Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 02:20:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ... 111 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin 100: Developed Specifically for Non-Profits  (Read 262670 times)
jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 21, 2011, 04:30:42 PM

sorry to pop in like this, jjiimm_64 are you affiliated with bit-pay ?

I am not affiliated with bit-pay, but since it was free for the charity, I thought it appropriate to show them that it is easy to integrate a btc donation path.

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 21, 2011, 05:05:35 PM

I believe our first step, besides picking a small list of charities, which should not be too difficult as there is certainly no shortage. Is to write up a good approach letter to use as a template. I have some work to do about 40 minutes out of town today but can work on drawing something up when I return this evening. If no one else has already writtin such a letter, that is. I will present it here for proof reading. We should have our defacto representative present it though. Thougts on this?

Cheers,
   Derek

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2011, 06:14:02 PM

It was bugging me so I rounded us back up to 100 BTC.  Now give it away  Angry  Wink

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 21, 2011, 06:16:41 PM

I don't want to break up the flow you guys have going here but I just thought of a good example of a charitable organisation which I would refuse to fund:

The Internet Watch Foundation.  IWF is an incorporated charity, limited by guarantee. Charity No. 1112398.

I have to admit though that it's very hard to find charitable organisation which I would refuse to fund.  I'm pretty certain I'll say yes to all of the first 100 anyway.
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2011, 06:42:38 PM

I'm strongly suggesting that we encourage people to be proactive. It's inefficient as hell if we let Bruno do all the work. He is great but he is just one man. Next step is listing charities that we can contact and creating a template letter.

The template letter is a great idea and I'm very glad that sadpandatech is starting to work on it. Once we get a process going anyone involved can contact the charities. Just remember to tell people here that you're contacting a particular charity so others know not to spam.

The official representative is not needed for every attempt at contacting a charity. If it reaches the stage where he could be needed, Bruno can always step in.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
sadpandatech

View Profile
December 21, 2011, 10:59:34 PM
Last edit: December 21, 2011, 11:16:22 PM by sadpandatech

Thanks for the support. Just got in from 'work'. I've a few things to finish up here at home and then I will get crackin on a letter for us to use.

cheers

Edit; I think we've got some small list of charities so far. If anyone would mind going through the posts in this thread to try and draw up a quick list that would be quite helpful.

Some I know for sure that were mentioned and I like are;

Unicef
Water.org
Make-A-Wish  -very biased here. My wife's second son, brain tumor from 2 yr-6yr was sent to Disney, etc from this charity.
St. Jude

There are also several sites that rate charities that can atleast be useful if you are not sure where to start or have not been following the 'bottom line' of your favorite charity recently.
http://www.charitynavigator.org/
http://www.charitywatch.org/toprated.html
http://www.bbb.org/us/charity/

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

sadpandatech

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 05:49:53 PM

Ok, with a bit of delay due to unexpected clients popping in on me last night I have now finally gotten around to our letter. Here is a starting draft with some questions on just how much info to include.

Please read over it and give your opinions on the additional paragraphs that we want to deicde on whether to add or not. Please note that the formatting is not accurate as displayed here.

Rev. 1

22nd of December 2011

#This section will be modified according to email correspondance standards.
Code:
[Recipients Name]
[Address line 1]
[Address line 2]
[State, ZIP Code]

Donation options should include Bitcoin as a form of donating funds to your organization
Dear [Recipients Name],

1. Introduction Paragrpah -Not Optional
  On behalf of the many generous proponents of the decentralized monetary system known as Bitcoin, we humbly request that you accept our Bitcoins as a means of donating to your organization.  While at first sight it may be easy to dismiss a group of people that would choose to seek currencies to use as alternatives to the status quo, government backed money.  Our intentions of doing so are farther reaching and far less clandestine than what would be the easy explanation offered by those who are unacquainted with such an ambitious concept. Although our means of currency exchange may be different, our desire, compassion and thoughtfulness are quite the same as any other citizen of the world that understands the importance of helping those in need.  It is for these reasons and many more that each individual may hold important to them that we present to you this request. And we are happy to offer up some explanation of just what Bitcoin is, how your organization can accept it and to share with you some of the benefits of Bitcoin over traditional forms of payment.

2. Explanation of what/who Bitcoin100 is? If yes, should it go after payment processing info?-otional
  A brief inclusion about Bitcoin100 being a list, starting out with 100 people who use Bitcoin and want to donate with them. This explanation is not totally necessary but can serve as a good spring board to demonstrate by example how for every one person who is vocal about donating there are many others who desire to. Internet Archive being the prime example of that.

3. Intro to Bitcoin; What it is, how it's used. Order is only question here.-non optional
  A very brief segment that I will sum up only a few points. Decentralized Ledger secured via p2p Sha-2 hashing. Ability of individual holders to send and receive Bitcoins without having to rely on an intermediary and hence forth, not being requiered to pay to send or receive them. I will link to http://Bitcoin.org and http://Weusecoins.com here.

4. Further detail about accepting Bitcoin. -non optional
  An explanation about how to acquire an account address. Options for charities to accept bitcoins. i.e., bit-pay @ https://bit-pay.com/press/2011-08-29-01 and https://bit-pay.com/forCharities.html

5. Closing; 'Thank You' for considering Bitcoin as a viable option to increase donations for your cause. -non optional

Thank you all for your time. If there is no input by this evening I will use my best judgement and move forward with this.

Cheers,
   Derek

- GA

Bitcoin 100

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 05:58:39 PM

Um, bump? Anything going on with this?

Back! Yesterday, I worked on the website, RL, and that South Park episode.

Um, bump? Anything going on with this?

Um, I agree. Are we soliciting any charties to accept bitcoin or determining any that aready accept bitcoin that are worthy?

Bruno, I suggest that you come up with a short list that you can contact, say 10 charities. Don't beat the idea to death just Google the word charity and take the first 10 and contact them. If one accepts the idea then they get the money. If none accepts then go to the next ten and so on until you find one that agrees. Spend two days doing that, if none accept the idea, then have a vote on donating to one that already accepts bitcoin and give it to them - rinse and repeat. What do you think?

So not to clutter this thread, I'll start a thread for the sole purpose of obtaining charitable organization suggestions. I'll seed that list with previously mentioned causes, albeit I may accidentally omit a few.

I believe our first step, besides picking a small list of charities, which should not be too difficult as there is certainly no shortage. Is to write up a good approach letter to use as a template. I have some work to do about 40 minutes out of town today but can work on drawing something up when I return this evening. If no one else has already writtin such a letter, that is. I will present it here for proof reading. We should have our defacto representative present it though. Thougts on this?

Cheers,
   Derek

I'm strongly suggesting that we encourage people to be proactive. It's inefficient as hell if we let Bruno do all the work. He is great but he is just one man. Next step is listing charities that we can contact and creating a template letter.

The template letter is a great idea and I'm very glad that sadpandatech is starting to work on it. Once we get a process going anyone involved can contact the charities. Just remember to tell people here that you're contacting a particular charity so others know not to spam.

The official representative is not needed for every attempt at contacting a charity. If it reaches the stage where he could be needed, Bruno can always step in.

Cheers,
   Derek

Great idea! I can't wait to read it. Thanks for taking the lead on writing a letter.

I assumed the letter writing was in good hands. Feel free to continue with these efforts, posting here the results of your endeavors.

It was bugging me so I rounded us back up to 100 BTC.  Now give it away  Angry  Wink

I bet you had trouble as a kid with whole numbers.  Wink

Thank you kindly, Bert, for your donation, thus bringing the grand total to an even 100 BTC. I was planning on doing it, but I guess I'll use that about 2 BTC toward the purchase of Bitbrew coffee mugs allocated for archive.org.

Thanks for the support. Just got in from 'work'. I've a few things to finish up here at home and then I will get crackin on a letter for us to use.

cheers

Edit; I think we've got some small list of charities so far. If anyone would mind going through the posts in this thread to try and draw up a quick list that would be quite helpful.

Some I know for sure that were mentioned and I like are;

Unicef
Water.org
Make-A-Wish  -very biased here. My wife's second son, brain tumor from 2 yr-6yr was sent to Disney, etc from this charity.
St. Jude

There are also several sites that rate charities that can atleast be useful if you are not sure where to start or have not been following the 'bottom line' of your favorite charity recently.
http://www.charitynavigator.org/
http://www.charitywatch.org/toprated.html
http://www.bbb.org/us/charity/

On it! As I've mentioned earlier in this post, I'll start a new thread to solicit ideas, then post that link here.

~Bruno~
mcorlett
Donator

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 06:03:09 PM

I've been keeping an eye on this thread for the last couple of days, and I have to say; I like what I'm seeing.

Thank you for taking the initiative to create this, Bruno, and thank you to to all donators and contributors, no matter big or small.

BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 06:03:32 PM

Ok, with a bit of delay due to unexpected clients popping in on me last night I have now finally gotten around to our letter. Here is a starting draft with some questions on just how much info to include.

Please read over it and give your opinions on the additional paragraphs that we want to deicde on whether to add or not. Please note that the formatting is not accurate as displayed here.

Rev. 1

22nd of December 2011

Code:
[Recipients Name]
[Address line 1]
[Address line 2]
[State, ZIP Code]

Donation options should include Bitcoin as a form of donating funds to your organization
Dear [Recipients Name],

On behalf of the many generous proponents of the decentralized monetary system known as Bitcoin, we humbly request that you accept our Bitcoins as a means of donating to your organization.  While at first sight it may be easy to dismiss a group of people that would choose to seek currencies to use as alternatives to the status quo, government backed money.  Our intentions of doing so are farther reaching and far less clandestine than what would be the easy explanation offered by those who are unacquainted with such an ambitious concept. Although our means of currency exchange may be different, our desire, compassion and thoughtfulness are quite the same as any other citizen of the world that understands the importance of helping those in need.  It is for these reasons and many more that each individual may hold important to them that we present to you this request. And we are happy to offer up some explanation of just what Bitcoin is, how your organization can accept it and to share with you some of the benefits of Bitcoin over traditional forms of payment.

2. Explanation of what/who Bitcoin100 is? If yes, should it go after payment processing info?-otional
  A brief inclusion about Bitcoin100 being a list, starting out with 100 people who use Bitcoin and want to donate with them. This explanation is not totally necessary but can serve as a good spring board to demonstrate by example how for every one person who is vocal about donating there are many others who desire to. Internet Archive being the prime example of that.

3. Intro to Bitcoin; What it is, how it's used. Order is only question here.-non optional
  A very brief segment that I will sum up only a few points. Decentralized Ledger secured via p2p Sha-2 hashing. Ability of individual holders to send and receive Bitcoins without having to rely on an intermediary and hence forth, not being requiered to pay to send or receive them. I will link to http://Bitcoin.org and http://Weusecoins.com here.

An explanation about how to acquire an account address. Options for charities to accept bitcoins. i.e., bit-pay @ https://bit-pay.com/press/2011-08-29-01 and https://bit-pay.com/forCharities.html

5. Closing; 'Thank You' for considering Bitcoin as a viable option to increase donations for your cause. -non optional

Thank you all for your time. If there is no input by this evening I will use my best judgement and move forward with this.

Cheers,
   Derek

I think the structure of the letter is good.

One thing: I feel that the introductory paragraph should be much, much simpler:
after "On behalf of the many generous proponents of the decentralized monetary system known as Bitcoin, we humbly request" I got the urge to stop reading because of the wordiness. It think it should be a simple, quick explanation of what we want them to do, and what bitcoin is, so we don't lose them in the first sentence. (Maybe they're busy or something, or don't feel like reading. The first sentences should spike their interest, while not taxing their intellect.)

I currently don't have the time to create a paragraph. Maybe in a few days, if there is none yet then.

sadpandatech

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 06:06:38 PM

the introductory paragraph should be much, much simpler:

simpler. got it. Anyone else agree or disagree with this sentiment?

- GA

Bitcoin 100

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 06:11:17 PM
Last edit: December 22, 2011, 06:26:53 PM by Bitcoin 100

Rev. 1

22nd of December 2011

Code:
[Recipients Name]
[Address line 1]
[Address line 2]
[State, ZIP Code]

Dear [Recipients Name],

On behalf of the many generous proponents of the decentralized monetary system known as Bitcoin, we humbly request that you consider Bitcoin as a means of donating to your organization.  While at first sight it may be easy to dismiss a group of people that would choose to seek currencies to use as alternatives to the status quo, government backed money.  Our intentions of doing so are farther reaching and far less clandestine than what would be the easy explanation offered by those who are unacquainted with such an ambitious concept. Although our means of currency exchange may differ, our desire, compassion and thoughtfulness are quite the same as any other citizen of the world that understands the importance of helping those in need.  It is for these reasons, among others, that each individual may hold important to them that we present to you this request. And we are happy to offer up some explanation of just what Bitcoin is, how your organization can accept it and to share with you some of the benefits of Bitcoin over traditional forms of payment.

Cheers,
   Derek

I've edited my thoughts in bold. This is great starting point. As suggestions pour in, take note, therefore by tomorrow we'll have a well rounded intro letter. Thank you, Derek, for putting your energy into this.

~Bruno~
gnar1ta$
Donator

Activity: 798

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 06:21:01 PM

I would have to agree with simpler is better.  Not that I don't think the letter is good, but from a charity's viewpoint the concern is getting funds.  I think a simple request to accept bitcoins, a brief explanation of how to receive and convert, and an introduction to Bitcoin100 with the promise of pledged donations is sufficient.  Perhaps a second more lengthy letter for those wishing more information.  Great work moving this forward though.

Losing hundreds of Bitcoins with the best scammers in the business - BFL, Avalon, KNC, HashFast.
BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 06:24:17 PM

Quick note: Saying "the many generous proponents" sounds a bit, uh, boast-y maybe. Smiley

sadpandatech

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 06:53:48 PM

Quick note: Saying "the many generous proponents" sounds a bit, uh, boast-y maybe. Smiley

nothing wrong with a little 'confidence'  Wink

Thank you, Btcurious, Bruno and Gnar1ta$ for your inputs. I will tone it down a bit. =)  I may have to thumb a few charities to get a better image of just who might be reading such a letter. I picture a well educated, older woman receiving most of the correspondence for national size organizations. Though that may not be the case for all of them or lesser funded ones. From your inputs I can envision a much more toned down email version and then a more elegant hardcopy version for correspondences that require something more personal.  For now, my goal is to create a good template that covers all the important aspects of receiving bitcoins as a donation. I will tone revision 2 down to accomodate the current input. I think for our actual submissions to the charities I will likely adjust them according to who the recipient is, if that can be determined before sending. Else, we will send the simpler template form. Thanks again for all criticisms as that will insure our letter is encompasing of a more general tone than just mine.

Cheers,
   Derek

- GA

Bitcoin 100

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 06:59:13 PM

I would have to agree with simpler is better.  Not that I don't think the letter is good, but from a charity's viewpoint the concern is getting funds.  I think a simple request to accept bitcoins, a brief explanation of how to receive and convert, and an introduction to Bitcoin100 with the promise of pledged donations is sufficient.  Perhaps a second more lengthy letter for those wishing more information.  Great work moving this forward though.

+1

Here's the link to the thread so you (the reader) can post your nonprofit candidates: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=55398.0

Currently, Bitcoin100 is 6 supporters shy of having 100 supporters. To become a supporter, all you have to do is simply pledge (not donate) at least 1 BTC to the cause. You can honor your pledge anytime you feel comfortable doing such.

~Bruno~
Bitcoin 100

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 07:07:43 PM
Last edit: December 23, 2011, 04:09:56 PM by Bitcoin 100

nothing wrong with a little 'confidence'  Wink

Thank you, Btcurious, Bruno and Gnar1ta$ for your inputs. I will tone it down a bit. =)  I may have to thumb a few charities to get a better image of just who might be reading such a letter. I picture a well educated, older woman receiving most of the correspondence for national size organizations. Though that may not be the case for all of them or lesser funded ones. From your inputs I can envision a much more toned down email version and then a more elegant hardcopy version for correspondences that require something more personal.  For now, my goal is to create a good template that covers all the important aspects of receiving bitcoins as a donation. I will tone revision 2 down to accomodate the current input. I think for our actual submissions to the charities I will likely adjust them according to who the recipient is, if that can be determined before sending. Else, we will send the simpler template form. Thanks again for all criticisms as that will insure our letter is encompasing of a more general tone than just mine.

Cheers,
   Derek

Once again, we're highly appreciative toward you for taking the initiative for penning this important introduction letter. There'll be something special in your Christmas stocking this year for all your efforts provided, of course, Rassah isn't playing Santa, whereupon hide all the stockings, if that so happens to be the case.  Wink

~Bruno~

sadpandatech

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 07:25:48 PM

Rassah isn't playing Santa, whereupon hide all the stockings, if that so happens to be the case.  Wink

~Bruno~

HAHA, a picture of Santa trying to cram a coffee table into my stocking is now firmly lodged in my mind. ;p

Thanks and some swift criticism is sufficent for my efforts. I am running my butt off a bit today here at the 'office'. But I will get soemthing solid out before the evening is up for everyone to look at.

- GA

Bitcoin 100

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 05:08:38 AM

Rassah isn't playing Santa, whereupon hide all the stockings, if that so happens to be the case.  Wink

~Bruno~

HAHA, a picture of Santa trying to cram a coffee table into my stocking is now firmly lodged in my mind. ;p

Thanks and some swift criticism is sufficent for my efforts. I am running my butt off a bit today here at the 'office'. But I will get soemthing solid out before the evening is up for everyone to look at.

Here's wishing you luck with that rewrite, sadpandatech.

FYI: Coffee table was a very guess, but not what I was thinking of in that humorous post.  Lips sealed PM me if you give.

~Bruno~
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2011, 05:26:05 AM

There'll be something special in your Christmas stocking this year for all your efforts provided, of course, Rassah isn't playing Santa, whereupon hide all the stockings, if that so happens to be the case.  Wink

~Bruno~

Meh, I got my own stockings. And the rest of the sexy outfit to go with them.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ... 111 »
  Print  

Jump to: