Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 05:27:27 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [GUIDE] GridSeed GC3355 5 Chip Setup/power/windows/linux/rpi by UnicornHasher  (Read 365542 times)
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 8990

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2014, 08:46:14 PM

Yes the hashrate displayed is basically (time elapsed x some constant x frequency x 5). So in that sense, hardware errors don't affect hashrate, at all. The way I do it, increment a hashes variable and time_spent_hashing variable, when a HW error occurs the hashes isn't incremented, but the time_spent_hashing is, and thus hashrate drops. That is the way it should be IMO, to get an accurate estimation of how HW errors affect the hashrate. Not using any of those, but Lighningasic firmware (which uses cpuminer) has per chip auto overclocking ATM.

Can you explain (or provide a link to) how the auto overclocking feature works? Thanks.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=554542.msg6155656#msg6155656

Thanks, this sounds good. I have a few controllers laying around so I think I'll check out your firmware.
CartmanSPC
Legendary

Activity: 1270
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 11:42:12 PM

Prolly being biased, but you guys should throw away the Rpi and switch to Lightningasic firmware, we now have an auto-overclocking feature that will overclock each individual chip (5 chips per Gridseed miner). Also the reject rate is close to 0, I've been getting 99.91% accepted running over 24 hours at Ghash.io.
BTW, Jack is making a test rig with 100 miners connected on a single controller, I will have a pic up to prove it.

Thanks sandor111. I actually have a few wiibox's that I have never used. Will load up your firmware and let you know how it does. Great job on tuning per chip as I have seen that each chip can be pushed to different levels.

Edit: threw away my Pi over a week ago!  (threw away=returned to store)  Cheesy

CartmanSPC
Legendary

Activity: 1270
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 11:54:42 PM
Last edit: April 11, 2014, 07:54:58 AM by CartmanSPC

Yes the hashrate displayed is basically (time elapsed x some constant x frequency x 5). So in that sense, hardware errors don't affect hashrate, at all. The way I do it, increment a hashes variable and time_spent_hashing variable, when a HW error occurs the hashes isn't incremented, but the time_spent_hashing is, and thus hashrate drops. That is the way it should be IMO, to get an accurate estimation of how HW errors affect the hashrate. Not using any of those, but Lighningasic firmware (which uses cpuminer) has per chip auto overclocking ATM.

Yea, I knew that about cgminer. I think both are beneficial...but yes, the hashrate cgminer provides does not take into account HW errors. I believe WU shows hashrate minus HW errors but it is currently not accurate/broken. I suspect no one has looked at that part of the code to make it work with Gridseed miners.

orenjuice5

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 03:50:31 AM

Anyone can help a newbie out please

I got my gridseed, connected it with my laptop using the 3.7.2 CGminer for gridseed and set up my pools. I am mining at the switching profit pool at waffle.

For some reason CGminer stop reporting shares being accepted after 2-5 minutes and only shows the difficulty change on the pool and informing me when blocks are being found but it stops to submitting shares.

There is no error code and the reported hash rate is about 362KH (850MH). When I restart CGminer I get error message that there is no device found but there is no error prior to me restarting CGminer. What I have to do to get it working again is close CGminer remove the USB cable and put it back in and then open CGminer again. It will work for a few minutes and then stop submitting shares again....

I disabled the go to sleep mode on the laptop so I am not sure why this keeps on happening.

I know its not a pool problem because my GPU rig is working fine at waffle and the problem is happening even when I switch to a different pool

Anyone has any thought or suggestions?

Please help

Thanks
dmz241

Activity: 519
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 04:19:45 AM

Anyone can help a newbie out please

I got my gridseed, connected it with my laptop using the 3.7.2 CGminer for gridseed and set up my pools. I am mining at the switching profit pool at waffle.

For some reason CGminer stop reporting shares being accepted after 2-5 minutes and only shows the difficulty change on the pool and informing me when blocks are being found but it stops to submitting shares.

There is no error code and the reported hash rate is about 362KH (850MH). When I restart CGminer I get error message that there is no device found but there is no error prior to me restarting CGminer. What I have to do to get it working again is close CGminer remove the USB cable and put it back in and then open CGminer again. It will work for a few minutes and then stop submitting shares again....

I disabled the go to sleep mode on the laptop so I am not sure why this keeps on happening.

I know its not a pool problem because my GPU rig is working fine at waffle and the problem is happening even when I switch to a different pool

Anyone has any thought or suggestions?

Please help

Thanks

Just let it run. I am new here to I seem to be having different problems. But with waffle please take note that it changes difficulty and therefore it takes longer to mine coins. For example if the pool switches from Litecoin to Doge it will find more shares. Let it run for about 24 hrs and see how it goes. If you like try and mine https://dgc.d2.cc/index.php mine dgc here they have small difficulty and you can always trade them for btc which is what waffle does. I have been switching between them to see the best result not sure which one to use.
orenjuice5

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 04:44:02 AM

Thanks

but the problem happens even when I mine small difficulty coins, after about 2-5 minutes CGminer stop submitting shares... I can wait for over an hour and the total number of shares submitted remains the same...

the only way ot make it work again is to shut down CGminer, take the USB cable out and reconnect and then it will work again for a few minutes.

Anyone has any advice?

Thanks
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 8990

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2014, 04:48:00 AM

Thanks

but the problem happens even when I mine small difficulty coins, after about 2-5 minutes CGminer stop submitting shares... I can wait for over an hour and the total number of shares submitted remains the same...

the only way ot make it work again is to shut down CGminer, take the USB cable out and reconnect and then it will work again for a few minutes.

Anyone has any advice?

Thanks

Have you tried reconnecting the USB cable with cgminer still running? Make sure to run it with hotplug parameter.

If that doesn't work try bfgminer (you'll need to uninstall Zadig drivers).
orenjuice5

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 05:31:30 AM

Yes, I have the hotplug set to 30, should I change it?Huh

Yes if this doesnt work I will try BFGminer,

Anyone has any experience this problem? what might be the cause of this?

I only have 1 Gridseed running before I buy more, but wanted to see how it works first

Thanks again for all your help

Oren
dmz241

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 05:36:13 AM

Yes, I have the hotplug set to 30, should I change it?Huh

Yes if this doesnt work I will try BFGminer,

Anyone has any experience this problem? what might be the cause of this?

I only have 1 Gridseed running before I buy more, but wanted to see how it works first

Thanks again for all your help

Oren

Do let me know how to uninstall the driver I am new here too would like to try the bfgminer also.

As for your problem look under your power settings if the pc is not closing the usb hubs. Post your .bat file here maybe there is a mistake in that.
orenjuice5

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 05:50:31 AM

Thanks for your help

here is the bat file

cgminer.exe --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://uswest.wafflepool.com:3333 -u bitcoinaddress -p x -o stratum+tcp://ca.suchcoins.com:3334 -u username-p x -o stratum+tcp://scrypt1.poolwarz.com:3333 -u 11284.1 -p x --failover-only --gridseed-options=baud=115200,freq=850,chips=5 --hotplug 30

pause

Where can I check if the power setting shut down the USB??? I set it up so it will only dim the screen and not go to sleep for 5 hours, but the problem happens after a few minutes and I can see no shares being submitted for hours...

thanks again for all your guidance out there....

i am very new to this and highly appreciate all your efforts

Thanks
dmz241

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 06:05:22 AM

Which windows are you running for me I was using windows xp (it varies from windows to windows) so I right clicked on my computer went to properties>> Device Manager
Scrolled down to Universal Serial Bus Controllers expanded them then right click on all the USB Root Hub individually go to their properties>> Then look for Power management Tab on top click on it and it should say something like allow computer to switch off ... uncheck that on all the USB Root Hub.

BTC Address:1MQgDfn3b4RETVMABNzKB3oqbu6e8pTd5Z
Donate to a newbie Wink
orenjuice5

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 06:24:23 AM

Thanks, I will try that

but the problem occurs even if the screen is still on, I changed the setting for the computer to go sleep after 5 hours and the problem still occurs.

very strange...

dmz241

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 06:38:34 AM

It has nothing to do with the screen. From what I can see you might be running windows 7 just go to start and search for device manager and do the same as I told you to do in windows xp since it can still turn it off.

BTC Address:1MQgDfn3b4RETVMABNzKB3oqbu6e8pTd5Z
Donate to a newbie Wink
Ferris419

Activity: 1008
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 05:40:18 PM
Last edit: April 11, 2014, 06:36:22 PM by Ferris419

Is anyone here running multiple gridseeds at different frequencies on windows? If so can you please help me out I have been trying to figure this out for a few days now with no luck!! Thanks in advance!

***edit. I figured it out :-D

Bitcoin is gonna hit 100K usd
Ranma13

Activity: 17

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 05:13:29 AM

I'm trying to get 80 Gridseeds working across 4 Raspberry Pi's (24 Gridseeds for each Raspberry Pi using Monoprice 24-port USB hubs). However, I'm running into an issue with btbartle's cgminer:

https://i.imgur.com/wbdUUuA.png

It looks like the Gridseeds are hashing, but only 3 of them have submitted shares, and a very low amount at that (and strangely, it always increments by a power of 2). Does anybody have any idea why this is happening? I've tried using the default 600 MHz speed and also using cpuminer, but the results are always the same.

I've finally figured out the source of the problem. It was the power adapters! I purchased 4 of the 20-Gridseed bundles, so I received 10 power adapters (each one can power 8 Gridseeds). After pulling my hair out for weeks, I finally narrowed the problem down to the power adapters. Only 2 of the 10 I received were working properly when powering multiple Gridseeds. When I cracked them open, it became really obvious as to why:

https://i.imgur.com/TKh1lyr.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/LfOVqlI.jpg

Look at those capacitors bulging! All 10 of them had bulging capacitors. The capacitors in the 2 power adapters that were working had the least amount of bulge, but they were bulging as well. The worst ones were even leaking, and one even had a capacitor that was loose and barely connected!

If you're using one of these power adapters and are having issues where your Gridseed miners look like they're hashing, but are not submitting shares after a few hours, you can run this simple test to see if the power adapter is at fault:

Plug the barrel connector of the power adapter directly into a Gridseed and listen to the fan noise. It should be a fairly audible whir. Next, plug the 8-to-1 barrel splitter into the power adapter, then plug one of the barrel connectors on the splitter into the Gridseed. Listen to the fan noise again. If it sounds the same, your power adapter is working properly. If it sounds like it's spinning slower, then you have a bad power adapter.

I've since switched all my Gridseeds to use an ATX power supply and now they're happily hashing away.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 05:22:28 AM

Ok. I've been using a cheap ATX power supply to power some gridseeds, now I'm going to really hack it (cut the wires). I take it, from all the googling I've done, all the yellow wires are 12 volts positive, and I just need to use the closest black wire as the ground. So that gives me power from the molex, the sata, the cpu, and the main atx bunch of wires.

I'll let you guys know. This PSU won't be used for anything else.

Ranma13

Activity: 17

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 05:39:25 AM

Ok. I've been using a cheap ATX power supply to power some gridseeds, now I'm going to really hack it (cut the wires). I take it, from all the googling I've done, all the yellow wires are 12 volts positive, and I just need to use the closest black wire as the ground. So that gives me power from the molex, the sata, the cpu, and the main atx bunch of wires.

Yes, for the Molex connectors, the yellow is 12V, the red is 5V, and the blacks are the grounds. I would recommend that you stick to Molex connectors because you can easily buy or find the male connectors and solder them to barrel connectors to make them removable. You can buy 8-to-1 barrel splitters on eBay, cut the end off, and solder it to a Molex connector.
Dabs
Legendary

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 10:44:28 AM

Yes, for the Molex connectors, the yellow is 12V, the red is 5V, and the blacks are the grounds. I would recommend that you stick to Molex connectors because you can easily buy or find the male connectors and solder them to barrel connectors to make them removable. You can buy 8-to-1 barrel splitters on eBay, cut the end off, and solder it to a Molex connector.

From everything I've researched, all yellow wires are 12V, so I'm going to use all the yellow wires, maybe maximum of 5 gridseeds (in scrypt only mode) per yellow / black pair. This includes even the ones for the cpu and the 20/24 connector for the motherboard.

I've already shorted the green wire for always on operation.

Dabs
Legendary

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 01:44:52 PM

Connected 5 per. Then after 3 minutes, one set of 5 died. The bad thin wire melted. I bought some speaker wire that was defective, but it was only 3 meters (10 feet) long, so I'm not going to bother having it replaced. It's colored black and red, the red one is corroded all throughout. So I just replaced that one with another black wire, but noted that it should still be positive.

The rest of the power wires use 18 AWG or equivalent, no problems there.

GSpgh

Activity: 532
Merit: 302

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 06:04:25 PM

Could someone please help me understand what the errors mean in the picture below. If I get  58 errors and 416 accept does it mean I'm losing 10-15% hashrate for that miner. Would it make more sense to run it at a lower speed instead? Thanks.

Pages: « 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 »
  Print  

Jump to: