Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 07:09:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 1415 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 1431 1432 1433 1434 1435 1436 1437 1438 1439 1440 1441 1442 1443 1444 1445 1446 1447 1448 1449 1450 1451 1452 1453 1454 1455 1456 1457 [1458] 1459 1460 1461 1462 1463 1464 1465 1466 1467 1468 1469 1470 1471 1472 1473 1474 1475 1476 1477 1478 1479 1480 1481 1482 1483 1484 1485 1486 1487 1488 1489 1490 1491 1492 1493 1494 1495 1496 1497 1498 1499 1500 1501 1502 1503 1504 1505 1506 1507 1508 ... 2125 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4669564 times)
myagui
Legendary

Activity: 1154
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 12:08:55 AM

My ignore list just got bumped, yay!  Cheesy
Friendly reminder: please don't quote the trolls.

Good to see Monero back at a saner price. I seem to recall that most of our volume, historically, was around this region (if not a tad higher). The rather obvious downside is, my buying power just went down (in units of Monero)...  Undecided

jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1115

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 12:37:36 AM

Is this official? https://getmonero.org/getting-started/choose

scroll to bottom.

I get a red No Daemon connection message. Guess it's not working.

Two of the links on the bottom of that page are out of date. I just checked and it seems to be working fine:

but those links point to the executable and source for the old python version (which uses a default node that is now defunct). The new java version uses Atrides' node by default and should connect without issue on startup. Links to binary and source:
https://github.com/jwinterm/LightWallet2
https://github.com/jwinterm/LightWallet2/releases
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2016, 01:18:17 AM

Is this official? https://getmonero.org/getting-started/choose

scroll to bottom.

I get a red No Daemon connection message. Guess it's not working.

Two of the links on the bottom of that page are out of date. I just checked and it seems to be working fine:

but those links point to the executable and source for the old python version (which uses a default node that is now defunct). The new java version uses Atrides' node by default and should connect without issue on startup. Links to binary and source:
https://github.com/jwinterm/LightWallet2
https://github.com/jwinterm/LightWallet2/releases

did someone say make a pull request to the website? Smiley

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 05:33:39 AM

It has been a long time since I had enough time and energy to express my views on the trajectory and progress of XMR.  But today I wrote something I think suitable to the moment, and someone might find it encouraging in times to come, so I will cross-post it here, with apologies for any redundancy:

It is easy to take a triumphalist tone during the rips.  The real reward comes to those who can keep that flame burning through the dips.  In fact, I believe we are much, much nearer the bottom than the top, even now.

There really is, even now, almost two full years into the game, nothing real and present which can compare to the excellent qualities of XMR as digital currency, pure and simple.  Many innovative cryptocoins have introduced interesting technologies and economic models, but all of those features actually damage their ability to be used as currency.  Those that come closest in features fail in various and diverse ways such that their distant miniscule liquidity is a profound and persistent handicap.

I have always said that if a superior currency were to emerge, I would change my allegiance as circumstances dictated.  I see less and less likelihood of such an eventuality with each passing million USD of liquidity added to XMR.  No, this is not a pump and dump.  It is one tiny step, with leaps and bounds yet to come, and every inch of the way is hard fought, and every victory well-earned -- some paid for dearly. It is earned primarily by excellence in technology, and secured by honest and transparent dealings.

There are at least 20 trillions of USD in wealth held privately, away from prying eyes, extortionists, thieves, and kidnappers, which currently rely on very illiquid instruments, and some significant proportion of those trillions will need to pass through the eye of our little needle at some point.  I believe that our tiny trickle will be compelled to grow into a mighty torrent of liquidity, through many disruptive stages over several years.  And it has not begun but one ten thousandth of the way yet.

XMR technology continues a long methodical and responsible march towards a balance of those specific features required to function as an international fully distributed private currency, without counterparty risk, without vulnerability to the dictat of a central authority.  The management of such an enterprise is frought with pitfalls, as nearly every cryptocoins project has demonstrated. Yet the meritocratic grass-roots development regime of XMR has avoided these traps nimbly, with a lot of hard work, motivated by a vision of positive social value and of just and worthy personal reward deriving from that honest added value.  

I am encouraged and energized to be a small part of such an economy, and grateful for the opportunity to participate in some small way in the project of making the world a freer, safer, more just place for generations to come.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
elrippo
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 05:52:23 AM

Where can I download the Monero wallet from? I could only find a web wallet. Needless to say web wallets are as secure as horse shit.

https://getmonero.org/downloads/

Trying to run the windows wallet but won't work. Any ideas why?

Error message? Screenshot? (redact any personal data of course)

Nevermind, my bad. It seems it doesn't work on 32 bit windows Sad

Coming SoonTM, I believe. Use the web wallet for non-life changing amounts in the meantime.

Thanks but guess I'll stick to Dash. They have two cool types of windows wallets. Electrum and the standard one.
^^ now THAT is a bullcrap troll. And who still runs 32bit? luls. iCEBREAKER we found you a friend!

32 bit eats less resources and HDD space. I run it on my 128 GB SSD cold storage notebook which only has 4 GB of RAM. It's perfect for that.
LOL @ 4 gigs of ram

Why would I need more for a cold storage laptop?
The real question is, why do you need a dedicated cold storage laptop? You aren't staking. You don't have the resources to run multiple wallets efficiently. You aren't airgapped. You probably aren't even energy efficient if it is a laptop. IMO the only reason you would have a computer like that is to run MASTERNODES which are about the equivalent security-wise to running a TOR EXIT NODE. But some people just like pyramid scams. Some people don't and would rather not go and blast their info all over a crypto network.

Please d not mix up TOR with DASH, that would be like to compare a good old Whiskey with a terrible Headache  Huh Shocked

For Advertisement. PM me to discuss.
Herp

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 11:48:43 AM

Was I right yesterday or what? Monero went to the crapper. It was fake volume and arranged pump all along. It wasn't an organic move up based on real buyers doing real buying.

Monero's not ready for prime time yet. The wallets are not working out of the box. Tested their lite wallet the other day. Didn't work.

The market cap should be somewhere around 4-5mil tops maybe lower.

███████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████▐████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
DECENT
FOUNDATION

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[D]ecentralized application
[E]liminated third parties
[C]ontent distribution

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[E]ncrypted & secure
[N]o borders
[T]imeless reputation

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

meme magic

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 12:13:13 PM

even more good news:

http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/16/5d-discs-can-store-data-until-well-after-the-sun-burns-out/

1337leet

Activity: 1308
Merit: 508

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 12:15:22 PM

Hey guys,

I use two devices for mining.
One with an AMD GPU + AMD A8 CPU. It's running Claymore GPU miner. It does take the main GPU + the CPU graphics.

My second mining device has a Nvidia GPU + i7 3630QM. The GPU is running ccminer.

My problem ist, that the second device does only use the main GPU and doesn't use the CPU graphics.

Anyone knows how I can get the CPU graphics running?

aiwe
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1101

karbo.io

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2016, 01:28:32 PM

Maybe Claymore's miner doesn't work with intel graphics.

████▄▄████████████▄▄████
██▄██████████████████▄██
██████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
████████████████████████
██████████████████████
██▀██████████████████▀██
████▀▀████████████▀▀████
  Ҝ
Ҝ
Ҝ
Ҝ
Ҝ
Ҝ
Ҝ
Ҝ
Ҝ
Ҝ
Ҝ
Ҝ
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 01:31:39 PM

Hey guys,

One with an AMD GPU + AMD A8 CPU. It's running Claymore GPU miner. It does take the main GPU + the CPU graphics.

My second mining device has a Nvidia GPU + i7 3630QM. The GPU is running ccminer.

My problem ist, that the second device does only use the main GPU and doesn't use the CPU graphics.

No miner supports internal cpu graphics as far as i know.

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
1337leet

Activity: 1308
Merit: 508

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 02:09:17 PM

Hey guys,

The claymore miner does.
It shows 2 GPU's
One with 2 GB Ram (the "real" GPU) and one with 2,7 GB Ram which must be the CPU graphics.

But the claymore one is for AMD only which means I can't run my Nvidia system on it.
Drhiggins

Activity: 306
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 03:36:17 PM

Herp what kind of name is that? Is it simplex 1 or 2?

Probably all the above.

Like every other troll you show up here spreading your filth like the ass hat you are.  Trolls always show up when good things are happening with Monero.

You know nothing about this coin, it history or where it is going, nor the good work being done by so many. Many of those folks get no compensation for their time. 

You claim the Dev's are somehow playing everyone, but I have followed this coin since almost the beginning and one of the main reasons I still am involved is there was no pre mine of this coin like so many other shit coins out there. From what I know your shit coin Dark/Dash was a pre-mine.  I think you are being played Herp by your own shit coin.

In my observations the Dev's have been honest and forth coming about what is going on.  I have also found the community here works together and does not come in and spread shit talk all over the place.  I have found the trolls that show up here are worried about Monero's future vs. the shit coin they support.

Herp you should look into One Coin its right up your alley.

Kindly piss off and go back to troll cave you came from.  Nobody gives a shit about you or your uneducated opinions on Monero.

Monerohash.com   U.S. Mining Pool
Drhiggins

Activity: 306
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 03:57:01 PM

Hey guys,

The claymore miner does.
It shows 2 GPU's
One with 2 GB Ram (the "real" GPU) and one with 2,7 GB Ram which must be the CPU graphics.

But the claymore one is for AMD only which means I can't run my Nvidia system on it.

You could run ccminer for your Nvidia GPU's  I have run it with two Nvidia card I have in a gaming machine.  Runs great and I get a good hash rate.  I have older card but still get a good hash rate per card around 250 H/s

Monerohash.com   U.S. Mining Pool
pookielax31

Activity: 462
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 07:13:48 PM

Selloff was expected after that rise... I shorted top and happy to have a much better position in XMR..... Bravo on the SDC bit, it speaks to the intelligence and brain power behind this team.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 08:26:53 PM

Some interesting comments on reddit today that deserve a crosspost. The question was: Is Monero a get rich quick scheme?

Warz' answer:

If you have to ask this question, I'd argue that the answer is no, do not buy monero. Nobody knows the future of monero. It can succeed, and it can fail. Investing is risky and speculative. If you are looking for "get rich quick schemes" you are doing it wrong.

Instead learn about the technology behind monero and start to ponder which ways an anonymous crypto currency can impact the world. When you have done enough research and learned more perhaps you will feel confident to invest. Don't just be a sheep and jump onto something because people praise it, find out why they praise it.

Fluffypony's answer:

Some people don't like it when I'm overly pragmatic, but I think it's important that you understand the scenarios.

• The most likely scenario is that Monero fails entirely, due to lack of funding / a major break in Curve25519 or some other cryptography / general apathy towards financial privacy.
  • The second-most-likely scenario is that Monero never has a meteoric rise in value because it has no fixed emission (from 2023 onwards it becomes slightly disinflationary, <1% inflation a year) and it never achieves more than niche usage.
  • A less likely scenario is that Monero does have a meteoric rise in value, not due to artificially limited emission, but due to some uptake in its use (ie. it is priced based on utility, not based on artificial scarcity).
  • Perhaps the least likely (at this stage anyway) is that Bitcoin flounders and collapses at a time when Monero has achieved a degree of maturity in its development, and there is an in-rush of former Bitcoin holders (well, those whose FOMO is greater than their fear that the tail emission will never make them "rich").

Given these scenarios, if you have limited funds I would advise that you DON'T buy any Monero. If you are not comfortable with the massive risk you are taking, then DON'T buy Monero. If you want to play around with Monero then DO buy a very small amount (I assume $10 wouldn't be too much of a hit).

If you have read up on all the aspects of Monero, and are completely familiar with and comfortable with the risks, then I would suggest taking a different strategy than sinking a large portion of your paycheck in: rather buy a little bit every month, but buy it consistently. If Monero evaporates you will have lost relatively little, if it stays somewhat stable you will have lost nothing, and if it has a meteoric rise your then-cheap stash will be worth substantially more.

However: if you choose to do the latter and buy some Monero to hold, remember that you are very much able to influence your investment's fate. If you expect to sit back and for Monero to magically rise, that is very unlikely to happen. If, however, you get involved and see what you can do to build up the burgeoning Monero economy, that is beneficial for you and for Monero. If you are not a developer, then you can still contribute content and fixed on the website - start by checking out the Monero community Trello board (/u/stefioan will help you with details, if you're interested).

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/468qwv/is_monero_a_get_rich_quick_scheme/

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
erok

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 09:43:07 PM

IMO the only reason you would have a computer like that is to run MASTERNODES which are about the equivalent security-wise to running a TOR EXIT NODE. But some people just like pyramid scams. Some people don't and would rather not go and blast their info all over a crypto network.

Please d not mix up TOR with DASH, that would be like to compare a good old Whiskey with a terrible Headache  Huh Shocked
It was a bad metaphor. But I couldn't/can't think of a more accurate way to dumb it down for herp derp.

"the destruction of privacy widens the existing power imbalance between the ruling factions and everyone else" -- Julian Assange
Herp

View Profile
February 18, 2016, 01:27:08 AM

Selloff was expected after that rise... I shorted top and happy to have a much better position in XMR..... Bravo on the SDC bit, it speaks to the intelligence and brain power behind this team.

Expected by all but the poor suckers who bought into this organized hyperinflated pump the Monero devs orchestrated.

Who's gonna give them the lube to lubrify those sore assholes? Are you gonna tend to them?

If I were one of those poor smucks, I'd probably be looking into suing someone for defrauding investors.

████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████▐████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
DECENT
FOUNDATION

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[C]ontent distribution

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[E]ncrypted & secure
[N]o borders
[T]imeless reputation

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

c789

Activity: 850
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 18, 2016, 01:41:26 AM

The price is still higher than it was 5 days ago.

Monero is poised to go higher. I don't know when, but if you consider these points, it's looking very good for the long term (very important) and perhaps even the short-term (not as important, but nice)

• It's the only major coin that's completely fungible, private, secure, decentralized, and untraceable.
  • The cryptology behind it has been tested and proven. Indeed, it is under constant scrutiny from people/orgs, some of whom are desperately probing for fundamental weaknesses. After much testing, research, and use, it remains solid.
  • More companies and governments are becoming ever more intrusive into the details of our lives. As this continues, the need and demand for a truly private currency will grow.

Comparison of Privacy-Centric Coins: https://moneroforcash.com/monero-vs-dash-vs-zcash-vs-bitcoinmixers.php also includes Verge and Pivx
Herp

View Profile
February 18, 2016, 02:39:32 AM

The price is still higher than it was 5 days ago.

Monero is poised to go higher. I don't know when, but if you consider these points, it's looking very good for the long term (very important) and perhaps even the short-term (not as important, but nice)

• It's the only major coin that's completely fungible, private, secure, decentralized, and untraceable.
  • The cryptology behind it has been tested and proven. Indeed, it is under constant scrutiny from people/orgs, some of whom are desperately probing for fundamental weaknesses. After much testing, research, and use, it remains solid.
  • More companies and governments are becoming ever more intrusive into the details of our lives. As this continues, the need and demand for a truly private currency will grow.

Monero's poised to be poison for poor suckers who didn't sell yet. Real volume is around 30k. Still has a long way to crash. He who defects first defects best as saying goes. Be my guest and try catching falling poisoned knives on their way to 3-4 million market cap.

████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████▐████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
DECENT
FOUNDATION

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[C]ontent distribution

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[E]ncrypted & secure
[N]o borders
[T]imeless reputation

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

CTTE

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 18, 2016, 03:23:50 AM

Well, it looks like I just found another idiot to ignore!

Actually, I can't tell if herp is really that stupid or not... I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and just consider him stupid. I have more respect for an idiot than someone who purposely spews this crap for his own benefit.
Pages: « 1 ... 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 1415 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 1431 1432 1433 1434 1435 1436 1437 1438 1439 1440 1441 1442 1443 1444 1445 1446 1447 1448 1449 1450 1451 1452 1453 1454 1455 1456 1457 [1458] 1459 1460 1461 1462 1463 1464 1465 1466 1467 1468 1469 1470 1471 1472 1473 1474 1475 1476 1477 1478 1479 1480 1481 1482 1483 1484 1485 1486 1487 1488 1489 1490 1491 1492 1493 1494 1495 1496 1497 1498 1499 1500 1501 1502 1503 1504 1505 1506 1507 1508 ... 2125 »
  Print  

Jump to: