Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 12:16:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166 1167 1168 1169 1170 [1171] 1172 1173 1174 1175 1176 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 1188 1189 1190 1191 1192 1193 1194 1195 1196 1197 1198 1199 1200 1201 1202 1203 1204 1205 1206 1207 1208 1209 1210 1211 1212 1213 1214 1215 1216 1217 1218 1219 1220 1221 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667147 times)
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 09:42:53 AM

so the question is at what point does any cryptocurrency become a stable store of value to begin attracting those that are trying to avoid the negative interest rates that are besetting contemporary finance? I'm assuming its merely a measure of time - but how much time? and how much stability?

When I win the lottery and start buying in.

Seriously, though, it'll probably be once the monetary inflation of bitcoin drops significantly lower than most fiat currencies'.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Arux

Activity: 500
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 09:50:31 AM

... If it is ever super urgent, and I am asleep, all of the core team have my mobile phone number and can call me till I wake up.

oh!  Shocked

Take care of your health and switch off the phone when you sleep.
MyMonero unavailability isn't pleasant but it can wait for a few hours.

Thats why you should never trust a webwallet, its your own fault, sorry for your loss Tongue

For the critical cases, MyMonero can be used in parallel with simplewallet. So no risk of losing control of your xmr.

G2M

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Activity: 616

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 11:44:34 AM

so the question is at what point does any cryptocurrency become a stable store of value to begin attracting those that are trying to avoid the negative interest rates that are besetting contemporary finance? I'm assuming its merely a measure of time - but how much time? and how much stability?

Seriously, though, it'll probably be once the monetary inflation of bitcoin drops significantly lower than most fiat currencies'.

You think so though?

I always had thought that it would take a significant increase in liquidity to become even close to stable, on the route that the ability to remain stabilized would require both an incredible price as well as the ability to encompass the collective wealth of all involved.

So, for the currency to be stable within, say, 1%, then no less than 1% of the total marketcap needs to be within +/- 1% of the price, while factoring something relating to the userbase that would be looking to trade in that 1%.

So for a currency worth 5 billion, and a price of 100$ for a unit, between the price of 99$ to 101$, i'd be looking for $50 million to be ready to go in that range for either sale or purchase. This isn't factoring a scale relating to having less available at market prices and having more available at trading prices.

I'm probably off base a bit, never really studied much economics, but have wondered what stability would look like on the charts.

Wind picked up: F4BC1F4BC0A2A1C4

banditryandloot goin2mars kbm keyboard-mash theusualstuff

probably a few more that don't matter for much.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4884

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 02:07:54 PM

All back up:)

The Galera cluster had a bit of a cascading failure due to disk space issues (logging got out of control and log-rotate setup was faulty), so the API couldn't satisfy queries. Of course, this happens in the dead of night whilst I'm asleep

If, at some point, we can afford support staff in different time zones we can alleviate the risk of this happening. If it is ever super urgent, and I am asleep, all of the core team have my mobile phone number and can call me till I wake up.

What, you expect to be allowed to sleep ONCE a day! !@#$@@$

On a side note:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/bitcoin-price-ticker/reviews/702904/

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
medusa13

Activity: 453

hello world

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 06:12:29 PM

typed in the address pointed out here: http://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/33waz3/ive_never_used_cryptocurrenciesknow_much_about/

so why not share
Code:
47mfwjL8L95HJUj6iXUmdUe3K63brRcxrWKqeiPVLKosjYPQdfzqWFFStjL2mtEzNsX1fisa4W1SwZLHsiZPWdFe5UpBF7s

it pulls 260 KH/s right now and is close to 50% of the pool http://cryptmonero.com

what do you think how many pc's running? 5000? infected i estimate about 10-15k. what do you think, more?

XMR Monero
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 06:30:10 PM

You think so though?

I always had thought that it would take a significant increase in liquidity to become even close to stable, on the route that the ability to remain stabilized would require both an incredible price as well as the ability to encompass the collective wealth of all involved.

So, for the currency to be stable within, say, 1%, then no less than 1% of the total marketcap needs to be within +/- 1% of the price, while factoring something relating to the userbase that would be looking to trade in that 1%.

So for a currency worth 5 billion, and a price of 100$ for a unit, between the price of 99$ to 101$, i'd be looking for $50 million to be ready to go in that range for either sale or purchase. This isn't factoring a scale relating to having less available at market prices and having more available at trading prices.

I'm probably off base a bit, never really studied much economics, but have wondered what stability would look like on the charts.

I have studied Economics Major. Stability can be:
- exchange rate stability
- price stability
- neither.

In the latter part of 1800s, exchange rates were fixed (each country's currency was just a differing weight of gold). Prices fluctuated a lot based on natural events, but had an overall declining trend based on productivity increases and expansion of trade.

Now, exchange rates change widely, even big countiers' currencies (USA; EU; Russia; Japan; China) are allowed to fluctuate by up to 100% per year against each other. This does not make prices stable, however. Some contractual prices are more sticky than the others (wages denominated in own currency), giving the impression of stability where nothing exist.

The prices have never been stable. We should not think that it could be possible in cryptoeconomy either. The whole goal is absurd and should be rejected.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 06:37:27 PM

typed in the address pointed out here: http://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/33waz3/ive_never_used_cryptocurrenciesknow_much_about/

so why not share
Code:
47mfwjL8L95HJUj6iXUmdUe3K63brRcxrWKqeiPVLKosjYPQdfzqWFFStjL2mtEzNsX1fisa4W1SwZLHsiZPWdFe5UpBF7s

it pulls 260 KH/s right now and is close to 50% of the pool http://cryptmonero.com

what do you think how many pc's running? 5000? infected i estimate about 10-15k. what do you think, more?

I think the pool should redirect all funds from that address to either to a burn address or the dev fund. And the malware should be copied and setup on a system to monitor the botnet.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 08:46:19 PM

so why not share
Code:

I think the pool should redirect all funds from that address to either to a burn address or the dev fund. And the malware should be copied and setup on a system to monitor the botnet.

Nice way to steal coins from a big miner. Post something claiming that address infected your computer.

Is it true? I don't know, it could be, but still you can't act on this information or many future reports will certainly not be true.

People need to secure their own computers. It could also be someone using one of the cloud computing exploits. Again, the cloud computing providers need to secure their system better. (Often they don't as an explicit business decision.)
opennux

Activity: 231
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 09:24:03 PM

so why not share
Code:

That's drastic and premature. I concur with what smooth wrote.
kazuki49

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 09:31:26 PM

so why not share
Code:

That's drastic and premature. I concur with what smooth wrote.

And they will end just creating a pool for themselves, there is nothing we can do about it, in the same way vile and despicable characters are part of the "real world" economy, but with cryptocurrency we can at least solve some of the big problems. Smart mining will help.
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 10:36:23 PM

so why not share
Code:

Nice way to steal coins from a big miner. Post something claiming that address infected your computer.

Is it true? I don't know, it could be, but still you can't act on this information or many future reports will certainly not be true.

People need to secure their own computers. It could also be someone using one of the cloud computing exploits. Again, the cloud computing providers need to secure their system better. (Often they don't as an explicit business decision.)

Malware analysis would be the determining factor not someones post, I thought that would be obvious. I post rather lazily most of the time.

I also see no reason why the DEV team could not work closely with security companies to forward addresses to pools after verification. That might be a nice step toward removing bot nets. But of course that would lower hashrate and thus security of the chain. So...

David Latapie

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2015, 12:27:40 AM

David is actually probably a rather qualified individual to talk with BFX. Aside from great character and proficiency of this space's nuances, it probably helps that Raphael and David are fellow Frenchmen.
Lol.  I wish I had saved the logfile of the conversation I had with him.  I strung him along for like 30 minutes.
I shall have them. PM me if interested.

(many post about me asking information regarding mining hardware)
1. I needed SOTA data regarding mining hardware. My latest data were several months old and I wanted an update. Case (and troller's mouth) closed.
2. Read my editorials and you'll see I know a thing or two about technology. BTW, I hold a master's degree in IT management and have several years of experience on IT management (linkedin profile).
3. As Hueristic mentioned, Monero was a part of my moving to Linux, in April-May 2014 (I already used Linux several times in the past, but was never convinced). I installed Linux (Arch Linux then, because of many incompatibilities, Ubuntu). I recently physically crashed my laptop and decided, for business reasons, to move to Macbook Air hardware (OS X+Ubuntu and Windows on Parallels).

It might offend the solipsists.
Little do solipsists know, Socrates was the OG of solipsism Smiley

Edit: “The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
Descartes is usually credited for popularizing solipsism with his famous "cogito ergo sum" ("I think therefore I am").

Regarding the "kill-switch" for mining hardware, the answer is 3D printing with open-source blueprints, such as physible. I can even imagine using maelstrom to download an open-source blueprints. Using a decentralised technology (bitorrent) to create decentralised devices (3D printed miners) for obtaining decentralised cryptocurrency (Monero). Neat.

Please visit http://commons.xmr.biz/ and provide some feedback, so I know what is requested and how to improve.
Great initiative!

XMR Logo PSD file + pngs
http://www48.zippyshare.com/v/IuPzJjGs/file.html

Luke, Monero Mascot PSD (I have no idea what license this one has though, you'd have to ask hitbtc):
http://www88.zippyshare.com/v/EI8qoNkE/file.html
Branding logo: http://monero.cc/downloads/resources/branding.zip

The only info on the viewkey I can find is on the MEW site--is there more info available yet? Or did I miss something on the main site? A good ELI2.5 would be good to counter attack xdrkdashians.
http://fr.slideshare.net/getmonero/monero-next-step-en-46579074/6 may help.

The "glitch" in the obfuscated miner was fixed extremely fast (by NoodleDoodle, one of the core team members), a lot faster than most people remember. At the time it was a pretty big deal.[...]
I updated History of Monero accordingly (still a lot of work to do on this one).

I remember that NoodleDoodle was hesitant to release what had become "his" miner (just a couple of parenthesis to be removed) because he was not sure this tweak did not have unintended consequences - we eventually decided to release what maybe was a broken miner (turns out it was the opposite, a better miner). This shows how naive we still were about the possibility of a crippled miner Smiley.

And it will be interesting if bitcoin can maintain its value as this fungibility thing plays out.
I recently read on IRC that chances are good that Bitcoin will stay in the 200 dollars range for one more year. This would be exactly what we need (and for Monero too, by the way - volatility is for parasitic traders, stability is for those who actually do something with money). Fluffypony recently said that he believes that since it is fairly distributed and dev do not have a large stash, the way to make money with Monero is by developing services around it. And this is exactly what I am doing (and why I am not that present recently - setting up a company takes times, money and energy).

don't quote.
Exactly. I ignored blockafett and primer- but still have to suffer the replies.

I really feel for this community in the same ways I do for the human beans that help build Ubuntu, etc.

Thank you (again) Smiley
After reading this post, I stumbled upon a French text (English version) which blew my mind regarding how great ubuntu (the philosophical notion) is.

in a week price down of 40% - why?

Not as much growth in the "posable gmaxwell doll" sector as we expected. Someone should fire the VP of Marketing and replace him with someone with a man like Primer- who really knows what this industry needs.
Speaking of... haven´t seen David in a while, is he off on vacation?
I suppose "Speaking of" relates to "VP of Marketing" Smiley

I'm setting up a company focusing on increasing usefulness of cryptocurrency (and particularly Monero) for legal persons (companies, NGO...) worldwide. It takes a lot of time, as you can imagine. This is also one of the few things I know that evolves faster than a cryptocurrency. And for Monero birthday, I was presenting cryptocurrencies at a French event. Expect more to happen later. If you own a company or hold an position of influence in one and are curious about what we offer, you can PM me.

Also, I'm preparing a Monero meetup in Paris, in partership with... Mozilla! https://forum.getmonero.org/14/events/277/monero-meetup-paris-france-may-21th-2015
https://plus.google.com/events/cv85079ug4ijrc0o6uc46b1i3jg

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
GTO911

Activity: 672

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 02:35:25 PM

Go to coinmarketcap, filter non-mineable and premined, something different?  Kiss
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 02:41:57 PM

Go to coinmarketcap, filter non-mineable and premined, something different?  Kiss

yup Smiley   

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2015, 02:43:46 PM

All you had to do is line up the facts and ask, apparently. Glad they did the right thing.

binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 03:09:22 PM

Bytecoin still not shown as premine, it's a shame because it's the most scammy of all.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2015, 03:29:11 PM

Bytecoin still not shown as premine, it's a shame because it's the most scammy of all.

Have they not read *the* very awesome analysis on the bytecoin scam by whatsisname that I am so fond of posting? I guess we should just send them that. I've stored it as PDF just in case, thats how good and important it is Smiley.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 03:32:53 PM

Have they not read *the* very awesome analysis on the bytecoin scam by whatsisname that I am so fond of posting? I guess we should just send them that. I've stored it as PDF just in case, thats how good and important it is Smiley.

Maybe they have to Divest first. Smiley

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 03:33:53 PM

It was. Some shills from bytecoin complained and they have no backbone so they took it off. Probably will happen with dash too, although at least with that one, there are actual quotes from the developer acknowledging the problem.
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2015, 03:34:09 PM

Maybe they have to Divest first. Smiley

Right, I forgot we're in Cryptoland, where everyone has vested interests in everything.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
Pages: « 1 ... 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166 1167 1168 1169 1170 [1171] 1172 1173 1174 1175 1176 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 1187 1188 1189 1190 1191 1192 1193 1194 1195 1196 1197 1198 1199 1200 1201 1202 1203 1204 1205 1206 1207 1208 1209 1210 1211 1212 1213 1214 1215 1216 1217 1218 1219 1220 1221 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: