get pushed to absurdly high prices and I believe the branding and development behind Educoin will get us to a stable btc price. Please hold tight and wait for appropriate levels, as you will regret it later. For the time being, I will buy all of your holdings for Doge if you would like to deal with an escrow service.

Mutually beneficial as you wish to cash out and I would like to accumulate more Edu.  Wink

Hello Adatrader!

Well the problem is that all altcoins are just used as an investment or gambling product at the moment, to have less uncertainty there must be adoption. I'm aiming on a project myself where I want to use Educoins, so i'm interested in finding ways to use it.

I can't offer you any of my Educoins because I want to keep them and I insist into a ltc and doge pairing for two reasons: I would like to purchase some more (I started mining to late) and I think 1 BTC (Satoshi) is to expensive (I don't want to encourage people dumping the coins at that price). There are 6'177'251'170 Coins waiting to be sold/dumped in CryptoAltex.

If we want people to use it there must be liquidity. That is my point and I think short term miners would also be good for get everything in motion. This line in in coinmarketcap isn't a good business card for EDU:

98    EduCoin   $ 435,490   $ 0.000006   76,159,202,606 EDU   $ 0   +10.13 %

The price is fake, because there is no trade at all.

If the community agrees that they not want a DOGE or LTC pairing i'm ok with that. But I want to have some transparency on the process by the developers. I have invested quite a bit of money into it and I feel there is no way we can get involved into the decision process.

They could say tomorrow we make EDUCoin 2.0 and all the existing coins will just be converted in a ration of 1:10 and we would need to accept it.

I opened an account on coin-swap to buy some EDU and then 2-3 days later the developers closed it down. Sometimes I feel they are wasting my time, that is all.

At the moment I'm waiting to have a roadmap from the developers. If I'm not happy with their plans I may come back to accept your offer.

Thanks a lot.

Best Regards,

Gambel
EduCoin (OP)

Activity: 167

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 12:52:01 AM
Last edit: May 26, 2014, 01:33:26 AM by EduCoin

Adatrader, thank you for sharing this point:

Starting with a transparent roadmap, irc for community discussions, and a website for polls to quickly gauge the community's opinions.

In regards to a transparent roadmap, I hoped the roadmap would be self-evident in the publicly available actions and statements on record (in bitcointalks updates, cryptocoinsnews, and press releases).  Everyone contributing to the discussion here is involved in that transparent roadmap, however, for clarity I agree we could document that in either a 1-page sheet or a post. I will work on that shortly.

As developer, I do not plan to be a separate entity from those of you who comment and provide suggestions. The decision path for EDU requires input, and such words like "they" are unecessary when contrasting your point of view with mine--for example. We are all developers, especially those who can bring solutions to current and future projects. Let's just be sure to understand there is a wide difference between developer discussion and actual development.  We are in a developer discussion phase at the moment.

In regards to IRC, if anyone wants to arrange a freenode IRC that's great. We currently use Slack, it is composed of the founding developers, two or three teachers (in their own channel), and a few others.  I would love to see more people join in on the general chat. Ask for an invite by emailing satoshiedumoto@gmail.com

PS. Thanks to everyone for the Mintpal voting. Ideally we re-launch before getting listed on Mintpal and then things from there should get exciting.
fonzerrellie
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

Kaspa

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 01:58:10 AM

Adatrader, thank you for sharing this point:

Starting with a transparent roadmap, irc for community discussions, and a website for polls to quickly gauge the community's opinions.

In regards to a transparent roadmap, I hoped the roadmap would be self-evident in the publicly available actions and statements on record (in bitcointalks updates, cryptocoinsnews, and press releases).  Everyone contributing to the discussion here is involved in that transparent roadmap, however, for clarity I agree we could document that in either a 1-page sheet or a post. I will work on that shortly.

As developer, I do not plan to be a separate entity from those of you who comment and provide suggestions. The decision path for EDU requires input, and such words like "they" are unecessary when contrasting your point of view with mine--for example. We are all developers, especially those who can bring solutions to current and future projects. Let's just be sure to understand there is a wide difference between developer discussion and actual development.  We are in a developer discussion phase at the moment.

In regards to IRC, if anyone wants to arrange a freenode IRC that's great. We currently use Slack, it is composed of the founding developers, two or three teachers (in their own channel), and a few others.  I would love to see more people join in on the general chat. Ask for an invite by emailing satoshiedumoto@gmail.com

PS. Thanks to everyone for the Mintpal voting. Ideally we re-launch before getting listed on Mintpal and then things from there should get exciting.

PS your PS is a great idea/plan

#Expanse $EXP 500 transactions 4 .1 EXP 1st Clone of ETH 
WAVES
EduCoin (OP)

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 03:19:51 AM
Last edit: May 26, 2014, 07:55:12 AM by EduCoin

Very interesting. Just a question, what makes educoin stand out besides its target audience?

Hi Colin, welcome to the discussion. I think you are one of the student hackers we've met along the way, am I right?

To answer your question, I would have to say that EDU stands out because we have a real-world function for student transactions across a large portion of our lives. At one point or another we pay for education, whether it is for a tutor or school club activity or for college.  

While most of the altcoins are trying to gain a broad, dominant position as a Bitcoin alternative or as 'the next Bitcoin', our community is focused on utilizing bitcoin tech within a specific sector (what some people are calling a 'niche').  It's a pretty big niche valued at over 6 trillion dollars by 2017.  

We've said this previously, EduCoin is not as interested in advancing cryptocurrency for its own sake. EduCoin is interested in advancing education with cryptocurrency. That means our dev community will tailor the sourcecode to whatever works, but don't expect us to be pre-occuppied with pandering to the question, "What makes you special?"  To compare to another industry, this is just like a car buyer looking at a school bus and asking "What makes you special?"  It is pretty obvious what EDU is about. For its user base, it's pretty darn special.

edit. With all of the above said, we are not against EDU doing something at the technology level that is fundamentally different. In other words, could EDU become an "appcoin" which refers to utilizing the blockchain for something related to education. Absolutely it can, but that is up to future developers and perhaps institutions (in higher education) to develop.
Goattrading

Activity: 182

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 05:07:41 AM

Hello

Been way to busy lately. So it goes.

Something I find fun.....

There is a blog I follow that is a wealth of information, ideas and perspective, pertaining to "intersections of psychology, technology, business and encompasses user experience design, behavioral economics, and a dash of neuroscience", that everyone Including EDUcoin may find useful in future development plans.

The success of cryptocurrencies depends on far more then just good programing and/or an active trading community.. it requires that which causes people to want to hoard, use, distribute... an emotional investment that causes people to understand what cryptocurrencies are and an obsessive need to update or check on or use.... much like looking for new EDUcoin board posts or coin prices, collecting twitter follower, facebook updates, effort/reward... .....

Check it out or don't.

http://www.nirandfar.com

about the writer: "I write for TechCrunch, Forbes, Psychology Today, and am a frequent speaker at industry conferences and Fortune 500 companies. I’m the author of Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products and I have Lectured at the Stanford Graduate School of Business and Design School and have sold two technology companies since 2003....."

List of a few of the pertaining articles on the above site:

Can Online Apps Change Real-Life Behavior?

Teach or Hook? What’s the Real Goal of Online Education?

The Morality of Manipulation

How to Manufacture Desire: An Intro to the Desire Engine

Good Article regarding the same person:
"Secrets To Building A Totally Addictive App (Without That Guilty Feeling)"
http://www.fastcolabs.com/3029899/secrets-to-building-a-totally-addictive-app-without-that-guilty-feeling

Enjoy

“I never ask a man what his business is, for it never interests me. What I ask him about are his thoughts and dreams.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
EduCoin (OP)

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 08:59:42 AM

6 Options for Dogecoin's future, Which EDU should also consider:

From Coindesk: http://www.coindesk.com/what-dogecoin-must-do-survive/

While the development team could theoretically switch its proof of work algorithm (to X11 as used in Darkcoin), the doge community is really faced with six options:

1. Merge mine. Namecoin was (and is) an independent block chain, but since block 19,200 about 80-85% of its network hashrate (and block rewards) are tied to bitcoin mining pools through a process called “merged mining.”  The new sidechains project from Blockstream is attempting the same process.  Charlie Lee, creator of litecoin explained how dogecoin could be “merged mined” with litecoin in a series of posts last month.

2. Transaction fees. Both the development team and mining community could agree to float or raise transaction fees on the doge network, similar to what Mike Hearn has been discussing for bitcoin.  In practice however, even if approved, very little actual commerce, and therefore transactions, is conducted on the dogecoin network. Thus it is unlikely that this will compensate the large drop in mining income.  Similarly, as Gavin Andresen pointed out in Amsterdam this past Friday, increased transaction fees reduces the participation rate. It is important to note the actual transaction costs are much higher than stated – block rewards (token dilution) are usually not factored in.

3. Proof of stake. There are several variations of proof of stake.  Whereas bitcoin, litecoin, dogecoin and most other cryptocurrency experiments use a “proof of work” mechanism to protect the network from malicious entities, a proof of stake system, such as that used in NXT, will randomly assign a “mining node” called a “forger” – a poor marketing term for sure – to process all the blocks for the next minute.  Because all of the other nodes in the network know which miner to trust, this lowers the amount of infrastructure needed to protect the network.  In theory this sounds amazing.  In practice however, most proof of stake systems end up almost immediately centralized in one manner or the other. Andrew Miller, Andrew Poelstra and Nicolas Houy call it “proof of nothing”.  Perhaps Stephen Reed’s version can work in the future.

4. Increase in market price. This would incentivize the labor force to continue providing security of the network with the expectation that the tokens they are given in return for their labor will continually appreciate in value.  This is betting on hope.  Charlie Lee pointed out the uphill task this would require beginning next year when rewards fall to less than one tenth what they are today, stating last month, “At dogecoin block 600,000, only 10,000 coins will be created per block. So in order for dogecoin to keep the same amount of security as today, dogecoin price would need to go up by 25 times. And dogecoin price would need to gain on litecoin by 50 times in order to catch up on litecoin’s security. And assuming everything stays the same, the market cap of dogecoin needs to reach $1.5 billion by January of next year.”  For comparison, the ‘market cap’ of dogecoin today is roughly $35 million (note: it is probably not accurate to call it a ‘market cap,’ see Jonathan Levin’s explanation).

5. Migration.  Dogecoin could also migrate to a platform like Counterparty and become a fully secured altcoin with a dash of proof of transaction thrown in to inflate the coin with ongoing usage that this particular community likes to embrace. It could be fully protected by the bitcoin hashrate with no further need to try to acquire miners to protect it.

6. Further experimentation.  While it is unlikely the dogecoin has the resources to create secure production code in the shortened time frame, Robert Sams “growthcoin” and Ferdinando Ametrano’s “stablecoin” could provide a mechanism that enables the network to live on in a different manner.
Don007
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1007

Live like there is no tomorrow!

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 07:47:30 PM

I think adding Proof of Stake might make this coin gain more value.

People who don't have enough time for short term trading might buy EduCoins if it has a nice proof of stake, in order to receive some dividends for the coins the weren't going to use (for for example short term trading)

{Curently quite inactive as I'm really busy in my private life. I will get back soon!}

-> Your line here during my inactivity? Feel free to PM <-
placebo
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 10:34:45 AM

Always buy a coin for longer term, certainly at those levels...
COMKORT

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2014, 07:17:39 PM

EduCoin (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 03:37:15 AM

Developer Update: International School in Seoul, Korea

Through the magic of social media, two teachers from an international school located in the high tech city of Seoul, Korea have expressed interest in using EDU in their classrooms.  It is my pleasure to share with the community their classroom wallet addresses, as part of our ongoing EduCoin Seed Fund.  Please make a generous donation!

1. Scott D's Math/Science class
    Address: 6LAySeP9uvh5sKZphRLPWKSJq2ioewMGxy

Comment: "I want to educate my students about the possibilities that exist with a digital currency. My school is located in Korea. Being able to trade EduCoin with students all across the world could potentially give students insight into the capabilities of this technology."

2. Mathew G's Humanities class
    Address: 6MTQEze5ZBojzneqj7MEmR6qyKbxKoxMCd

Comment: "Originally I was thinking of forging our own coin using coingen.io, but I just came across EDU yesterday and now I'm re-evaluating things. At this stage I'm mostly just dreaming up ways of integrating crypto on a daily basis. Obviously I'd like them to learn some fundamentals of economics, but I'm also keen to explore ideas of de-centralization, autonomy, social justice, etc. And it'll make for a sweet in-class reward system, too--a system where they can use coins to transact for prizes, privileges and whatever. We're a 1-to-1 laptop school, so all the kids will have digital wallets, they'll be able to exchange both inside and outside the confines of the class, and maybe they'll be able to leverage this into something bigger. Who knows. I'm excited about the possibilities. Maybe we get a few competing currencies operating in the class too."
aumarx

Activity: 29

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 04:35:12 AM

educoin block explorer no working? Huh
EduCoin (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 05:22:05 AM

Aumarx, the block explorer comes and goes.
Bags85

Activity: 17

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 09:13:19 PM

email from support@cryptoaltex.com
EDU Market DeListed
Hello ****, CryptoALTeX will be shutting down soon due to lack of
volume and interest.  Please withdraw all balances. - Thanks Chiznitz

Thank you,

The CryptoALTeX Team
irc.freenode.net
#cryptoaltex
EduCoin (OP)

View Profile
June 02, 2014, 09:50:46 PM

That's really too bad, Chiznitz appeared to have a nice exchange and his attitude was in the right place. Wish him luck and hope he can get back into crypto in a bigger way next time. 

-Edumoto
uyvienn

Activity: 22

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 04:09:06 AM

"CryptoALTeX will be shutting down soon due to lack of
volume and interest.  Please withdraw all balances?" -> CryptoALTex dying...
Now EDU/BTC only here:
https://www.europex.eu/#!coin/btc/edu
Goattrading

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 04:43:36 AM

"CryptoALTeX will be shutting down soon due to lack of
volume and interest.  Please withdraw all balances?" -> CryptoALTex dying...
Now EDU/BTC only here:
https://www.europex.eu/#!coin/btc/edu

Newbie please  Wink

you can also trade @ https://comkort.com/market/trade/edu_btc

“I never ask a man what his business is, for it never interests me. What I ask him about are his thoughts and dreams.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
EduCoin (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 03:48:41 AM
Last edit: June 07, 2014, 04:12:45 AM by EduCoin

Update: EduCoin Road Map 2014  /  Call for Developers

ANNOUNCEMENT:  Call for Developers

Build Team
• Coin development wizards
• Math/Crypto/security experts
• Skilled compilers for Win / Mac / Unix

Mobile
• iOS Dev squad
• Android Dev squad

Web
• Wallet developer
• Tipbot developer
• Cowdfunding site developer (Educoin.tips similar to Dogeraiser.com)

Outreach
• Reddit moderator(s)
• Hackathons representative (currently Edumoto)
• Educator representative (currently Edumoto)

Development Fund for bounties
EDU: 6dEcuF3gBz4mebKVj96v4fau76AFHGYENn

peace69

Activity: 4

View Profile
June 08, 2014, 01:55:43 PM
Last edit: June 08, 2014, 06:03:58 PM by peace69

I think it would be more beneficial for the coin if you do 100:1 swap instead of 20:1.
In that case, the Available Supply of EDU would be 2 billion. I prefer to have 1,000,000 EDU with a real value  and not 5,000,000 with a low value.
Also, it would be easier to find DEV for a coin with 2 billion Available Supply (that is already high) than for a coin with 10 billion Available Supply (that's matter of business).
 Roll Eyes
EduCoin (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2014, 12:20:38 AM
Last edit: June 09, 2014, 07:43:53 AM by EduCoin

Thank you for the comment. We decided that we should reduce the total number of coins to 10 billion, not necessarily from an investor standpoint but from a usability analysis. The education sector is enormous at ~6 trillion dollars by 2017. Whole number transactions are still important, especially for student end users who may be using this digital currency daily. Figuring out EduCoin transactions in satoshis is not entirely practical when you consider that some of the younger students who use them may not know the decimal system to eight places.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »
  Print  

Jump to: