Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 07:47:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1241 1242 1243 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 [1291] 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 ... 2124 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4669110 times)
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 09:12:28 AM

The original code apparently had nearly all the comments programmatically stripped out. (I have no idea how well commented it was before they were stripped, of course.)
What is the evidence that nearly all the comments were programmatically stripped out?

There are very few comments, and little to nothing the way of design documents or notes, so either nearly all of these were removed from the tree (though "programmatically" is just a theory -- they could also have been removed by hand) or the code was never properly documented in the first place (ugh).

As further evidence for the latter, there are some modules that have been identified as being from other open source libraries with the attributions and comments removed, but again it is still possible those comments were removed but the rest of the code was never commented.
newb4now

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 04:14:41 PM

Everyone please join
http://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/

and

https://forum.getmonero.org

Better organization of information and less trolling
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2015, 05:14:34 PM

The original code apparently had nearly all the comments programmatically stripped out. (I have no idea how well commented it was before they were stripped, of course.)
What is the evidence that nearly all the comments were programmatically stripped out?

Also when they used our payment_id / RPC code and merged it back to their repo they stripped out all our explanatory comments.

Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3822
Merit: 4926

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 05:22:20 PM

There are very few comments, and little to nothing the way of design documents or notes, so either nearly all of these were removed from the tree (though "programmatically" is just a theory -- they could also have been removed by hand) or the code was never properly documented in the first place (ugh).

As further evidence for the latter, there are some modules that have been identified as being from other open source libraries with the attributions and comments removed, but again it is still possible those comments were removed but the rest of the code was never commented.

Have those modules comments been reinstated?

Also when they used our payment_id / RPC code and merged it back to their repo they stripped out all our explanatory comments.

Well thats a HUGE red flag! Is there a way to permanently point this out on github for others to note?

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 05:30:54 PM

Everyone please join

and

Except that I can't reply in any threads on https://forum.getmonero.org

I used to be able to.  I can start threads, which I have to let it be known I am having issues.  Now waiting, it's all I can do.
luigi1111
Legendary

Activity: 1105
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 05:53:38 PM

Everyone please join

and

I used to be able to.  I can start threads, which I have to let it be known I am having issues.  Now waiting, it's all I can do.

I see your thread there; since you can't respond there, I'll ask here:

Have you tried a new user account or different PC? Those seem the most obvious isolation ideas.
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 06:18:24 PM

Everyone please join

and

I used to be able to.  I can start threads, which I have to let it be known I am having issues.  Now waiting, it's all I can do.

I see your thread there; since you can't respond there, I'll ask here:

Have you tried a new user account or different PC? Those seem the most obvious isolation ideas.

Thanks for the suggestions.  Neither worked.

I had already tried 3 different browsers.
marcetin
Legendary

Activity: 1124
Merit: 1013

ParalleCoin's ruler from the shadow

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2015, 07:28:22 PM

New Monero crowd funded nodes are up!

https://bitnodes.net/node/104-255-33-226/
https://bitnodes.net/node/194-135-90-69/
https://bitnodes.net/node/23-227-190-223/

Cheers!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  PLAN 9   FROM CRYPTO SPACE    PARALLELCOIN 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My fellow members, ask not what the community can do for you, ask what you can do for the community. CCW-WebRes-BitStickers-AnonStickers.shop------------------------------ ParallelCoin

The Secret of Success is to find out where people are going.. and get there first! - Mark Twain
Bitrated user: marcetin.
medusa13

Activity: 453
Merit: 500

hello world

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 08:10:29 PM

how big is the network really?
i can see numbers from 8 mh/s to 14 mh/s.

can't we estimate it better? (or you, becasue i cant Kiss)

like saying difficulty 900'000'000 means there are like 20'000 gtx 960 equivalents or whatever

XMR Monero
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 08:32:48 PM

how big is the network really?
i can see numbers from 8 mh/s to 14 mh/s.

can't we estimate it better? (or you, becasue i cant Kiss)

like saying difficulty 900'000'000 means there are like 20'000 gtx 960 equivalents or whatever

The difficulty or some interpolated version of the difficulty is really the best estimate. The hash rate estimate is the difficulty estimate divided by 60.

So at a difficulty of 900M the hash rate estimate would be 15M. Let's say a midrange GPU is 500 H/s so that would be 30 000 GPUs.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 08:36:13 PM
Last edit: July 29, 2015, 08:00:34 AM by smooth

Getting more of the common code to directly use existing (and actively maintained) open source libraries is definitely an ongoing goal. It isn't exactly the highest priority because, well, it works the way it is and there are other priorities (and limited resources).

Well thats a HUGE red flag! Is there a way to permanently point this out on github for others to note?

I think fluffypony pointed out the exact incident with github commits on one of the old trolling threads.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2015, 08:38:24 PM

There may be licensing/attribution issues with borrowed and stripped code.  But IDK if github will do anything about it.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
MoneroMooo
Legendary

Activity: 1276
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 09:04:30 PM

There may be licensing/attribution issues with borrowed and stripped code.  But IDK if github will do anything about it.

I wouldn't really want github to get in the business of deciding what gets censored or not. How would they determine if a claim is valid ? What if both projects took code from a third one which they don't know about, for instance ? Besides, only the attribution/copyright thing is wrong. Removing comments is perfectly fine, as long as the copyright notice is retained.

binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 09:11:22 PM

Is anybody working on a faucet?

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 09:52:21 PM

Is anybody working on a faucet?

Yeah, shitaifan2013 stated that he is working on that in cooperation with SafeDice if I recall correctly.

Edit:

MM time?

It's been a very busy week for Monero.

I demand a new MoneroWorld Weekly Digest!

Here I'll start:

- part time core dev crowdfunding nearly done   Shocked

-Chinese translation funded  Cool

-Arabic and many other translations Soon(tm)  Smiley

-Peter Todd says nice thing about Monero, trolls Dash, absolutely epic butthurt ensues  Grin

-NoodleDoodle issues massive commit bringing DB to RAM performance levels or better  Shocked

-RPIE announces his company will start the process of buying One Million Moneroj  Shocked

-8/8 is declared Lucky Monero Day in China   Undecided

-Jay-Z films new rap video sitting in hot tub filled with cryptonic coins, champagne, and groupies  Wink

-Putin announces he will only sell gas/oil/vodka for XMR   Huh

-Monero Bears still understandably terrified of shorting, even given 0% loans   Roll Eyes

3 little additions Smiley

- a finnish company is planning to get more exposure to monero (edit: just saw that you already mentiioned this)

- a faucet is going to launch within the next few weeks

- 2 newly corwdfunded xmr nodes via bitnodes.net(https://bitnodes.net/status/) are up

have a good start in this new week gang!

Nice recap. I think I missed the faucet news. Where was that?

so far I've only dropped the hint on the faucet launch one or two times. Wink  maybe that wasnt on here but on getmonero.org.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 11:21:16 PM
Last edit: July 29, 2015, 12:18:05 AM by americanpegasus

Speaking of dice sites, who's gonna be the next Voorhees?  Who will make the goto dice/gambling site for Monero?  

I was actually seeing a push from some of the more creative alt coiners to create slot machines and virtual scratch off tickets with cryptocurrency.  If they were provably fair, this could be lucrative.  

I know maybe I'm opening up the floodgates for spam here, but can someone summarize all major Monero gambling sites in a single post?

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 11:42:07 PM

Speaking of dice sites, who's gonna be the next Voorhees?  Who will make the goto dice/gambling site for Monero? 

I was actually seeing a push from some of the more creative alt coiners to create slot machines and virtual scratch off tickets with cryptocurrency.  If they were probably fair, this could be lucrative. 

I know maybe I'm opening up the floodgates for spam here, but can someone summarize all major Monero gambling sites in a single post?

I think SafeDice is the only other site accepting Monero.

In general dice left a bad taste in our mouths after Bobbax ran with the XMR. Were you around for that? Cryptocoins-Dice exit scam.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 12:10:01 AM

Speaking of dice sites, who's gonna be the next Voorhees?  Who will make the goto dice/gambling site for Monero? 

I was actually seeing a push from some of the more creative alt coiners to create slot machines and virtual scratch off tickets with cryptocurrency.  If they were probably fair, this could be lucrative. 

I think SafeDice is the only other site accepting Monero.

In general dice left a bad taste in our mouths after Bobbax ran with the XMR. Were you around for that? Cryptocoins-Dice exit scam.

What Voorhees did is not run an exit scam, and he made a lot more than Bobbax did. Something to consider.

americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 12:23:46 AM
Last edit: July 29, 2015, 12:49:05 AM by americanpegasus

What Voorhees did is not run an exit scam, and he made a lot more than Bobbax did. Something to consider.

And is a famous and respected force in bitcoin now as a consequence.  

People underestimate the value of things constantly, including trust and reputation.  Vorhees made a nice purse from his dice website, but look what happened next.  He proved to the world that he had integrity and his *personal* value was rewarded when he was able to leverage it as collateral to startup 21 Inc.  

At the end of the day, if you scam 100 bitcoins from people and run you are just a player in another type of rat race.  Value is created around us every day, and value is only determined by the opinions of others.  Vorhees could have made off with a massive chunk and retired a millionaire, though one who needed to watch his back for the rest of his life.  

Instead?  He will likely be one of the richest men in the world one day at his current pace, a billionaire many times over.    

I'm looking forward to joining him on that list.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2015, 01:34:57 AM
Last edit: July 29, 2015, 05:37:05 AM by iCEBREAKER

Speaking of dice sites, who's gonna be the next Voorhees?  Who will make the goto dice/gambling site for Monero?  

I was actually seeing a push from some of the more creative alt coiners to create slot machines and virtual scratch off tickets with cryptocurrency.  If they were provably fair, this could be lucrative.  

What about making a web/wallet front-end for the nifty #Monero IRC gambling bot thingy?  That entity is trusted AFAIK.

S.DICE is an MPEX asset, which is another reason to create an equivalent ("RPEX"  Cheesy) in Monero-space.

Crypto Kingdom will need such a provably fair backend for its many casinos and gentlemanly gaming parlours.  I'd lend the hell out of my stash to a suitable Tacoshi Dice start-up.   Cool

And then there's poker.  The next Seal With Clubs should use Monero to avoid Micon-type imperial entanglements....

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Pages: « 1 ... 1241 1242 1243 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 1267 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 [1291] 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 ... 2124 »
  Print  

Jump to: