Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:46:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive Avalon Avalon2 Setup [HD]  (Read 31271 times)
cnupo

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 02:57:23 AM

Hi Dogie... is it normal to have 50% Discarded shares? (avalon2 with wrt703n latest firm. mining on ghash.io)
actualy should I care about these shares ? do they reflect on earnings ?
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dogie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2014, 11:34:28 AM

We are getting close to compensation. I now can reach the "OpenWrt LuCI Authorization Required" web page. Username has root already typed in for it. I tried root for the password too and it did not work. Where can I find the password for my tplink tl-wr703n router? Do I have to do a reset? Thank you.

Try password, admin, root and nothing. Or google, this information is out there.

It was '123'. Now I can log in. I see more than 8 tabs to adjust settings. I also see a tab for cgminer configurations. I do not know how to adjust these settings. I have bfgminer, and I prefer to continue using bfgminer for mining bitcoin with the Avalon 2 units. Do you know how to configure these settings on OpenWrt Overivew LuCI or run bfgminer from the linux terminal with a command after I log in? Thank you.

Seminer
I thought you meant the emergency WRT page. Nevermind.

Just enter your pool information into the cgminer page, that's all you have to do. No, you can't use BFGminer within WRT.

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2014, 11:35:14 AM

Hi Dogie... is it normal to have 50% Discarded shares? (avalon2 with wrt703n latest firm. mining on ghash.io)
No its not normal, you may have set a clock speed that doesn't run properly. I found anything but default just created an exact amount of discarded shares.

cnupo

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 12:06:24 PM
Last edit: April 05, 2014, 12:32:57 PM by cnupo

I found it too ... but I am running at DEFAULT !!!! I think it occured after flashing the newest firm on wrt703n ..

No its not normal, you may have set a clock speed that doesn't run properly. I found anything but default just created an exact amount of discarded shares.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2014, 12:32:52 PM

DiffA          DiffR on 20140201
4,804,802 20,614

cnupo

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 12:57:57 PM

4,804,802 20,614

After flashing 20140201 discarded shares dropped bellow 10%... so .. the newest firm sucks ..
Thank you man...

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2014, 01:02:44 PM

4,804,802 20,614
After flashing 20140201 discarded shares dropped bellow 10%... so .. the newest firm sucks ..
Thank you man...

No problem. If its the same as what I was seeing when OCing, its a software problem rather than hardware and doesn't actually impact hash rate. Still not great though.

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2014, 12:56:28 AM

Updated 'other guides in the series' to new style.

seminer

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 12:43:23 AM

We are getting close to compensation. I now can reach the "OpenWrt LuCI Authorization Required" web page. Username has root already typed in for it. I tried root for the password too and it did not work. Where can I find the password for my tplink tl-wr703n router? Do I have to do a reset? Thank you.

Try password, admin, root and nothing. Or google, this information is out there.

It was '123'. Now I can log in. I see more than 8 tabs to adjust settings. I also see a tab for cgminer configurations. I do not know how to adjust these settings. I have bfgminer, and I prefer to continue using bfgminer for mining bitcoin with the Avalon 2 units. Do you know how to configure these settings on OpenWrt Overivew LuCI or run bfgminer from the linux terminal with a command after I log in? Thank you.

Seminer
I thought you meant the emergency WRT page. Nevermind.

Just enter your pool information into the cgminer page, that's all you have to do. No, you can't use BFGminer within WRT.

Hey Dogie,

I am still struggling. I am still having problems setting up my avalon 2 units. Do you know any references, forums, or other sources that can help me finish this configuration? I am using a Minepeon software with my raspberry pi. I log in, restart, and reboot the "miners." Under devices, it still says no devices running. I switched my 4 port usb hub with a 7 port usb hub. I don't know what is preventing me. Please help.

Sincerely,

Michael Scholz
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2014, 02:56:22 AM

Hey Dogie,

I am still struggling. I am still having problems setting up my avalon 2 units. Do you know any references, forums, or other sources that can help me finish this configuration? I am using a Minepeon software with my raspberry pi. I log in, restart, and reboot the "miners." Under devices, it still says no devices running. I switched my 4 port usb hub with a 7 port usb hub. I don't know what is preventing me. Please help.

Sincerely,

Michael Scholz

Exactly what time of Avalon2 hardware do you have?

baileys2611

Activity: 41

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 06:20:03 AM

Just taken ownership of 2 * Avalon2 singular modulars (105ghz ea).  Having read all the documentation and forum posts that I can, it looks like these devices *can not* be recognised natively on a laptop using unbuntu 12.04 and compiling cgminer or bfgminer with support to see them. 

Is that correct?

I've seen one post which mentions how to compile cgminer with the avalon2 driver, and I can see that my avalon2 is registering at /dev/ttyUSB1 but when I run cgminer with "sudo ./cgminer -S /dev/ttyUSB1 -o stratum+tcp://globe.suprnova.cc:3333 -u [my miner] -p [my password] --avalon2-voltage 10000 --avalon2-freq 1500 --avalon2-fan 100" then I get a detection that an avalon 2 device is present, but no communication with it.

Just want to confirm that you can or cannot connect avalon2 single modulars directly to a laptop via USB and run a miner that way, or do I need to fork out more $ for something else in order to use these devices?
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 06:28:02 AM

Just taken ownership of 2 * Avalon2 singular modulars (105ghz ea).  Having read all the documentation and forum posts that I can, it looks like these devices *can not* be recognised natively on a laptop using unbuntu 12.04 and compiling cgminer or bfgminer with support to see them. 

Is that correct?

I've seen one post which mentions how to compile cgminer with the avalon2 driver, and I can see that my avalon2 is registering at /dev/ttyUSB1 but when I run cgminer with "sudo ./cgminer -S /dev/ttyUSB1 -o stratum+tcp://globe.suprnova.cc:3333 -u [my miner] -p [my password] --avalon2-voltage 10000 --avalon2-freq 1500 --avalon2-fan 100" then I get a detection that an avalon 2 device is present, but no communication with it.

Just want to confirm that you can or cannot connect avalon2 single modulars directly to a laptop via USB and run a miner that way, or do I need to fork out more $ for something else in order to use these devices?

You may be able to, but I'm not aware of the exact string to do so in cgminer directly, there are just way too many options. Pick yourself up a TP Link WR703N and run WRT, it will pay itself back within a few weeks off the power savings for a laptop.

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 07:28:15 AM

Oh, you're missing --enable-avalon2!

baileys2611

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 12:20:22 PM

ok, with the TPlink, I can hook up a hub and run two modules I assume, shouldn't be a problem.

Problem is, I'm using a laptop anyway with other miners and have a wireless 4g hotspot serving ip addresses to devices that I connect.  I'll likely be plugging in the TPlink to my laptop anyway and assigning the tplink a manual ip adress.  Sounds like it's not going to work already.

How does everyone else get their TPlink to connect to another wireless network?
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 12:23:13 PM

ok, with the TPlink, I can hook up a hub and run two modules I assume, shouldn't be a problem.

Problem is, I'm using a laptop anyway with other miners and have a wireless 4g hotspot serving ip addresses to devices that I connect.  I'll likely be plugging in the TPlink to my laptop anyway and assigning the tplink a manual ip adress.  Sounds like it's not going to work already.

How does everyone else get their TPlink to connect to another wireless network?
The TP links aren't wireless, they need an ethernet in unless you get one of the big ones. They output a single USB, but you can put a powered USB hub in between miner(s) and the TP link.

baileys2611

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 12:31:11 PM

No worries, so I'd plug the ethernet into my ethernet port on the laptop.  The laptop is connected to my hotspot.  I'd need to set up some how so that the tplink can 'talk' through my laptop to get traffic from the hotspot.  Cannot plug the tp directly into a router.  Am I stuffed?

by the way, the --enable-avalon2 you mentioned before, I think you mean enable that when compiling the miner.  Did that and I get an error on compiling. might be worth getting an earlier version and compiling that perhaps?
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 12:39:16 PM

No worries, so I'd plug the ethernet into my ethernet port on the laptop.  The laptop is connected to my hotspot.  I'd need to set up some how so that the tplink can 'talk' through my laptop to get traffic from the hotspot.  Cannot plug the tp directly into a router.  Am I stuffed?

by the way, the --enable-avalon2 you mentioned before, I think you mean enable that when compiling the miner.  Did that and I get an error on compiling. might be worth getting an earlier version and compiling that perhaps?
Its just a cgminer option when running, but its required.

Have a go giving internet to things via your laptop's ethernet port. If you can with other devices, you'll be able to with the TP link.

baileys2611

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 10:58:43 PM

Guess what?? I GOT IT WORKING! I cannot believe that I did this, it's like a high that seriously I'm waiting to end.

Geez these things are loud though, going to have to find a way to make it quieter.

What I had to do to get it working under ubuntu 12.04 without needing a tplink was use cgminer 4.0.0 - the latest cgminer (currently 4.2.3) when compiled with --enable-avalon2 comes up with an error on compiling which relates to the Avalon2 driver.  Apparently this is enough for it not to be able to use the ttyUSB port.  So, I compiled v.4.0.0 and lo, all of a sudden it started up.

Now to figure out how to get the noise down a notch 'cause this is in my room and wow! It moves some serious air.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 11:04:37 PM

Guess what?? I GOT IT WORKING! I cannot believe that I did this, it's like a high that seriously I'm waiting to end.

Geez these things are loud though, going to have to find a way to make it quieter.

What I had to do to get it working under ubuntu 12.04 without needing a tplink was use cgminer 4.0.0 - the latest cgminer (currently 4.2.3) when compiled with --enable-avalon2 comes up with an error on compiling which relates to the Avalon2 driver.  Apparently this is enough for it not to be able to use the ttyUSB port.  So, I compiled v.4.0.0 and lo, all of a sudden it started up.

Now to figure out how to get the noise down a notch 'cause this is in my room and wow! It moves some serious air.
See end of section 2 for a cooling mod, makes it silent at about $30.

baileys2611

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2014, 12:56:06 AM

Thanks Dogie,

Much kudos for sharing the knowledge and responding.  You're a good person (pats on the head  Wink
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: