Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 10:10:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ZTEX USB-FPGA Modules 1.15x and 1.15y: 215 and 860 MH/s FPGA Boards  (Read 182335 times)
ztex (OP)
Donator

Activity: 367
Merit: 250

ZTEX FPGA Boards

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2011, 08:01:52 PM

A Power supply selection guide which should help to find a suitable power supply has been added to the Wiki. (A link to this description is also the Products page.)

If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeepBit
Donator

Activity: 532
Merit: 501

We have cookies

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2011, 08:14:01 PM

"Universal power supplies (the ones with switchable output voltage) from the supermarket or electronic stores. These supplies should be stabilzed since they have to work with a wide range of consumer electronics" - one of the worst PSUs I ever had was the universal transformator-based 1A supply from the supermarket :)

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net ~ 3600 GH/s, Both payment schemes, instant payout, no invalid blocks !
Coming soon: ICBIT Trading platform
gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 08:21:08 PM

A Power supply selection guide which should help to find a suitable power supply has been added to the Wiki. (A link to this description is also the Products page.)

This is the way of future customer losses. I think you should only advice PC power supplies with your boards.

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
ztex (OP)
Donator

ZTEX FPGA Boards

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2011, 09:10:03 PM

"Universal power supplies (the ones with switchable output voltage) from the supermarket or electronic stores. These supplies should be stabilzed since they have to work with a wide range of consumer electronics" - one of the worst PSUs I ever had was the universal transformator-based 1A supply from the supermarket Smiley

I suppose this one has no switchable output voltage.

If the voltage is switchable the power supply needs voltage regulators.

ztex (OP)
Donator

ZTEX FPGA Boards

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2011, 10:29:37 PM

I reworked the Power supply selection guide again.

I think if I write "The peak voltage of the power supply must be less than 16 V (absolute maximum: 18 V) and the minimum voltage must be at least 4.5V" and "Power supplies from unused consumer electronics, e.g. routers, switches" are "Possible sources of supply" it should be clear, that a 20V(-peak) PSU from a router is a bad choice.

Furthermore I wrote, that switching supplies are always regulated. I.e. if one wants to be absolutely sure, one purchases a "12V switching power supply" e.g. from Ebay

gusti
Legendary

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 10:47:48 PM

I reworked the Power supply selection guide again.

I think if I write "The peak voltage of the power supply must be less than 16 V (absolute maximum: 18 V) and the minimum voltage must be at least 4.5V" and "Power supplies from unused consumer electronics, e.g. routers, switches" are "Possible sources of supply" it should be clear, that a 20V(-peak) PSU from a router is a bad choice.

Furthermore I wrote, that switching supplies are always regulated. I.e. if one wants to be absolutely sure, one purchases a "12V switching power supply" e.g. from Ebay

If you search on ebay, you may also come to this 12 vdc power supply. Same as I used.

You may also add to your wiki : "Manufacturer now warns that this boards have absolutely no protection, so any problem with power supply will fry the boards themselves, with no recourse or warranty at all".

Thanks.

cicada

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 10:49:40 PM

For those in the US, these might be a good choice.  Maybe even outside the US with an appropriate adapter, not sure about shipping $$.  They're cheap and well regulated, mainly meant for powering arduino-type projects.  Both are $5.95 USD with low volume discounts.

I'm not sure of the current requirements, these are rated about 600-650mA  I'm not sure if that's measured at 9/12V DC or 110/220V AC - I'd assume the measurement is AC since 0.6A @ 12V is very little power.  I could be wrong, someone should correct me who knows better.

9V @ 650mA - http://www.sparkfun.com/products/298

12V @ 600mA - http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9442

The SparkFun guys are a great bunch, I've gotten lots of hobby supplies from them.

Team Epic!

All your bitcoin are belong to 19mScWkZxACv215AN1wosNNQ54pCQi3iB7
DeepBit
Donator

We have cookies

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2011, 10:54:52 PM

"Universal power supplies (the ones with switchable output voltage) from the supermarket or electronic stores. These supplies should be stabilzed since they have to work with a wide range of consumer electronics" - one of the worst PSUs I ever had was the universal transformator-based 1A supply from the supermarket Smiley
I suppose this one has no switchable output voltage.
If the voltage is switchable the power supply needs voltage regulators.
Yes, it has voltage selection. I think it was using different windings of the transformer. Nowhere near the stated voltages and enormous ripple.

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net ~ 3600 GH/s, Both payment schemes, instant payout, no invalid blocks !
ztex (OP)
Donator

ZTEX FPGA Boards

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2011, 11:00:54 PM

I wrote "switching power supplies are stabilized".

If you search on ebay, you may also come to this 12 vdc power supply. Same as I used.

If you omit "switching" you can find it ...

gusti
Legendary

View Profile
December 05, 2011, 11:07:19 PM

I wrote "switching power supplies are stabilized".

If you omit "switching" you can find it ...

That's right, anyway you did not mentioned "switching" when I asked you first. You also did not mention to be specially careful, to do prior measures or have the power supply being tested by a knowledge party, because boards have no protection.

You need to specify all of the above, or more customers will have losses.

ztex (OP)
Donator

ZTEX FPGA Boards

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2011, 12:02:02 AM

That's right, anyway you did not mentioned "switching" when I asked you first. You also did not mention to be specially careful, to do prior measures or have the power supply being tested by a knowledge party

But I mentioned that the valid voltage range is 4.5V to 16V.

I'm not responsible if your PSU delivers more than stated on the label.

because boards have no protection

Please read the post from Enigma81: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=49180.msg639147#msg639147

gusti
Legendary

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 12:37:31 AM

That's right, anyway you did not mentioned "switching" when I asked you first. You also did not mention to be specially careful, to do prior measures or have the power supply being tested by a knowledge party

But I mentioned that the valid voltage range is 4.5V to 16V.

I'm not responsible if your PSU delivers more than stated on the label.

because boards have no protection

Please read the post from Enigma81: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=49180.msg639147#msg639147

I'd read Enigma's post. You are not responsible if PSU delivers more than expected, but you MUST warn your customers about the fry situation. Specially if you choose the design way of not adding an additional zener diode for further protection.

Your boards are too dangerous for average customer use.

DeepBit
Donator

We have cookies

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2011, 12:54:31 AM

No, they aren't. Those posts start looking like FUD.
I understand that you are upset because of your loss, but we see that other people agree about good enough board design.

gusti
Legendary

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 01:03:45 AM

I understand that you are upset because of your loss, but we see that other people agree about good enough board design.

Excuse me, but not FUD, only facts. The design has no protection (fact), and will burn with any overvoltage (fact).
Customers must be warned, as I was not.

ztex (OP)
Donator

ZTEX FPGA Boards

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2011, 01:14:20 AM

The design has no protection (fact), and will burn with any overvoltage (fact).

Herewith I warn: Boards may be damaged, if they are operated out of specifications.

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 01:14:28 AM

Excuse me, but not FUD, only facts. The design has no protection (fact), and will burn with any overvoltage (fact).
People like this are the reason that coffee cups have a "WARNING: HOT" label on them.
DeepBit
Donator

We have cookies

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2011, 01:14:56 AM

Not "any" overvoltage, +33% over 12 V is pretty good headroom.

gusti
Legendary

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 01:31:23 AM

The design has no protection (fact), and will burn with any overvoltage (fact).

Herewith I warn: Boards may be damaged, if they are operated out of specifications.

Not enough, let me help with a warning you should put in writing, if you really care about your customer's money.

"Dear Customer : these boards are not designed with overvoltage protection, and will burn themselves if you happen to choose a power supply that is not exactly regulated. Please take this into account, and choose only switching PC-type power supplies, do an output measure reading before using it, or use at your own risk".

Enigma81

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 05:38:44 AM

This is the last time I'm personally going to get involved in this discussion..  It's over in my mind and ztex stands as "NOT a scammer", to me anyway..

The specifications state that these boards may be operated from 4.5 to 16V.  WHAT MORE OF A WARNING LABEL DO YOU NEED?

Danger, if exposed to a bath tub, ztex boards may no longer function.

Caution, if exposed to a lightning strike, ztex boards may no longer function.

Warning, ztex boards were not designed for use at temperatures like those found at the center of the sun.  Operation inside of the sun is not guaranteed.

Notice, do not take ztex boards swimming with you.

You've really gotten to the point of hysteria with this whole topic.  NONE OF THE PRODUCTS YOU OWN are protected against over voltage - Literally NONE of them.  Hook your 30, 40, 50 thousand dollar vehicle up to 110V and watch what happens (it's pretty awesome, by the way).  Hook your cisco/linksys/d-link product up to reverse voltage or double voltage and see what happens.

ztex very clearly states that the boards operate from 4.5 to 16V.  I don't see how the specifications could possibly be any more clear.  It's like a vehicle tire - they have a speed rating - S, for instance means 112MPH.  There is no further warning.  The speed rating tells you that it's safe to operate the tire continuously at 112MPH.  At 113MPH, the tire may explode, but there isn't a bright orange warning label on the side of the tire..  It's been stated, and doesn't need to be stated again..

I'm glad ztex added a wiki entry about power supplies, but I will defend his old specifications - they were plenty clear.  He simply can't be responsible for you providing power far outside the specification - which from the burnt chips, you clearly did.

If you'd like to PM me, I'll even let you send me the power supply in question (3com) and I'll tell you beyond doubt whether it hurt the ztex board or something else did.  I have hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of test equipment at my disposal, and I will be able to see if that supply is dangerous to the ztex power supply or not.  Beyond that offer though, I'm ignoring this thread.

Enigma.
gusti
Legendary

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 12:04:27 PM

This is the last time I'm personally going to get involved in this discussion..  It's over in my mind and ztex stands as "NOT a scammer", to me anyway..

The specifications state that these boards may be operated from 4.5 to 16V.  WHAT MORE OF A WARNING LABEL DO YOU NEED?

Danger, if exposed to a bath tub, ztex boards may no longer function.

Caution, if exposed to a lightning strike, ztex boards may no longer function.

Warning, ztex boards were not designed for use at temperatures like those found at the center of the sun.  Operation inside of the sun is not guaranteed.

Notice, do not take ztex boards swimming with you.

You've really gotten to the point of hysteria with this whole topic.  NONE OF THE PRODUCTS YOU OWN are protected against over voltage - Literally NONE of them.  Hook your 30, 40, 50 thousand dollar vehicle up to 110V and watch what happens (it's pretty awesome, by the way).  Hook your cisco/linksys/d-link product up to reverse voltage or double voltage and see what happens.

ztex very clearly states that the boards operate from 4.5 to 16V.  I don't see how the specifications could possibly be any more clear.  It's like a vehicle tire - they have a speed rating - S, for instance means 112MPH.  There is no further warning.  The speed rating tells you that it's safe to operate the tire continuously at 112MPH.  At 113MPH, the tire may explode, but there isn't a bright orange warning label on the side of the tire..  It's been stated, and doesn't need to be stated again..

I'm glad ztex added a wiki entry about power supplies, but I will defend his old specifications - they were plenty clear.  He simply can't be responsible for you providing power far outside the specification - which from the burnt chips, you clearly did.

If you'd like to PM me, I'll even let you send me the power supply in question (3com) and I'll tell you beyond doubt whether it hurt the ztex board or something else did.  I have hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of test equipment at my disposal, and I will be able to see if that supply is dangerous to the ztex power supply or not.  Beyond that offer though, I'm ignoring this thread.

Enigma.

Thanks for your insights, but remember the fact that I did not plugged the boards to 380v or did I exposure them to heat or something like that. I only had the bad luck to use a power supply with (maybe) slightly unregulated output. This is what ztex says, and as I'm not an engineer, I give credit to him.

As ztex is not supplying an original PS, I believe this will not be the last case when a customer will use a power supply that will be out of specifications. Customers must be warned to be careful with this. And I still believe manufacturer need to take some responsibility and refunding the failed boards.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »
  Print  

Jump to: