Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 10:40:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 [105] 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 »
  Print  
Author Topic: GekkoScience NewPac / Terminus R606 (BM1387) Official Support Thread  (Read 61355 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (1 post by 1+ user deleted.)
primaris

Activity: 16
Merit: 2

View Profile
August 10, 2021, 03:37:41 AM

Hi guys,

I’ve just bought a used R606 Terminus on eBay, but it didn’t come with any cords. I’ve sourced a power adapter, but I can’t seem to figure out which type of USB cord the device needs to connect to my computer. Does anyone know what type it is? I’d really appreciate the help!
MoparMiningLLC
aka Stryfe
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 2255

EIN: 82-3893490

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2021, 03:44:49 AM

Hi guys,

I’ve just bought a used R606 Terminus on eBay, but it didn’t come with any cords. I’ve sourced a power adapter, but I can’t seem to figure out which type of USB cord the device needs to connect to my computer. Does anyone know what type it is? I’d really appreciate the help!

its a mini usb on the miner side and standard usb on the pc side.

Mine BTC @ kano.is
Offering escrow services https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5154480
All Bitcoin 3D printing needs at CryptoCloaks
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4508
Merit: 1819

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
August 10, 2021, 03:58:48 AM

Yeah it's like the old PS3 controller connection as you can see in the pic above on the right,
it's not a micro-usb or usb-c like on android phones.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
primaris

View Profile
August 10, 2021, 01:14:55 PM

Yeah it's like the old PS3 controller connection as you can see in the pic above on the right,

Thanks! I’ll try to get it on Amazon.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 2567

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
August 10, 2021, 02:07:25 PM

You should also be able to find the USB-A to mini-USB cables at gas stations. drug stores, hardware stores, etc. They are sold everywhere usually near the checkout. Just be sure they are labeled as charge + data or sync to make sure it is not a charging-only cable.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
primaris

View Profile
August 10, 2021, 04:58:57 PM

Thank you!
primaris

View Profile
August 11, 2021, 06:17:00 PM

Hi guys,

Sorry to bother you all again, but my cable arrived (thanks for the info!) and I’ve got my R606 running on CGMiner now, but I’m seeing some readout info that I don’t understand, and I was hoping someone could enlighten me!

First thing is:

I’m seeing 0: GSI 0 - R606 Bitcoin Miner (10040525) in between the ‘accepted…’ share messages that scroll down the screen;

Second thing is:

I’ve got the R606 USB directly plugged into my computer in case that matters, I’ve got the appropriate power supply, and I’m running it at setting 3, 420 mV. But the WU seems to fluctuate… it’s reading “75.1% WU: ^68%” but it fluctuates up to 100% on both counts sometimes. Is there something wrong with it, or is that normal given the power setting?

Right now it’s putting out 500 Gh/s but again, that fluctuates.

Do you guys think it’s okay? Also, what does 75.1% WU: ^68% mean?

Thanks again guys!
MoparMiningLLC
aka Stryfe
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2021, 06:33:45 PM

Hi guys,

Sorry to bother you all again, but my cable arrived (thanks for the info!) and I’ve got my R606 running on CGMiner now, but I’m seeing some readout info that I don’t understand, and I was hoping someone could enlighten me!

First thing is:

I’m seeing 0: GSI 0 - R606 Bitcoin Miner (10040525) in between the ‘accepted…’ share messages that scroll down the screen;

Second thing is:

I’ve got the R606 USB directly plugged into my computer in case that matters, I’ve got the appropriate power supply, and I’m running it at setting 3, 420 mV. But the WU seems to fluctuate… it’s reading “75.1% WU: ^68%” but it fluctuates up to 100% on both counts sometimes. Is there something wrong with it, or is that normal given the power setting?

Thanks again guys!

here is a screenshot of my cgminer (this is for 4 R606's)

that first line you asking about is from below right? I see those occasionally and for each of my R606's - not sure what they mean. As for your other question, the WU changes on mine as well for example in the screenshot above my first miner shows WU as 70.6 and as I now write this it shows 98% - I believe this references how the hash rate compares to the target. When the hash rate increases so will the WU.

maybe some others can chime in as well.

Mine BTC @ kano.is
primaris

View Profile
August 11, 2021, 06:49:45 PM
Last edit: August 12, 2021, 03:21:06 AM by primaris

Hi guys,

First thing is:

Second thing is:

Thanks again guys!

https://i.ibb.co/pzhsNVQ/image.png

here is a screenshot of my cgminer (this is for 4 R606's)

that first line you asking about is from below right? I see those occasionally and for each of my R606's - not sure what they mean. As for your other question, the WU changes on mine as well for example in the screenshot above my first miner shows WU as 70.6 and as I now write this it shows 98% - I believe this references how the hash rate compares to the target. When the hash rate increases so will the WU.

maybe some others can chime in as well.

Thanks a lot for the clarification. Sounds like everything is fine then! My Newpaks also fluctuate, but less, and they’re the only miners I’ve had until this point. I’ve ordered a Futurebit Apollo BTC, super excited about running my own node and getting a more powerful miner! That said, I love Gekkoscience products, and I’m hoping to accumulate a bunch of them. I’m pointing all my Gekkoscience gear at CKPool… something about the (remote) possibility of mining a block gives me hope every day. But the Apollo will probably be pool mining. If only I had a bigger place, I’d fill it with these things! Anyways, thanks again.
gt_addict

Activity: 2492
Merit: 621

View Profile
August 26, 2021, 09:55:03 PM

Well the issue has returned. Managed to get it to run at 500m V5 for a while, then just starts resetting the Target lower and lower until it just ends in a boot loop kind of thing.

Any ideas anyone?

My guess is you have fallen victim to the temp sensor.  Its a very well known issue so perhaps you should contact whom you purchased from to find out what, if anything, you can do.  Selling it on e-Bay the way it is isn't the solution.

If you can get an answer from your provider then perhaps you can decide which way to proceed; otherwise its rather unscrupulous to pawn it off on on somebody else without providing the above information.

I was meant to update this. Its got me stumped. Currently running at 600m V5 for the past couple of days without issue. It could well be a problem with the Pi instead. But I don’t know. It works fine when it works. When the issue arose then it would take a couple of power cycles and then it would work fine on stock settings.

**SUPPORT SIDEHACK** Miner Development Donations to:  1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr

Donations/Tips to:-   1GTADDicTXD1uachKKgW24DZDxDGhSMdRa

Join Bitconnect: https://bitconnect.co/?ref=gtaddict
Brewzr

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 26, 2021, 09:58:43 PM

Hi guys,

First thing is:

Second thing is:

Thanks again guys!

Welcome to the mining community.

WU is for Work Utility.  Its a measurement of how much you are distributed from the pool.  It will bounce up and down for the most part until you have a very stable vardiff that doesn't change.  Variable difficulty is sent by the pool to establish the best connection speed and "work" your units are able to provide without getting clogged or waiting too long for a response.  Each pool has their own rules as to how much is the "goldilocks" rate so don't worry too much about that.  The version of CGMiner used for the Gekkoscience products are auto adjustiing and will find the best rate based on what you're putting into the startup file.

Once everything settles down you should see a balance that changes very little.  For example: 8 Newpacs @ 500mhz will start out at less than 70% but after an hour or so will be at 98% and 95% WU.  If you 'Overclock" have a good fan on them.
gt_addict

View Profile
August 26, 2021, 10:39:55 PM

I was meant to update this. Its got me stumped. Currently running at 600m V5 for the past couple of days without issue. It could well be a problem with the Pi instead. But I don’t know. It works fine when it works. When the issue arose then it would take a couple of power cycles and then it would work fine on stock settings.

I would suggest removing all other sources of interference and working from the bare minimum to start.  Replace the USB cable; they are notorius for failing and causing these types of issues. Try plugging into another processing unit or pc to see if the issue persists.  Eliminate the Pi as an issue before moving on.

Yep tried three different cables all all experienced the same thing. Can’t try another pc as its windoze 10 and an arse.

Coincidentally this evening after knocking my desk, the cable moved and the problem started again. I’m going to take a look at the micro usb socket on the board and see if I can replace it.

**SUPPORT SIDEHACK** Miner Development Donations to:  1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr

Brewzr

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 27, 2021, 12:29:56 AM

I would suggest removing all other sources of interference and working from the bare minimum to start.  Replace the USB cable; they are notorius for failing and causing these types of issues. Try plugging into another processing unit or pc to see if the issue persists.  Eliminate the Pi as an issue before moving on.

Yep tried three different cables all all experienced the same thing. Can’t try another pc as its windoze 10 and an arse.

Coincidentally this evening after knocking my desk, the cable moved and the problem started again. I’m going to take a look at the micro usb socket on the board and see if I can replace it.

Ah, okay...... so the issue has been somewhat narrowed.  Unfortunate that a weak connection may be the culprit. Just as a point of reference I had something similar happen a few months back where it would start hashing and then immediately fade to nothing.  Turned out there was too much draw on the one supply I was using although it was the same it had always been.  I changed psu's and "eh voila" it was back.  Still running strong at 738.   As you replied to me on e-Bay I am interested and do have several Newpacs available that are no longer in use if you're interested in a trade/exchange.  Would be great if you could get the pod sorted first of course, ha ha.
gt_addict

View Profile
August 27, 2021, 06:15:06 AM

Ah, okay...... so the issue has been somewhat narrowed.  Unfortunate that a weak connection may be the culprit. Just as a point of reference I had something similar happen a few months back where it would start hashing and then immediately fade to nothing.  Turned out there was too much draw on the one supply I was using although it was the same it had always been.  I changed psu's and "eh voila" it was back.  Still running strong at 738.   As you replied to me on e-Bay I am interested and do have several Newpacs available that are no longer in use if you're interested in a trade/exchange.  Would be great if you could get the pod sorted first of course, ha ha.

Yea the aim is to sort the pod first before sale. Hence the high price aswell. Thanks for th offer of the exchange but I’ve had Newpacs and sold them to get the R606. Now im trying to sell the R606 to get the new ferrari sticks. Basically trading up at each generation.

MoparMiningLLC
aka Stryfe
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2021, 12:51:58 PM

It could be where the usb connects the board - does your r606 have the notch cut out where the usb plugs in? One of mine had an issue and it was the one without the notch. Sidehack replaced/repaired the board and gave me a case with the notch cut out. I am currently running 4 of these with no issues. What are you selling your pod for @gt

Mine BTC @ kano.is
gt_addict

View Profile
August 27, 2021, 01:00:37 PM

It could be where the usb connects the board - does your r606 have the notch cut out where the usb plugs in? One of mine had an issue and it was the one without the notch. Sidehack replaced/repaired the board and gave me a case with the notch cut out. I am currently running 4 of these with no issues. What are you selling your pod for @gt

It looks like an issue with the port. My cable always seems to stress upwards. Currently have something wedged in to hold the cable level and it seems to have done the trick. Running 625m no issues. As soon as I take the "wedge" out it starts acting up.

Ive got one with the notch and an orange/beige PCB. Just finished work so going to investigate further, got some replacement ports coming soon so hoping a port replacement will sort it.

Only selling as I'm hoping to grab a couple of Ferrari sticks and only have so much desk real estate to play with. Plus the electricity cost of course. I know im mining at a loss anyway here in the UK but if I can reduce the electricity cost then its obviously better.

I have the Gekko Hub and Fan Stand sitting on the shelf from when I had the Newpacs, so its only the sticks I need.

Also its sidehacks gear so can run it through cgminer and not have any problems mining to the pool I like  Wink

MoparMiningLLC
aka Stryfe
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2021, 01:17:41 PM

It looks like an issue with the port. My cable always seems to stress upwards. Currently have something wedged in to hold the cable level and it seems to have done the trick. Running 625m no issues. As soon as I take the "wedge" out it starts acting up.

Ive got one with the notch and an orange/beige PCB. Just finished work so going to investigate further, got some replacement ports coming soon so hoping a port replacement will sort it.

Only selling as I'm hoping to grab a couple of Ferrari sticks and only have so much desk real estate to play with. Plus the electricity cost of course. I know im mining at a loss anyway here in the UK but if I can reduce the electricity cost then its obviously better.

I have the Gekko Hub and Fan Stand sitting on the shelf from when I had the Newpacs, so its only the sticks I need.

Also its sidehacks gear so can run it through cgminer and not have any problems mining to the pool I like  Wink

ok so not the notch issue - if it has to be angled up that port is prolly def the issue. good luck at getting it fixed. I think I see yours on ebay its the only one there and its in the UK Smiley

And I agree - love sidehacks gear for sure.

Mine BTC @ kano.is
gt_addict

View Profile
August 27, 2021, 04:36:38 PM
Last edit: August 27, 2021, 05:16:42 PM by gt_addict

Also its sidehacks gear so can run it through cgminer and not have any problems mining to the pool I like  Wink

ok so not the notch issue - if it has to be angled up that port is prolly def the issue. good luck at getting it fixed. I think I see yours on ebay its the only one there and its in the UK Smiley

And I agree - love sidehacks gear for sure.

Yea going to take it off ebay for now until im certain its sorted. Just wanted to sell it and give myself time to buy the new sticks. But I'd rather sell good gear than anything with problems (which I thought were resolved  Roll Eyes )

EDIT:

I hopefully optimistic. Took it apart for a closer inspection. Tried the USB cable in it and noticed it had some free movement. Also noticed that on the port itself is some sprung tabs which locate on pockets on the cable. I nudged them down a bit and the cable grips really nicely now. Plugged it all back in and shes on her way upto 700m V5 on the first try!! Just keeping my fingers crossed she stays stable now.

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 2567

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
August 27, 2021, 06:27:44 PM

Why on earth do so many folks point to Amazon, eBay et al for components? God only knows what quality they are - odds are, not the best...
There are plenty of real component distributors in the world such as Mouser, DigiKey, Newark, etc. that sell top-quality components made by trustworthy manufacturers and sold at a very decent price.

Stuff from Amazon et al are so cheap for a very good reason...

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
gt_addict

View Profile
August 27, 2021, 07:57:02 PM

Also its a Mini USB port so not that easy to come by round my way. But I have found a place and ordered some. IF it needs changing I will but I’m hoping its just because my cable is stressed all the time that its given itself a bad connection, which hopefully I’ve resolved.

Pages: « 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 [105] 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 »
  Print  

Jump to: