Bitcoin Forum
May 31, 2024, 06:55:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 1237 1238 1239 1240 1241 1242 1243 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 [1282] 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 ... 2124 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4669204 times)
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 11:33:46 PM

I am struggling to imagine what might convince you BCN was started in 2012 but am finding it hard to think of what.

It is actually quite simple: For a start, find any evidence that supports it.

You may not find the evidence of fabrication convincing, but it is clear there is at least some evidence, including the fake white paper dates, the expert opinions of deliberate crippling of the mining code, and the absence of anyone -- including people very familiar with the deep web and cryptocurrencies -- having heard of it for two years.

There is zero, zip, zilch evidence that BCN was started in 2012.

The preponderance of the evidence supports the conclusion of premine fraud. If you want to change that, find contradictory evidence.
GetDotBit.com

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 12:41:15 AM

What do you all think of adding the Android MoneroWallet to the thread's discription/getmonero.org? It could be useful for newcomers to see that there is an Android wallet.
Johnny Mnemonic

Activity: 795
Merit: 514

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 02:32:25 AM
Last edit: July 21, 2015, 02:44:17 AM by Johnny Mnemonic

1) <snipped as irrelevant>
2) <snipped> I am struggling to imagine what might convince you BCN was started in 2012 but am finding it hard to think of what.

Just curious, but why do you care about convincing anyone of something that cannot be proven? Find some proof, then maybe someone *might* believe you. Otherwise, noone really gives a half a f*ck to be honest anymore, it was a scam, sorry you can't face reality bud.  Tongue

So it's guilty till proven innocent? Nice (sarcastic). I believe it is up to the prosecution to produce compelling evidence.

That's certainly true in a court of law. However, on internet message boards where people are free to base their judgements on whatever the fuck they want, nobody needs to "prove" BCN are lying scumbags to know they're most likely lying scumbags.

Besides, BCN is making the claim that they launched in 2012. It's their responsibility to back up their claim, not ours to falsify it. Does that make sense to you? Or will you continue to blather off-topic and make a fool of yourself?
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 04:07:19 AM

2) <snipped> I am struggling to imagine what might convince you BCN was started in 2012 but am finding it hard to think of what.

Just curious, but why do you care about convincing anyone of something that cannot be proven? Find some proof, then maybe someone *might* believe you. Otherwise, noone really gives a half a f*ck to be honest anymore, it was a scam, sorry you can't face reality bud.  Tongue

So it's guilty till proven innocent? Nice (sarcastic). I believe it is up to the prosecution to produce compelling evidence.

That's certainly true in a court of law. However, on internet message boards where people are free to base their judgements on whatever the fuck they want, nobody needs to "prove" BCN are lying scumbags to know they're most likely lying scumbags.

Besides, BCN is making the claim that they launched in 2012. It's their responsibility to back up their claim, not ours to falsify it. Does that make sense to you? Or will you continue to blather off-topic and make a fool of yourself?

I'm laying 2:1 on #2. Takers?
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2015, 07:52:24 AM

What do you all think of adding the Android MoneroWallet to the thread's discription/getmonero.org? It could be useful for newcomers to see that there is an Android wallet.

Just submit a pull request to add it the site - https://github.com/monero-project/monero-site

aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 10:10:37 AM

currency markets have a market cap of multiple trillions, meaning we would likely never need to adjust this.
Estimated global derivative obligations amount to roughly 1 quadrillion USD and/or EUR.  I could imagine a scenario in which they are marked down to the point where someone snaps them all up for a kilomonero.  But then, I have never been accused of a weak imagination.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
koryu

Activity: 681
Merit: 507

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 10:51:31 AM

• PoW algorithm: CryptoNight [1]
  • Max supply: ~18.4 million [2]
  • Block reward: Smoothly varying [3]
  • Block time: 60 seconds
  • Difficulty: Retargets at every block

[1] CPU + GPU mining (about 1:1 performance for now). Memory-bound by design using AES encryption and several SHA-3 candidates.
[2] Actual number of atomic units is M = 264 - 1. A minimum subsidy may be implemented in the future with <1% annual inflation to preserve mining incentives.
[3] Uses a recurrence relation. Block reward = (M - A) * 2-20 * 10-12, where A = current circulation. Roughly 86% mined in 4 years (see graph).

can anyone explain me how the block reward formula works? Especially the variable M.

I extract this information from the post.
Block reward = (M - A) * 2-20 * 10-12
A = current circulation = 8,594,775 XMR
M = 264 - 1

so we got for the current block:

Block reward = (264 - 1 - 8594775) * 2-20 * 10-12  
Good we have Wolframalpha to calculate... Its 17.59 xmr

My problem is that 264 is such a large number, that it doesnt matter if A is 8M or 18M, reward is 17.59 in both cases. Where is the mistake?

What I finally want to calculate is: How many XMR will be mined within the next 24 hours, the next 30 days, the next 12 months and then calculate the percentage inflation rate for this duration.
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 10:59:52 AM

[1] CPU + GPU mining (about 1:1 performance for now). Memory-bound by design using AES encryption and several SHA-3 candidates.
[2] Actual number of atomic units is M = 264 - 1. A minimum subsidy may be implemented in the future with <1% annual inflation to preserve mining incentives.
[3] Uses a recurrence relation. Block reward = (M - A) * 2-20 * 10-12, where A = current circulation. Roughly 86% mined in 4 years (see graph).

can anyone explain me how the block reward formula works? Especially the variable M.

M = 264 - 1

My problem is that 264 is such a large number, that it doesnt matter if A is 8M or 18M, reward is 17.59 in both cases. Where is the mistake?

What I finally want to calculate is: How many XMR will be mined within the next 24 hours, the next 30 days, the next 12 months and then calculate the percentage inflation rate for this duration.

A should be expressed in picoxmr? (M is).

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
koryu

Activity: 681
Merit: 507

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 11:03:31 AM

M = 264 - 1

A should be expressed in picoxmr? (M is).

thanks, simple... that makes sense Smiley

1piconero = 1/1012  xmr

so we get 9.4 for current block reward?
myagui
Legendary

Activity: 1154
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 11:10:42 AM

Yep. Latest block rewards seem to agree with you (can confirm on any pool stats page).

NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2015, 11:12:29 AM

Put more simply, BCN is selling a story and looking for buyers.  It isn't a court, it is a market.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 11:49:15 AM

I am struggling to imagine what might convince you BCN was started in 2012 but am finding it hard to think of what.

You may not find the evidence of fabrication convincing, but it is clear there is at least some evidence, including the fake white paper dates, the expert opinions of deliberate crippling of the mining code, and the absence of anyone -- including people very familiar with the deep web and cryptocurrencies -- having heard of it for two years.

There is zero, zip, zilch evidence that BCN was started in 2012.

The preponderance of the evidence supports the conclusion of premine fraud. If you want to change that, find contradictory evidence.

I am not one of those ultra-experts that smooth mentions, but even after being quite involved with the altcoin/bitcoin scene starting around 2013, I had never heard of Bytecoin or Cryptonote until at least 2014.  If an altcoin enthusiast hasn't heard of it, and such a majority of coins are mined so quickly... what hope does it have to grow to become a transactional economy one day?

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
child_harold

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 12:00:19 PM

Please give me an example of a piece of evidence which would satisfy you now that bytecoin started in 2012.

Youve jumped from "most likely" to definitely. Thats an issue for me.

As I mentioned in my reply to fluffypony (see below) I am struggling to imagine what would satisfy you at this point.
My question about Surae (see green) is still unanswered.

What Saberhagen debate? Nobody has ever taken umbrage with Saberhagen being a pseudonym, as his paper was really quite good and quite a unique application of group signatures (among other things). He is more than welcome to remain as pseudonymous as Satoshi Nakamoto.

The issues that have been raised as respects "known entities" have been raised around Bytecoin's alleged release many years ago, which is demonstrably untrue. Because this has been corroborated by the Cryptonote "people", and there is the PDF signing issue, we can only conclude that they are in on the scam. Trying to find "known entities", that were aware of Bytecoin many years ago, would largely be a non-issue if the some of the Cryptonote "people" were known, or if Saberhagen was known, or if the Bytecoin developers were known. That way there would be some implicit trust because of their previous work.

It's also important to understand that being "known" has nothing to do with your real world identity, what is written on your passport. It has everything to do with your interactions with people, and work that you have made public, over a long period of time.

To answer your question, the identities of the MRL participants are elaborated on here:
https://getmonero.org/knowledge-base/people

Firstly thanks for the reply.

1) Highlighted RED: I take umbrage with: really quite good (only quite?), many years (3), demonstrably untrue (Im not convinced).
 - you state the CryptoNote Team is "in on the scam". Noted, no pun intended (again unconvinced). Moving along…

2) Highlighted BLUE: (I also take umbrage with) You place the BCN guys in a bind, a Catch 22. Those who wish to remain anonymous will hardly reveal their identities and anybody who comes along with a pseudonym saying they were there in 2012/13 will certainly be dismissed out-of-hand. archive.org cant help given the origins. I am struggling to imagine what might convince you BCN was started in 2012 but am finding it hard to think of what.

3) Highlighted GREEN: the answer. cheers. so SURAE NOETHER is indeed an anonymous entity with credentials (we are lead to believe) who works for Monero Research Labs. OK. Whilst his paper is probably sound since he is a pseudonym it is necessary for a known entity to (at some point) validate the paper, no? One of the points of the Zeuner Review (SDC) is that Zeuner IS a known entity and respected etc etc Getting one anon guy to review another is pretty meta. Point taken about reputations - this helps to a degree altho Surae has no rep like Satoshi and if Satoshi re-appeared magically he'd also be dismissed as prob being a phoney.

It is all very well for anon geniuses to come along and write papers so long as known entities validate the work. Without wishing to cast aspersions on Surae has this happened? thanks

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 12:09:45 PM
Last edit: July 21, 2015, 12:28:15 PM by smooth

Please give me an example of a piece of evidence which would satisfy you now that bytecoin started in 2012.

Here are some examples, that would at least start to tip the balance of evidence (if sufficiently convincing, one piece might do it, but if not there would need to be several supporting pieces, just as there currently are in favor of the premine fraud conclusion):

Archived pages on archive.org or another credible, independent (and tamper-resistant) third party site. These might be indirect references. For example, it was claimed that the coin was used as a major transactional currency at an international research institution. Surely such activity would have left some sort of a trail, for example people working at that institution talking about it on an archived mailing list, event announcements (e.g., cost to buy tickets or refreshments expressed in BCN, etc.) Attestation by credible witnesses with verifiable identities of having been aware of it (preferably more than one, but let's start with one). Drafts of documents on a verifiable third party site such as google docs, dropbox, etc. with appropriate "last modified" dates (I'm assuming this sites don't allow changing those dates, but I'm not sure of that). A hash of the BCN genesis block (or white papers or or a relevant "secret message" or anything else associated with BCN) buried in the Bitcoin blockchain back in 2012.

I don't see where Johnny Mnemonic jumped from "most likely" to definitely.

Maybe we can just leave things at "most likely" then and end this pointless discussion trolling? I don't think anyone would object to the statement that BCN is "most likely" a premine fraud.
child_harold

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 12:12:17 PM

I don't see where Johnny Mnemonic jumped from "most likely" to definitely.

Maybe we can just leave things at "most likely" then and end this pointless discussion trolling? I don't think anyone would object to the statement that BCN is "most likely" a premine fraud.

Please give me an example, whether it be a document or a testimony, of a piece of evidence which would satisfy you now that bytecoin started in 2012.

fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2015, 12:14:00 PM

Firstly thanks for the reply.

Pleasure:)

1) Highlighted RED: I take umbrage with: really quite good (only quite?)

Yes. It is not remarkable or groundbreaking in the way that Satoshi's whitepaper was, elegantly tying together concepts in a way that had previously never been thought of. The paper introduces some novel ideas, but things like ring signatures had already been mentioned by Satoshi Nakamoto back in 2010. It is also quite flawed in that it sketches the idea of an "egalitarian PoW algorithm" without detailing how it would work, which is rather useless and much like me showing you pictures of the cake you're trying to bake but not giving you the recipe.

Finally, it is not conceptually free from defect (not that the Bitcoin paper was, but it was certainly quite close and addressed many of the game theoretic problems that would only become apparent years later), as discussed in MRL-0001 and MRL-0004.

many years (3)

Is 3 not many? Let us not waste too much time on the semantics of a word choice that is largely irrelevant to the discussion.

demonstrably untrue (Im not convinced).

The only reason we know that Bitcoin started when it did is because it was on a very public mailing list that is archived in multiple places, and that many people (including myself) were subscribed to at the time. If CryptoNote was a profoundly innovative cryptographic miracle you'd expect that they would want to let their peers know. Academics are not only proud of their accomplishments, but they make their research extremely public as soon as possible, to avoid multiple discovery.

- you state the CryptoNote Team is "in on the scam". Noted, no pun intended (again unconvinced).

That their discovery was not made public for several years is absolutely stupefying. Either Saberhagen / the CryptoNote researchers are the humblest academics ever known to grace the face of the planet, or they purposely withheld their research from the public for years, or they only actually completed it more recently and have backdated it to match up with the Bytecoin premine scam.

The first option is implausible, given that they have, more recently, tried to speak at p2pfisy (via a Skype call that nobody could understand, apparently). They want their discovery to be known, so the idea that they were floundering in the darkness by chance is incomprehensibly illogical. It doesn't fit with the facts.

The second option is unconscionable, and if true it means that they purposely kept the implementation and network absolutely secret in order to amass a large quantity of Bytecoin (and thus they were "in on the scam", so to speak). I find this to be at least somewhat implausible, as their claim is that it was on the "dark web", and they point to some "unicorn library" that used to exist on Tor as evidence of a service that accepted Bytecoin. The only problem with this is that academics who would use this service would definitely discuss the cryptocurrency publicly, and yet we see no evidence of that.

The last option is the only one that makes absolute sense, especially given their reaction to being caught out on faking the dates on their whitepaper. Why not just back off, admit to having misstepped and made a bad decision, and then moving on?

2) Highlighted BLUE: (I also take umbrage with) You place the BCN guys in a bind, a Catch 22. Those who wish to remain anonymous will hardly reveal their identities and anybody who comes along with a pseudonym saying they were there in 2012/13 will certainly be dismissed out-of-hand. archive.org cant help given the origins. I am struggling to imagine what might convince you BCN was started in 2012 but am finding it hard to think of what.

You misunderstand - why would they be dismissed out-of-hand if they're known entities? Was the famous mathematician Nicolas Bourbaki dismissed before it came to light that it was a group of mathematicians? What about Blanches Descartes or Auguste Antoine Le Blanc? For that matter, it has been suggested that Nick Szabo is a pseudonym. Another example is Why the Lucky Stiff (aka _why), a famous Ruby developer who remained pseudonymous and eventually disappeared (although eventually being outed by an anonymous blog post later on).

People are "known", not because they've spoken at a conference or because we've seen their passport, but because they've been around and public for many years, using the same pseudonym, and have been consistent. They usually excel in a particular area, and choose to publish work pseudonymously for their own personal reasons, but their existence is known and they are often considered domain experts or are at least very knowledgeable. Hackers are another example of people who remain pseudonymous, but are absolutely well known. Same goes for many of the contributors to Monero and Bitcoin.

Now that we have that out the way, let's address the other part of your statement. These "known entities" can't be self-referential. In other words, we can't take their word on it, we need people from outside the circle that were around when Bytecoin launched. Not "mining team" garbage on their blog, not obvious sock puppets on Bitcointalk, but people are are publicly known (by their pseudonym or real name) who can vouch for Bytecoin's launch date, and also presumably provide a copy of the code from before the March 2014 commit. If a sufficient amount of evidence piles up (as would naturally have occurred) then this would be a non-issue.

3) Highlighted GREEN: the answer. cheers. so SURAE NOETHER is indeed an anonymous entity with credentials (we are lead to believe) who works for Monero Research Labs. OK. Whilst his paper is probably sound since he is a pseudonym it is necessary for a known entity to (at some point) validate the paper, no? One of the points of the Zeuner Review (SDC) is that Zeuner IS a known entity and respected etc etc Getting one anon guy to review another is pretty meta. Point taken about reputations - this helps to a degree altho Surae has no rep like Satoshi and if Satoshi re-appeared magically he'd also be dismissed as prob being a phoney.

Surae and Surang wrote the review collectively, as at that stage Surang had no pseudonym of his own. Both of them are known to me, and their proviso for working on Monero was that they use a pseudonym. The circle that have met them in real life consists of the other current MRL members, as well as Monero contributor tewinget, which is still a closed circle. Thus the reason for "trusting" their review is three-fold: (i) the review comments stand on their own merit, despite being written when our understanding of the work CryptoNote had done was still in its early days; (ii) other known entities that have read it have added comments, none of which have slammed the review as being incorrect; (iii) the subsequent body of work put out by the Monero Research Lab further cements their position as domain experts.

You are correct in that Zeuner is a known entity. He has a LinkedIn profile and everything. But he is not known or respected in the fields required to review SDC's whitepaper or code. He has no papers published on arXiv (in contrast to the MRL academia, a statement you will have to take at face value I'm afraid). His LinkedIn profile lists him as being proficient in the fields of: domain names, e-mail marketing, tourism, business intelligence, market research, telecommunications, search engines, financial. None of those are particularly relevant. Cryptographers, even those with only a modicum of skill, actively participate in cryptography discussions, but I see no evidence of him on any of the cryptography mailing lists / forums / subreddits / crypto.stackexchange answers. We can also get a monkey to rubber-stamp Monero, but that's not particularly advantageous to anyone, except as a marketing gimmick, don't you think?

It is all very well for anon geniuses to come along and write papers so long as known entities validate the work. Without wishing to cast aspersions on Surae has this happened? thanks

See above. The validity of the work remains unchallenged, and stands based on its own merit and on the subsequent MRL research bulletins published by the same authors.

child_harold

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 12:15:30 PM

^thanks for the above reply fluffypony. whist I still have your attention could you also please give me an example, whether it be a document or a testimony, of a piece of evidence which would satisfy you now that bytecoin started in 2012? thanks

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 12:16:51 PM

Please give me an example, whether it be a document or a testimony, of a piece of evidence which would satisfy you now that bytecoin started in 2012.

Edited above
child_harold

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 12:24:00 PM

Edited above

? Im sorry, what evidence would satisfy you?

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 12:27:27 PM

Edited above

? Im sorry, what evidence would satisfy you?

Edited in this reply above.
Pages: « 1 ... 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 1237 1238 1239 1240 1241 1242 1243 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 [1282] 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 ... 2124 »
  Print  

Jump to: