Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:15:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 [1108] 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667277 times)
pookielax31

Activity: 462
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 01:54:17 AM

It appears our "off-topic" monero thread wasn't relevant enough for the "off-topic" section of BCT, and was deleted. Perhaps we should start another one in the alternative cryptocurrency section?

or just go to the monero forums...........

Pretty useless mobile wallet of it doesn't have the ability to scan a qr code....
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
QuantumQrack

Activity: 337
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 01:57:34 AM

Posting just to see my new avatar.  Grin
child_harold

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 02:14:56 AM

Monero is just a ByteCoin's clone, that gives no any new unique features.

Then just use Bytecoin Grin

edit: nvm you are just a Darkcoin/DASH scammer.

Even instamined DASH, but with active developers and unique features is better, than useless fair distributed garbage monero coins.

You r a terrible troll
check this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=560138.msg7535561#msg7535561

child_harold

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 02:18:16 AM

… there are no XMR "investors". Monero is a medium of exchange and a store of value. If individuals purchase units of Monero they do not directly enrich me or the rest of the core team.

really?

We can argue that there is indirect enrichment

Yup

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 02:22:58 AM
Last edit: April 05, 2015, 10:24:11 AM by smooth

… there are no XMR "investors". Monero is a medium of exchange and a store of value. If individuals purchase units of Monero they do not directly enrich me or the rest of the core team.

really?

Of course they don't. They don't even necessarily increase the price if they don't buy at higher prices than previous investors did. Some new investors showed up during the low period, they bought slowly and cautiously, not bidding up the price.

Either way the money from investors doesn't go into the project the way selling stock in a company does. Currency "investors" are always speculators; they are not buying a productive asset of any kind.
child_harold

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 02:30:46 AM

really?

Of course they don't. They don't even necessarily increase the price if they don't buy at higher prices than previous investors did. Some new investors showed up during the low period, they bought slowly and cautiously, not bidding up the price.

Either way the money from investors doesn't go into the project the way selling stock in a company does. Currency "investors" are always speculators; they are not buying a productive asset of any kind.

ok. got it.

wangx024

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 02:51:57 AM

i used yam minerd xmr.
After performing frequently abnormal exit (Error: No such node (result)), there is no argument may be able to proceed after abnormal exit?
thanks
arnuschky

Activity: 517
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 12:26:51 PM

With XMR.TO we can send to a btc address privately.  What needs to be done in order to receive privately from a btc address?

Create new Bitcoin address and never spend that coins/ use mixer/ exchange them back to monero

Bribe us to implement the other direction! Wink

No, seriously: if there's considerable interest, we might consider implementing BTC->XMR.
It's not on the dev schedule as of yet, as we weren't sure about its usefulness.

Opinions?
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 12:43:31 PM

With XMR.TO we can send to a btc address privately.  What needs to be done in order to receive privately from a btc address?

Create new Bitcoin address and never spend that coins/ use mixer/ exchange them back to monero

No, seriously: if there's considerable interest, we might consider implementing BTC->XMR.
It's not on the dev schedule as of yet, as we weren't sure about its usefulness.

Opinions?

There is probably some interest from people that want to buy small amounts, but rather not use exchanges. So if it's not to much work for you guys, I would certainly implement it. Implementing could also boost the XMR -> BTC traffic and give the website in general more attention.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 12:46:11 PM

A new missive is out! #27

EXTERN PROJECTS FOR THE WEEK OF 2015-03-30

To download the podcast directly please use this link to the MP3, or this link to the AAC/MP4, or this link to the FLAC.

A brief summary of the points discussed follows, a full transcription of the podcast is outstanding (can be submitted via Github Issues ).

In this week's podcast we interview Jojatekok, the 17 year old creator of the MoneroX GUI, and discuss his switch to cross-platform support for MoneroX, as well as some of his future plans. We also spend some time musing over his youth, and wondering where ours went to!

Until next week!

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
Globb0
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053

Free spirit

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 12:56:37 PM

With XMR.TO we can send to a btc address privately.  What needs to be done in order to receive privately from a btc address?

Opinions?

Your service is amazing!  great job.
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2015, 01:08:50 PM

really?

ok. got it.

lol!

anyway I think what smooth might mean is that Monero as a currency won't find a productive use like say, gold has, past what it already does since inception. One monero will always be that entry in a private ledger, ultimately. The only thing that changes is how we interact with the protocol ruleset that allows as such.
child_harold

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 01:39:36 PM

really?

ok. got it.

lol!

anyway I think what smooth might mean is that Monero as a currency won't find a productive use like say, gold has, past what it already does since inception. One monero will always be that entry in a private ledger, ultimately. The only thing that changes is how we interact with the protocol ruleset that allows as such.

Let's hope so! Does having a public ledger (BTC) changes this? i.e. more like gold/ a "productive asset"?

vokain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2015, 01:55:48 PM

really?

ok. got it.

lol!

Let's hope so! Does having a public ledger (BTC) changes this? i.e. more like gold/ a "productive asset"?

BTC and Monero are both public ledgers in the sense that anyone and everyone can verify that the information coming from the blockchain is valid. However, the structure of the two technologies differ in their manner of encrypting the link between transactions, where with Bitcoin you can link one transaction to another quite easily, and Monero you can't, thus making Monero both a private and public ledger. That this is how Monero simply is doesn't change anything about it.
pookielax31

Activity: 462
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 02:10:20 PM

Opinions?

Think its a great Idea.... New to Monero but so far loving everything I have been researching...Could do with out seeing the devs/faces of the project plastered everywhere arguing with every god dam thread but hey, ..this is crypto Wink................ I think making it BTC->XMR could be a big help to drive user adoption and reduce friction in the XMR purchase process. Having away to seamlessly go from Mass adoption (BTC) to Monero can be nothing but helpful. Its basically a Monero tailored ShapeShift.io (Which if I read correctly erik will be adding Monero to shapeshift in the near future!!)
vokain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2015, 02:13:07 PM

Opinions?

Think its a great Idea.... New to Monero but so far loving everything I have been researching...Could do with out seeing the devs/faces of the project plastered everywhere arguing with every god dam thread but hey, ..this is crypto Wink................ I think making it BTC->XMR could be a big help to drive user adoption and reduce friction in the XMR purchase process. Having away to seamlessly go from Mass adoption (BTC) to Monero can be nothing but helpful. Its basically a Monero tailored ShapeShift.io (Which if I read correctly erik will be adding Monero to shapeshift in the near future!!)

XMR.me!
child_harold

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 02:16:29 PM

really?

ok. got it.

lol!

BTC and Monero are both public ledgers in the sense that anyone and everyone can verify that the information coming from the blockchain is valid. However, the structure of the two technologies differ in their manner of encrypting the link between transactions, where with Bitcoin you can link one transaction to another quite easily, and Monero you can't, thus making Monero both a private and public ledger. That this is how Monero simply is doesn't change anything about it.

Fair enough. Although I wonder if (at least psychologically) the increased visibility of BTC tokens on the blockchain and the ability to take a god-like glance at the distribution of wealth and the balance in any address makes it SEEM more of an asset?

For example, let us say the kings of BTC and XMR both have bejeweled crowns, but the XMR kings's is invisible. How do we know he's king?
Please forgive the bizarre metaphor, thanks.

aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 02:19:57 PM

Currency "investors" are always speculators; they are not buying a productive asset of any kind.

This is misleading, in the sense that currency is a very productive asset.  It doesn't produce more currency (unless it is a staking vehicle) perhaps, but that is almost a tautology, content-free.  It enables the whole economy of that currency.  Calling that non-productive would imply that all economic activity was non-productive.

Were there no efficiency and growth-enabling features in a new technology (currency or otherwise) it would fail to thrive in a competitive landscape.  An investment in a novel currency is an investment in the whole economy of that currency.  It adds capital to the economy, which helps it to achieve a productive critical mass, and the growth of that overall network is what the investor is betting on.  Because it is an investment in the totality of the economy, it is maximally diversified, relative to that economy - sort of like indexing on steroids.  The whole world becomes your productive asset.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
vokain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2015, 02:20:24 PM

really?

ok. got it.

lol!

Fair enough. Although I wonder if (at least psychologically) the increased visibilty of BTC token on the blcokchain and the ability to take a god-like glance at the distributin of wealth and the balance in any address makes it SEEM more of asset

For example, let us say the kings of BTC and XMR both have bejeweled crowns, but the XMR kings's is invisible. How do we know he's king?
Plesae forgive the bizarre metaphor, thanks.

By his having the keys to his kingdom?

In Monero, when you have the private key of an address you can reveal a viewkey that also shows that n XMR really do belong to X public key. You can flaunt your wealth as you wish!
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 02:32:46 PM

Opinions?

Did I really start a meaningful discussion?  How novel.

My original thought was that btc coming from let's say a poker or sportsbook site could be tracked.  Given the restrictions recently implemented by coinbase it seemed there was a need to receive privately from a btc address.  I'm sure there are other examples.

It seems that there is more to it than I originally thought.

As far as shapeshift, it has been soon for a while now and I have no expectations.

@arnuschky, I don't have much to bribe you with.
Pages: « 1 ... 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 [1108] 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: