Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 05:51:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 1431 1432 1433 1434 1435 1436 1437 1438 1439 1440 1441 1442 1443 1444 1445 1446 1447 1448 1449 1450 1451 1452 1453 1454 1455 1456 1457 1458 1459 1460 1461 1462 1463 1464 1465 1466 1467 1468 1469 [1470] 1471 1472 1473 1474 1475 1476 1477 1478 1479 1480 1481 1482 1483 1484 1485 1486 1487 1488 1489 1490 1491 1492 1493 1494 1495 1496 1497 1498 1499 1500 1501 1502 1503 1504 1505 1506 1507 1508 1509 1510 1511 1512 1513 1514 1515 1516 1517 1518 1519 1520 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667403 times)
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2016, 07:44:32 PM

"commit to disk" he means never save the seed in a text file, for example.

there are also ways to only save files in ram in linux, so they get erased upon shutdown.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
February 26, 2016, 07:54:38 PM

there are also ways to only save files in ram in linux, so they get erased upon shutdown.

I think you could improve safety here by booting from a Linux (Ubuntu) USB stick with the generator on it. @phishead, I could walk you through it if you want on IRC.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 26, 2016, 08:14:26 PM

I think you could improve safety here by booting from a Linux (Ubuntu) USB stick with the generator on it. @phishead, I could walk you through it if you want on IRC.

Maybe post is here afterwards?  I'm sure others would benefit greatly from such a tutorial if it does not exist!

dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
February 26, 2016, 08:48:03 PM

Maybe post is here afterwards?  I'm sure others would benefit greatly from such a tutorial if it does not exist!

Yeah I'll try to make a guide for it, it's long overdue as well.

Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
wpalczynski
Legendary

View Profile
February 26, 2016, 09:01:15 PM

Thanks

GingerAle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2016, 04:05:06 AM

Thanks

I guess the video I made... is too long?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJQ5prfNfZQ&list=PLSNOd7dPYo3d2NRiybNNZf0xb6TKvh_UJ

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
pönde

Activity: 308
Merit: 109

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 11:07:22 AM

./simplewallet --generate-from-view-key address:viewkey:filename

That is the way the view-only-wallet is created for simplewallet in linux command line. What is the command to create a full wallet by allready created nmemonic seed?
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 12:02:00 PM

./simplewallet --generate-from-view-key address:viewkey:filename

That is the way the view-only-wallet is created for simplewallet in linux command line. What is the command to create a full wallet by allready created nmemonic seed?

./simplewallet --restore-deterministic-wallet

dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 03:33:42 PM

Meanwhile, our core-team member Riccardo "fluffypony" Spagni is currently present at the Satoshi Roundtable:

http://satoshiroundtable.org/

Herp

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 05:53:56 PM

I see volume keeps going lower as I have predicted. Sitting somewhere around 75k now, down from 700-800k fake volume. Expect price to follow on its way down to 4mil market cap.

Get the lube ready boys. It will be a very rough ride.

███████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████▐████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
DECENT
FOUNDATION

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[D]ecentralized application
[E]liminated third parties
[C]ontent distribution

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[E]ncrypted & secure
[N]o borders
[T]imeless reputation

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 06:21:12 PM

This belongs in the speculation thread. Responded there. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=753252.msg14030470#msg14030470

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
CrowdWhale

Activity: 799

Twitter: @CrowdWhale

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 07:02:44 PM

I see volume keeps going lower as I have predicted. Sitting somewhere around 75k now, down from 700-800k fake volume. Expect price to follow on its way down to 4mil market cap.

Get the lube ready boys. It will be a very rough ride.

Too bad you don't know how to interpret volume.
phishead

Activity: 1873
Merit: 840

Keep what's important, and know who's your friend

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2016, 07:37:17 PM

Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJQ5prfNfZQ&list=PLSNOd7dPYo3d2NRiybNNZf0xb6TKvh_UJ

Nice! I didn't even know that those videos existed!

Is there any way we could post a sticky in the monero subreddit that we can direct people who are technologically handicapped (like me) to so new people that come in can look at these videos if they are having trouble setting up things?  Or better yet, on the side bar?  I think videos that have someone like you show step by step what you are doing to set things up are a lot easier to follow than anything else (for me at least).  Looks like I got a busy day ahead of me tomorrow when I get some more free time on my hands to set up everything.

If I could make a request, maybe post a video showing how you set up monerodo?  I know I'm being super lazy and have been taking up your time for a while now asking you questions about monerodo; but I feel I can speak for the majority of people who don't have a great technical knowledge about computers, nor have the time to sit down and learn everything about computers and the terminology that comes with it. 

Like for instance, I still don't know much about Linux like why should we use Linux, how to set it up, using command lines, etc... and when I do try to learn about it, I feel like I'm taking courses on Linux in general, when I only want to know the bare minimum to use monero on my computer.

Hopefully, I don't sound annoying to you guys... but I think it will eventually help people who aren't "computer people" and just want to use monero as a currency while supporting the network (nodes, mining, etc.). 

Maybe the community will be willing to chip in some monero to increase the incentive for GingerAle to work on these video tutorials that helps "newbies" like me?  I know I'll be willing to throw a little bit in there. Smiley
wpalczynski
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 07:56:39 PM

Maybe post is here afterwards?  I'm sure others would benefit greatly from such a tutorial if it does not exist!

Thanks

Nice! I didn't even know that those videos existed!

Is there any way we could post a sticky in the monero subreddit that we can direct people who are technologically handicapped (like me) to so new people that come in can look at these videos if they are having trouble setting up things?  Or better yet, on the side bar?  I think videos that have someone like you show step by step what you are doing to set things up are a lot easier to follow than anything else (for me at least).  Looks like I got a busy day ahead of me tomorrow when I get some more free time on my hands to set up everything.

If I could make a request, maybe post a video showing how you set up monerodo?  I know I'm being super lazy and have been taking up your time for a while now asking you questions about monerodo; but I feel I can speak for the majority of people who don't have a great technical knowledge about computers, nor have the time to sit down and learn everything about computers and the terminology that comes with it.  

Like for instance, I still don't know much about Linux like why should we use Linux, how to set it up, using command lines, etc... and when I do try to learn about it, I feel like I'm taking courses on Linux in general, when I only want to know the bare minimum to use monero on my computer.

Hopefully, I don't sound annoying to you guys... but I think it will eventually help people who aren't "computer people" and just want to use monero as a currency while supporting the network (nodes, mining, etc.).  

Maybe the community will be willing to chip in some monero to increase the incentive for GingerAle to work on these video tutorials that helps "newbies" like me?  I know I'll be willing to throw a little bit in there. Smiley

All very valid questions.  I'm sure no one here finds them annoying, quite the contrary I'm pretty sure many people also benefit from the answers.

explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 09:09:30 PM

All very valid questions.  I'm sure no one here finds them annoying, quite the contrary I'm pretty sure many people also benefit from the answers.

Ditto.

It seems there is often enough time to lurk and absorb what others have the time to ask/explain, but never enough free time to dig in on my own.  Repetition and sometimes remediation are required to get it right and make it stick.  Lurk, learn, accumulate.  Keep it up  Grin
e-coinomist
Legendary

Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085

Money often costs too much.

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 09:17:55 PM

Your description of the JVM makes you look like a caveman, or at least a philistine.  A caveman with a good sense of mass, admittedly, but a caveman nonetheless.
You can. But let's face it - in a language not meant to express things as complex as human thoughts, but rather logic, you don't need or want ridiculous shit - which is why comparing it to English doesn't make sense.

The JVM can be fast - I'm not saying Java is *always* slow - usually it's up to the dev - but it's bloated and heavy as hell. It takes you away from the machine and basically puts you in an environment that is far from the machine, which I have a strong distaste for, I will admit. I want to be able to at least use intrinsics to make the compiler emit certain instructions, if I can't inline assembly myself, in cases requiring extreme performance. I feel that Java is a scripting language that wants to pretend it's okay for performance-critical things, or large projects that are sensitive to bloat, but it's not. If I wanted to whip something up quiick to run on any platform, sure - but if I want real control over what's being executed, which is what I write, as a developer, I want to use something that gives me that.

Your feelings deceive yourselfe, the java compiler is called javac https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_compiler

The only drawbacks on using Java are, my humble opinion: Adds another dependancy. The lesser, the better.
Oh, and R.I.P SUN https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Microsystems
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 09:22:36 PM

@phishead, Linux is often used because it is less prone to malware/keyloggers/rootkits etc. It's because most users use Windows. Therefore it isn't beneficial for malware/keylogger/rootkit makers to create something that "infiltrates" Linux.

Furthermore, I think you ask valid questions and we should discuss on how to set up such a thing as you describe.

c789

Activity: 850

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 11:01:41 PM

@phishead, Linux is often used because it is less prone to malware/keyloggers/rootkits etc. It's because most users use Windows. Therefore it isn't beneficial for malware/keylogger/rootkit makers to create something that "infiltrates" Linux.

Furthermore, I think you ask valid questions and we should discuss on how to set up such a thing as you describe.

Also, Linux is open source. That means people can review the source code of the operating system (Ubuntu, Fedora, etc.) and tweak it at the source code level, if they so desire. This also means that you can verify that no backdoors have been built into your OS. With Windows or Mac, you have to trust Microsoft and Apple to not put in backdoors.

Comparison of Privacy-Centric Coins: https://moneroforcash.com/monero-vs-dash-vs-zcash-vs-bitcoinmixers.php also includes Verge and Pivx
GingerAle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2016, 11:19:33 PM

so little free time these days. well, I've discovered its easy to have free time, its more difficult to have free project time. I.e., 3 hour chunks. I've found with 1 hour I can't do squat.

Right now I'm trying for the life of me to get the goddamned UUI to work again. somehow or another unetbootin just borked my USB drive, so now that damn thing either won't boot, and when it did, it went straight to the live OS (with no installer menu / process).

I know, I know, not monero's problems. But yeah.

When I get the monerodo OS happy again, i'll make videos. As it stands now, the existing iso files should only be used by those who can hack some of the config files.

americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 28, 2016, 01:19:49 AM

so little free time these days. well, I've discovered its easy to have free time, its more difficult to have free project time. I.e., 3 hour chunks. I've found with 1 hour I can't do squat.

Right now I'm trying for the life of me to get the goddamned UUI to work again. somehow or another unetbootin just borked my USB drive, so now that damn thing either won't boot, and when it did, it went straight to the live OS (with no installer menu / process).

I know, I know, not monero's problems. But yeah.

When I get the monerodo OS happy again, i'll make videos. As it stands now, the existing iso files should only be used by those who can hack some of the config files.

I have fantasies of an easy-to-use XMR node/miner box sold and shipped using your Monerodo OS, with profit from sales going back into dev funds, and a little for everyone involved.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
Pages: « 1 ... 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 1431 1432 1433 1434 1435 1436 1437 1438 1439 1440 1441 1442 1443 1444 1445 1446 1447 1448 1449 1450 1451 1452 1453 1454 1455 1456 1457 1458 1459 1460 1461 1462 1463 1464 1465 1466 1467 1468 1469 [1470] 1471 1472 1473 1474 1475 1476 1477 1478 1479 1480 1481 1482 1483 1484 1485 1486 1487 1488 1489 1490 1491 1492 1493 1494 1495 1496 1497 1498 1499 1500 1501 1502 1503 1504 1505 1506 1507 1508 1509 1510 1511 1512 1513 1514 1515 1516 1517 1518 1519 1520 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: