Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 12:53:50 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1414 1415 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 1431 1432 1433 1434 1435 1436 1437 1438 1439 1440 1441 1442 1443 1444 1445 1446 1447 1448 1449 1450 1451 1452 1453 1454 1455 1456 1457 1458 1459 1460 1461 1462 1463 [1464] 1465 1466 1467 1468 1469 1470 1471 1472 1473 1474 1475 1476 1477 1478 1479 1480 1481 1482 1483 1484 1485 1486 1487 1488 1489 1490 1491 1492 1493 1494 1495 1496 1497 1498 1499 1500 1501 1502 1503 1504 1505 1506 1507 1508 1509 1510 1511 1512 1513 1514 ... 2125 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4669595 times)
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 07:09:50 PM

Donations can't sustain a project. Pure and simple.

How did Bitcoin survive then? Also, there exists a Forum Funding System.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
auswalk

Activity: 128
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 08:12:55 PM

Friendly reminder for everyone, the work and activity on the GUI can be followed here:

https://github.com/mbg033?tab=activity

https://github.com/mbg033/monero-core

https://github.com/mbg033/bitmonero

GREAT NEWS MAN!
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2016, 08:50:16 PM

Let's hope we never have to buy our groceries on the black market.

I've gone with a friend to his black market raw milk drop spot.

Milk Road is coming sooon and they only take XMR?

Is it true?   Cheesy

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3850
Merit: 5028

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
February 21, 2016, 10:38:02 PM

Alice Homemade: first restaurant in the world to accept XMR?

On Friday I had the pleasure to make a real-life XMR transaction with what is probably the first restaurant to accept Monero in the world: "Alice Homemade".  
I ordered two salads to be delivered at my home, and paid the delivery man (who also happened to be the restaurant owner) 12 XMR. There is also a 20% discount if you pay with Monero, and on top of the discount I also got two delicious tiramisus, because... that was history in the making! Smiley  

(Note I ordered food many times before while paying in XMR. Where I live there is a big website that accept Bitcoin and does the interface between end-customers and hundreds of restaurants, so usually I just pay that website in XMR through https://xmr.to - the restaurants in this case don't even know the command is paid in BTC, even less in XMR).  

But this time this was different, this restaurant Alice Homemade is now accepting Monero directly! (They were also one of the first in the country to accept bitcoins). Here is the Monero transaction for my two salads: 68be427ec0e6c09961522e444e862b643a86ed0f36aaca170c2116686b5d2f44  

They don't have a website, here is the location and some pictures on google.

If you pass by (it's close to Brussels international airport), show them some love Smiley  

I've heard of the Place! You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant. That must be why they are such into privacy centric assets. Cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m57gzA2JCcM

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
auswalk

Activity: 128
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 01:23:05 AM

I just started looking into monero b/c it appears to be the best anonymous coin and the value that can provide is what made bitcoin what it is today. For those of you that don't know what I'm talking about, you don't need to know.

But there is a legit beef. I'm an IT guy and it is NOT TRIVIAL to do transactions. The wallet is called "simplewallet" it runs via a command line interface (CLI). I tried to use some third party gui "lightwallet" but that is a total joke. It wouldn't even write the config file. After 30 mins screwing with that piece of junk, I gave up.

1. There is no desktop GUI client wallet. I find that pretty poor planning. If you have no GUI wallet, then you have no usage. Someone badly needs to step up to the plate and get that built.

2. The fact it doesn't share bitcoin's codebase is both a curse and a sparkling diamond. B/c it doesn't get some free code from the bitcoin project, the client and updates are slower.

Going back to #1.

MONERO GET A GUI CLIENT UP NOW. The coin is worthless if it requires a CS degree to use a CLI wallet to use the damn thing. Consider who your target audience is. Also explain right off the bat what the viewkey is, the spendkey, and the PAYMENT ID (which I understand is mandatory for some merchants in order to verify a transaction even existed). mymonero.com is nice but you understand the entire purpose of this coin is super privacy. You can't have people viewing transactions on a website b/c there's no GUI client. Bam there goes privacy.

That should be priority 1 while you continue to work on the infrastrature. Get some usage, feedback, and more merchant support. Please. Otherwise the entire effort may be in vain.

There will be a GUI not now but soon.  It is actively being worked on with most of the work already done and the rest was just funded.  See here, screenshots and every thing.  https://forum.getmonero.org/9/work-in-progress/2476/the-official-qt-gui-project

If you are an IT guy it should not be a big deal for you and I assume your critique is about the wider use of the coin.  It is an issue that keeps coming up so that will be reflected in the answers you get here.  I'm not an IT guy but an idiot but with some motivation and help from the community I learned to use simple wallet with no problems.  As an IT guy you can always contribute to this open source project.

Well I just joined the dev team to help in this effort. Instead of just bitching, I'm now gonna take part in hopefully making this GUI a reality sooner rather than later.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 01:54:40 AM

I just started looking into monero b/c it appears to be the best anonymous coin and the value that can provide is what made bitcoin what it is today. For those of you that don't know what I'm talking about, you don't need to know.

But there is a legit beef. I'm an IT guy and it is NOT TRIVIAL to do transactions. The wallet is called "simplewallet" it runs via a command line interface (CLI). I tried to use some third party gui "lightwallet" but that is a total joke. It wouldn't even write the config file. After 30 mins screwing with that piece of junk, I gave up.

1. There is no desktop GUI client wallet. I find that pretty poor planning. If you have no GUI wallet, then you have no usage. Someone badly needs to step up to the plate and get that built.

2. The fact it doesn't share bitcoin's codebase is both a curse and a sparkling diamond. B/c it doesn't get some free code from the bitcoin project, the client and updates are slower.

Going back to #1.

MONERO GET A GUI CLIENT UP NOW. The coin is worthless if it requires a CS degree to use a CLI wallet to use the damn thing. Consider who your target audience is. Also explain right off the bat what the viewkey is, the spendkey, and the PAYMENT ID (which I understand is mandatory for some merchants in order to verify a transaction even existed). mymonero.com is nice but you understand the entire purpose of this coin is super privacy. You can't have people viewing transactions on a website b/c there's no GUI client. Bam there goes privacy.

That should be priority 1 while you continue to work on the infrastrature. Get some usage, feedback, and more merchant support. Please. Otherwise the entire effort may be in vain.

There will be a GUI not now but soon.  It is actively being worked on with most of the work already done and the rest was just funded.  See here, screenshots and every thing.  https://forum.getmonero.org/9/work-in-progress/2476/the-official-qt-gui-project

If you are an IT guy it should not be a big deal for you and I assume your critique is about the wider use of the coin.  It is an issue that keeps coming up so that will be reflected in the answers you get here.  I'm not an IT guy but an idiot but with some motivation and help from the community I learned to use simple wallet with no problems.  As an IT guy you can always contribute to this open source project.

Well I just joined the dev team to help in this effort. Instead of just bitching, I'm now gonna take part in hopefully making this GUI a reality sooner rather than later.

Welcome! :-) It's nice to have someone new on board.

Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 02:19:51 AM

MAAM #4: Monero Ask Anything Monday

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/46yluu/maam_4_monero_ask_anything_monday/

nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 03:02:54 AM

Going back to #1.

MEOW Smiley

The first 2 responses to your original post were as I said, due to the history of the seemingly eternal GUI question.  Your post was well written and I thought it deserved a more appropriate response.

Thank you for joining the effort, a pleasant surprise. 

Here is a link to the Monero Forum for a post from 11 months ago titled "Why is the official GUI wallet not released yet".  It explains what is needed to come first and why.  Much of that work has been done.   

https://forum.getmonero.org/1/news-announcements-and-editorials/190/editorial-why-is-the-official-gui-wallet-not-released-yet
Herp

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 03:04:25 AM

Going back to #1.

There will be a GUI not now but soon.  It is actively being worked on with most of the work already done and the rest was just funded.  See here, screenshots and every thing.  https://forum.getmonero.org/9/work-in-progress/2476/the-official-qt-gui-project

Why not join the Dash crew and actually get paid for your efforts from their decentralized budget? You will also get to be part of a team that actually stands a chance of developing a viable product long term.

███████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████▐████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
DECENT
FOUNDATION

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[D]ecentralized application
[E]liminated third parties
[C]ontent distribution

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[E]ncrypted & secure
[N]o borders
[T]imeless reputation

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 03:34:49 AM

Going back to #1.

There will be a GUI not now but soon.  It is actively being worked on with most of the work already done and the rest was just funded.  See here, screenshots and every thing.  https://forum.getmonero.org/9/work-in-progress/2476/the-official-qt-gui-project

If you are an IT guy it should not be a big deal for you and I assume your critique is about the wider use of the coin.  It is an issue that keeps coming up so that will be reflected in the answers you get here.  I'm not an IT guy but an idiot but with some motivation and help from the community I learned to use simple wallet with no problems.  As an IT guy you can always contribute to this open source project.

Why not join the Dash crew and actually get paid for your efforts from their decentralized budget? You will also get to be part of a team that actually stands a chance of developing a viable product long term.

Dash's 'decentralized budget' is funded with about 220 DASH per day (6900 DASH per month). That comes to about 30K USD, with a significant portion going to things like buying overpriced domain names, PR, subsidized 'liquidity providers' (aka paid Sybil attackers) for Darksend, and soda machine projects, all of which have nothing to do with developent, while at the same time skimming from mining rewards and therefore reducing hash rate and the security of the network.

Every credible Monero paid development proposal has been crowdfunded generally within 1-2 days, some with amounts of 10K USD or more. That is in addition to significant volunteer developer contributions of time, and donations to the core project expenses.

There is no shortage of funding here compared to Dash. Try another FUD.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2016, 05:37:04 AM

Dash's 'decentralized budget' is funded with about 220 DASH per day (6900 DASH per month). That comes to about 30K USD, with a significant portion going to things like buying overpriced domain names, PR, subsidized 'liquidity providers' (aka paid Sybil attackers) for Darksend, and soda machine projects, all of which have nothing to do with developent, while at the same time skimming from mining rewards and therefore reducing hash rate and the security of the network.

Every credible Monero paid development proposal has been crowdfunded generally within 1-2 days, some with amounts of 10K USD or more. That is in addition to significant volunteer developer contributions of time, and donations to the core project expenses.

There is no shortage of funding here compared to Dash. Try another FUD.

Dash is DigitaltrASH.

Why?  Because of this:

Only systems that are structurally incompatible with fraud don't suffer from the overhang of potential fraud.

Smooth's Razor®

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 08:03:10 AM

I really fail to comprehend how Dash (or darkcoin or w/e crap name they come up with next week) has any value at all in a market that also has Monero. I guess the market will correct at some point.
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 09:30:44 AM

I really fail to comprehend how Dash (or darkcoin or w/e crap name they come up with next week) has any value at all in a market that also has Monero. I guess the market will correct at some point.

3 reasons

1) GUI
2) Masternodes
3) Soda

Smiley

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
tifozi

Activity: 742
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 10:31:45 AM

Alice Homemade: first restaurant in the world to accept XMR?

Awesome news. Thanks for sharing Smiley This should have been mirrored in the speculation thread. Comes close on the heels of @letsplayagame offering first real services for XMR.
BoscoMurray

Activity: 450

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 01:48:28 PM

With regard to the GUI, can we be sure it fits in a 14in 1920x1080 laptop screen neatly, still looks the part and functions are easily to hand?

Quite a few GUI's I've seen recently don't fit into a 14in LCD which I think is poor as it's a common size these days.
Herp

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 02:08:52 PM

Dash aims to create real cash that everyone can use not only some coder geeks selling each other pot in between coding sessions from a wallet command prompt. There's a big focus on user adoption, ease of use, viable funding method and so on. This is the only way the project can grow and become a real alternative to cash.

Monero thinks small time and still entrenched in this niche bullshit mindset.

████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████▐████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
DECENT
FOUNDATION

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[C]ontent distribution

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[E]ncrypted & secure
[N]o borders
[T]imeless reputation

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 02:35:21 PM

Dash aims to create real cash that everyone can use not only some coder geeks selling each other pot in between coding sessions from a wallet command prompt. There's a big focus on user adoption, ease of use, viable funding method and so on. This is the only way the project can grow and become a real alternative to cash.

Dash is centralized with a single point of failure. Dead on arrival.
Herp

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 02:54:02 PM

Funny because it's exactly the opposite.

Dash has a decentralized governance model and a decentralized budget system as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2bx0quM-h0

Whole project is structured as a virtual decentralized corporation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEJKZjTx9Bg

████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████▐████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
DECENT
FOUNDATION

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[C]ontent distribution

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[E]ncrypted & secure
[N]o borders
[T]imeless reputation

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

Xtrata

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 03:39:18 PM

Dash has a decentralized governance model and a decentralized budget system as well.

More and more FUD, DASH is PREMINED. Keep that shit coin for urself.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 03:51:18 PM

I think you forgot to include that only Evan Duffield currently holds the "spork key", therefore it makes him a centralized point of failure.

Pages: « 1 ... 1414 1415 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 1431 1432 1433 1434 1435 1436 1437 1438 1439 1440 1441 1442 1443 1444 1445 1446 1447 1448 1449 1450 1451 1452 1453 1454 1455 1456 1457 1458 1459 1460 1461 1462 1463 [1464] 1465 1466 1467 1468 1469 1470 1471 1472 1473 1474 1475 1476 1477 1478 1479 1480 1481 1482 1483 1484 1485 1486 1487 1488 1489 1490 1491 1492 1493 1494 1495 1496 1497 1498 1499 1500 1501 1502 1503 1504 1505 1506 1507 1508 1509 1510 1511 1512 1513 1514 ... 2125 »
  Print  

Jump to: